NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 666 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
What they're fighting against is terminating people for non work performance related behavior. In a way, being on the street is probably more dangerous than a virus that has a 99.7% survival rate so this is not even about safety at all. Perceived safety should not trump job security. If the company feels the vaccine does not work well enough then they should continue to let people work from home. They're only doing this so they can expedite bringing everyone back to the office. Heck, they even require people who work from home permanently (some will get that privilege) to get vaccinated. There is no logic behind this mandate. I'm vaccinated myself, could not care less if someone sitting next to me is not. The vaccine has been shown to be very effective. If half the people don't want it, I don't really care. Their jobs should not be threatened by it, it's nuts to do that.
So you think around 1M people have died in the US "on the street" in the last 18 months? You honestly think walking outside has a death rate of 0.3%? Considering about 0.3% of the US population has ALREADY died of COVID, I think the survival rate of COVID is a bit less than 99.7%.

Having a vaccinated work force is having a safe workforce. It's also having a workforce that isn't missing a ton of work due to sickness and quarantines.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm truly amazed at people who continue to spout nonsensical opinions when the "science & statistics" disagree.:oops:

The science & statistics are on my side especially when you consider I have none of the below factors, so yeah, why fear a breakthrough case and the welcome natural immunity that comes from it.
  • Age<50
  • Underlying health conditions (comorbidity)
  • Vaccine status

View attachment 50716

View attachment 50717

View attachment 50719

The only non-sensical opinion I'm seeing here is yours and a few other folks who are either in denial or have suspect agenda's of their own.

Substantially over 600k dead Americans (and counting) completely agree.... or at least they would except THEY'RE DEAD!

Thanks but I'll stick with the advice actual doctors I know I can trust give me over Dr ATOT. (aka Dr Stupid)

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse and pmv

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Not really a surprise

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused the biggest decrease in life expectancy since World War II

(Study based on figures from US, Europe, and Chile ... my guess is the true global picture might be even worse)

To contextualize, it took on average 5.6 years for these countries to achieve a one-year increase in life expectancy recently: progress wiped out over the course of 2020 by COVID-19.’

Across most of the 29 countries, males saw larger life expectancy declines than females. The largest declines in life expectancy were observed among males in the US, who saw a decline of 2.2 years relative to 2019 levels, followed by Lithuanian males (1.7 years).

Mar 11, 2004
The only non-sensical opinion I'm seeing here is yours and a few other folks who are either in denial or have suspect agenda's of their own.

Substantially over 600k dead Americans (and counting) completely agree.... or at least they would except THEY'RE DEAD!

Thanks but I'll stick with the advice actual doctors I know I can trust give me over Dr ATOT. (aka Dr Stupid)

How dare you! Can't you see he's a Dr! Says it right there in his username!

• Haha
Reactions: Muse and Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
How dare you! Can't you see he's a Dr! Says it right there in his username!
Fact: My first two initials are D and R, and I could sort of just go DR ______. Doesn't really confer a membership in the AMA.

Another fun fact: Lot's of AMA members are highly disreputable. How about the nutty woman doctor that Trump was using for a mouthpiece.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm truly amazed at people who continue to spout nonsensical opinions when the "science & statistics" disagree.:oops:

The science & statistics are on my side especially when you consider I have none of the below factors, so yeah, why fear a breakthrough case and the welcome natural immunity that comes from it.
  • Age<50
  • Vaccine status

View attachment 50716

View attachment 50717

View attachment 50719
The nature of the COVID infection does require some preparation of sorts in case you get the long complications. You need you own insurance policy in place in case decrease in stamina, cognition, or factors decreasing quality of life(modified taste and smell). The machinery of the world does not care about this type of suffering.

The statistics do not assert a point. You are inferring one.

Reactions: PingSpike

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Can we all stop talking out our ass -

Here we go with more statistics - now lets extrapolate! Who are most at risk? Population by age group. Percentage vaccinated. And lastly Natural Immunity.

So 32.2M folks in the 65 - 74 group with 95.7% vaxed = 1.4M Unvaxed and how many of those folks have tested positive?

And I get folks who say Trust The Science, I publish the Science and its move the goalpost!

