NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
why would they even release such piss poor data. missing nearly 70% of data im guessing. so completely useless for coming to any conclusions in my opinion.
Gotta work with what you have. Sometimes incomplete data is better than nada. An example would be: for current triage considerations.

Reactions: Annisman*

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There is near-zero concern with freight and cargo.

If anything, things coming from China take so long (sometimes a month or two) that it's impossible for a live virus to still be on there. I personally would be more nervous ordering something from Italy right now - that can arrive (for me) in just a couple of days, and I guess strictly speaking the virus can survive that long on surfaces. (I guess I'd just shove the parcel in the microwave for five minutes first - that ought fix any problems, right?)

Reactions: killster1 and CZroe

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
In the past 24 hours, 428 people have died globally. That number is going to get exponentially higher every day. Soon it will be over a thousand dying every day.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Man I'm sure glad I don't live in a big city like Toronto, those lines are insane.

The TP situation is bad here too but at least the lines arn't crazy, you can still get in for other stuff. I still don't understand the TP thing. Do people think this is like a stomach flu and they will have massive diarrhea or something?

I stocked up a bit on food and other essentials myself, nothing crazy, just a bit more than I would normally buy when doing groceries. I could probably make all of this stretch for a month if I had to. I will keep doing groceries as normal throughout this time until they start to really tell people to stay home. Really I should try to always do this, never hurts to be prepared as far as food goes.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
If anything, things coming from China take so long (sometimes a month or two) that it's impossible for a live virus to still be on there. I personally would be more nervous ordering something from Italy right now - that can arrive (for me) in just a couple of days, and I guess strictly speaking the virus can survive that long on surfaces. (I guess I'd just shove the parcel in the microwave for five minutes first - that ought fix any problems, right?)
Yeah, and the longer/scarier periods are under ideal conditions. If you aren't trying to preserve the virus in transit it's extremely unlikely to survive more than a matter of hours.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There is near-zero concern with freight and cargo.

I still prefer not to chance it. It's hard to control, and it all depends on the type of conditions the packages are in throughout the journey. I would imagine when it's sitting in a cargo container at sea being hit by the sun it could reach some 30 degrees or so which is perfect breeding temperature for it to multiply fast, maybe even mutate.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
In the past 24 hours, 428 people have died globally. That number is going to get exponentially higher every day. Soon it will be over a thousand dying every day.

More than 250 a day in Italy now. Unless the Italian figures are only being updated every second day?

The government's strategy here is to just let it spread in a 'controlled' way, so as to achieve herd immunity. I don't really get how they can be sure that it won't run completely out of control - it seems as if it's teetering on the brink of that in Italy. I would spend time on feeling sorry for the Italians if it weren't for being preoccupied with the fear it may be happening here within a month. Germany, France, and Spain are also potentially heading that way.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I still prefer not to chance it. It's hard to control, and it all depends on the type of conditions the packages are in throughout the journey. I would imagine when it's sitting in a cargo container at sea being hit by the sun it could reach some 30 degrees or so which is perfect breeding temperature for it to multiply fast, maybe even mutate.
That isn't how viruses work. They require host cells to infect. They can't reproduce without infecting something. I thought we've been over this.

Anyway, they aren't even technically alive but they self-destruct in hours outside of the body just from drying out and reacting with stuff outside the target/host. You'd need to keep them them moist at an ideal temperature, perhaps even still replicating inside some ejected human cells to last any longer than typical. Unless you are getting stuff overnighted from China and licking the packages, I think you'll be alright.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That isn't how viruses work. They require host cells to infect. They can't reproduce without infecting something. I thought we've been over this.

Anyway, they aren't even technically alive but they self-destruct in hours outside of the body just from drying out and reacting with stuff outside the target/host. You'd need to keep them them moist at an ideal temperature, perhaps even still replicating inside some ejected human cells to last any longer than typical. Unless you are getting stuff overnighted from China and licking the packages, I think you'll be alright.

What about rats or other animals that might find their way in there (dead or alive)? Or just organic stuff (like blood etc). Or even just water. There are certain things in just water that can make you sick like legionaries disease etc. So what's to say this virus can't also do the same? Or has it specifically been tested not to?

Bottom line is it's better to be safe really.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Supposedly no cases in WV but Gov. Jim Justice announced all schools in West Virginia will be closed “indefinitely”. Same as KY and Ohio.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What about rats or other animals that might find their way in there (dead or alive)? Or just organic stuff (like blood etc). Or even just water. There are certain things in just water that can make you sick like legionaries disease etc. So what's to say this virus can't also do the same? Or has it specifically been tested not to?

Bottom line is it's better to be safe really.

um. because that's not how viruses work. they replicate within living cells. each reverse transcription (think of it like copying) of itself is the potential moment for mutations to occur. This only happens when they are invading host cells and hijack their own internal mitotic process. viruses spread from cell to cell when an overloaded host cell ruptures from thousands of millions of little virus babies.

it's not like it moves or "eats" anything.

A virus is nothing but a (usually extremely) short sequence of (usually) RNA, and a thin protein coat shell. Most can't survive more than a couple of minutes outside of a host (like HIV).

Legionaires disease is caused by a bacteria. bacteria (which are single cell organisms, like yeast, will replicate and colonize in a suitable environment, with a suitable food source) are not viruses.

Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Well it's from China, it sorta has to do with the virus. :p I imagine there is not much stuff moving out of there right now.

I probably would avoid Ebay, Amazon etc during these times unless you can confirm the item is not coming from China or any other infected country.
yea if you are worried just wipe it down with some Clorox what worry do you have the air inside the box is toxic?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Northam orders VA schools closed. LA and SD also to close.

DC Metro scaling back service.

Delta cutting 40% capacity. Parking hundreds of planes. Ending service to continental Europe. One of several airlines talking with government about support...

Nov 8, 2012
Government bailouts or not, I don't see how people are going to survive this. Companies can't afford to pay for a workforce while not receiving any revenue.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The picture of the guy with all the water and toilet paper in the shopping cart...taller than him and everyone else...Is it for real and not Photoshop?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Government bailouts or not, I don't see how people are going to survive this. Companies can't afford to pay for a workforce while not receiving any revenue.

Probably has to be both direct support to ordinary citizens and sector help to prop up businesses. And a yuuuuge number.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The picture of the guy with all the water and toilet paper in the shopping cart...taller than him and everyone else...Is it for real and not Photoshop?

I was at my usual grocery store yesterday and saw a lady with a cart full of TP that looked like this.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
The US isn't the only country to bar people arriving by plane. Israel, Czech Republic, Pakistan, Turkey, loads of countries either closing borders completely or stopping flights from certain countries. So glad I never got round to owning an airline, it must be a nightmare for them now. And they thought Greta was their biggest threat.