NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 138 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Look at the end of the day it's this: People that are your general run of the mill people can have a FAR FAR FAR more likelihood of avoiding the virus than wearing an N95 mask by simply doing 3 things:
1. Avoiding public places
2. Avoid close contact with others if you do have to be in public
3. Wash your hands often and always do so before touching yourself

Those 3 alone will reduce your chances far more than an N95 mask ever will. Regardless of wearing a mask, if you don't obey those 3 rules then you're fucked. Regardless of having an N999999 mask.
Funny how everyone has this expert advice like "the mask wont help just wash your hands and distance" then you hear THe virus is in the air for 30 mins, then you hear this or that.. So when you drive your car do you just choose one saftey measure? or do you have airbags, seat belts, obey speed laws etc? Seat belts will save your life if you use them for most people so who needs airbags?

Air can also get in around the edges of the masks, particularly flat surgical masks. well the masks i own have a metal band that bends with your nose, when you breath you can tell you are breathing THRu the mask not around it, funny they mention "you could accidentally infect your self when removing the mask if not done properly" well it sounds like you woulda been infected from the AIR anyway if its on the outside of your mask duh.. i feel like the only reason they are saying not to use a mask is that they want to save them for healthcare workers. So if healthcare workers must wear a mask it obviously does work or they would not bother either DUH.. so yea it helps 5x better then not wearing a mask for surgical masks. of course this is my opinion. i agree with czroe of course its better then nothing. n95 is extra good if you fit it properly and breath threw it and not around it. honestly i have not even tried the n95's yet but have worn surgical masks for years at work.

Other countries have been wearing these masks all the time not even for virus's just for dirt in the air or pollution so its common to wear and some even think of themselves as fancy for having the mask riding on a motor scooter with no helmet ;P

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Funny how everyone has this expert advice like "the mask wont help just wash your hands and distance" then you hear THe virus is in the air for 30 mins, then you hear this or that.. So when you drive your car do you just choose one saftey measure? or do you have airbags, seat belts, obey speed laws etc? Seat belts will save your life if you use them for most people so who needs airbags?

Air can also get in around the edges of the masks, particularly flat surgical masks. well the masks i own have a metal band that bends with your nose, when you breath you can tell you are breathing THREW the mask not around it, funny they mention "you could accidentally infect your self when removing the mask if not done properly" well it sounds like you woulda been infected from the AIR anyway if its on the outside of your mask duh.. i feel like the only reason they are saying not to use a mask is that they want to save them for healthcare workers. So if healthcare workers must wear a mask it obviously does work or they would not bother either DUH.. so yea it helps 5x better then not wearing a mask for surgical masks. of course this is my opinion. i agree with czroe of course its better then nothing. n95 is extra good if you fit it properly and breath threw it and not around it. honestly i have not even tried the n95's yet but have worn surgical masks for years at work.

Other countries have been wearing these masks all the time not even for virus's just for dirt in the air or pollution so its common to wear and some even think of themselves as fancy for having the mask riding on a motor scooter with no helmet ;P
Reasonable assessment. I have N95's, figure I should start wearing them. Got them for the wildfires that have plagued the Bay Area the last 3 years or so. N99's probably better idea, but the media was all over the N95's. I tossed a couple that didn't fit right (hardware store stuff), did my homework online and bought ones that I think are a real good fit for me. 3M stuff. Some with trap door valves, some not. Not sure I trust those valves when it comes to virus spores. Smoke is another matter, of course.

Removing a mask without infecting yourself... well, wash your hands afterward. A strategy that could help if you want to reuse your masks is to quarantine them (say 9 days) before reusing. IOW, rotate them! Same with gloves. I just got a shipment of nitrile blue 8mm gloves. There is a special technique to removing them where you don't contaminate your hands, the videos are there on Youtube. I watched a couple and practiced the technique. If the gloves are just hopeless, you throw them away (e.g. covered with motor oil), but if you were just wearing them to protect against virus spore infection you could (seems to me), just stash the removed gloves for 9 days and reuse.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
This came out today, a donation of 500000 test kits to the US. So once they get shipped to the west coast or other major port or airport, then they can be driven or flown to almost anywhere in the US right? The Chinese billionaire guy is gifting them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
FYI: someone mentioned this earlier in this thread or some other, regarding making their own hand sanitizer:

this is a simple thing, but just remember to keep track of your percentages. Someone said mix IPA 50/50 with hand lotion or whatever....if you do that, you're 99% IPA is now 50% in your final solution, so no bueno.

make sure you take stock of final volume of solution based on original percentage of reagents.

