NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 439 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I literally watched Walmart turn people away for not wearing a mask two days ago. They were expecting to receive a freebie mask on their way in but Walmart wasn't doing that anymore.

Reactions: zinfamous and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
its all trumps fault remember? what did you get a degree in? we know you are not out for a good time you do not travel, you do not even leave the house. Do you always use condoms or play it safe and just not have sex at all :) we all make our choices. Americans have way to much freedom, and no one cares, people say they rather die then have to wear a mask for the rest their life. :) If you can blame any of it on trump then the people have no brain to think for themselves anyway and deserve what ever they get.

yes we all can achieve the same things in life some people just have to try harder. i worked 12 hour jobs when i was in school everyday, still i went to class did my homework and even had time to have A LOT of fun. we all make our choices, i also would be the first person to finish Every test in every class, so i could go home and have sex with my gf on my lunch break. (they usually gave long test times with a break following it) Some people took the full hour some are done in 10 mins.
Yes, all Trump (let me decode that for you: facetious). What's your problem, man? Why do you have a need to hurl insults? You're hurting inside. I can't help you with that.

My degree was in mathematics, after I changed from physics (which was regarded as the toughest major at the University of California at the time). I tired of physics, but math isn't really easier. What did you do, just go for the money? Seems like it.

Just because I haven't traveled much doesn't mean I don't live a good life or like a good time. You are unreasonable and insulting again. You really do come off as a complete jackass 1/2 the time, man. Nobody's asking people to wear a mask for the rest of their life, mofo. Today, now, for the time being it's the thing to do. Ask the Japanese, Taiwanese, etc. They fucking get it. They're not all spoiled brats like the Sturgis motorcycle assholes.

You have a personality problem. Deal with it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I literally watched Walmart turn people away for not wearing a mask two days ago. They were expecting to receive a freebie mask on their way in but Walmart wasn't doing that anymore.
Around here you're required to carry your own.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Around here you're required to carry your own.
It was a company-wide thing. When Walmart first started mandating masks they were handing out free masks at the door "while supplies last." I think that lasted a few days and they dried up a long time ago.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
The virus will be with us humans for a long while...like forever?

Some of the assertions don't make sense. They just say "like the flu" while ignoring how this virus doesn't behave very much like influenza at all. It has shown no tendency to reassort with other viruses to rapidly combine advantageous traits and evade the immune system. It's not influenza.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yes, all Trump (let me decode that for you: facetious). What's your problem, man? Why do you have a need to hurl insults? You're hurting inside. I can't help you with that.

My degree was in mathematics, after I changed from physics (which was regarded as the toughest major at the University of California at the time). I tired of physics, but math isn't really easier. What did you do, just go for the money? Seems like it.

Just because I haven't traveled much doesn't mean I don't live a good life or like a good time. You are unreasonable and insulting again. You really do come off as a complete jackass 1/2 the time, man. Nobody's asking people to wear a mask for the rest of their life, mofo. Today, now, for the time being it's the thing to do. Ask the Japanese, Taiwanese, etc. They fucking get it. They're not all spoiled brats like the Sturgis motorcycle assholes.

You have a personality problem. Deal with it.
;) funny, but yes 100% went to school for money! I worked 12 hours everyday while in school. Why would I go to school for fun at that point? You are the one bringing politics in as if you could blame any single person for anything on earth. Yes it was downplayed to stop panic it seems, but after the first 30,000 deaths no one got the wiser its only getting worse everyday and we only have ourselves to blame. America is to free to distance to stupid to ignorant.just look at the protests if anything spread the virus it was surely that but the numbers didn't seem to get astronomical after amd during the riots/ protests or did they? Stores around here give put free masks and people still don't use them. Sick people still go out and about coughing with masks on. I think that has more devastating effects but who knows. Im not afraid of the virus if i die i die, not like I'm trying to get it but I can't shelter in place I have a job to do

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
yes we all can achieve the same things in life some people just have to try harder.

Seriously? You don’t think there are people that have studied but still failed classes? I’ve come across people that have gotten Bs in some engineering courses and then faceplant on dynamics. And that’s not even considering that the subject could be much easier than something like math or engineering, yet they still do poorly…. Or just difference between state universities vs. higher tier universities (or even ccs) where a B or A could translate to a D or F had they taken it at the higher tiered university or cc -- that's why they scaled back some of the biggest AA, since they were basically creating artificial failures. Hell, in high school I barely put any effort, yet I did well. Others not so much. You would never see those people in college past the first semester or two if they even went. Thinking everyone could be a lawyer, engineer, etc. just if they studied is laughable.

i worked 12 hour jobs when i was in school everyday, still i went to class did my homework and even had time to have A LOT of fun. we all make our choices

Interesting. Even weekends? You took it slowly or did you graduate in four years? I’m not sure how you pulled that off with all the lab classes and clinicals in nursing and possible gaps between classes on same day, and then managing to get all those hours allotted to you from your employer(s).

