NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 179 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
A couple of posters need to self isolate themselves from this thread. Sick of scrolling past all the back and forth bickering when I'm mainly interested in UPDATES and intelligent conversation regarding this thing.

LOL check out post 4427, that is what i think of this thread. Even posted it on my facebook right on the wall cause honestly i am tired of all the drama over it. I went to file for divorce finally and the court houses are all closed till July like really. This shit is impacting everything like walmart here closing at like 11pm instead of being 24/7.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
No, social distancing is generally considered to be: isolate at home when possible, only go out briefly, don't gather in large groups, and if you do, try not to lick each other's faces.
Q: OK, I'm not sick or exposed. What else can I do? What is social distancing?

This is a broad category. It means not shaking hands, avoiding crowds, standing several feet from other people and, most important, staying home if you feel sick.

Businesses are doing it when they ask employees to work from home or stagger work hours. Governments are doing it when they close schools. We're seeing it in the sports world, with no-spectator games or the postponement of sporting events. Museums, theaters and concert halls where large groups of people gather are closing their doors.

It means trying to find the least-crowded train car or possibly driving instead of taking mass transit.
Yes, I would say that tends to include cancelling events/closing lobbies in restaurants.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
LOL check out post 4427, that is what i think of this thread. Even posted it on my facebook right on the wall cause honestly i am tired of all the drama over it. I went to file for divorce finally and the court houses are all closed till July like really. This shit is impacting everything like walmart here closing at like 11pm instead of being 24/7.
8:30 here..

pics of soon to be ex? And examples of cra-cra.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Time to reactivate some phone lines!

Yeah...some of my clients actually had the service providers drop support & go VOIP-only. I have very few customers with actual, real POTS lines anymore, for anything, even for faxes & alarm lines. Most alarm systems I put in do a dual ISP + 4G type of setup for communications because no one will run POTS lines anymore.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Check this out if you guys want. Some uplifting stuff in here. The one concerning thing is the fact that we've outsourced most of our pharmatical drugs to China. That could be an issue.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Feb 4, 2009
AT semi experts did I have the Corona Virus?

Little more than two weeks ago I became sick, rapidly progressed in 24 hours from the oh crap I’m getting sick feeling to ugh I’m sick.
First night I was exhausted and sort of cold
Next day aches
Day 3 more aches worst ever from being sick but not crippled
Day 4 similar to day 3, I didn’t take my temperature but had a few hot/cold moments
Day 5 felt better but kind of weak
Day 6 strength/appetite came back
Apx day 10 cough became less frequent
*I had a dry cough from day one* not a frequent cough but fits of coughing

Reading the symptoms I appeared to have all of them but it’s confusing because maybe it was a regular cold. So far my Wife is healthy we stayed in different rooms most of my sick time but our house isn’t big and has one bathroom.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
S.C. 1 recorded death. I'll be at work.
AT semi experts did I have the Corona Virus?

Little more than two weeks ago I became sick, rapidly progressed in 24 hours from the oh crap I’m getting sick feeling to ugh I’m sick.
First night I was exhausted and sort of cold
Next day aches
Day 3 more aches worst ever from being sick but not crippled
Day 4 similar to day 3, I didn’t take my temperature but had a few hot/cold moments
Day 5 felt better but kind of weak
Day 6 strength/appetite came back
Apx day 10 cough became less frequent
*I had a dry cough from day one* not a frequent cough but fits of coughing

Reading the symptoms I appeared to have all of them but it’s confusing because maybe it was a regular cold.
3 people( or their family) that I've talked with had all of the flu symptoms in Jan but tested negative. Think we've had the corona for months. If provable, maybe people would calm down a bit. Or not.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Check this out if you guys want. Some uplifting stuff in here. The one concerning thing is the fact that we've outsourced most of our pharmatical drugs to China. That could be an issue.

Watched it the minute it went up but the last two videos in this series had egregious errors.

The John Bolton look-alike kept saying the Tiananmen Square Massacre was in 1979. In the second one they all went on and on about the UK's "tactic" of herd immunity when the UK only discussed it as a consequence (not a goal).

I subscribed to Valuetainment months ago for Pat's more in-depth videos, like Brexit, Iran, and Venezuela, but that little group chat he had with those two guys is turning out to be a dumpster fire.

Last edited:

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
I've been saying for the last 2 weeks that, with my extensive scientific knowledge (speaking out of my ass), my thought is that if a magic test existed whereby you could magically test the entire country instantly, we would see that 50% + of us are already infected or were previously infected. I think for the most part people are not displaying symptoms or confusing them for something else. Everyone is getting infected, 2% of us will die, and the rest will go on. For the sake of our economy, I hope that plays out sooner rather than later.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Watched it the minute it went up but the last two videos in this series had egregious errors.

The John Bolton look-alike kept saying the Tiananmen Square Massacre was in 1979. In the second one they all went on and on about the UK's "tactic" of herd immunity when they only discussed it as a consequence (not a goal).

I subscribed to Valuetainment months ago for Pat's more in-depth videos, like Brexit, Iran, and Venezuela, but that little group chat he had with those two guys is turning out to be a dumpster fire.

Thanks for the heads up.

echo4747

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2005
View attachment 18401
And away we go!

