NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 614 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Vaccines looking good:

"D.C. is now publishing data on COVID-19 infections among vaccinated individuals – and so far, it proves that vaccines have been highly effective in preventing serious illness and death from the virus.

Per the new data on “breakthrough” cases, 200 people — less than 1% — of the more than 375,000 fully vaccinated D.C. residents have contracted the virus since January. When compared to the total number of infections reported over that period, vaccinated individuals account for about 1.3% of cases. (The data included in the dashboard was last updated on July 11.)"

Reactions: balloonshark

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/del...ective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Israel says Pfizer vaccine is only 39% effective against delta variant. That's big difference between UK report that came out like day or two ago which said Pfizer was 88% effective against delta. And I remember Israel saying Pfizer was like 64% effective against delta couple weeks ago. Now that's down to 39% in Israel.

I going with Israel and their new 39% effective rate. I think that's likely more accurate. Mask up.

Reactions: Captante and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Supposedly we are all vectors including us vaxxed, I don't look to the vaccines as a way to limit spread that is just a nice benefit.
I think there's little doubt that vaccines are limiting spread. The unvaxxed are a menace to all.

Reactions: Captante

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/23/del...ective-in-israel-prevents-severe-illness.html

Israel says Pfizer vaccine is only 39% effective against delta variant. That's big difference between UK report that came out like day or two ago which said Pfizer was 88% effective against delta. And I remember Israel saying Pfizer was like 64% effective against delta couple weeks ago. Now that's down to 39% in Israel.

I going with Israel and their new 39% effective rate. I think that's likely more accurate. Mask up.

Doesn't seem this new Israeli data is published yet. Let's see. Data from the UK contradicts.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

The 88% effectiveness figure is for preventing hospitalization, 39% evidently in preventing contracting the disease.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The 88% effectiveness figure is for preventing hospitalization, 39% evidently in preventing contracting the disease.

UK study said 88% for prevention of symptomatic disease with Delta variant when fully dosed with Pfizer/BNT.

Reactions: Ajay and Muse

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

Even at 88%, that's enough to have people play it safe.

If someone says 1 out of every 10 times, you might get hit with a bullet, lightning, or a car, that'll make many quake in fear.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Even at 88%, that's enough to have people play it safe.

If someone says 1 out of every 10 times, you might get hit with a bullet, lightning, or a car, that'll make many quake in fear.

Think of all the statistically borderline-absurd things that MANY people walk around every day terrified of. (don't dwell on it or you'll get depressed)

Then picture telling those same people they have a 1-in-10 chance of dying doing ANYTHING and they'll go all out to see it banned for everyone "for the sake of the children".

Fear. Primary motivator. :confused:

Reactions: pmv

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Think of all the statistically borderline-absurd things that MANY people walk around every day terrified of. (don't dwell on it or you'll get depressed)

Then picture telling those same people they have a 1-in-10 chance of dying doing ANYTHING and they'll go all out to see it banned for everyone "for the sake of the children".

Fear. Primary motivator. :confused:
Look at how many incidents per year it took to get backup cameras mandated in all new cars...

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The sample size was puny, and many experts dismissed yesterday's report until more data is available and peer-reviewed.

Still, it's a bit of a "game changer," and at the current trajectory of community transmission, I will stop going to the gym soon. Indoor dining is also a hard pass.

Reactions: Zorba

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The sample size was puny, and many experts dismissed yesterday's report until more data is available and peer-reviewed.

Still, it's a bit of a "game changer," and at the current trajectory of community transmission, I will stop going to the gym soon. Indoor dining is also a hard pass.
I had been intending to start going to my gym again... they started charging me again around 3 months ago. But the upswing in positivity, hospitalizations, deaths, has me thinking... NO! Wait until things calm down. Might be quite a while. Meantime, I'm skating the street 9+ miles every day with a heart rate monitor on, so my cardio's better than it's been in 25 years. It's great for my core too. It's all I'm doing except every day living. I could do more, I have equipment in the house.

Haven't dined indoors since... hmm, since before the pandemic!!!

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I had been intending to start going to my gym again... they started charging me again around 3 months ago. But the upswing in positivity, hospitalizations, deaths, has me thinking... NO! Wait until things calm down. Might be quite a while. Meantime, I'm skating the street 9+ miles every day with a heart rate monitor on, so my cardio's better than it's been in 25 years. It's great for my core too. It's all I'm doing except every day living. I could do more, I have equipment in the house.

Haven't dined indoors since... hmm, since before the pandemic!!!
What skates do you use? I want to get some but don't know if a shop around here.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What skates do you use? I want to get some but don't know if a shop around here.
I skate "old fashioned" quads. My story:

I wanted to get into street skating for years and one day in a thrift store spotted a pair of used skates that fit me. I bought and started skating them and the front wheels fell off one of the skates when I was skating on the path around a lake and I was injured. Not horribly, but OMG... and I decided to get good reliable equipment and found a skate shop. I go in, it's a small shop (this is 1989) and talk to the owner who sells me a pair of Sure Grip Jogger plates (plus 70mm Kryptonics wheels, bearings, etc.), telling me he'd never seen them fail. I still skate those plates. By serendipity a guy comes in the shop while I'm buying those plates, etc. who I saw that very morning skate by my house. He had a style where he carried a pole that he'd poke on the ground, a tall muscular guy. Now, this was about 10 miles from my house, the skate shop, being in Alameda, CA. We have a long conversation and he tells me he bought basketball shoes and attached quad skate plates to them and he explained the technique. I bought basketball shoes and did the same. We became friends, sort of, me and that guy. He lived not far from me. It's over 30 years ago. I remember just one thing he said to me verbatim: "There's a rock out there with your name on it!" Well, I've skated the streets ever since. I have changed the uppers once, so on my second pair of basketball shoes.

