NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 457 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I get annoyed when people keep talking about a vacinne. We are at least 1 year away from a vaccine. Even if and when we get a vaccine, it's going to take sometime to get the vaccine to the majority of people even willing to take it. Remember that there are going to be many Americans who aren't going to take it.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I get annoyed when people keep talking about a vacinne. We are at least 1 year away from a vaccine. Even if and when we get a vaccine, it's going to take sometime to get the vaccine to the majority of people even willing to take it. Remember that there are going to be many Americans who aren't going to take it.
And I'll bet a lot of them won't wear a mask either.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I don't agree with this. Given how much virus we've got we should be able to se an efficacy signal soonish and probably authorize limited distribution of mRNA vaccines before the end of the year assuming there are no safety flags after 2nd dosing.

Nov 8, 2012

Yeaaaah, no......

Might want to rethink who the annoying person is.

And if people don't want to take the vaccines - then fuck em'. The quarantines end after vaccines are widely distributed and taken. If you want to take the risk of not taking it then that is on you.... and you're also in the same boat as low IQ morons like Jenny McCarthy and the reason that things like measles are making a comeback.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

LOLWUT? There's a lot to talk about regarding the vaccines, even during development/testing... and if the lockdowns are not already a thing of the past for most of the developed world, they certainly will be by next spring.

If this were still March then maybe you could say "at least a year" but it's not so you need to cut your estimate by "at least" half. You can expect significant roll-out among at-risk/vulnerable people including medical and frontline workers by the end of the year and full availability before spring. With significant numbers of previously-infected people already slowing the spread in the march toward herd immunity, there's little reason not to push for a return to normalcy by that point... even if winter brings a spike of cases.

With multiple vaccine candidates already demonstrating effectiveness, we've already won. The virus just doesn't know it yet. It doesn't matter what stubborn antivaxxers say or do. We'll have ours and the floodgates will be thrown wide open.

Nov 8, 2012
LOLWUT? There's a lot to talk about regarding the vaccines, even during development/testing... and if the lockdowns are not already a thing of the past for most of the developed world, they certainly will be by next spring.

If this were still March then maybe you could say "at least a year" but it's not so you need to cut your estimate by "at least" half. You can expect significant roll-out among at-risk/vulnerable people including medical and frontline workers by the end of the year and full availability before spring. With significant numbers of previously-infected people already slowing the spread in the march toward herd immunity, there's little reason not to push for a return to normalcy by that point... even if winter brings a spike of cases.

With multiple vaccine candidates already demonstrating effectiveness, we've already won. The virus just doesn't know it yet. It doesn't matter what stubborn antivaxxers say or do. We'll have ours and the floodgates will be thrown wide open.

A lot of people also seem to think that they won't be able to manufacture and distribute the vaccines within a reasonable amount of time - I hear a lot of morons comparing it to how the tests were developed/distributed.

Comparing those 2 isn't remotely reasonable and borderlines on having a mental deficiency to believe such garbage.

One was entirely unprepared... undeveloped... and massively needed all at once.

The other is something that is being constantly planned and anticipated for deployment right now before it even exists.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Wouldn't it be awesome if they offered the yearly flu vaccine with it for free, or even with some incentive? Like, no charge if you get the flu vaccine with it. Getting the same percentage of the population immune to flu could be our opportunity to seriously slow that down too... maybe even eliminate a particularly dangerous strain or two.

Nov 8, 2012
It's been a while since they re-opened theme parks if I recall.. wonder how that is working out going to theme parks like Disney World during COVID...

I'm sure in their huge ass mile long ride lines they are making sure to keep at least 6ft distance....

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It's been a while since they re-opened theme parks if I recall.. wonder how that is working out going to theme parks like Disney World during COVID...

I'm sure in their huge ass mile long ride lines they are making sure to keep at least 6ft distance....

Disney has managed capacity down but there are a lot of reports of infections amongst the workers.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

We went to Six Flags to check it out a few weeks ago, already have a membership so we could just walk out if it was bad, and it was actually fairly ok. Teens didn't really seem to care and many people took their masks off when wandering around the park but it actually wasn't all that bad. Certainly not as bad as I expected.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Actually going to Disney World right now wouldn't be bad idea. I think Disney is limiting attendance capacity to 20-30% so the lines shouldn't be that bad for rides. If you go during the weekday, it's probably pleasant experience considering the current events.

Nov 8, 2012
Actually going to Disney World right now wouldn't be bad idea. I think Disney is limiting attendance capacity to 20-30% so the lines shouldn't be that bad for rides. If you go during the weekday, it's probably pleasant experience considering the current events.

Wow, I'm surprised they are keeping it to 20-30%...

They must still be cutting their workforce, because I doubt they have all their normal rides,events, stores, etc... open with less than 1/3 of the normal audience.

I would have expected that they would be doing bullshit like "75% capacity"

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So we've been told working from home will continue until at least 1st quarter of 2021. At this point I think it will be all of 2021 but they are taking it a few months at a time to see if things change.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011

My sister and her family went the first part of Aug. She said it was fantastic. No lines, everyone wore masks, and just not that many people in the parks. They literally got off rides and went back on. She said sometimes they didn't even have to get off. Just sat in the same seats and rode whatever ride multiple times. They were there for 10 days and no symptoms for the few weeks they flew back home to Texas. That would've been the time to go. I'm sure it's busier now, but I don't think it's half as bad as it was before Covid.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Europe could be in big trouble with the virus -

I think that heading into the cold and flu season in the northern hemisphere means more pain and suffering for many countries, including ours. Just the way it is.

WRT Vaccine, assuming we have an effective vaccine by Q1 '21 (I'm very skeptical of that timeline), it will be Q3 '21 before things start to resemble "normal" again.

Reactions: Ajay

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
J&J just published results from their Phase 1/2 trial. Lot of fever adverse events not dissimilar from the Oxford adenovirus candidate, could just be a reality of the platform.

I kind of suspect the avoidance of 2nd dosing is to dodge likely more severe side effects. I mean one dose might well be enough but it's hard to know for sure which I guess could explain why they supersized their phase 3 trial.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Anyone want to become a school bus driver? lol. With covid lot of the drivers have been quitting as being a driver is not only driving but having to sanitize the whole bus etc... lot of drivers were retired people who did not exactly sign up for this.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Anyone want to become a school bus driver? lol. With covid lot of the drivers have been quitting as being a driver is not only driving but having to sanitize the whole bus etc... lot of drivers were retired people who did not exactly sign up for this.

Only if I get a cattle prod for any kids that get out of line.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Got married in Tahoe 2 weeks ago and nobody got sick and everyone had a great time. Win for me vs COVID.

timing checks out...so you're the one that sold those 300k used condoms to that warehouse owner in Vietnam last week?