Glad I just bought my victory garden stuff!
-hardly a 100% shutdown... look at the list exempt from this order:

Essential health care operations including

• research and laboratory services
  • hospitals
  • walk-in-care health facilities
  • veterinary and animal health services
  • elder care
  • medical wholesale and distribution
  • home health care workers or aides
  • doctor and dentist offices
  • nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities
  • medical supplies and equipment providers
Essential infrastructure including

• utilities including power generation, fuel supply and transmission
  • public water and wastewater
  • telecommunications and data centers
  • airports/airlines
  • transportation infrastructure such as bus, rail, or for-hire vehicles, garages
Essential manufacturing including

• food processing, including all foods and beverages
  • chemicals
  • medical equipment/instruments
  • pharmaceuticals
  • safety and sanitary products
  • telecommunications
  • microelectronics/semi-conductor
  • agriculture/farms
  • paper products
Essential retail including

• grocery stores including all food and beverage stores
  • pharmacies
  • convenience stores
  • farmer’s markets
  • gas stations
  • restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery)
  • hardware and building material stores
Essential services including

• trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal
  • mail and shipping services
  • laundromats/dry cleaning
  • building cleaning and maintenance
  • child care services
  • auto repair
  • warehouse/distribution and fulfillment
  • funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries
  • storage for essential businesses
  • animal shelters or animal care or management
News media

Financial Institutions including

• banks
  • insurance
  • payroll
  • accounting
Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including

• homeless shelters and congregate care facilities
  • food banks
  • human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support
Construction including

• skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers
  • other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
Defense

• defense and national security-related operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government
Essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences or other essential businesses including

• law enforcement
  • fire prevention and response
  • building code enforcement
  • security
  • emergency management and response
  • building cleaners or janitors
  • general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor
  • automotive repair
  • disinfection
  • doormen
Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care and services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public including

• logistics
  • technology support
  • child care programs and services
  • government owned or leased buildings
  • essential government services
If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an essential business

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I mean when you really look at it, it's pretty much, "no outside entertainment." Which is what the entire country should be doing. We're already obsessed enough with our phones, streaming, and social media, that this shouldn't be a large disruption in that regard.

Reactions: mopardude87

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009

Essential health care operations including

• research and laboratory services
  • hospitals
  • walk-in-care health facilities
  • veterinary and animal health services
  • elder care
  • medical wholesale and distribution
  • home health care workers or aides
  • doctor and dentist offices
  • nursing homes, or residential health care facilities or congregate care facilities
  • medical supplies and equipment providers
Essential infrastructure including

• utilities including power generation, fuel supply and transmission
  • public water and wastewater
  • telecommunications and data centers
  • airports/airlines
  • transportation infrastructure such as bus, rail, or for-hire vehicles, garages
Essential manufacturing including

• food processing, including all foods and beverages
  • chemicals
  • medical equipment/instruments
  • pharmaceuticals
  • safety and sanitary products
  • telecommunications
  • microelectronics/semi-conductor
  • agriculture/farms
  • paper products
Essential retail including

• grocery stores including all food and beverage stores
  • pharmacies
  • convenience stores
  • farmer’s markets
  • gas stations
  • restaurants/bars (but only for take-out/delivery)
  • hardware and building material stores
Essential services including

• trash and recycling collection, processing and disposal
  • mail and shipping services
  • laundromats/dry cleaning
  • building cleaning and maintenance
  • child care services
  • auto repair
  • warehouse/distribution and fulfillment
  • funeral homes, crematoriums and cemeteries
  • storage for essential businesses
  • animal shelters or animal care or management
News media

Financial Institutions including

• banks
  • insurance
  • payroll
  • accounting
Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations including

• homeless shelters and congregate care facilities
  • food banks
  • human services providers whose function includes the direct care of patients in state-licensed or funded voluntary programs; the care, protection, custody and oversight of individuals both in the community and in state-licensed residential facilities; those operating community shelters and other critical human services agencies providing direct care or support
Construction including

• skilled trades such as electricians, plumbers
  • other related construction firms and professionals for essential infrastructure or for emergency repair and safety purposes
Defense

• defense and national security-related operations supporting the U.S. Government or a contractor to the US government
Essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences or other essential businesses including

• law enforcement
  • fire prevention and response
  • building code enforcement
  • security
  • emergency management and response
  • building cleaners or janitors
  • general maintenance whether employed by the entity directly or a vendor
  • automotive repair
  • disinfection
  • doormen
Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care and services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public including

• logistics
  • technology support
  • child care programs and services
  • government owned or leased buildings
  • essential government services
If the function of your business is not listed above, but you believe that it is essential or it is an entity providing essential services or functions, you may request designation as an essential business
Hardly 100%

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I dunno, that excludes large swathes of the population. I just went to 3 stores this morning, two of which won't be open Saturday (hardware store, lumber store). What percentage of commercial buildings represent essential services? Like 30%?

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I mean when you really look at it, it's pretty much, "no outside entertainment." Which is what the entire country should be doing. We're already obsessed enough with our phones, streaming, and social media, that this shouldn't be a large disruption in that regard.

I preached this on my facebook, i was like people enjoy some beer get some weed if its legal there enjoy yourselfs. Consider any stay at home pay for maybe weeks one hell of a vacation. Have fun with it, don't be sitting there shaking in fear with your heads up your ass for the warmth.

Reactions: snoopy7548