NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 181 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Isn't that what everyone does with meat they aren't cooking right away? Typically goes straight from the shopping bag to the freezer unless I was waiting on it as the missing ingredient to a meal preparation in progress. I mean, maybe I'll put it in the fridge if I plan to cook it the next morning or something but I figured people generally freeze their stored meats.
I'll buy a roast at Costco, beef or their 4-packs of pork roasts. The beef I'll typically either portion into ~1lb chunks and chop into stew beef size chunks, bag and freeze. The pork roasts I generally toss into the freezer because they are already perfectly sealed. I also, before freezing one of those pork roasts (that average about 2lb each), I'll chop it up into pieces and weigh our portions averaging anywhere from 4-5.5 ounces, put in individual bags with a twist tie and actually mark the bags with the weight (my ever trusty kitchen scale gets used several times/day). I toss those little bags in the freezer. I can make sweet and sour pork in ten minutes using one of those and the cut up frozen pineapple that also lives in my freezer. I even have frozen guacamole (homemade) in the freezer.

Reactions: CZroe

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You still can't read, can you? Need a new set of reading glasses? You're nothing but a troll who everyone points and laughs at - you can't even read a simple post without flying off the handle, grandpa.
Dumbass, did anyone ever tell you to respect your elders? You are a head case, dude.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes, the poor and middle class are generally the stupid ones.

One makes irrational decisions built on stupidity.

The other makes logical financial decisions based on thought.
Ah, but if you look at the stock market today, it's diving still. There's an old famous adage in the stock market, "don't try to catch a falling knife."

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ah, but if you look at the stock market today, it's diving still. There's an old famous adage in the stock market, "don't try to catch a falling knife."

Having bought into a falling market before, I can tell you that timing the market precisely is difficult, but running against averages can work. Based on the last market downturn, we can reasonably expect that markets will return to full valuation in ~5 years (that's how long it took the S&P500 to recover from the 2008 crash, more-or-less). If you are patient enough to hold for that long, anything off the peak is potentially a bargain. It's going to vary from stock to stock, but if you can buy a broad slice of the index and get stocks that are not going to die (or if you get things like ETFs or whatever), then right now the entire market is at a discount even if it's going to keep falling. Nobody can find the bottom. Point is, once the bargains are out there, you don't really need to find it.

edit: btw, Hydroxychloroquine might stop Covid-19

Go get your gin & tonic gents! We'll whip this malaria Covid-19 yet!

Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You just proved why it's useless for me to explain it to you. You think I'm talking about evil rich people pulling levers as they see fit? :rolleyes: You can't see the big picture. You're so blind. You can't see what's happening now is the direct consequence of the rich stupid fvcks who were allowed to leverage to crazy levels to chase returns? And rich asshole CEOs and their crony boards allowed to grossly reward themselves to the max with ill advised stock buybacks with money and loans they could've desperately used and need now? No, it was the rich fvcks behaving recklessly that's causing most of this crazy damage we're seeing today in the stock market and bond market. It's not the mom and pop and general public. Everyone in the world is being screwed even harder because of selfish actions of these rich bastards.
There really is a lot to that. Margin calls will force sales and those sales will pull the market even lower. Margin calls are the result of people leveraging their money in the market. I've never bought on margin, personally. I'm pretty sure the market is below where it was when Trump took office, and it's continuing to fall. It looks like it's mostly going to be hair raising bad news in the coming weeks, so I'm prepared and expecting to see the market to continue drifting lower.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Curious, who besides the wealthy have the capability to buy the stocks by the billions that are being dumped?

I am not wealthy and I am still buying stocks (index mutual fund) via dollar cost average. The first day of every month for many years. Full speed ahead.

I even think about if the stocks are lower, I would buy even more with my play money (more risky bets).

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
...except they kinda did shut it down over a virus. I watched Louis Rossmann ride his bike through an almost completely empty Times Square the other day.

Yeah saw that, but originally the mayor said they were not closing anything which seemed crazy. Glad they changed their mind.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
View attachment 18401
And away we go!

Glad I just bought my victory garden stuff!
I was hoping Cuomo would do this... a few days ago. Didn't he go 1/2 force to 1/4 force to none in like 3 days? What was he thinking?? NY has almost 1/2 the confirmed cases in the country. Seems like a week ago there were hardly any.

