NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 298 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
On the flip side, once everyone in Sweden has been infected they don't need to worry about quarantining anymore. It's a pretty shitty way to do it, but they'll probably recover faster than New York will.

Without knowing what the immunity profile and duration looks like their actions are the ultimate gamble. If it’s less than the time to vaccine availability it’s a losing bet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
lol fancy that - the state that can't handle the large amount of unemployment the most is... *spins a wheel*... Florida

California and Texas haven't processed 2/3 of their claims

New York has about 30% of their claims still pending

Saw on news last night, IIRC they said that of all the unemployment insurance claims (CA, I think) only 6% had gotten anything yet.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I had communion today in my garden. I was the sole attendee. Planted the last of my 10 tomato plants. A safe time was had by all!

Wow nice, yeah i am about to set up some plots to grow some herbs and stuff. :) thinking may but man i heard indica is gonna be quite the challenge. Doing that from seed .Found some stuff like this already in my craft this is why i love herbalism. :) Set plants based off these and never have issues with knats bugs and moskitoes, Mostly in this for the healing/mending aspect but i guess it can come with many other benefits like these.

Your solitary by chance? I am :) Well besides the worlds craziest coincidence that 2 of the 3 oldest friends i have known 15 years are exactly like me lol. Both of them from the same city and country...

Hey free to message me whatever whenever with what ya do dude, i find it cool you reached out. blessed be!

gill77

Aug 3, 2006
100% hope that their cases decrease & life can go back to normal sooner rather than later. It just seems a little premature to open stuff like movie theaters.

Movie theaters and the like sure seem like they should be one of the last things to open up.

We still have a lot of uncertainty and a tremendous amount of variation among states and especially counties.

It's probably better to move out of this situation with a diversity of strategies rather than one monolithic mandate.

Best efforts, learn, adjust and move forward.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Are those coyotes?
Yep.

So in other news, there's a new symptom in otherwise asymptomatic individuals, called COVID Toes:
1587552621892.png
Apparently it's potentially related to blood clotting in small vessels, which is suspected to be one effect of this virus.

I've had a purple legion similar to the one above (those aren't my feet) for about 3-4 weeks now. Didn't really care enough to take note when it popped up, just figured my feet were cold or something odd like that. No other symptoms, GF has no symptoms, but there's a nonzero chance that I was an asymptomatic carrier/plague baron for the last month or so. So that's awesome.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Yep.

So in other news, there's a new symptom in otherwise asymptomatic individuals, called COVID Toes:
View attachment 19992
Apparently it's potentially related to blood clotting in small vessels, which is suspected to be one effect of this virus.

I've had a purple legion similar to the one above (those aren't my feet) for about 3-4 weeks now. Didn't really care enough to take note when it popped up, just figured my feet were cold or something odd like that. No other symptoms, GF has no symptoms, but there's a nonzero chance that I was an asymptomatic carrier/plague baron for the last month or so. So that's awesome.
Interesting. I'm colorblind and never really looked at the color but a couple weeks ago I felt weirdly hard, rough, insensitive, plate-like patches right where you see the discoloration in those images. No, I don't go barefoot, even I'm home, so it wasn't foot corns.

I had a scab elsewhere on my foot from scratching but I also had a weird one I can't explain right on the back "knuckle" of one of my toes. It stuck out to me because I've never seen anything like it:
It was as if I had been poked with something sharp and had a tiny scab formed at a point except it was tall, surprisingly hard, and wouldn't come off for days even though it felt like it was protruding far enough to fall off from putting my socks on. Like, it was super-tough even though the area was super-small (tiny point of attachment). I accidentally scratched it multiple times and it was just cemented on there. I thought it was bizarre but not worth concern since it did eventually go away.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Good read

One could argue that it's turned the US into a police state as well. In just about time span of about a month we went from a country whose motto was "Land of the free, and home of the brave" to a new motto of "Stay home or Die" :(

Reactions: highland145
Nov 8, 2012
One could argue that it's turned the US into a police state as well. In just about time span of about a month we went from a country whose motto was "Land of the free, and home of the brave" to a new motto of "Stay home or Die" :(

And wear a mask or be ticketed.

Though I guess it isn't too much different than just a requirement to wear pants :p

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks like saliva could be superior to np swabbing for testing purposes:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.16.20067835v1

To validate the use of saliva for SARS-CoV-2 detection, we tested nasopharyngeal and saliva samples from confirmed COVID-19 patients and self-collected samples from healthcare workers on COVID-19 wards. When we compared SARS-CoV-2 detection from patient-matched nasopharyngeal and saliva samples, we found that saliva yielded greater detection sensitivity and consistency throughout the course of infection.

This would be excellent news for scaling up testing into the many millions we're going to need over the next year.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Though I guess it isn't too much different than just a requirement to wear pants :p

Many businesses are unlikely to let you in without a mask or covering once stuff starts to open up again. I'm hearing a lot about mitigation strategies for retail and face to face services, this one is consistently near the top on management's list.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

I haven't seen anyone get ticketed for not wearing a mask in Connecticut... yet. The governor left a loophole in the law saying that you don't have to wear one if you have a health condition that precludes it, and you don't need to prove it with medical documentation.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I'm not a fan of Redfield but he is quite correct that subsequent waves can be more deadly, especially if concurrent with flu season. Preparations should be made to inoculate the entire country for the 2020-21 influenza season. Also ramp up production of flu tests so you can separate flu cases and Covid cases quickly.

