NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 178 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
The sad thing is that "Social Distancing" is about as effective at preventing COVID-19 as the pull out method is at preventing pregnancy.

It's better than nothing, but highly unreliable and not something you should count on.

Reactions: Muse and killster1

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Of course not, I'm not a barbarian, so I prefer to cook meat that hasn't been frozen.

Everyone prefers it never-frozen, but unless you work in food service or plan to prepare it in the next 36 hours you are expected to put meat in the freezer.

Right? I mean, I'm not that out of touch, am I?

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The sad thing is that "Social Distancing" is about as effective at preventing COVID-19 as the pull out method is at preventing pregnancy.

It's better than nothing, but highly unreliable and not something you should count on.
Social distancing is working extremely well in the places where REAL social distancing was being practiced early enough or forcefully enough. What doesn't work is asking nicely.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Think about this. The poor, middle class are buying toilet paper. The wealthy are buying stocks.

Makes you think.
The wealthy are not buying stocks. They're dumping stocks by the billions. What do you think this crash is from? You think mom and pop investors are selling stocks to cause this? It's the fvcking highly leveraged hedgefunds and macrofunds that were leveraged like 10x-15x that's puking up stock and selling that's causing all this insane volatility. It's like Long Term Capital Management collapse but magnified by like 100 to 1,000X. You have no fvcking clue what's happening. The wealthy are the ones invested in these leveraged hedgefunds chasing returns. This kind of 10-15X leverage should've been outlawed and against the law. But they weren't and they're causing mass havoc all over the world with their forced selling and margin calls. They're selling causes others to force sell. It's domino caused by the levered hedgefunds. So it's the public and people like me that's going to bailout the damage caused by these reckless levered hedgefunds.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Everyone does, but unless you work in food service or plan to prepare it in the next 36 hours you are expected to put meat in the freezer.

Yeah, you are.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The sad thing is you actually believe this.
It's beyond sad. These yes man believe the rich didn't cause this while we the public have to bailout rich asses from economic collapse once again. The stupidity of these people just pisses me off sometimes.

Reactions: zinfamous

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Everyone does, but unless you work in food service or plan to prepare it in the next 36 hours you are expected to put meat in the freezer.

It's got a "use or freeze by" date on it, that's my guideline, typically it will be a week or two out.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

Eh if you know how to control, the pullout method works just fine. So does common sense since a woman has 24 hours a month where she can even get pregnant.

The real problem is stupid people, which is the majority of the population.

Nov 8, 2012
It's beyond sad. These yes man believe the rich didn't cause this while we the public have to bailout rich asses from economic collapse once again. The stupidity of these people just pisses me off sometimes.

lol what do you guys smoke? Can you pass me one too?

How did "the rich" cause people to be quarantined, stop traveling on planes for work, stop shopping, etc? Go on. Do tell!

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
lol what do you guys smoke? Can you pass me one too?

How did "the rich" cause people to be quarantined, stop traveling on planes for work, stop shopping, etc? Go on. Do tell!
Go read the my post above explaining why the market volatility has been so extreme along with the pace and magnitude of the decline. Also think about why these companies can't weather drop in business for a period of time. Why they're in that position. It's no use explaining any of this to people like you.

Nov 8, 2012
Go read the my post above explaining why the market volatility has been so extreme along with the pace and magnitude of the decline. Also think about why these companies can't weather drop in business for a period of time. Why they're in that position. It's no use explaining any of this to people like you.

The market is a DIRECT result of what the consumer does. It's not some evil rich people pulling levers as they see fit little buddy.

Yeah, if your planes turn from 95% filled to capacity, and it turns to 0-5% in 1 week, shit has officially hit the fan.

You should consider starting to take your meds again.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
The market is a DIRECT result of what the consumer does. It's not some evil rich people pulling levers as they see fit little buddy.

Yeah, if your planes turn from 95% filled to capacity, and it turns to 0-5% in 1 week, shit has officially hit the fan.

You should consider starting to take your meds again.
You just proved why it's useless for me to explain it to you. You think I'm talking about evil rich people pulling levers as they see fit? :rolleyes: You can't see the big picture. You're so blind. You can't see what's happening now is the direct consequence of the rich stupid fvcks who were allowed to leverage to crazy levels to chase returns? And rich asshole CEOs and their crony boards allowed to grossly reward themselves to the max with ill advised stock buybacks with money and loans they could've desperately used and need now? No, it was the rich fvcks behaving recklessly that's causing most of this crazy damage we're seeing today in the stock market and bond market. It's not the mom and pop and general public. Everyone in the world is being screwed even harder because of selfish actions of these rich bastards.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Huh? Social distancing has scientific backing. What makes you think that isolating people would be ineffective or unreliable?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

all state of california is under a no move order by the govna.

Of course not, I'm not a barbarian, so I prefer to cook meat that hasn't been frozen.
i think normal people dont freeze meat but i have been vacuum sealing meat for the past 2 weeks stocking up, have 3 freezers full of fish chicken cornish game hens tbones etc, might as well since last time i went to the store they limited my chicken thighs to 2 pounds so there is that.. hate having to go to the store so many times too, really i should have frozen bread im down to two loafs and if i make french toast its at least half a loaf gone :p

Nov 8, 2012
Huh? Social distancing has scientific backing. What makes you think that isolating people would be ineffective or unreliable?

Well, depends what you call social distancing....

Is it... just standing 3 ft away from people instead of 1 ft that you normally would? Because that probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Or do you also think closure of restaurants/bars and cancelling of events is a part of "social distancing" as well? Because that part probably does make much more of a difference.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i think normal people dont freeze meat but i have been vacuum sealing meat for the past 2 weeks stocking up, have 3 freezers full of fish chicken cornish game hens tbones etc, might as well since last time i went to the store they limited my chicken thighs to 2 pounds so there is that.. hate having to go to the store so many times too, really i should have frozen bread im down to two loafs and if i make french toast its at least half a loaf gone :p

Good.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

Is it... just standing 3 ft away from people instead of 1 ft that you normally would? Because that probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Or do you also think closure of restaurants/bars and cancelling of events is a part of "social distancing" as well? Because that part probably does make much more of a difference.
No, social distancing is generally considered to be: isolate at home when possible, only go out briefly, don't gather in large groups, and if you do, try not to lick each other's faces.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

depends how potent you are and how good you are at pulling out :) but wearing a mask should increase the odds greatly. ive been pretty lucky with the pull out technique every time i dont i have a kid (except the day after she stops bleeding you dont have to pull out :p :p ) its proven fact by me.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

That IS part of social distancing, the biggest part.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Dang, VPN's & streaming services are killing the Internet. All of my clients are getting hit with outages...

internet4.png

internet1.png

internet2.png

internet3.png