NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 201 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
I wonder how Japan keps it from spreading when they pack their subways like sardines.

tokyo-subway-pushers-22.jpg

w-cCqng991CqcGMY_G6PQqZgyJmOrtkmWe10jLsu1w9DkQqHM_U07CdNsxxr_r8lGVoR5t5rrup_IvMV5eDljvE1z2fonugRkcNYVG-qCNnVBLLcgrKBJF8torNXu4SQcw

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet in the last 200 pages - but this is the first I'm hearing that your blood type seems to be playing a factor in your chances of fighting off the virus..

Types A are weakest and most susceptible
Type O are the strongest against it.

I call bullshit on that article and the study.

Seems like all they did was measure the distribution of blood types among victims in a single hospital. Even if we ignore the plethora of assumptions that have to be made to reach such a conclusion, the fact is that the 20% more likely and 30% less likely are bullshit click-baity numbers.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I wonder how Japan keps it from spreading when they pack their subways like sardines.
No one can explain it yet other than some theories like the Japanese practice of bowing instead of shaking hands is helping keep down the virus infection rate. And some other guesses I don't remember.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Honestly, I think everyone is lying about their numbers except the western world (Europe, Canada, etc.). In the case of the US - it's just ignorance of not doing enough testing to accurately have our numbers.

But India, China, Japan, Russia, and all of LATAM? I think they are all full of shit.

I've been wondering about that too. I think it's clear that China is lying, their numbers/percentages just don't jive with anyone else at all, but even India for example, how they they have so little cases for such a dense country? Maybe they just don't have as much testing going on? I suppose that is also a possibility. Same with Russia, maybe they just arn't testing as much?

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
13 people have been diagnosed at our company (large utility, about 10,000 employees). A coworker (who I didn't know) passed away last Monday, and they just announced today that he tested positive.

But hey, let's reopen the country. For the economy.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
13 people have been diagnosed at our company (large utility, about 10,000 employees). A coworker (who I didn't know) passed away last Monday, and they just announced today that he tested positive.

But hey, let's reopen the country. For the economy.

Utilities can't realistically shut down. People need power/water/etc. For any company that HAS locked down for 2-3 weeks, it should be relatively safe to fire things back up. The virus doesn't stay in your system forever. If we had cheaper testing, we could just test everyone coming back to work.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Utilities can't realistically shut down. People need power/water/etc. For any company that HAS locked down for 2-3 weeks, it should be relatively safe to fire things back up. The virus doesn't stay in your system forever. If we had cheaper testing, we could just test everyone coming back to work.

Yeah, because they only hire single people who only go directly from home to work and back :rolleyes: are you serious dude?

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
That wasn't my suggestion. Certainly there are critical things that must go on, and a big portion of our business falls in that category.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Seems crazy to me that the states already want to open up everything, seems way too early.

Meanwhile here we're fighting our company to comply with the government because they arn't. Well part of the company is but they made an exception for our department. Almost everyone is working from home except us. Some stupid BS about needing someone in this building 24/7 in case the corporate network goes down, they want someone to be able to tell if it's the corporate network, and not just the VPN. Sounds like a load of BS to me. If our VPN goes down one of us can drive to the office and check if it's the corporate network or not. No need for someone there just for that reason. Or we can send a tech to check. Lots of options.

Looks like what is going to happen is we'll need to take turns to be the one designated for the office, as it can't just be 1 person because you need coverage for day/night and those people need a break, so need at least 4 people to cover.

Either way it means we'll be breaking our isolation all the time.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Seems crazy to me that the states already want to open up everything, seems way too early.

Meanwhile here we're fighting our company to comply with the government because they arn't. Well part of the company is but they made an exception for our department. Almost everyone is working from home except us. Some stupid BS about needing someone in this building 24/7 in case the corporate network goes down, they want someone to be able to tell if it's the corporate network, and not just the VPN. Sounds like a load of BS to me. If our VPN goes down one of us can drive to the office and check if it's the corporate network or not. No need for someone there just for that reason. Or we can send a tech to check. Lots of options.

Looks like what is going to happen is we'll need to take turns to be the one designated for the office, as it can't just be 1 person because you need coverage for day/night and those people need a break, so need at least 4 people to cover.