View attachment 50687

View attachment 50686

It would help if you made your point (whatever it is) in coherent sentences, rather than just coming out with sentence-fragments followed by random, seemingly unrelated, graphs, and leaving the reader to try and figure out what you are trying to say.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante and Muse

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

• Age<50
  • Vaccine status

View attachment 50716

View attachment 50717

View attachment 50719

For example you say you have 'none of the following factors' then list "age<50". So are you saying you are over 50? And also your list includes "vaccine status" -what does it mean to say you don't have a "vaccine status"? Try to write in coherent English and maybe people might grasp what you are trying to say.

Reactions: Zorba and Muse

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
"Scientists have found three viruses in bats in Laos that are more similar to SARS-CoV-2 than any known viruses. Researchers say that parts of their genetic code bolster claims that the virus behind COVID-19 has a natural origin — but their discovery also raises fears that there are numerous coronaviruses with the potential to infect people.

The results, which are not peer reviewed, have been posted on the preprint server Research Square1. Particularly concerning is that the new viruses contain receptor binding domains that are almost identical to that of SARS-CoV-2, and can therefore infect human cells. The receptor binding domain allows SARS-CoV-2 to attach to a receptor called ACE2 on the surface of human cells to enter them."

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Portugal's Vaccination Report was published today:

Screenshot from 2021-09-29 00-14-54.png

- top left --- people with @ least one dose
- top right --- people fully vaccinated: includes people with just one dose that had a previous COVID infection as well as people that took the single dose vaccine
- middle left --- age groups
- middle center --- @ least one dose: people and percentage
- middle right --- fully vaccinated: people and percentage
- bottom left --- doses the country has received
- bottom right --- doses the country has administered

@ 1st we had a politician in charge of the vaccination but ... shall we say ... stuff happened ... and he was replaced by a rear admiral, and this man rose to the occasion and did a FANTASTIC JOB, despite Portugal having to wait for vaccines on several occasions, or he would have done an even better job. Pictured in the link below is the rear admiral i referred to.

Portugal is number ONE in the World of people fully vaccinated: https://www.euronews.com/2021/09/23/portugal-has-the-highest-covid-19-vaccination-rate-in-the-world

I'm honestly quite shocked by this!!!

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got my booster shot Monday evening. Got drowsy and fell asleep around 8pm which is super early for me. Yesterday was a train wreck. Body was aching all over and sore. Very slight fever and little bit of chills, but not too severe. Today feeling a little bit better and came in to work. I also got the flu shot at the same time. Glad I was able to get both of them.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I received my Pfizer study email about getting our booster shots last week. We have to get them to remain in the trial but it was opt in. I drug my feet on confirming and today received another email about needing people that are still in the study with only two doses to volunteer for the multivalent booster trial starting next month, I jumped on that option. So it appears the Pfizer multivalent trial will begin in Oct for those wondering.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Actually the guy is a whiny ass douchebag.
That's probably harsh. I wasn't sure what to make of it. Maybe my blood sugar was too low? :rolleyes: I get that he was satirizing people who are too cowardly to speak their minds. That was clear. And he was casting doubt on the messages of people who propagandize for the benefit of the wealthy and powerful. The rest? And yeah, it was too fucking long. I'll take Trevor Noah, Brian Tyler Cohen and A Closer Look any day over that guy.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Don't think it would be fair to post this in the "Covidiots" thread, sounds like he was just unlucky and a bit slow at getting round to getting the vaccine. But, wow. Younger people can be badly hit by this.

(same story without account requirement)

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Fauci kind of explains why there is a divide between the administration and some at the FDA/CDC who have different thresholds for boosting.

I'm generally inclined to agree that symptomatic disease is indeed a real problem that if it can be alleviated by boosting it probably should be given that the risks of another dose are negligible.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I haven't been sick since before the pandemic. I didn't bother to do what my doctor said, i.e. get my flu shot in late 2020. I think I may get mine today, though, 'cause I'm vaxxed for covid. Probably no biggie. I'd wait for my booster, but it's gonna be Moderna, so who knows when. Well, maybe Moderna will be approved in a few weeks?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I haven't been sick since before the pandemic. I didn't bother to do what my doctor said, i.e. get my flu shot in late 2020. I think I may get mine today, though, 'cause I'm vaxxed for covid. Probably no biggie. I'd wait for my booster, but it's gonna be Moderna, so who knows when. Well, maybe Moderna will be approved in a few weeks?

Just wear a good mask and go get it. Got my flu shot last week when I had to go in for lab work.

Reactions: Muse