CDC director warns second wave of coronavirus is likely to be even more devastating

Even as states move ahead with plans to reopen their economies, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warned Tuesday that a second wave of the novel coronavirus will be far more dire because it is likely to coincide with the start of flu season.

“There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through,” CDC Director Robert Redfieldsaid in an interview with The Washington Post. “And when I’ve said this to others, they kind of put their head back, they don’t understand what I mean.”

“We’re going to have the flu epidemic and the coronavirusepidemic at the same time,” he said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/21/coronavirus-secondwave-cdcdirector/

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
There are just so many ignorant people. I was at the store and the clerk there was telling me that the Gov of NJ is an idiot. That COVID-19 is a lie, etc. I told him that if I wanted an opinion on COVID-19 I'll listen to scientist and doctors who do this for a living. If I wanted to learn to run a cash register I'll come to you. He got mad. lol

Have you guys every noticed that it's the less informed and educated who make these "conspiracy theory" claims? It's not just COVID-19 BTW. They also tend to be the most religious. Hmm.. It all kinda makes sense I guess. They believe in information without even critical thought. They don't even examine the source or validity. They seem to take it as truth immediately because it fits into their little sick world view.

Last edited:

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
There are just so many ignorant people. I was at the store and the clerk there was telling me that the Gov of NJ is an idiot. That COVID-19 is a lie, etc. I told him that if I wanted an opinion I'll listen to scientist and doctors who do this for a living. If I wanted to learn to run a cash register I'll come to you. he got mad. lol

Have you guys every noticed that it's the less informed and educated who make these "conspiracy theory" claims? It's not just COVID-19 BTW. They also tend to be the most religious. Hmm.. It all kinda makes sense I guess. They believe in information without even critical thought. They don't even examine the source or validity. They seem to take it as truth immediately because it fits into their little sick world view.

Yeah i am sorta nervous cause i live with someone who believes its all a Dem deal to lose Trump the next election. Pretty insane cause he hates anyone in the mask cause its feeding into the " new nazi germany" . I told him about my calls to plastic injection mold factories who need volunteers for masks, i striked out and he said good i rather not help ya help these fools....well not like this person is stopping me from getting a 3d printer and printing masks soon. He would burn me for prob promoting this....Its on my wall btw as well as anything useful against the fight on this matter.

Prob gonna lose this friend to it, i got one friend stuck in basement damn sure its the end of the world despite me mentioning we had things like this before. I am prob the only sane person out of 4 total here. Kind of a scary position to be in for me. I stay up in my attic room about 30 feet away from everyone else at all times besides my trips down for food and showers. Besides that set upstairs till this blows over.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
There are just so many ignorant people. I was at the store and the clerk there was telling me that the Gov of NJ is an idiot. That COVID-19 is a lie, etc. I told him that if I wanted an opinion I'll listen to scientist and doctors who do this for a living. If I wanted to learn to run a cash register I'll come to you. he got mad. lol

It appears there is a lack of oxygen on that pedestal you built for yourself.

• Haha
Reactions: s0me0nesmind1

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003

You do realize that the very definition of conspiracy theory requires gaps in information? It makes logical sense that the less educated you are, the larger those gaps will be, and thus more room for imagination to fill the void ;)

• Haha
Reactions: mopardude87

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah i am sorta nervous cause i live with someone who believes its all a Dem deal to lose Trump the next election. Pretty insane cause he hates anyone in the mask cause its feeding into the " new nazi germany" . I told him about my calls to plastic injection mold factories who need volunteers for masks, i striked out and he said good i rather not help ya help these fools....well not like this person is stopping me from getting a 3d printer and printing masks soon. He would burn me for prob promoting this....

Those are the type of people who are just mad at life to begin with. They are never happy. He probably would never help anyone COVID019 or not because so many of these people are selfish. They only care about themselves. Trapped in their little heads.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
You do realize that the very definition of conspiracy theory requires gaps in information? It makes logical sense that the less educated you are, the larger those gaps will be, and thus more room for imagination to fill the void ;)

lol true.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Those are the type of people who are just mad at life to begin with. They are never happy. He probably would never help anyone COVID019 or not because so many of these people are selfish. They only care about themselves. Trapped in their little heads.

He is usually a very nice happy person but the more he watches that damn Fox News the more he idk gets pissed on things. I won't get political MUCH but can say he hates any idea a Dem has right now so idk how that fits into the Dems caused this theory of his. Not exactly following the news as i simply see it as a distraction. All i know its a bad idea to open up shit. That is all i can say about that. Its not a conspiracy its a real thing look how often Karma has gotten those who scuffed at it.

Karma may get my friend but i "prayed" for him and the rest of those in the world who may find the errors in their thinking sooner rather then later and just start thinking their way isn't the only way. Hopefully they get answered. One can hope at least.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep.

View attachment 19992

I experienced a weird thing several days ago being pain in the toes of my right foot. I swapped out my every day shoes for some others and in a day or two the pain disappeared. It felt like I'd irritated one or two toe knuckles on top. I thought it was strange and didn't know how to explain it. I'm active, but have worn those shoes for a few months. Antibody testing all around would be great if easy, cheap or free, and reliable.

Nov 8, 2012
There are just so many ignorant people. I was at the store and the clerk there was telling me that the Gov of NJ is an idiot. That COVID-19 is a lie, etc. I told him that if I wanted an opinion on COVID-19 I'll listen to scientist and doctors who do this for a living. If I wanted to learn to run a cash register I'll come to you. He got mad. lol

No you didn't, you smiled, nodded, and said uh huh. Yeap, you're right and went on your merry way :p

Reactions: Sgt. York