NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 129 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 8, 2012
The supermarkets were a train wreck today.
People were massing at them like crazy.

Couldn't even find parking at some hours, lines were at least 15-20min wait long.
You could also see the clerks wishing to die in how busy they were.

Felt like the precursor of armageddon.

So glad I bought mine last week. I heard the same thing happened at our stores yesterday as well.

I didn't overbuy shit like the apocalypse, but I did buy 2 large bags of fajita meat for the short term - followed by ~8 full size frozen pizzas for the long-term. Should be enough for 2 weeks easily.

• Haha
Reactions: killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think there's a pendulum with 2 extremes:

1. Not caring & writing it off as a bad flu
2. Going nuts & hoarding & listening to the non-stop fear-mongering news coverage

I think we should go to the middle, i.e. err on the side of caution. I mean, look at the CNN headlines just now:

1. "America is on hold"
2. "The US faces new norms as coronavirus outbreaks show no sign of slowing down"

How about...we've been asked to chill out from hanging out in public for a couple weeks. The virus is going to take off no matter what we do, and there is absolutely a risk of dying from it, but we can limit the impact by doing some simple self-isolation type of stuff. The world isn't going to stop - things are just going to slow down for a bit. Our economy will probably take a hit that will take a couple of years to recover, but many people can also work remotely & we have lots of great delivery services available.

What I don't appreciate is the fear-mongering the media is doing. They need to chill and be more reassuring. They know we'll get through this, but they also know that people will click on their site 57 times an hour for the latest updates & they'll get massive ad revenue for the next month by hyping the virus up. I mean, gimme a break. American isn't on hold, people are just taking the recommended precautions. The CDC says we have 1,215 confirmed cases out of 327 million people. Yes, the virus will spread. Yes, schools & businesses are closing for a couple of weeks. Yes, there will be an economic impact & a pause in normal life. The same thing happens during bad snowstorms, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

I'm just not real happy that the news media is going the fearmongering route when they could be reassuring the public instead of fanning the flames. And I do place a big part of the blame for people panic-buying on headlines like the ones below, because people see the news & then react accordingly. The media is hugely influential socially. They need to step up and do a better job.

View attachment 18107
You're not taking the broad view. This is NOT "the same thing" as storm, hurricane, earthquake slowdown/recovery. This is totally different. This is a serious pathogen problem and one we don't understand at all well yet. Here in the USA the <2000 cases you cite as a reassurance is laughable ... because the Trump administration was off playing golf in FL instead of thinking ahead and getting the ball rolling on test kit availability. You may not realize that now, but in a month you will.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
OK, I can see that point of view, no arguments here.
Managed to get a refund for an Amazon order. Ordered it before this whole thing started and it probably got stuck somewhere in transit and I didn't really want it anymore at this point anyway. It can wait. :p It was just a cam lock thing for 2 of my servers. Want to replace the locks with just a knob so I don't need to keep using a key. I might just put small magnets and just get rid of the mechanism altogether. Just need the front panel to stay in place so small magnets might work. Like fridge magnets.
still dont use that multiquote button yet muse? ;)

what does your amazon refund have to do with the virus!!!!!!!!!!!!! super cool you got a refund, amazon always refunds and credits even if you wait to long to return or what ever, never had a problem.

i think no matter what president there would have been issues, stupid usa wants to use its own tests but didnt even develop them correctly back 2 months ago? 3 months ago? wtf we doing as everyone else is saying who knows the true infected number, just like china no one knows the truth since we are not being tested on a daily basis :) (iknow daily basis sounds crazy) but you have to have fever shortness of breath had come in contact with somoene with the virus and still how and where do you get the test done. i live in nowhere's vill but we all still travel.

The most cars ive ever seen at costco yesterday, bought my ration of water even tho i already have a house filter and 50 gallons reserve, they had no toilet paper still, grabbed another 500 Tylenol since i mailed my last bottle to the family in cambodia. really wonder if my package will make it. cost 75$ and had 200$ in medical supplies inside. fedex wanted near 500$ for tracking so just crossing my fingers and sent it usps.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You're not taking the broad view. This is NOT "the same thing" as storm, hurricane, earthquake slowdown/recovery. This is totally different. This is a serious pathogen problem and one we don't understand at all well yet. Here in the USA the <2000 cases you cite as a reassurance is laughable ... because the Trump administration was off playing golf in FL instead of thinking ahead and getting the ball rolling on test kit availability. You may not realize that now, but in a month you will.
do you think trump was in charge of making the test kits? i love how people can blame one person like this is some dictatorship. its everyones fault including the companies making the test kits, why there are not 3-10 diff kits baffles me. S.korea used a super computer to design there test kits, we couldnt have bought the kits from them? wth.. CT scans work too but i guess its already hard enough to get a CT scan and super expensive with insurance :( stupid usa, wonder how canada is doing with their test kits.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
do you think trump was in charge of making the test kits? i love how people can blame one person like this is some dictatorship. its everyones fault including the companies making the test kits, why there are not 3-10 diff kits baffles me. S.korea used a super computer to design there test kits, we couldnt have bought the kits from them? wth.. CT scans work too but i guess its already hard enough to get a CT scan and super expensive with insurance :( stupid usa, wonder how canada is doing with their test kits.
It IS Trump's fault for dismantling the structures that would have dealt with a pandemic scenario effectively. And he could have appointed someone who's canny instead of his right wing honcho VP to head the response. Don't be obtuse. And NO, I am not using the "multi-quote button" whatever that is. I'm combining a lot of quotes in some of my messages but too many is absurd, so WTF.