M(olarity)1 * V(olume)1 = M2V2. just keep that in mind. You can also swap "percentage" for M--just keep your units straight. concentration, though (say you have something that is mg/ml) isn't a direct swap for M.

for example. you want to make 200 ml of hand sanitizer. The critical thing is keeping your IPA at 70%, minimum. you have "100%" IPA, whatever that is, and you want to make sure you end up with 70% in your sanitizer. so, you need to figure out what volume of "100%" will insure you have 70% of IPA in your final, let's say 200ml, bottle of stuff:

x(1) = 200ml(0.7)
x = 140ml

so...you need 140ml of "100%" IPA to make 200ml of a solution that contains 70% IPA. That gives you 60ml of remaining volume to play with, I would suggest a mixture of lotion (maybe J&J baby soap/shampoo and a mixture of ddH20 and a *very small amount* of SDS (like 100 ul) and a non-ionic detergent) ....or just use Dawn, lol. It's quite powerful (it already contains SDS with other non-ionic detergents, I think).

maybe 60ml = 30ml lotion/shampoo + 10ml Dawn + 20ml ddH20
If you're gonna use Dawn or shampoo you're gonna have to wash your hands anyway so why bother with the alcohol?

Why not just spray your hands with alcohol and let sit a few seconds and wipe off... or just let them air dry?

Can you wipe surfaces by spraying with 70% rubbing alcohol and wipe with a paper towel or tissue? Effectively killing all spores?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
If you're gonna use Dawn or shampoo you're gonna have to wash your hands anyway so why bother with the alcohol?

Why not just spray your hands with alcohol and let sit a few seconds and wipe off... or just let them air dry?

Can you wipe surfaces by spraying with 70% rubbing alcohol and wipe with a paper towel or tissue? Effectively killing all spores?
i like to soak my hands in the iso then light them on fire to dry them off.. prob done it 100 times :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
In regard to China look for the virus to reemerage when people come out of their homes. Micheal Osterholm, who was just on Joe Rogan is very convinced that when people start to come out of hiding and resume normal activity that the virus is going to come back, and the people who weren't infected are going to be sick. He also breifly talks about the obesity epidemic in America and how this could play out for that group as well. Great video BTW.
That 90 minute video is trying. The stray off into tangential subjects. For instance, they spend what must have been 10-15 minutes talking about the dangers of eating venison. Osterholm poo poos probiotics for a while. I'm OK with that stuff, I don't have opinions about it but goddamn, they should stay on topic here and focus on covid-19 related subjects.

It's Rogan's podcast and I guess he has a loosey goosey fanbase. Rogan is pretty damn obtuse. I watched about the first 40% of it, that's all. Osterholm had said they would get off into other covid-19 subjects later but I lost patience. TBH I don't totally trust him. I realize he's an expert, but like a lot of experts who have published books, he doesn't come off as clear eyed and objective. Take some salt with you if you're going to watch that video is my suggestion.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You're joking or what?
actually not joking, but it was only done while i was a child. now i just use hand sanitizer or wash my hands like normal humans. wonder if it would help or hurt the process of killing germs / virus's to set afire ;)

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
actually not joking, but it was only done while i was a child. now i just use hand sanitizer or wash my hands like normal humans. wonder if it would help or hurt the process of killing germs / virus's to set afire ;)
Working with bacteria and bacteriophage, we would run instruments through a flame before touching the petri dishes so fire should work fine.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Schools, movie theatres, malls, etc closed in my city too. Offices still open so gotta go to work on Monday.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Biosphere 2 has closed to the public. I bet the researchers have pulled the hole in behind themselves.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
France is closing everything except food stores and pharmacies.
So you now have Italy, France, and Spain on national lockdown. I bet many others will soon follow. I need to rethink all my short term investment thesis and adjust accordingly.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

do you want to make a substitute hand sanitizer or not? that was the point.

I mean, you could basically say the same thing in relation to any other kind of product if you wanted, it's just as relevant.

alcohol or bleach (you don't really want to be using bleach on yourself, though) + a detergent is what you want to be zapping the little beasts with if your concern is being thorough.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Goddammit - some dumbass student wasn't feeling well but came into work anyway where one of my people was working. Now she's feverish and we're waiting on the results of her test to see if I have to tell him to self quarantine.

