NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 430 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Big Ten is expected to announce no football in 2020 soon.

I saw that DeSantis offered colleges to send their teams to FL to play. Which if they aren't in school kind of lays to an end that most of these kids are "student" who shouldn't be paid or have bargaining rights.
I thought Big 10 made that announcement yesterday. I think Pac 12 may make it today, I heard on news last night. I figure all the major conferences aren't far behind and probably "minor" too. Positive thing in my mind is that the people who still say this is a hoax are being pummeled with info that says this is no hoax.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
@K1052

Here's some news you're gonna love.

Russia has a vaccine that haven't gone through any real clinical trials (that I'm aware of). They plan to massively produce + distribute it worldwide as soon as possible.

Unknown Russian viral vector vaccine without any published data. Nope. Nope. Nope. Absolutely not.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I thought Big 10 made that announcement yesterday. I think Pac 12 may make it today, I heard on news last night. I figure all the major conferences aren't far behind and probably "minor" too. Positive thing in my mind is that the people who still say this is a hoax are being pummeled with info that says this is no hoax.

There was one leak yesterday but now it's becoming a fire hose.

edit and they have announced

https://bigten.org/news/2020/8/11/general-big-ten-statement-on-2020-21-fall-season.aspx

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I agree, I just wonder what the results are going to be and if other countries will buy them up.

Maybe somewhat effective like the Chinese adeno vaccine that they rushed out. Without much more info its hard to even hazard a guess. The Russians can't be trusted though since they sort of have a long and established history of overselling their technical achievements and lying about the failures.

They called this thing Sputnik V. They better hope it doesn't turn out to be N2 instead.

Nov 8, 2012
Maybe somewhat effective like the Chinese adeno vaccine that they rushed out. Without much more info its hard to even hazard a guess. The Russians can't be trusted though since they sort of have a long and established history of overselling their technical achievements and lying about the failures.

They called this thing Sputnik V. They better hope it doesn't turn out to be N2 instead.

Reading further...

Russia says it shows antibodies for 2 years.

Putin said his daughter took it and is doing great..

Supposedly they have already pre-sold a billion+ to a bunch of different countries.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
After 3 months or over 100 days, New Zealand is having new cases of virus. Australia has 19 deaths, 331 new cases just from the state of Victoria alone. Singapore has 61 new cases.

Yike.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
@K1052

Here's some news you're gonna love.

Russia has a vaccine that haven't gone through any real clinical trials (that I'm aware of). They plan to massively produce + distribute it worldwide as soon as possible.

I personally have a hard time believing Russia's daily new case numbers, and therefore their official totals.

Why? Do a search and see how many countries there are with such daily high numbers (as they report it) but behaving like Russia's: descending slightly but consistently, almost daily ever since June 16th. With such high daily numbers, one would expect some variability but it's almost like clockwork, and that's what makes me suspicious of their reported numbers.

I think this is why i think they are rushing with the vaccine.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Gov is buying the doses and will give them to the public free of charge

That is THE most cost effective thing they can do, assuming ofc the vaccine works as intended.

Why? Because making it free helps ensure EVERYONE can get it, thus reaching the all important herd immunity, @ which point EVERYTHING can be reopened like pre-COVID-19.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Naturally it's in their best interest with taxes falling across the board from a lack of spending, unemployment, etc...

Yes which is why they’re buying so many doses of different ones even before the trial results are in. Saves a lot of time.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Maybe somewhat effective like the Chinese adeno vaccine that they rushed out.
Is that the vaccine they were giving to the military? "Somewhat effective", any reports on that you know about? Well, any that are believable?

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Here(Pa) they're still debating on whether to have high school fall sports. Just postpone sports for now & see if we can get thru regular school. Maybe hold your indoor sports at the end of the year if things are looking ok & do outside sports in the spring if able.
I enjoy my HS/collage sports, esp. football but it's not worth dying over.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Is that the vaccine they were giving to the military? "Somewhat effective", any reports on that you know about? Well, any that are believable?

Yes, the data they released was sort of underwhelming even though some people showed an immune response. From what I have read part of the skill in making an adenovirus vector vaccine is picking a virus that hasn't been widely seen by people's immune systems already. This is likely the issue with their vaccine, the vector is getting beat by the immune system before it can get to the cells and start antigen production. Oxford solved this by using a chimp adenovirus basically guaranteed to be unknown to human immune systems.

Reactions: Ajay and Spacehead