NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 343 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The legality of that is sketchy in some countries (United States in particular).

True, but I'm pretty sure it's doable. They close down highways here often when there are big snow storms so people don't travel in/out of the city. Same with forest fires. Whatever act is used for that could be used for the virus. From a legal stand point you're not necessarily stopping people from going out/in, you're just making it so the methods are illegal to use. Roads and airlines basically. I suppose someone who owns a private plane and has a place to land could legally get around it.

I guess one issue is if someone lives one town over of where they work and the blockage happens to be there. These are details they would need to figure out of course.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
True, but I'm pretty sure it's doable. They close down highways here often when there are big snow storms so people don't travel in/out of the city. Same with forest fires. Whatever act is used for that could be used for the virus.

Yeaahhhh lawsuit city.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeaahhhh lawsuit city.

I can't see why it would be a big deal. Highways, and driving, are a privilege, not a right. I don't think there is anything in the charter of rights about keeping highways open all the time. And right now it's state of emergency so that can trump certain rights anyway. It's not like they'd be trying to force people to stay inside their house, they just can't leave the region, it's not exactly a big deal really. Or let them leave... just don't let them come back in just make sure they know this before they leave (ex: stop traffic in both directions and give chance for anyone to turn around). In fact it would be better if it means lifting restrictions. You can live your life 100% normal knowing that no one is able to come in and potentially bring the virus.

Of course allow transports to bring supplies and stuff. I'm talking about just regular people in private cars. And close down airports too except for essentials.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Hairstylist exposes 91 people to COVID-19. She was asymptomatic, showed no signs. We are going to see more of these cases as more places start to open up. I also doubt if we will have a second closing of states. Our economy just can't take a second round, so I'm sure more sick people, and more fatalities.

That article is just another scare piece by CNN. The hair dresser, who was either symptomatic or asymptomatic, was masked as were all the people he/she/it came in contact with. Nobody knows at this time whether anyone became infected due to encountering the hair dresser. Maybe they will all die or maybe none of them will contract Covid. It sounds to me like the system is working. We know who the hair dresser is and we know everyone he/she/it came in contact with, so everyone can be informed they were exposed and get tested.

Let's wait and see. This is what reopening is all about.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
I can't see why it would be a big deal. Highways, and driving, are a privilege, not a right. I don't think there is anything in the charter of rights about keeping highways open all the time. And right now it's state of emergency so that can trump certain rights anyway. It's not like they'd be trying to force people to stay inside their house, they just can't leave the region, it's not exactly a big deal really. Or let them leave... just don't let them come back in just make sure they know this before they leave (ex: stop traffic in both directions and give chance for anyone to turn around). In fact it would be better if it means lifting restrictions. You can live your life 100% normal knowing that no one is able to come in and potentially bring the virus.

Of course allow transports to bring supplies and stuff. I'm talking about just regular people in private cars. And close down airports too except for essentials.

While driving is, indeed, a privilege, traveling is a right here in the US. It's covered under the 5th Amendment.

Reactions: killster1

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
While driving is, indeed, a privilege, traveling is a right here in the US. It's covered under the 5th Amendment.

And you need to drive to get from one region to the other (if airlines are closed too which I said they would need to do too).

Travel might be a right but the means of it is not. If someone wants to walk through the bush to bypass the road blockade then by all means have at it and try not to die of exhaustion or get eaten by a bear.

Down south I've also seen some highways that don't allow foot or bike traffic so clearly it must be legal to just not allow that either.

If you stop air travel and car travel it would block 99% of people. By keeping these "bubbles" in effect it would allow covid free area to remain covid free, and then get back to normal. It would be in everyone's interest.

TeeJay1952

Golden Member
May 28, 2004
Wasn't there a SC ruling about your right to swing your arms ends at my nose? Well your right to sneeze unimpeded should have same limitations.
Don't let these fools turn you into something you are not. No need to wish ill will on anyone. This epidemic is a giant game of tag between humanity and virus. We have to break the chain.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I can't see why it would be a big deal. Highways, and driving, are a privilege, not a right.

