NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 280 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I wish that $8.2 million mistaken deposit into the poor guy's account would get thoroughly investigated but of course it won't.

That absolutely could have been an attempt to steal money from the stimulus. Someone involved could have mistyped an account number along the way.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Get prednisone (steroid) & an inhaler. Sleep on your belly. If you have access to a CPAP/BiPap, use it. Go to bed early & get lots of sleep so you don't get worn down.

I'd have too get a prescription for the prednisone, I'm not sure if my primary is even open right now. I have an inhaler and am only working 25hrs/week these days so plenty of time for power naps. I'm slamming 4,000Mg vit C for the last 4 days too, got a zinc supplement ordered, all locally were gone.
Pastor blows away COVID-19! You see. We don't need to worry anymore. :)

Oh, and you lost your job? You should still be giving to this pastor. WTF.

Completely insane this guy's net worth in north of $300 million and he owns several jets. Same guy that said he didn't want to fly commercial to avoid a "tube full of demons", it's both shocking and sad there are that many dumb as fuck people ho send cash to this baboon.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Got my 3,900 Trumpbucks! Time to... uh... do something with it! Anxiously awaiting next months payment.

Nov 20, 2009
You were comparing the number of COVID-19 hospitalized patients to NY's total population: instead, you should compare number COVID-19 hospitalized patients to the average daily hospitalized patients pre-COVID-19.

I'd be surprised if the number is below 30%, but my guess would be more than 50%.
What is it that you are getting at? I'm suggesting that NYC was naturally going to be in a worse position because their average daily commuters are shoulder to shoulder with strangers whereas in Atlanta that was most certainly not going to be the case. If you think close proximity has nothing to do with it, fine. I do.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Maybe this has been talked about in this thread already but I'm curious: What is everyone's emergency food?

I bought 4 large containers of oatmeal. I also have about 10 large cans of chunky soup and 5 large mac and cheese boxes.

I could probably last a few weeks on that.
My neighbor's dropping my shopping on porch about once every 2 weeks (I email her a list). I am always pretty stocked (earthquake country, I live 1.5 miles from the most dangerous EQ fault in the USA) but got better stocked before the SIP kicked in. I have these:

6 one pound packages of organic pasta
25lb pinto beans
~35lb white flour
~7lb organic whole wheat flour
20lb basmati rice
~12 cans tuna
~12 cans corn
2lb oatmeal
Some other beans, barley, split peas, garbonzos, herbs and spices, stuff I can't think of...

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Cuomo announces an executive order that everyone has to wear masks/coverings in public.

May 13, 2009
Cuomo announces an executive order that everyone has to wear masks/coverings in public.
Nice. I wish our governor (TX) would do the same. I know we don't have the same problems as NY but it'd be nice to never have it in the first place

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nice. I wish our governor (TX) would do the same. I know we don't have the same problems as NY but it'd be nice to never have it in the first place

Even if the benefit is small to moderate (presuming cloth and surgical masks) it is still really worth it for such an extremely trivial inconvenience.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) already used up $296 billion of the allotted $349 billion and is likely to run out of money by the end of today.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/15/sma...pidly-nearing-the-programs-funding-limit.html

So many of my family and friends have applied for this program and only very few have received any funding loan so far. Some have received it but many are still waiting. It's going to suck for them if this program runs out of money, and they don't get the loan since it's first come, first served. Wall Street got their money. But small businesses might be screwed yet again.

Reactions: highland145

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Couple interesting stories from my old city. I know it's been popular to pick on Chicago for stuff in recent years but turns out they were more prepared than most for something like this.

The story behind Chicago's deep stock of COVID-fighting equipmen

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/gre...-chicagos-deep-stock-covid-fighting-equipment

In a mostly planned but still fortuitous development, the Chicago Department of Public Health had quietly collected a deep store of such material in recent years, Commissioner Dr. Allison Arwady disclosed in an interview. And it’s been sharing that PPE with hospitals, nursing homes and a few homeless shelters.

The city so far has drawn down and sent out 501,000 of the very hard-to-find N95 masks, according to Arwady’s office, even as other officials gripe that they can’t get enough. An additional 720,000 have been reserved for possible use in the emergency hospital facility at McCormick Place. That still leaves more than half of the city’s original stock of 3.9 million as the pandemic continues to unfold.
“We talk to the hospitals every single day” to see what they need, Arwady said. “We’re situated a lot better than a lot of other places.”

