NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always feel bad calling in sick, but in the end I know it's always the best thing to do. Though when I get sick it tends to last for weeks if months, so I can't exactly call in sick that long, but I will at least call in for the worst of it, which I think is the point you are the most contagious anyway. This is where I really think companies need to make working at home more standard as when you do call in sick, rather than going in when you feel better you could just work from home for a couple weeks or more.

I hope the silver lining of this pandemic is that more companies will look into making working from home more acceptable, and more standard.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
no, come into work sick and sit right next to me or across from me, coughing their head off all day

i've left work a couple times because i couldn't stand being around them
lulz cough my head off at work, nope not me i rarely cough even if am sick, i dont sit next to anyone, you sound like a hypochondriac baby. like i said i wouldnt come into work with the coronavirus or anything, there never has been much anything serious to give anyone, i cant even remember the last time i was sick other than from eating seafood like oysters or raw chicken.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I always feel bad calling in sick, but in the end I know it's always the best thing to do. Though when I get sick it tends to last for weeks if months, so I can't exactly call in sick that long, but I will at least call in for the worst of it, which I think is the point you are the most contagious anyway. This is where I really think companies need to make working at home more standard as when you do call in sick, rather than going in when you feel better you could just work from home for a couple weeks or more.

I hope the silver lining of this pandemic is that more companies will look into making working from home more acceptable, and more standard.
you get sick for weeks or months and are giving health advice :p so fun!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

It could save a lot of gasoline and therefore pollution, not just from burning gasoline but also oil and transmission fluid and making tires and trashing tires.
Also reduce stress for SOME cubicle dwellers but not all of them.
Reduce traffic congestion and road stress, and thus road repairs.
It MIGHT make things easier on some parents. But others may actually experience more stress.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Another NBA player tested positive. Note that I also saw a tweet that says that Wood has no symptoms and was only tested because he played against Gobert.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018

Another NBA player tested positive. Note that I also saw a tweet that says that Wood has no symptoms and was only tested because he played against Gobert.

That right there is the reason there's so many cases worldwide: governments assume you only need to worry about those showing symptoms and so they only need to test those when in fact they need to test a heck of a lot more than that.

It's why they should have endeavored to produce as many testing kits as possible as soon as possible and deploy them right away, instead of delaying ... and waiting to see if there were cases in their countries ... and delaying some more ...

Now they're running behind but, because this virus is exponential, it gets further and further ahead so, regardless of whatever measures countries take, they are taking them WAY TOO LATE. The cost of this, which would ALWAYS be serious, will be catastrophic instead.

Lockdowns are / will be in place and work will be severely restricted because of it, so:

- the expense this will require will be a significant portion of the yearly budget
- workers can't work thus don't generate tax for the country
- businesses grind to a halt, mostly

If this takes a long time to pass, expect countries economies to crash by 20%+ by the end of the year. This will be a global recession the likes of which the world's never seen.

Reactions: Muse

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I think only Penn State and Alabama and maybe Texas actually turn a net profit on their athletics expenses, in the end.

mmmm what?

It's more than just those. I don't keep track yearly but Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Florida etc are typically positive - some of them substantially so. They usually pay full price for their student athletes allowing the school to offer scholarships elsewhere instead of to the athletes. Investments in infrastructure to expand/improve utilities and network frequently benefit nearby buildings that would otherwise be unable to afford them. They usually keep consessions and parking fees from the facilities directly attached to stadiums/fields but the notable expenditures elsewhere on campus go to the university. Also - being a fully self funded segment of the University is a boon anyway as many of the smaller schools at a large University are not and require subsidies to exist

Yeah that seems more like it. The big unis make a ton of money off their products, book store sales, licensing deals, etc. Plus they pull in secondary income from alumni support. They actually pay bounties on games with smaller schools to keep their competitors liquid. Some school programs are in the red, but not all of them.

The cancellation of college sports tournaments is going to be an enormous economic hit.

For all those who claim this can't happen in democracies - Spain is locking down now just like Italy.

All depends on what their governments are allowed to do. The US Constitution puts some pretty big limits on what the government here can and can't do with you. Other countries with representative governments don't necessarily have those limits.

Honestly I hate those damn things. You gotta hit the button (guess you might be able to get it with your hip ...don't kick it!), they make a shit-ton of god awful noise and it takes too damn long to dry your hands. Meantime there's apt to be someone behind you waiting. Yeah, paper costs money. I try not to waste it. Shake off what you can, you can do a semi-dry on your pants, the rest with paper. Then use the paper to get out the door without picking up some virus!

Modern designs use sensors to activate automatically when you put your hands under the dryer.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
They also need to make it the law that companies still need to pay them, I think it goes both ways. But yeah going to work sick should not be the norm and they should still get paid, and also don't require doctor letters. The last thing you want is people who are sick filling out the clinic waiting in line. Laws really need to change so that people stop feeling obligated to go to work when sick.

Tim Hortons for example is forcing people to get a letter from the doctor, so most are just showing up to work instead... and these people are serving food product. Stuff like that needs to stop. If you're sick you should be able to stay home and should get paid and not be required a doctor letter.

Some companies are better than others especially those with unions, but it needs to be across the board.

That is redicilous. If anyone gets sick I hope Hortons get sued for millions. Something has got to change. This is a pandemic. You shouldn't be going to work if sick.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Lol that's ohare every day. Okay, not quite but still... I would take an anal reaming over coming in through Ohare. I'll take Midway a million times over.

Hard to fly into MDW from Europe. The new policy and its execution is a titanic failure we’re going to regret.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
It could save a lot of gasoline and therefore pollution, not just from burning gasoline but also oil and transmission fluid and making tires and trashing tires.
Also reduce stress for SOME cubicle dwellers but not all of them.
Reduce traffic congestion and road stress, and thus road repairs.
It MIGHT make things easier on some parents. But others may actually experience more stress.

It definitely would be great for everyone and the environment. There needs to be a great change in how work is done. Sadly I don't see it happening, it's only wishful thinking.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
you get sick for weeks or months and are giving health advice :p so fun!

Never gave advice about anything, there's a big difference between casual conversation or personal opinion, and advice.

Not like I have control over how long my colds last for. Once you get it, any precautions you do are kinda too late, you need to let it run it's course. Even with all the right precautions you can still get sick.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I saw someone buying two giant case packs of Corona Light just a few minutes ago. Either he loves the stuff or he was trying to be funny.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
American Airlines is basically ending long haul international service except a few flights to LHR and NRT. Almost the entire wide body fleet will be parked.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Can't believe I'm reading articles talking about the US/CAN border *possibly* being considered for closing. My wife and I have been waiting almost 18 months for her green card approval and we are finally scheduled for the interview at the embassy in Montreal April 6th (the final step for approval). Really hoping I'm not separated from her and my children over this but what can you do ???

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
On a side note there were two new questions when I crossed today: Have you traveled outside of the country recently ? AND: Are you feeling any illness related symptoms ?

Thankfully I am feeling great but I kind of laughed to myself afterwards thinking who is going to answer that question honestly if they're actually feeling ill ??? I'd much rather they stuck a thermometer up to my head and everybody else.