Asshole.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I think only Penn State and Alabama and maybe Texas actually turn a net profit on their athletics expenses, in the end. Regardless, AD tends to be a completely separate entity from nearly all universities, as I understand it. ...budget wise. Expenses are their own, as are the income to pay for their ridiculous expenses. I think few of them actually break even?

It's more than just those. I don't keep track yearly but Ohio State, Michigan, Georgia, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Florida etc are typically positive - some of them substantially so. They usually pay full price for their student athletes allowing the school to offer scholarships elsewhere instead of to the athletes. Investments in infrastructure to expand/improve utilities and network frequently benefit nearby buildings that would otherwise be unable to afford them. They usually keep consessions and parking fees from the facilities directly attached to stadiums/fields but the notable expenditures elsewhere on campus go to the university. Also - being a fully self funded segment of the University is a boon anyway as many of the smaller schools at a large University are not and require subsidies to exist

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Goddammit - some dumbass student wasn't feeling well but came into work anyway where one of my people was working. Now she's feverish and we're waiting on the results of her test to see if I have to tell him to self quarantine.

Asshole.

They need to make it a crime during a pandemic where if someone who is clearly sick goes to work. Fuck sick people who go to work.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So I got up early this morning (before 8 a.m.) and went to Kroger and Super Walmart in another side of town and this was what I saw.

Kroger - it was a big mess in the front, so many stuffs in so many shopping carts near the Customer Service desk and Self Check Out area. Not sure they were returns or abandon items but there were a lot of them. At least Kroger did have some water bottles and jugs on the shelves and shipping boxes but no toilet paper and the $0.99/dozen eggs were still out. Plenty of stockers tried to restock the shelves.

Walmart - it was not as messy in the front area as Kroger but no water and not toilet paper and no dried noddles but some pastas were available. No face masks and no rubbing alcohol.

CVS - still no face masks and rubbing alcohol but I was able to find Rubinstein brand cough medicine and I was able to use the 40% off coupon on it.

What A Burger - it was not as crowd but about 40% full. The traffic was not as heavy as usual on a weekend.

I checked my storage area and found 2 quarts of 91% rubbing alcohol and 1 gallon of distilled water I purchased last week. Will keep them for sure.

Reactions: killster1

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
They need to make it a crime during a pandemic where if someone who is clearly sick goes to work. Fuck sick people who go to work.

They also need to make it the law that companies still need to pay them, I think it goes both ways. But yeah going to work sick should not be the norm and they should still get paid, and also don't require doctor letters. The last thing you want is people who are sick filling out the clinic waiting in line. Laws really need to change so that people stop feeling obligated to go to work when sick.

Tim Hortons for example is forcing people to get a letter from the doctor, so most are just showing up to work instead... and these people are serving food product. Stuff like that needs to stop. If you're sick you should be able to stay home and should get paid and not be required a doctor letter.

Some companies are better than others especially those with unions, but it needs to be across the board.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
They also need to make it the law that companies still need to pay them, I think it goes both ways. But yeah going to work sick should not be the norm and they should still get paid, and also don't require doctor letters. The last thing you want is people who are sick filling out the clinic waiting in line. Laws really need to change so that people stop feeling obligated to go to work when sick.

Tim Hortons for example is forcing people to get a letter from the doctor, so most are just showing up to work instead... and these people are serving food product. Stuff like that needs to stop. If you're sick you should be able to stay home and should get paid and not be required a doctor letter.

Some companies are better than others especially those with unions, but it needs to be across the board.
what needs to happen is whats happening at my work, they are screening people as they arrive to work for cough fever sore throat recent travel and in contact with known cases of covid19 or what ever its called. the last part was funny to me they are at least trying to keep the mess down but i think there are over 1000 workers here so.... its a little bit funny to me, they actually didnt ask me anything except if i still had rice for sale hahahah, i said i have 200 pounds left but the selling will start up again next week. (to see if i can get more first)

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

Absolutely, during Pandemics there should be a full crackdown on CEOs as well where the company is fined millions of dollars if safety measures are not put into place and enforced if the company serves and closely interacts with the general public. And after the first fine to the company, jail for the leadership group of that company. There needs to be a full stop of placing profits ahead of human welfare. It always pisses me off seeing people who to go work sick because they end up getting everyone sick, making everyone miserable. And since everyone is sick, then everyone has to come in because if everyone takes sick days, the whole place suffers. Now with Corona Virus, there is a much higher chance of death (x10 more lethan) compared to the flu.

Reactions: snoopy7548