NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 175 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I your back & forth with IndyColtsFan about long term quarantine, in your scenario, is the government supposed to support everyone for years? We'd still have to pay bills at least. If we're at home we can't work.
That's a good question. There's been a lot of talk about UBI, and despite what congress is passing it's not gonna cut it long-term. At minimum, we're in this for 3 months. Very likely we're in this for 12-18, and it's possible we'll be dealing with some kind of on-off work scheduling for 3+ years unless something very dramatic changes, such as the development of a treatment which can effectively eliminate all current strains (or at least all strains that can kill large swathes of the population), followed by a concerted worldwide deployment, which is exceedingly difficult. Bear in mind the only thing we've really eliminated is smallpox, and that took decades.

So, given that, does the government have enough tax steam with folks WFH/finding new, mostly remote careers to support a UBI system strong enough to keep the ball rolling? Not sure, I'm willing to bet we're going to get to find out, though!

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
ummm what? you can die from a lot of things i bet statistically driving your car is more dangerous then the virus (joking)
lol, not quite, but I understand your point.
but it wont hurt to give it a little time and see whats up. are you super old?
Agreed, I don't have high hopes though! And nah, 36, but I've got in-laws that are in the red zone, a blind GF, and a pile of family members that I care about.
simply put on gloves before pumping if you are not that bright right?
Gonna throw those gloves away after, to ensure you don't cross-contaminate some other surface? Gonna throw on another pair for when you give the Mc D's teller your CC, then cleanse the CC after? How about grabbing any door handle in public? Super hard to outsmart it everywhere. Far easier to just not be touching all that stuff :)
i have at least 30 pairs of gloves in my car all the time.
You must realize that an inordinately small percentage of the population has any gloves at all, much less 30 pairs on them at any given time.
That's good, since it was burned to the ground by Julius fucking Caesar in 48 B.C.
thatsthejoke.jpg
I'm saying I'd rather miss out on seeing something that could literally never be seen again, rather than risk the lives of others who didn't choose it. It's irresponsible and smacks of childishness.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
All this is a good example as to why permanent UBI might actually be a good idea. Get rid of every single financial assistant program that exists and all the admin overhead (having to process and approve applications etc) and simply implement UBI. Make it so it is enough to live, but not necessarily live super comfortably, so that people don't get lazy and not work. (that is the big fear people have if UBI is implemented). I guess the issue is the money has to come from somewhere... The idea of it should be that in a future where everything is automated and outsourced people perhaps SHOULD be able to live decently comfortably off it. If nobody has jobs then there's nobody paying taxes. So yeah I don't know what would be the best way to implement it but I think if it was done well it would work. A start would be to have corporations actually pay the same tax rate as we do.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
lol, not quite, but I understand your point.

Agreed, I don't have high hopes though! And nah, 36, but I've got in-laws that are in the red zone, a blind GF, and a pile of family members that I care about.

Gonna throw those gloves away after, to ensure you don't cross-contaminate some other surface? Gonna throw on another pair for when you give the Mc D's teller your CC, then cleanse the CC after? How about grabbing any door handle in public? Super hard to outsmart it everywhere. Far easier to just not be touching all that stuff :)

You must realize that an inordinately small percentage of the population has any gloves at all, much less 30 pairs on them at any given time.

thatsthejoke.jpg
I'm saying I'd rather miss out on seeing something that could literally never be seen again, rather than risk the lives of others who didn't choose it. It's irresponsible and smacks of childishness.
well i dont eat at mcgarbage. and sure take them off with out infecting myself and throw them away. just imagine blood all over them and having to take them off with out getting blood on you it takes a few trys to perfect but you pinch the sleeve fold it into it self etc. well whats stopping you from having gloves? pretty sure a box of 100 pairs is shit i dont know the price but here is 5.99 for some cool black ones

well im not saying travel and then go back right away to infect everyone, you could travel and then come back and not talk to them for 2 weeks to make sure your ok ? im sure you can figure something out.

