NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 299 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
One could argue that it's turned the US into a police state as well. In just about time span of about a month we went from a country whose motto was "Land of the free, and home of the brave" to a new motto of "Stay home or Die" :(

Even here in Canada. People are getting fined just for being outside. They are telling people it's ok to be outside, but they seem to be selective about it. There was a family that got fined for being together (they are in same household!) and then there was another incident where a teenager was just playing basketball alone. I get breaking up crowds, but it's like they're just looking for easy targets just for sake of fining people. The law is already starting to lose it's reasoning and only being enforced "because it's the law". That seems to be what happens with lot of laws, they may have a reason behind them but they still get enforced even when that reason does not apply.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Interesting. I haven't heard about an early ski resort outbreak getting swept under rug. Got a link?

I know, late, but:

They can probably be held responsible for hundreds, if not thousands of deaths.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Even here in Canada. People are getting fined just for being outside. They are telling people it's ok to be outside, but they seem to be selective about it. There was a family that got fined for being together (they are in same household!) and then there was another incident where a teenager was just playing basketball alone. I get breaking up crowds, but it's like they're just looking for easy targets just for sake of fining people. The law is already starting to lose it's reasoning and only being enforced "because it's the law". That seems to be what happens with lot of laws, they may have a reason behind them but they still get enforced even when that reason does not apply.

Yeah... I know that people like to make fun of the liberty protestors around here, but somebody needs to speak up and try to keep the government in check. Otherwise, you end up with senseless laws like some of the ones in Michigan, where you can't buy seeds at Walmart but you can't buy them at your local ACE Hardware? HUH?!?

Nov 8, 2012
Yeah... I know that people like to make fun of the liberty protestors around here, but somebody needs to speak up and try to keep the government in check. Otherwise, you end up with senseless laws like some of the ones in Michigan, where you can't buy seeds at Walmart but you can't buy them at your local ACE Hardware? HUH?!?

Things like the mask laws are beyond stupid and are highly in the authoritarian zone.

I make sure to not touch my face by always carrying 2 beers at all times.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Things like the mask laws are beyond stupid and are highly in the authoritarian zone.

I make sure to not touch my face by always carrying 2 beers at all times.
You mean anti-mask laws? I mean, you-know-who took a lot of crap for stressing that the mask recommendations are "voluntary."

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Kind of a lurch from complaining about a few of inconsistent technicalities in an improvised situation conflicting to an endorsement of a small astroturfed movement that proposes insane public health risks.

For the sake of consistency I'm also very unforgiving to antivaxxers.

• Haha
Reactions: Kaido
Nov 8, 2012

Disney is well-known for being a piece of shit company.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The problem is how the cops on the street interpret the stay home order, or any law for that matter. Some cops (a minority, but still too many) have their own interpretation of everything, and really get off on what they view as their superiority over normal citizens.

Crap like handcuffing a mother for pushing her own child on a swing, a dad playing catch with is son in the middle of an acre sized field, etc., etc.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The problem is how the cops on the street interpret the stay home order, or any law for that matter. Some cops (a minority, but still too many) have their own interpretation of everything, and really get off on what they view as their superiority over normal citizens.

Crap like handcuffing a mother for pushing her own child on a swing, a dad playing catch with is son in the middle of an acre sized field, etc., etc.
Given the amount of power a cop has, that small minority is enough to cause real trouble. Enough to make people march in the streets and demand justice from a system that probably won't give it to them.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Disney is well-known for being a piece of shit company.

Stop being such a xenophobe. We have to allow these people to come in and take our jobs because Americans dont want them, even though they had them and were laid off to get cheap replacements by large corporations who abuse the system and they are not here to take our jobs and free healthcare and racism and Donald Trump is just using this to keep hospitals dont have enough masks because he wont use one and they are not here to take our jobs and let them all in because open borders and we are the world and nationalism is a social construct for boomers.

How else do you expect that poor CEO to collect his $26 million dollar a year salary? Sure that equates to $2,500,000 per month, but Bob Iger is just trying to make ends meet. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarpozzi

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Kind of a lurch from complaining about a few of inconsistent technicalities in an improvised situation conflicting to an endorsement of a small astroturfed movement that proposes insane public health risks.

For the sake of consistency I'm also very unforgiving to antivaxxers.

I'd like the think that the protestors are keeping state officials from making REALLY stupid decisions, like closing down grocery stores and forcing a food delivery only model. I heard that idea being kicked around by CNN, and even their analysis of it found it to be a bad idea because there simply isn't enough delivery infrastructure set up to make the plan work in most areas. You want to see people panic and start looting businesses? That dumb idea is probably a good way to do it.

Think of the protestors like the canary in the coal mine... noisy, but effective as a warning.

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'd like the think that the protestors are keeping state officials from making REALLY stupid decisions, like closing down grocery stores and forcing a food delivery only model. I heard that idea being kicked around by CNN, and even their analysis of it found it to be a bad idea because there simply isn't enough delivery infrastructure set up to make the plan work in most areas. You want to see people panic and start looting businesses? That dumb idea is probably a good way to do it.

Think of the protestors like the canary in the coal mine... noisy, but effective as a warning.

Randos on tv talking about the possibly of something is a long way from a policy. The ginned up protesters want the right to hurt many other people and it’s all agitated by rich Trumpist conservatives. They can fuck right off. This isn’t principled objection.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Well we got this, someone on my facebook posted it and i sure as shit do not know what to make of it. I wanna say this is a joke but honestly at this point would not be surprised if real.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If I'm not mistaken said canary gives its warning by keeling over.

In the case of canaries, they have very little choice in the matter.

Some of the protestors might have a valid message. Maybe. People are running short on cash, let them get back to work, etc. Waiting for the government to prop them up while the virus burns out may not be working for everyone. It's easy not to see this while sitting at home burning through cash reserves that simply don't exist for a lot of people who have lost their jobs.

Protestors, however, DO have a choice in the matter. They can choose not to be complete idiots by contracting/spreading the disease. If you want to make a point, getting yourself killed while asserting your Constitutional freedom is not necessarily a great way to do it.

I used to say they stood for freedom -

5.png

free and dumb.

Reactions: Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Dang

Yea I had read some doctors talking about how mechanical ventilation might be actually damaging in COVID cases. Laying people prone for most of the day and putting them on high flow oxygen appears to be seeing better results. It's something about the specific way the disease damages the lungs.

Nov 8, 2012
Yea I had read some doctors talking about how mechanical ventilation might be actually damaging in COVID cases. Laying people prone for most of the day and putting them on high flow oxygen appears to be seeing better results. It's something about the specific way the disease damages the lungs.