We should absolutely have been all over the S. Koreans asking them HTF they are testing 10,000/day. Shit's gonna hit the fan here. It already has, but it's gonna get messier by the day.

Nov 8, 2012
It's definitely a good time to be Amazon.... If there is one thing people will forever be comfortable with it's home delivery of goods.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's definitely a good time to be Amazon.... If there is one thing people will forever be comfortable with it's home delivery of goods.
Oh yeah? I've got a few things "in the mail," often do. I got a box from Amazon a few days ago but won't open it for another week... enough time for the SARS-Cov-2 spores to shrivel up and die! :oops::cool:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
It IS Trump's fault for dismantling the structures that would have dealt with a pandemic scenario effectively. And he could have appointed someone who's canny instead of his right wing honcho VP to head the response. Don't be obtuse. And NO, I am not using the "multi-quote button" whatever that is. I'm combining a lot of quotes in some of my messages but too many is absurd, so WTF.

We should absolutely have been all over the S. Koreans asking them HTF they are testing 10,000/day. Shit's gonna hit the fan here. It already has, but it's gonna get messier by the day.
well i have no idea what they tried to do and didnt try to do. i know the VP is not making the tests personally but i did read they rejected WHO tests and wanted to use their own which sounded stupid.

Oh because amazon goods cant have the virus? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm i guess just leave them in the box for 9 days and you be good right?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oh yeah? I've got a few things "in the mail," often do. I got a box from Amazon a few days ago but won't open it for another week... enough time for the SARS-Cov-2 spores to shrivel up and die! :oops::cool:
Oh because amazon goods cant have the virus? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm i guess just leave them in the box for 9 days and you be good right?
Yeah, like I said.

Edit: But people, don't hang your hat on not getting infected. Pay real good attention to helping your immune system deal with SARS-CoV-2.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

"Dismantling?" Despite reports to the contrary his proposed cuts to the CDC and others did not go through. That was the kind of fake reporting he called a "hoax" when the media deliberately distorted even that to "Trump called the virus a hoax!" Ugh.

He calls the fake news fake and the fake news proves him right by reporting that he called the virus fake. It's fakeception.

It's pervasive now (saw it three times this morning) but Michael Moore was one of the earliest saying Trump called it a hoax while shamelessly perpetuating the very hoax Trump was talking about (distorting and misreporting his coronavirus response).

I dislike Trump and voted against him but this misinformation just keeps getting repeated in this "NON-POLITICAL" thread. Let's cut the BS.
well i have no idea what they tried to do and didnt try to do. i know the VP is not making the tests personally but i did read they rejected WHO tests and wanted to use their own which sounded stupid.

Some like it hot
Some like it cold
Some like it in the pot[box],
...nine days old

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Everyone is to blame.

1) The Chinese for continuing the practice of wet markets. And, for withholding valuable info in the beginning.

2) Trump for not taking COVID-19 seriously, and for underfunding The CDC. Statements like "go to work even if you're sick" or "this is no worse than the flu" don't help.

3) Local governments for again not taking this seriously, and for being reactive instead of proactive.

4) The American people. How many are prepared financially just in case this is prolonged for 3 months or longer? Do you have enough put away for an emergency like this? Can you go 6 months without work? How is your health? We need to end our reliance on the government.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Everyone is to blame.

1) The Chinese for continuing the practice of wet markets. And, for withholding valuable info in the beginning.

2) Trump for not taking COVID-19 seriously, and for underfunding The CDC. Statements like "go to work even if you're sick" or "this is no worse than the flu" don't help.

3) Local governments for again not taking this seriously, and for being reactive instead of proactive.

4) The American people. How many are prepared financially just in case this is prolonged for 3 months or longer? Do you have enough put away for an emergency like this? Can you go 6 months without work? How is your health? We need to end our reliance on the government.
Again:
Trump did not cut funding to the CDC. He proposed it. He was blocked. He accepted it. The media maliciously reported that he did cut the funding even though he didn't. He called the misreporting regarding that and the rest of his response a "hoax." Everyone started claiming he called the virus a hoax. Why aren't we facepalming this?

We all need to calm down... and, no, Trump did not tell sick people to go to work:

Reactions: MrBailey
Nov 8, 2012

Oh I'm not saying that it's safe. I'm saying most Americans probably don't even think of it. Majority probably think as long as they aren't in coughing range of others then they are safe.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Again:
Trump did not cut funding to the CDC. He proposed it. He was blocked. He accepted it. The media maliciously reported that he did cut the funding even though he didn't. He called the misreporting regarding that and the rest of his response a "hoax." Everyone started claiming he called the virus a hoax. Why aren't we facepalming this?

We all need to calm down... and, no, Trump did not tell sick people to go to work:
TDS is a pandemic.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
what does your amazon refund have to do with the virus!!!!!!!!!!!!! super cool you got a refund, amazon always refunds and credits even if you wait to long to return or what ever, never had a problem.

Well it's from China, it sorta has to do with the virus. :p I imagine there is not much stuff moving out of there right now.

I probably would avoid Ebay, Amazon etc during these times unless you can confirm the item is not coming from China or any other infected country.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Well it's from China, it sorta has to do with the virus. I imagine there is not much stuff moving out of there right now.

I probably would avoid Ebay, Amazon etc during these times unless you can confirm the item is not coming from China or any other infected country.
There is near-zero concern with freight and cargo.

Reactions: herm0016