I do all my own skate maintenance, which is pretty simple. Much simpler than bicycle maintenance, which I also do with my old road bike. I buy wheels, bearings, bushings, whatever, online. You can get all this stuff online, even basketball shoes (I ordered my current ones online).

There are a number of online sources for skates and skate parts. Informative sites and some of the source sites have info. Some good videos on Youtube on choosing skates, parts, etc. For instance, choosing wheels.

Of course, you can get put-together skates, which I didn't do, partly because my feet are extra wide. I always seem to have great luck with New Balance 11 4E, and that's what I bought in a basketball shoe. I'm having a tough time finding something like that now online, but my current uppers are OK, they are just beat up some. They aren't cheapies, they are well made, even for New Balance, which have cheaper and better. Seems like they don't make BB shoes anymore.

Edit: I never used to bicycle with a helmet unless I was going somewhere I considered dangerous, but my physical therapist admonished me and I took up regular helmet wearing around 2-3 years ago. I decided to wear the helmet when skating too. I have ALWAYS skated with gloves on. I used to wear elbow guards and wrist guards but eventually became confident enough to stop wearing those (I was even going to wear knee guards but didn't get around to that). It's really the gloves that give me confidence now, and just my 30+ years of skating. I get better all the time. I almost never fall. The gloves are essential for street skating. I rarely see skaters on the local streets. Some don't wear gloves and I figure them for stupid. Even the best street skater is apt to fall eventually, and gloves will prevent injuring your hands and allow you to fall in such a way that you aren't injured. BTDT! Many times.

Edit2: Inline skates are faster, but I'm not hankering for more speed. I really go for it on skates. My 9+ mile skate I'm basically going as fast as I can. Not an all out sprint most of the time, but I'm pushing myself. Kind of like a long distance runner, which I used to do a LOT until I was injured. Inlines wouldn't help for my fitness, they would just give me more speed, which would add to the danger, which is something I don't need. One day someone in the house had a pair of inlines that I tried and skated around the block. It was OK, but I didn't decide to get some. Besides, AFAIK, you need specialized uppers, I wouldn't be able to DIY with basketball shoes like I do with my quads. I see a lot of people skating quads around here, but not on the streets. They skate the basketball courts adjacent to my route... I pass them 10 times every day. I get the impression that they are skating for each other, showing off. They skate backwards, try different "tricks." I do that sometimes but not regularly. I'm into the fitness aspect of pushing myself on the street, these days. It's a ~1/2 mile straight with a change of elevation from one end to the other of, I figure, around 40 feet, and I go up and back 10 times. It's pretty smooth (a rarity around here) and it is designated as a "safe street" by a local program recently initiated by my town. The motorists respect that to some degree, but not all of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999

Technically I've got back *some* sense of smell. But if I had to put a % operational, it's in the 15%-25% range on any given day. My taste is also still very messed up. I'm almost 18 months out at this point and not living under any pretense of it getting better. I'm just assuming this is new normal for me and I'm part of the 4-5% that are perma fucked. :(

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Technically I've got back *some* sense of smell. But if I had to put a % operational, it's in the 15%-25% range on any given day. My taste is also still very messed up. I'm almost 18 months out at this point and not living under any pretense of it getting better. I'm just assuming this is new normal for me and I'm part of the 4-5% that are perma fucked. :(
That sucks, I forgot you had it in the first wave.

• Wow

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Just saw on the local news that the AG of Florida has the virus even she did have the vaccine earlier this year.

Florida Attorney General Tests Positive for COVID-19 – NBC 6 South Florida (nbcmiami.com)

The virus is still out in Asia. Many large cities in several countries are in locked down and a few of them have curfews after 6 p.m. local time.

Saigon goes empty and quiet as night-time restrictions take effect - VnExpress International

Almost no one on the streets, look like a Hollywood sci fi horror movie.

Đường phố Sài Gòn vắng lặng chưa từng thấy sau 18h | Báo Dân trí (dantri.com.vn)

Pfizer vaccine please.

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps: Study - CNA (channelnewsasia.com)

Last edited:

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
I wonder how prevalent the fake vaccines cards are now & will there be a surge now that NYC, Cali & VA are enforcing vaccines? And hopefully other places soon too

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It just necessitates the importance of a federal vaccination registry. Nearly all major vaccination sites are reporting back to state registries. The data is there. Just need to take it a step further.

I've helped implement vaccination clinics and most of this stuff is entirely electronic. The paper cards are just feel good records. The real data is living on county/state databases.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
So on the 19th WV had 1098 active cases. One week later on the 25th we have 1567 active cases. That's almost a 50% jump in just one weeks time. This is what happens when you have less than 50% of people fully vaccinated with almost all restrictions lifted. Hell, UPS needed a signature this week and the guy was standing at my door unmasked.

https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Stroll on over to Louisiana and check out their active case trend and square it to a 30% vaccination rate.