Uh, @[DHT]Osiris, where did you get your garden stuff? I was going to my local nursery (2-3 times) before things started really blowing up here asking about a 6 pack of tomato seedlings, but they didn't have them yet. Now, they're probably closed. I think I'll prepare my planting space and hope for volunteers... or maybe I'll buy some seeds online. Just going for volunteers would probably be faster.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Has anyone been tested yet? Just curious?

Is there any cause for concern?
Are you coughing? High temp? Difficulty breathing?

There's a thread for that . https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/atot-covid-19-victims-thread.2578068/
admin allisolm
Well, I think there's cause for concern for almost all of us. The incubation time for this is 2-14 days and I saw it said from a presumably reliable source that it can be longer. I am NOT assuming I'm not infected at any time. In fact, I have my thermometer right beside me and have been taking my temperature daily. OK, nobody blow up on me, OK?

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
And that's the difference between Covid-19 and influenza. In a nutshell.

Not 100% true because some more rare influenza strains, such as the 1918 Spanish Flu, can also cause it, but compared to the "normal" influenza, you're right.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
so you are gay ;( why get married in the first place, no wonder she is so crazy she married a gay guy ;(

You don't really know how life works do you? It's what i think people call a general statement. Also reported that comment so good job.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I was hoping Cuomo would do this... a few days ago. Didn't he go 1/2 force to 1/4 force to none in like 3 days? What was he thinking?? NY has almost 1/2 the confirmed cases in the country. Seems like a week ago there were hardly any.

Uh, @[DHT]Osiris, where did you get your garden stuff? I was going to my local nursery (2-3 times) before things started really blowing up here asking about a 6 pack of tomato seedlings, but they didn't have them yet. Now, they're probably closed. I think I'll prepare my planting space and hope for volunteers... or maybe I'll buy some seeds online. Just going for volunteers would probably be faster.
Got mine from an Agway TrueValue, they had seeds for days. Just bought a few packs of carrots, broccoli, cucumbers, and bean sprouts. Got all the wood from a local lumber yard, wasn't going to risk Lowe's right now.

If you do seeds online, I'll give a shameless bump for J.L. Hudson's seeds (http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/), they have a shockingly large selection of seeds, and very good prices.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Whatever measures the various governments do TODAY will begin to show their effects AFTER the incubation period, which is SUPPOSED to be 14 days.
The average incubation period is 5 days. 14 days is the conservative upper limit. Actually, it can be longer, I heard, but that would be rare. It can be as little as 2 days.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
The average incubation period is 5 days. 14 days is the conservative upper limit. Actually, it can be longer, I heard, but that would be rare. It can be as little as 2 days.
I've heard it can be as high as 24 days but it stands to reason the vast majority would be a smaller period, hence the 14 days.

I'm sure the day Italy reports a significant reduction in the number of new cases is the day AFTER the AVERAGE incubation period ends.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I just saw a report on NBC News online via YouTube about Italy. It shown what was going on in a hospital and not one, not two, not three but several patients in a room with clear plastic covers over their heads, tried to breath, and doctors and nurses in full bio hazard suits tried their best to deal with the situation.

Just like in a scary Hollywood movie but it was real life.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I just saw a report on NBC News online via YouTube about Italy. It shown what was going on in a hospital and not one, not two, not three but several patients in a room with clear plastic covers over their heads, tried to breath, and doctors and nurses in full bio hazard suits tried their best to deal with the situation.

Just like in a scary Hollywood movie but it was real life.
And now remember that the US is about 10 days behind them.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Dumbass, did anyone ever tell you to respect your elders? You are a head case, dude.

Take it to PM if you want to continue - I’m done with your idiocy in this thread but I’ll be more than happy to put you in your place there.

I hope you mean it when you say you're going to take it to PM 'cause you both need to knock it off here .
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
WTF is wrong with people? Some asshole shows up on my front porch today trying to sell me solar panels. His fucking job is to go from stranger to stranger to stranger and he doesn't understand why that might be problematic.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
WTF is wrong with people? Some asshole shows up on my front porch today trying to sell me solar panels. His fucking job is to go from stranger to stranger to stranger and he doesn't understand why that might be problematic.
People need to work. I just don't answer the door though. If you're knocking on my front door, I don't know you.

Reactions: ponyo