Either way it means we'll be breaking our isolation all the time.
Time for 72 hour hospital shifts.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002

tokyo-subway-pushers-22.jpg

w-cCqng991CqcGMY_G6PQqZgyJmOrtkmWe10jLsu1w9DkQqHM_U07CdNsxxr_r8lGVoR5t5rrup_IvMV5eDljvE1z2fonugRkcNYVG-qCNnVBLLcgrKBJF8torNXu4SQcw
Because Japan isn't testing. You can't trust Japan's number at all. It's my opinion Japan didn't test because they didn't want the world to know the true extent of how bad the virus had already spread in Japan in order to protect the Tokyo Olympic Games. But the jokes on them since the Olympics were postponed to next year anyway because no one trusts Japan and didn't want to come. Abe thought if he put his head in the sand, all of this would all go away.

From Feb 18 to March 19, Japan tested 37,726 people. That's it. Meanwhile, in South Korea, they test around 10,000 to 20,000 people everyday. Japan has population of around 128 million people. South Korea has population of around 51 million people. Japan has more than twice the number of people than South Korea and yet has tested virtually no one. That's the real secret to Japan's low numbers. See no evil, hear no evil.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Time for 72 hour hospital shifts.
Oh man I honestly don't know how they do that. Even doing a 24h would be tough. Sometimes after my last 12h night shift I will try to stay up instead of going to bed, and I rarely last the 12 hours. And that's just being at home - not running around like crazy as a nurse. I guess the adrenaline keeps them going, but I bet they must crash so hard after.

I have a feeling for us what will ultimately happen is if we even do work from home, is whoever is scheduled to work on 12h shifts will be in the office, so day shift and night shift for 24h coverage. Then whoever is on 8h shift will be at home. That still means we basically will all have contact though. So much for being quarantined.

Reactions: CZroe

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Was searching for a video that gives a look in a New York City hospital right now. Found this:

I seem to be the only view so far. I see the same people twice and nothing to confirm it's really NYC but wherever it is they have people laid out on the floor with nothing more than masks and a towel. You can hear the characteristic dry cough. These people would probably be better off at home until they are so bad they need a ventilator. D:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pretty crazy stuff. I heard of "hallway medicine" but this is literally that, not even a bed or anything to lay on. This is not even the whole picture (probably hard to get any pics or videos due to privacy) there are probably super packed rooms, and lack of equipment etc...

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Was searching for a video that gives a look in a New York City hospital right now. Found this:

I seem to be the only view so far. I see the same people twice and nothing to confirm it's really NYC but wherever it is they have people laid out on the floor with nothing more than masks and a towel. You can hear the characteristic dry cough. These people would probably be better off at home until they are so bad they need a ventilator. D:
This is in spain actually as a quick google search of the video shows it:

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/coron...ed-lying-on-floor-at-overrun-madrid-hospital/

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Before you post something like this spend at least 5 seconds making sure it's correct as this is in spain.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/23/coron...ed-lying-on-floor-at-overrun-madrid-hospital/
Why don't you read my post where I said there was no confirmation it was NYC and then said "wherever it is?"

I was the only view that video has. I'm still the only comment that video has. Know what the comment says? "Is this really NYC?"

Please take a dose of your own medicine and pay more attention to what you read on the Internet.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

This is most likely not NY.

Reactions: CZroe

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Why don't you read my post where I said there was no confirmation it was NYC and then said "wherever it is?"

I was the only view that video has. I'm still the only comment that video has. Know what the comment says? "Is this really NYC?"

Please take a dose of your own medicine and pay more attention to what you read on the Internet.
The religious text before and after the video and what their channel has posted is all you really should had been required to had known better imo plus the comments were not there when I looked. :p

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The religious text before and after the video and what their channel has posted is all you really should had been required to had known better imo plus the comments were not there when I looked. :p

How is it not clear to you that I did "know better" than to assume it was actually NY/NYC and chose to make a comment about the people lying on the floor "wherever it is?"

I expressed skepticism specifically so that no one would assume the video was telling the truth about where that was happening and to sow that same seed of doubt in anyone who sees it.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Our shop got an exemption to stay open.
We basically split the shop into 2 halves so there are 10 or less in each & we don't go into the other half. I'm OK with that for now but as positive cases start to show up in my county my feeling will change.