NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 670 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I've got the QR code from the CDC on my phone. But, because of HIPPA I imagine, after it's scanned I have to provide my password.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Honestly give it 10-20 years I won't be surprised if they'll be pushing something that goes on the body. Bar code using invisible ink that the scanner can still pickup (nobody will want an actual visible one) or RFID implant maybe. I don't think they'll hide it, they're not going to try to trick people into something like some of the conspiracies say. They'll be upfront about it and it will be optional at first, and the sheep will just follow. "It's just a chip oh well. I have nothing to hide. It's so convenient!". Any public place you go you just scan your hand at the door and the guard lets you in if it goes green. It will be faster than having to pull out your phone or whatever ID system they have at that point. Will double as a way to pay too. When they bring out the interac machine you just scan your hand in front of it.
Or they just use biometrics.

Had a story on the radio where many in intelligence have been compromised. Alias passports being a no go in many locales was a reason that was suggest as contributing to that.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I've got the QR code from the CDC on my phone. But, because of HIPPA I imagine, after it's scanned I have to provide my password.
HIPPA applies ONLY to your health care providers, insurance, health care clearinghouses, and subsidiaries of them that deal directly with health information.

HIPPA does not apply to your employer (unless you work at one of the four places listed above) or anyone else. Meaning they can do what they want with your information once you have given that information to them.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
HIPPA applies ONLY to your health care providers, insurance, health care clearinghouses, and subsidiaries of them that deal directly with health information.

HIPPA does not apply to your employer (unless you work at one of the four places listed above) or anyone else. Meaning they can do what they want with your information once you have given that information to them.
Hmm, it just thought the CDC made the QR code feature to make it easier to prove I was vaccinated, say, to a foreign country. I wasn't thinking about anything related to an employer.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Anti-maskers have no compunctions about faking a card/buying a fake. We know this.
Guy at work said he's just buy a fake card if he needed one to get into a concert. Then someone told him no, don't buy one, i got a relative that's a pharmacist, they have a big stack of them(fakes).

:rolleyes: :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Guy at work said he's just buy a fake card if he needed one to get into a concert. Then someone told him no, don't buy one, i got a relative that's a pharmacist, they have a big stack of them(fakes).

:rolleyes: :mad:

Sounds like a job for the FBI tip-line. :mad:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Honestly give it 10-20 years I won't be surprised if they'll be pushing something that goes on the body. Bar code using invisible ink that the scanner can still pickup (nobody will want an actual visible one) or RFID implant maybe. I don't think they'll hide it, they're not going to try to trick people into something like some of the conspiracies say. They'll be upfront about it and it will be optional at first, and the sheep will just follow. "It's just a chip oh well. I have nothing to hide. It's so convenient!". Any public place you go you just scan your hand at the door and the guard lets you in if it goes green. It will be faster than having to pull out your phone or whatever ID system they have at that point. Will double as a way to pay too. When they bring out the interac machine you just scan your hand in front of it.
I want the chip in my forehead so I can bang my head on the cash register to buy stuff.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I want the chip in my forehead so I can bang my head on the cash register to buy stuff.

I'm guessing that if you try this, even without a chip they'll allow you to leave with your stuff! (of course you MAY not get far!)

:p

would-you-just-gcs05c.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Hmm if the chip ends up requiring power they can put a little piezo electric generator in there. The only way to activate it is to bang your head.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
there's a conference that i always enjoyed going to, and although last year was canceled they decided to resume it this year.

i used to be excited about going but now i can't imagine myself attending ever again. it gets PACKED in those halls.

there's no way i'll be going to a museum or a movie theater or a shopping center or a sporting event for a long, long time.

riding buses or planes is out of the question. and with on-site work starting again next year, i think i might need to look for a full remote job.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
At this point, who the hell hasn't gotten covid, gotten the vaccine, or both?

"More than 80% of Americans 16 and older have some level of immunity against the coronavirus, mostly through vaccination, a survey of blood donations indicates."

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
At this point, who the hell hasn't gotten covid, gotten the vaccine, or both?

"More than 80% of Americans 16 and older have some level of immunity against the coronavirus, mostly through vaccination, a survey of blood donations indicates."

My prediction is that there will be a last "wave" of cases around late December, but probably not as scary as summer in the deep South. There are still plenty of unvaccinated communities in America and so the holidays will bring back some waves of infections. By spring, I expect the U.S. to be out of the pandemic woods, so to speak. COVID-19 will still be around, but the hospitalization counts will be much more manageable in 2022. That doesn't mean the threat of new variants goes away either, but that is fairly unpredictable. We know places like sub-Saharan Africa will take a long time to vaccinate.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Now that we had thanksgiving I am curious if they're going to declare a new wave now, or maybe wait until after Christmas. Last year it was after Christmas that we had another lock down. Technically even Boxing Day we were not allowed to see family. We did anyway though, we just made sure to minimize vehicles so it does not look like there's a lot of people at one house. I'm not really sure what the limits are now days we just do whatever. I think they are done with lockdowns now though, instead it will just be mandates and expanding the new ID system. Probably going to require it for more stuff such as groceries or even large home gatherings. Ex: whoever is the home owner will need to scan everyone's ID. I can see that coming at some point.

My city has 1 case here and there. 0 active right now. As far as I'm concerned it's no longer a threat here.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Clearly the official COVID death counts from Russia are hugely underestimated.

And sounds like vaccine "hesitancy" is at least as strong in Russia as anywhere else.

The natural population, a number calculated from registered deaths and births, excluding the impact of migration, declined by 997,000 between October 2020 and September 2021

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Spam post deleted.

Please don't quote spam posts.
admin allisolm

yeah-im-gonna-need-to-you-to-bend-over.jpg

And sounds like vaccine "hesitancy" is at least as strong in Russia as anywhere else.

Frankly if my only option was the Russian vaccine I'd be fairly "hesitant" myself. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Good. FDA approves the Moderna booster. Now we wait for the CDC to approve as well. They meet on the 20th.