NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 429 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah, a head of state shouldn't say things like that. But I'd take that shot, personally. Well, maybe not Russia's. Oxford/AZ, definitely.

Sketchy ass Russian vaccine? No thank you.

Oxford’s adenovirus based shot? Race you there.

Reactions: Muse

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
117071514_2670277086555151_4946630778203536999_o.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Zanovar

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
50k new cases a day, schools are opening up, a potentially severe hurricane season is about to kick into high gear, the Labor Day petri dish will ensue, flu season will start, and then winter begins, forcing everyone in close quarters with each other.

What could go wrong?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Friends in Singapore say there are new cases from the dorms for foreign workers that were cleared of the virus before. This damn virus is just like Jason of Friday The 13th.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
New Zealand suddenly has unexplained community spread after having zero known cases for 102 days. Well, "unexplained" in the sense that they can't tell where it came from since the people who tested positive had no known contact without outsiders (textbook "community spread").

It lingers, folks.

Suddenly, I feel like The Retro Future's "man on the street" Long Boy public reaction video was ill-advised despite the Jersey Channel Islands reportedly having no community spread:

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Friends in Singapore say there are new cases from the dorms for foreign workers that were cleared of the virus before. This damn virus is just like Jason of Friday The 13th.

After seeing the videos of what those places are like it will be nearly impossible to fully stamp it out as long as they're inhabited.

Ship like conditions.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Our school district finalized plans, by vote, last night. K & 1st in school A/B schedule. Not sure what's going on with preschool. The 'littles' just can't learn via remote education according to local (university) experts.
2nd-12th grade will be remote. Teachers have the option of doing remote teaching from their classroom or at home. This issue is due to be re-evaluated in 9 weeks, to make any adjustments based on data collected by the health department and the superintendent and staff. More plans put in place to monitor student and teacher participation; which was don't poorly this past spring. I don't think the state DOE or the district have provided enough technology support for the reopening, but more assistance is coming online this winter, as needed.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
You can stream it....and by stream it, I mean piss on it.

I watched this movie on netflix while riding an exercise bike. I think it was merely forgettable, never actually actively bad like say a modern Transformers movie. I have some weird fondness for Matthew Lillard so I enjoyed it regardless.

That said, I am not a wing commander fan so it probably craps all over the source material in ways I'm oblivious too.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Even if the "kids don't spread it" study is correct...that study was only for kids under 10 wasn't it? I guess that was magically extrapolated to middle and high school kids because legally they're all children and viruses abide by man's laws.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Even if the "kids don't spread it" study is correct...that study was only for kids under 10 wasn't it? I guess that was magically extrapolated to middle and high school kids because legally they're all children and viruses abide by man's laws.

Israel opened its high schools and almost immediately had huge outbreaks that sent the country's caseload through the roof.

Many Americans think that special rules apply to us in everything including biology and disdain expertise. There are consequences to denying reality.

Reactions: zinfamous and Muse

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Will be interesting here when they reopen the schools since we're doing decently well. I feel we could see a second wave in November-December. Maybe sooner, but I think it will take a bit of time.

I'm just glad my company decided to extend working from home.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
So the Uni I work for (Cornell) is taking a rather unprecedented step. For any who don't know, they're reopening in-person classes with a notion of 'bubbling' the local area (to the extent they can I guess) and use a very aggressive testing and trace/quarantine system to keep things under control. Many of us have been ... dubious about this working, but the logic behind their decision is sound, at least. They took surveys of the student body and upwards of 80-90% of the student population was coming back to the local area, whether we did in-person or online only, so at least with in-person the Uni can mandate tests/tracing/quarantining, as well as punishment for those that step out of line.

I am concerned, but thankfully I do not need to be on-campus to do my job. As of right now, our county has 230 positive cases and zero deaths. We've got some 12,000 warm bodies coming into the county over the next week or two. Per the paper linked below, they're estimating ~1250 new cases, and if they did online-only (whereupon they'd still have 9,000 students arriving) they'd have more like ~7200 cases. Disturbing numbers.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I can't believe so many kids are still coming back, since there's a good chance is going to get canceled after you've already paid or transformed into online at best. This seems like the year to live at home with mom and dad and wait it out. But I couldn't believe kids would go so far into debt before this to be honest.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I can't believe so many kids are still coming back, since there's a good chance is going to get canceled after you've already paid or transformed into online at best. This seems like the year to live at home with mom and dad and wait it out. But I couldn't believe kids would go so far into debt before this to be honest.
The part that surprised me is the number of students that are coming back to this town regardless of it being opened or closed. I think they just really, really want that 'college life' or whatever, damn the consequences.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
50k new cases a day, schools are opening up, a potentially severe hurricane season is about to kick into high gear, the Labor Day petri dish will ensue, flu season will start, and then winter begins, forcing everyone in close quarters with each other.

What could go wrong?
A crucial election to boot. I'm a hopin' and a prayin'. Demos roll over the repugs like a steam roller will answer a prayer of mine.

Reactions: Roger Wilco

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Big Ten is expected to announce no football in 2020 soon.

I saw that DeSantis offered colleges to send their teams to FL to play. Which if they aren't in school kind of lays to an end that most of these kids are "student" who shouldn't be paid or have bargaining rights.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So the Uni I work for (Cornell) is taking a rather unprecedented step. For any who don't know, they're reopening in-person classes with a notion of 'bubbling' the local area (to the extent they can I guess) and use a very aggressive testing and trace/quarantine system to keep things under control. Many of us have been ... dubious about this working, but the logic behind their decision is sound, at least. They took surveys of the student body and upwards of 80-90% of the student population was coming back to the local area, whether we did in-person or online only, so at least with in-person the Uni can mandate tests/tracing/quarantining, as well as punishment for those that step out of line.

I am concerned, but thankfully I do not need to be on-campus to do my job. As of right now, our county has 230 positive cases and zero deaths. We've got some 12,000 warm bodies coming into the county over the next week or two. Per the paper linked below, they're estimating ~1250 new cases, and if they did online-only (whereupon they'd still have 9,000 students arriving) they'd have more like ~7200 cases. Disturbing numbers.

Yeah, count me as very pessimistic this is going to work.