lets not be like average people we can do better then the usual dumb dumb citizen.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
well i dont eat at mcgarbage. and sure take them off with out infecting myself and throw them away. just imagine blood all over them and having to take them off with out getting blood on you it takes a few trys to perfect but you pinch the sleeve fold it into it self etc. well whats stopping you from having gloves? pretty sure a box of 100 pairs is shit i dont know the price but here is 5.99 for some cool black ones
Sorry, to clarify, I meant throwing them out after touching a potentially infected surface. Doesn't do much good to wear them long enough to infect your vehicle as well, and to actually be effective, you'd need to continue to swap them out for every new surface you might touch. That'd be exhausting and we'd very probably run out of gloves if we did that as a nation, despite the price.
well im not saying travel and then go back right away to infect everyone, you could travel and then come back and not talk to them for 2 weeks to make sure your ok ? im sure you can figure something out.
Maybe, or maybe you'll infect someone on the way home, like whoever's handing out drinks on the plane, or whoever's on the subway with you, or whoever you might get within 6 feet of on the way back from wherever you were to home. Too many variables to completely avoid infection vectors. 'Best effort' will only get you so far with something this virulent.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Sorry, to clarify, I meant throwing them out after touching a potentially infected surface. Doesn't do much good to wear them long enough to infect your vehicle as well, and to actually be effective, you'd need to continue to swap them out for every new surface you might touch. That'd be exhausting and we'd very probably run out of gloves if we did that as a nation, despite the price.

Maybe, or maybe you'll infect someone on the way home, like whoever's handing out drinks on the plane, or whoever's on the subway with you, or whoever you might get within 6 feet of on the way back from wherever you were to home. Too many variables to completely avoid infection vectors. 'Best effort' will only get you so far with something this virulent.
how many surfaces do you really need to touch? buy yourself some bleach wipes then or make some, you dont need to use two gloves every time, when did i say driving with the gloves on that i used on that dangerous gas pump? ^_^ yes sure everything has its risks but who is taking the plane rides if everyone possibly could infect? not even the pilot would be on board right? the flight attendants might infect you so they shouldn't be working according to your logic right?

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Several countries are banning or about to ban all international flights for a week or longer. The local mall was open today but about 90% of the stores closed. Same for the outlet mall. Local Walmart has a sign of new hours from 7 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. All of restaurants seating sections are closed, only take out, drive through, and delivery.

This is bad. Even worse than 9/11 or anything from the last 25 years IMO.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
And it begins.... a case in my city.

Edit: actual news article out now: https://www.timminspress.com/news/local-news/first-case-of-covid-19-in-timmins-confirmed-phu

Sorry for FB link...

FIRST CASE OF COVID-19 REPORTED BY PORCUPINE HEALTH UNIT

Today, Dr. Lianne Catton, Medical Officer of Health of the Porcupine Health Unit (PHU), confirmed the first case of COVID-19 in the PHU region.

A male in their 50s returned to Timmins after recent international travel. He developed respiratory symptoms and notified the Porcupine Health Unit (PHU) on March 17th, 2020. PHU facilitated testing in the individual’s home by the Cochrane District Emergency Medical Services (EMS) paramedicine program the same day.

EMS staff took all necessary infection prevention and control precautions. Following testing, the patient has remained in self isolation at home, following public health guidance and monitoring.

Dr. Catton said, “The PHU continues to work closely with local, regional and provincial partners to monitor and detect any cases of COVID-19 in the community. We thank those partners for their ongoing cooperation and support.”

While not unexpected, this confirmed case reinforces the need for all residents to follow public health recommendations. Social distancing – avoiding crowds and close contact with those outside of your immediate family, as well as staying home as much as possible are important measures for all – even if you feel well. Dr. Catton says, “Every community member plays an essential role in reducing the spread and impact of COVID-19 in the PHU area and protecting those at greater risk for this infection.”