Arbitrarily altering travel privileges is not going to hold up in court. All I have to do is demonstrate a license and that there is no natural disaster making operation of a motor vehicle directly and intrinsically unsafe, and I win. Never mind the lawsuits entire states would file against the Feds if they tried to halt interstate travel.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Arbitrarily altering travel privileges is not going to hold up in court. All I have to do is demonstrate a license and that there is no natural disaster making operation of a motor vehicle directly and intrinsically unsafe, and I win. Never mind the lawsuits entire states would file against the Feds if they tried to halt interstate travel.

But there IS a natural disaster. The entire world is in a pandemic. People are being told to stay home, so why should they even be traveling out of town to begin with? Do groceries, go to work, keep it to only the essentials. It's technically not illegal but it still should not be happening right now anyway. Once a region is secured then people could actually enjoy themselves more and go with family etc knowing that it's safe and nobody from down south is potentially bringing the virus. It's not that hard to just stay within your own region.

I know Quebec for a while was not allowing anyone in. Not sure if that is still in effect, but clearly, it's possible to do that.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
But there IS a natural disaster.

Sorry, there isn't. I can get in a car, drive across New York state in that car, and then back without giant hail stones crushing me or tornadoes blowing me to Oz.

The most the State of New York can do is ask me to quarantine for awhile if I stay there, or they can ask that I keep moving. They can't halt me at the border and turn me around because of a virus . . . and certainly not one with sub-ebola fatality rates. The Feds definitely can't interdict travel, for many reasons, but they certainly couldn't claim that my automobile is going to be damaged or destroyed by Covid-19. In a flood or hurricane (or similar), they have some authority to step in and stop you from driving into 100+mph winds or waterlogged intersections.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
That article is just another scare piece by CNN. The hair dresser, who was either symptomatic or asymptomatic, was masked as were all the people he/she/it came in contact with.

Let's wait and see. This is what reopening is all about.

Fox News has that scare piece as well.

In my book this isn't what reopening is all about. Making 91 people have to be tested and monitor themselves for the next several days as well as many others since the salon was not the only place she went. I read a fitness center and a Walmart - no people there and not all masked :rolleyes: . Lots of time spent contacting people and personal angst and weeks of monitoring - all because 1 individual seemingly decided her own reopening mattered more than everyone else. I hope no one got infected from her, but the articles I read said she had the symptoms for all 8 days she worked and that's a lot of contact time.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I hope a vaccine does come out and works, but also I don't think we should hold our breath. There was never one for SARS. I think they were close but never got it working and the virus died off before.

We're just starting to get hard clinical data that vaccines are causing an immune response in humans so I don't think the question is "if" but rather "which ones are best" and "how soon".

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's also nice out now and after like 9 months of winter people just need to get out and see family.
I saw family, flew to San Diego Feb. 28, returned March 1. Big party! Large brunch next day. I had my misgivings going but figured the chances of transmission that weekend were minimal, under 1%. AFAIK, no one got sick. But knowing what I do now, I wouldn't have gone. The Mardi Gras was 1/2 a week before and that led to catastrophe.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If you stop air travel and car travel it would block 99% of people. By keeping these "bubbles" in effect it would allow covid free area to remain covid free, and then get back to normal. It would be in everyone's interest.
It doesn't take much to turn a covid free zone into a pandemic incubation situation. People shed before becoming symptomatic. Testing and contact tracing would be crucial but keeping a zone free indefinitely while big cities are anything but free and zone perimeters are porous is going to be problematical... continually.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Fox News has that scare piece as well.

In my book this isn't what reopening is all about. Making 91 people have to be tested and monitor themselves for the next several days as well as many others since the salon was not the only place she went. I read a fitness center and a Walmart - no people there and not all masked :rolleyes: . Lots of time spent contacting people and personal angst and weeks of monitoring - all because 1 individual seemingly decided her own reopening mattered more than everyone else. I hope no one got infected from her, but the articles I read said she had the symptoms for all 8 days she worked and that's a lot of contact time.

Although nobody asked for it, this will be a great test case to find out if opening up is reasonable as opposed to people being forced to stay home. Let's wait and see what the results are, as if there was any choice now.

Reactions: highland145

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It doesn't take much to turn a covid free zone into a pandemic incubation situation. People shed before becoming symptomatic. Testing and contact tracing would be crucial but keeping a zone free indefinitely while big cities are anything but free and zone perimeters are porous is going to be problematical... continually.

After 2 weeks of no new cases it's probably safe to say that there are no more infected people whether they have symptoms or not, though as long as you don't introduce new people into that area during that time which is why they would need to stop travel. That's the whole idea. You would still want to keep the current restrictions in effect for 2 weeks after the travel ban goes into effect.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Rode the bike this afternoon. House had their garage door open, 3 cases of Charmin sitting right there.

Must have been a baited field.

Nov 8, 2012
Rode the bike this afternoon. House had their garage door open, 3 cases of Charmin sitting right there.

Must have been a baited field.
I have about 5 cases in my garage and a set under the sink of each of our bathrooms (5).

I didn't go in and buy for COVID, for some reason I just always carry a large amount because I tend to buy based on Slickdeals... And they often have deals to the tune of "Spend $50 get $10 gift card"... So for those I would buy 3 sets to save.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
TP seems to be back to normal here now, at least the few times I've been to the grocery stores they had some. I'm due to buy more though, I'm trying to be a couple packages ahead in case there's a second wave. I'm almost due for another grocery trip anyway, been a few weeks.

Nov 8, 2012
TP seems to be back to normal here now, at least the few times I've been to the grocery stores they had some. I'm due to buy more though, I'm trying to be a couple packages ahead in case there's a second wave. I'm almost due for another grocery trip anyway, been a few weeks.
Just about everything is back to normal here in TX (Houston in particular). Restaurant was bumpin' with people, albeit at 50% and spaced apart. Tons of meat and TP at the grocery store.

Lots of cars on the street in general. To be honest I never really noticed much of a reduction as far as general traffic.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I have about 5 cases in my garage and a set under the sink of each of our bathrooms (5).

I didn't go in and buy for COVID, for some reason I just always carry a large amount because I tend to buy based on Slickdeals... And they often have deals to the tune of "Spend $50 get $10 gift card"... So for those I would buy 3 sets to save.
Order from a local supply house. 96 roll case in the back.

So you guys know, I'm asymptomatic and have snotted on every titty/sock dollar that's come through. $30k or so.

Wash your hands.

• Haha
Reactions: Ichinisan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Fee for ordering checks is ~$20 it looks like, more if you "design" your own checks: https://www.uponarriving.com/Chase-order-checks/
I have Chase checking and the checks I'm using are printed as bank being Washington Mutual, i.e. I ordered those checks before Chase bought them out quite a few years ago. I rarely have occasion to write a check. Probably less than 3/year. Just about the only time I write a check is if I have to pay a family member for something and I'm in their presence.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just about everything is back to normal here in TX (Houston in particular). Restaurant was bumpin' with people, albeit at 50% and spaced apart. Tons of meat and TP at the grocery store.

Lots of cars on the street in general. To be honest I never really noticed much of a reduction as far as general traffic.
I saw a story on a rural Texas woman who is in charge of a facility to help local people with medical situations. She said she anticipated that things would get horrible. They don't have capacity, have almost no ventilators, a high percentage of the people can't afford treatment... they are going to be over run. Evidently, there's going to be very serious problems in Texas with covid-19. Seems to me the governor and lt. governor are pretty stupid too.

Nov 8, 2012
I saw a story on a rural Texas woman who is in charge of a facility to help local people with medical situations. She said she anticipated that things would get horrible. They don't have capacity, have almost no ventilators, a high percentage of the people can't afford treatment... they are going to be over run. Evidently, there's going to be very serious problems in Texas with covid-19. Seems to me the governor and lt. governor are pretty stupid too.

Nope. Not in the slightest. Hospitals aren't overrun. Everything is working. Someone else here that lives in TX can correct me if they feel I'm wrong though.

Also ventilators have been proven to be the death of patients more than a help. So.... Yeah.... No. You're wrong. Mkay?