The city also has distributed 2.4 million sets of gloves, 124,000 protective gowns and 1.2 million other masks, she said. And more is coming in all the time, since the city continues to receive regular orders from suppliers with which it has had long-standing relationships.

There has been an explosion of medical construction in the city over the past decade and a half. Turns out one of the biggest new hospitals was specifically designed to deal with a biological disaster and surge of patients.

This hospital was built for a pandemic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/09/rush-hospital-coronavirus/

As this city braces for April 20, the anticipated peak of coronavirus infections here, doctors and nurses at Rush University Medical Center say they are prepared, not just because of their training, but because of where they work: A 14-story, 830,000-square-foot facility built specifically for a deadly pandemic.

The butterfly-shaped building, known as “the Tower,” opened in January 2012 as the first of its kind in the United States. Built at a cost of $654 million in the shadow of 9/11 and the anthrax attacks, the facility was designed to be able to quickly handle waves of patients, expand its bed capacity to 133 percent and control airflow to entire sections of the structure to prevent cross-contamination.

The permanent emergency room at Rush is unlike most: Instead of curtains, each bed unit has its own set of thick glass doors to seal it off, with a negative-pressure air system to prevent infection from escaping into common areas. Before sliding the doors open, nurses suit up: a yellow smock, a mask, gloves and a pair of goggles. The ER has 60 beds, but during a surge each unit can be doubled to increase capacity to 120 beds.

Under the surge, routine ER patients — someone with a broken ankle, for example — are handled in the building’s main atrium, which has been outfitted as “a MASH unit,” completely cut off from the covid-19 patients in the emergency section, said Purim-Shem-Tov. The atrium’s design made the transformation easy: Disguised inside every support column are panels giving access to oxygen and other necessary medical gases, as well as electricity. Non-emergency physicians, such as pediatricians, are staffing the MASH unit.

Nov 8, 2012
Pastor blows away COVID-19! You see. We don't need to worry anymore. :)

Oh, and you lost your job? You should still be giving to this pastor. WTF.

religion never ceases to make me laugh.

I'm all for comforting people that can't accept the fact that there isn't a higher power - but even if there was the concept that you should devote your life, money, and time to it and that we humans have figured it out is hilarious. That said, giving money to them is just fall on the floor laugh worthy.

To quote George Carlin:

“Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money!

• Haha
Reactions: BUTCH1
Nov 8, 2012
Filed taxes last or this year and had a refund direct deposited. Otherwise, I guess you get a check mailed to you. Income stipulations if they apply.

That's a good point that I didn't think about...

I owed taxes last year (2019) but got a slight refund on 2018.

I also amended my 2019 return because of a stupid corrected 1099 that I was sent, so when it asks me to enter my Adjusted Gross Income number I don't know if it's from my original return or the amended one lol

EDIT: Turns out to be the non-amended amount that worked.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Funny. The IRS simply doesn't know what is my eligibility status. I haven't filed yet this year but still. I did file last year . . . just didn't get a refund.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
From my feed:
df319eb311e807e2e122d67be87b452b.jpg

This dude has been living in Japan for two years yet even he qualifies.

They checked his tax return from _____?

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
They checked his tax return from _____?
Just because you live in foreign country doesn't mean you don't file US taxes. Think about millions of retired US citizens living in Costa RIca, Panama, Philippines, Mexico, etc. They all receive monthly Social Security checks direct deposited into their checking account. All these people will also receive the $1,200 stimulus bailout money.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Just because you live in foreign country doesn't mean you don't file US taxes. Think about millions of retired US citizens living in Costa RIca, Panama, Philippines, Mexico, etc. They all receive monthly Social Security checks direct deposited into their checking account. All these people will also receive the $1,200 stimulus bailout money.
...but should they get the bailout when they aren't even participating in the US economy?

I know I wouldn't expect it if I was doing the Ex-Pat thing.

Nov 8, 2012
...but should they get the bailout when they aren't even participating in the US economy?

I know I wouldn't expect it if I was doing the Ex-Pat thing.

To be honest, I would say the same for social security. It's just economically retarded to support someone with money that is contributing it to another.