At this time, all international travellers are advised to self isolate for 14 days upon return to Canada, if any symptoms occur, there is an online assessment tool and contact the Porcupine Health Unit at 705-267-1181, extension 2919, Toll free: 1-800-461-1818, extension 2919.

To reduce the spread of viruses including the flu and the COVID-19 the PHU recommends that you:
* Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just cleaned your hands
* Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand
* Stay home if you are sick
* Practice social distancing by avoiding close contact with people outside your immediate families. This means staying 2 metres apart from others while at work, and while running errands or attending appointments in the community.

The PHU is actively monitoring the situation and will continue to provide updates to the public.

Last edited:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Trolling any?

Excuse the fuck out of me. I'm not the only ne who necroed my post from January to tell me my STILL RELEVANT advise to NOT BUY Masks for protection from the virus was some fucking how responsible for the shortage of masks.

The other guy is trolling. I'm simply handing him his ass.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
End of an era, Playboy is gone, the print version. Partly due to the virus they claim. It's a good excuse though. Sorry if a repost.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
Friend up north just texted me that her friend was fined $400 for not maintaining proper distance from someone in a parking lot.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007

My god, I'm badly shaken by this article. NYC could be worse than Italy. Could hit hospital capacity in five days. This is all, of course, people that already have it, just won't show symptoms until then. They need to totally shut it down, enforced quarantine. Just a total nightmare.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Walmarts website said my local branch was open 24/7.
Drove over last night to pick up whatever I could. They had a sign on the door saying Closed.
A much smaller sign said they would only be open between 7 and 8:30. Really wish those signs were much bigger and the website was kept up to date. Also worried they may be cleaned out tomorrow morning.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Why is nobody talking about Germany? They currently only have a CFR of %.30, and that's out of 14,544 confirmed cases.

Is this a case of super aggressive testing similar to South Korea?
I had a conversation with a guy today (phone) and we noted the vacuum of info coming out of Russia. It's like the iron curtain.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So we should lie about our numbers and say "Everything is A-Okay - Come join us for the olympics!" ?

I will give them credit though, in general Japan has an amazing culture that actually is very independent and hard-working like American's - but unlike American's they aren't assholes and are actually considerate to others.
Except for that asshole who burned down the factory where he worked with all his coworkers inside around 3 years ago IIRC. :(

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
If I need to spend six weeks cooped up with my wife and daughter, I'm going to go batshit crazy. That amount of constant social interaction is NOT healthy.
Don't know what to tell you except this.... Can't you get some privacy at home? If you need to, get some isolating earbuds and listen to music that isn't distracting and read some good books. Solitude is really important no matter what your circumstance if you want to maintain your sanity. This pandemic is NOT going to drive me nuts.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
its too late to be arguing about masks. there are no more masks. why are we even talking about masks?
I don't know... I have a bunch, I bought them over the last 3 years or so, N95's, because of the wildfires around here. I've given away eleven of them, but have a bunch. I'm wondering if and when I should wear them, TBH.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
New Bill in congress - President Trump says he doesn't want to see Executive Bonus' or stock buybacks from any industries that require a bailout. Good to hear.
Not what I heard him say, and I saw the video of him saying it tonight. What he said was he hoped they wouldn't use the money to buy back their stock but that's up to them. Not his exact words, but that's what he said. He really loves rich people.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Need some help here. The rules for shelter in place for all of California says you can't visit a friend or relative across town unless it's urgent. Fine. But what if it's for sex and you haven't had sex with your fiancé or significant other for a few days? I can't find the answer on the net. Don't be jealous, I don't even have a gf.

Imagine arguing with county or city officials and they say you can go a week or two without sex and you saying hold on a minute it's more like every 3 or 4 days. Again it only matters if your gf or bf doesn't live with you. Edit: So to sum up do you think sex could fall under "urgent" needs to visit a friend in the cities and regions with shelter in place orders?

Last edited: