NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 674 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Wow really? Who was the genius responsible for that sage advice? :rolleyes:

Can't remember where I read the suggestion (don't think it was the SAGE committee!). I vaguely think it was some opinion columnist.

Actually I'm completely confused as to what the position now is with under 18s and vaccinations. Keep seeing contradictory reports as to what's been decided, or if any decision has even been made. Seems very clear COVID is being spread across communities via schools, though - probably they should have made a decision about vaccinating children before they sent them all back to school.

I suspect we are heading towards another lockdown. The BMA is now asking the government to reintroduce things like mask mandates.

The government keeps repeating the same mistake - doing too little early on, and then having to do something drastic when things get out of hand.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Pharmacies nationwide are offering booster appointments for all vaccines based on the updated CDC guidelines. My 98 year old grandfather just got his Moderna booster at a Walmart.

I'll get mine in the next couple days.
I scheduled my Moderna booster yesterday afternoon for next Thursday at noon, then realized it was scheduled for 20 hours before I am scheduled to see my new dentist (1st dental appt in ~2 years, because my old dentist retired then, followed by pandemic). I figured not smart to see new dentist 20 hours after covid booster, who knows how I'll be feeling?! I rescheduled the booster for 24 hours later, i.e. 3.5 hours after dental appointment!

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
An article on CNN indicates that a study of some 11 million people showed vaccinated people were less likely to die from anything in the period December 2020-July 2021. Pfizer vaccines were 34% as likely to die as unvaccinated, J&J 54% and Moderna 31%. They did remove covid deaths for both groups from the calculations. I don't know how much is correlation versus causation. I just thought it was interesting and I am happy to be alive in that 31% group.

Reactions: Muse and pmv

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I was in my local CVS today picking up medication and there were several folks in line to get a booster. (they had both mRNA shots)

I will be getting one for sure but I just got multiple vaccines last week (shingles #1, TD booster & influenza) and I want to space them out a bit more since I'm still feeling a bit run down.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Edit: Disregard. I see that pmv posted a similar article on Tuesday from theguardian.

10 a.m.

Unvaccinated people will likely catch COVID-19 once every 16 months, according to a new study out of UNC Charlotte.

The durability and effectiveness of natural antibodies against the COVID-19 virus has been one of the most debated and misunderstood elements of fighting the pandemic.

Researchers out of UNC Charlotte looked at other human-infecting coronaviruses as well as SARS-CoV-2 and analyzed the durability of immunity and time it would take to likely be reinfected.

Their findings, published here in The Lancet, found that the average unvaccinated person could expect to catch COVID-19 every 16 months.

The study authors said that suggests public health measures should remain in place for an extended period of time.

"As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, reinfection is likely to become increasingly common. Maintaining public health measures that curb transmission-including among individuals who were previously infected with SARS-CoV-2-coupled with persistent efforts to accelerate vaccination worldwide is critical to the prevention of COVID-19 morbidity and mortality."

Do you think this information accurate?

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I was in my local CVS today picking up medication and there were several folks in line to get a booster. (they had both mRNA shots)

I will be getting one for sure but I just got multiple vaccines last week (shingles #1, TD booster & influenza) and I want to space them out a bit more since I'm still feeling a bit run down.
Yeah, definaltey ask before getting your booster. I had to wait i think 2 months after my 2nd covid dose before i could get my 1st shingles & a minimum of 2 months between shingles #1 & #2 so it's possible you might have to time these correctly.

Reactions: Captante

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I sent this to some relatives/friends over the weekend:

Just saw this on MSNBC. Source: Heterologous SARS-COV-2 booster vaccinations: preliminary report, October 19, 2021. If you got JnJ first, here is the increase in antibody levels after 15 days for each of the potential boosters. In first place with 76x increase is Moderna. Next with 35x is Ppppffffizer. And pulling up the rear with a notable lack of excitement is JnJ with a 4x increase.

edit: as long as I'm here, I got my pfizer booster after 2 pfizer shots back in March.

Here's an anecdote that shouldn't scare anyone but I believe in sharing ALL relevant info.

My first 2 Pf shots had virtually no side effects. The only thing I'm excluding with the "virtually" there is some very minor pain at the injections site. The booster however kicked my crusty ass hard. I've never had those "body aches" people always reference as to the flu. Well . . . I know now what phrase means and it really is quite unpleasant. My shoulder was screaming the next morning as well. A fist full of advil/motrin was mostly able to manage it though and it was surprisingly transient.

Explain something to me though. If you never get a flu shot and get those "body aches" when you do catch it, why? I really can't imagine having to deal with that for days at a time. Maybe I'm just a wienie. I confess. But there's so much shit to deal with already, why add more?

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I sent this to some relatives/friends over the weekend:

edit: as long as I'm here, I got my pfizer booster after 2 pfizer shots back in March.

Here's an anecdote that shouldn't scare anyone but I believe in sharing ALL relevant info.

My first 2 Pf shots had virtually no side effects. The only thing I'm excluding with the "virtually" there is some very minor pain at the injections site. The booster however kicked my crusty ass hard. I've never had those "body aches" people always reference as to the flu. Well . . . I know now what phrase means and it really is quite unpleasant. My shoulder was screaming the next morning as well. A fist full of advil/motrin was mostly able to manage it though and it was surprisingly transient.

Explain something to me though. If you never get a flu shot and get those "body aches" when you do catch it, why? I really can't imagine having to deal with that for days at a time. Maybe I'm just a wienie. I confess. But there's so much shit to deal with already, why add more?
Yeah, I get the flu shot because I don't want to be sick for a week, not because I think I would die of it.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Moderna says its Covid vaccine generates strong immune response in 6- to 11-year-olds

Moderna said Monday a smaller dosage of its Covid-19 vaccine is safe and generates a strong immune response in a study of children ages 6 to 11.

Two 50 micrograms of the shot, half the dosage that’s given to adults, produced antibody levels that were 1.5 times higher than those seen in young adults, the company said in a press release, citing early data from a phase 2/3 trial.

The shots were also safe and generally well-tolerated in young kids; the most common side effects were fatigue, headache, fever, and injection site pain, according to the company. The vaccine was tested on more than 4,700 children.

Reactions: Zorba

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Bit of an arm ache after my booster but otherwise fine here. Flu shot slowed me down more for a day.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Yeah, I get the flu shot because I don't want to be sick for a week, not because I think I would die of it.

i got the flu in december for 10 years in a row... feeling like crap for 4-5 days of my christmas vacation always sucked

finally i got the shot because work was incentivizing it, and it broke my flu streak

since then i've gotten the shot every year for 10 years and haven't had the flu one time

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
i got the flu in december for 10 years in a row... feeling like crap for 4-5 days of my christmas vacation always sucked

finally i got the shot because work was incentivizing it, and it broke my flu streak

since then i've gotten the shot every year for 10 years and haven't had the flu one time
That is some bad luck. I've never (knowingly) had the flu, but hate being sick in general, so if there is a shot for it, stick it in my shoulder.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
As I mentioned a few posts back I got the flu vax, TD (tetanus) booster and shingles #1 last week and have been feeling a bit run down/tired.

Going to schedule a Moderna booster @ CVS the end of the week.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
An article on CNN indicates that a study of some 11 million people showed vaccinated people were less likely to die from anything in the period December 2020-July 2021. Pfizer vaccines were 34% as likely to die as unvaccinated, J&J 54% and Moderna 31%. They did remove covid deaths for both groups from the calculations. I don't know how much is correlation versus causation. I just thought it was interesting and I am happy to be alive in that 31% group.

I suppose part of it is that people who were smart enough to get vaxxed are less likely to do the things that get themselves killed, period. People who make bad decisions do that in a multitude of ways. I saw very angry people carrying signs on the news last night screaming at the top of their lungs with very ugly faces "we won't comply!" Those people are apt to make bad decisions left and right.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Same here. I hate any upper respiratory infection, especially if it's more than the sniffles and other minor symptoms. The ones that lay me in bed for a day or more and not sure like being alive are the worst. Getting a shot that makes that less likely is something I'll do every time.

The last upper respiratory infection I had was in late November, 2019. Covid-19? Unlikely, but I think not impossible by any means. It seemed to be remarkably persistent.

The only flu shot I've missed for many years is last year's because I didn't want to risk catching covid-19, I was very careful and at the time, knowledge about the transmission was sketchy. Besides, I figured that careful as I was to not expose myself to covid-19 meant that I was very very unlikely to get the flu either. I had my flu shot about 2 weeks ago. Will get my Moderna booster in 4 days.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Need to schedule my booster shot, since I got a J&J back in April. Given the current availability and ease of scheduling, I may just go for a mix and match approach...
If I had J&J, I would consider getting 2 doses of one of the others just to have better protection going far into 2022.

I fully expect people to start relaxing more and more by next May, but pockets of this crap continuing to pop up. My wife is pushing me hard to get vaccinated because she's seeing people die right now that are pretty young. One of her patients is in her 30s and they'll be taking her off the vent today or tomorrow.

My new job starts next week. I found out a lady in the office just lost her 22 year old daughter to COVID 3 weeks ago and she's become the guardian of her 2 young kids. Apparently, Delta is really hitting younger, overweight people the hardest right now. Additionally, young mothers are at huge risk to die after giving birth. I've heard of that happening more often than it should ever happen.

Reactions: Muse
Dec 10, 2005
If I had J&J, I would consider getting 2 doses of one of the others just to have better protection going far into 2022.
I don't think 2 additional doses of another vaccine are really warranted. One additional dose should suffice, based on the available data.

Furthermore, the one shot vaccine was still pretty effective on its own in clinical trials and from real-world data. Maybe not as much if you want to play the dubious head-to-head comparison game and compare real-world data from different countries (which is quite confusing given different definitions used). The key metric for all vaccines and what they were tested for is keeping people alive and out of hospitals, which they all do quite well.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006

I fully expect people to start relaxing more and more by next May, but pockets of this crap continuing to pop up. My wife is pushing me hard to get vaccinated because she's seeing people die right now that are pretty young. One of her patients is in her 30s and they'll be taking her off the vent today or tomorrow.

My new job starts next week. I found out a lady in the office just lost her 22 year old daughter to COVID 3 weeks ago and she's become the guardian of her 2 young kids. Apparently, Delta is really hitting younger, overweight people the hardest right now. Additionally, young mothers are at huge risk to die after giving birth. I've heard of that happening more often than it should ever happen.

This post reads like it's July-August 2021.