, i also would be the first person to finish Every test in every class, so i could go home and have sex with my gf on my lunch break. (they usually gave long test times with a break following it) Some people took the full hour some are done in 10 mins.

Whenever I had a class not broken up into two days or one with a lab component, they still only allotted the same amount they would do in a regular lecture class. And the break would be something like 10-15 minutes before going onto lab (not necessarily from what I recall) or new lecture.

It has been awhile since I’ve been to college and not that I really paid attention to this, but I don’t think anyone finished a test that fast, even with instructors that essentially give out the exam before exam day or when test banks could be studied from online. From what I remember, it was about the half-way point when people started to turn them in. 10-15 minutes is fast. The classes that you would have taken probably had 60 or more multiple choice and a written component.

I don't even understand how people have time to party, when I was in college it was the most stressful and busiest time of my life. Especially the last year. So much studying and home work and projects etc. I was going to bed past midnight most days, and I sure as hell was not partying. Near the end I was actually having to decide what homework I don't do, because there was literally not enough time for it all, so the classes I was doing well in had to take a back seat time wise. There was one class that was less important that I used to skip just so I can catch up with stuff.

Didn't you do computer science? Did you go to low-tier university? It should be pretty obvious. There is a vast difference in how rigorous degree programs are not just based on subject matter but college/instructor (i.e. where an A or B somewhere could be equivalent to C, D, or F elsewhere). Usually low-tier state universities will make their science classes much easier by essentially giving out the test to study before examination i.e. basically just numbers changing. Higher tier will be more theoretical and pop quiz-like. Other classes could have aids such as cheat sheets being allowable or obviously just being easier content. Does it really need any explaining why a simple fact-based memorization class (in a lot of cases solely just based on lecture slides) is easier than engineering or programming?

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The WH and head of the FDA are announcing something today related to therapeutics. It's being teased relentlessly.

A number of drug trials have been running so something could have turned up positive data. Alternatively the WH could have pressured the FDA into giving an EUA for something with unclear benefits...again.

It would be nice if we didn't have to put up with this exhausting bullshit showmanship and scientists and health officials could just give us the facts as they know them when they know them.

edit: it has leaked already

This is not a major breakthrough. The benefits of plasma have been unclear but at a minimum it is not harmful. I'm personally inclined to think it's helpful from what I've read but it really depends how early people receive the treatment and what the level of neutralizing antibodies are in the plasma given (varies a lot by donor).

Last edited:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
ust look at the protests if anything spread the virus it was surely that but the numbers didn't seem to get astronomical after amd during the riots/ protests or did they?

The protests did not appear to cause any significant spikes. Cities that had huge multi day protests should have seen a big rise in positives in the following weeks but many did not. People were outside and the vast majority masked. Some governors who also rushed to reopen dangerous venues (bars highest among them) have tried to blame the protests for the explosion in cases but it's not consistent with other places that remained more restrictive.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Been waiting for these rumblings too:

If the UK/Brazil study shows definitively it is protective and without life threatening adverse effects there is an argument for an EUA and limited deployment. If it does not then there is no argument then it should wait for the US phase 3.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Seriously? You don’t think there are people that have studied but still failed classes? I’ve come across people that have gotten Bs in some engineering courses and then faceplant on dynamics. And that’s not even considering that the subject could be much easier than something like math or engineering, yet they still do poorly…. Or just difference between state universities vs. higher tier universities (or even ccs) where a B or A could translate to a D or F had they taken it at the higher tiered university or cc -- that's why they scaled back some of the biggest AA, since they were basically creating artificial failures. Hell, in high school I barely put any effort, yet I did well. Others not so much. You would never see those people in college past the first semester or two if they even went. Thinking everyone could be a lawyer, engineer, etc. just if they studied is laughable.

Interesting. Even weekends? You took it slowly or did you graduate in four years? I’m not sure how you pulled that off with all the lab classes and clinicals in nursing and possible gaps between classes on same day, and then managing to get all those hours allotted to you from your employer(s).

Whenever I had a class not broken up into two days or one with a lab component, they still only allotted the same amount they would do in a regular lecture class. And the break would be something like 10-15 minutes before going onto lab (not necessarily from what I recall) or new lecture.

It has been awhile since I’ve been to college and not that I really paid attention to this, but I don’t think anyone finished a test that fast, even with instructors that essentially give out the exam before exam day or when test banks could be studied from online. From what I remember, it was about the half-way point when people started to turn them in. 10-15 minutes is fast. The classes that you would have taken probably had 60 or more multiple choice and a written component.
yes everyone can do ALMOST everything just depends how hard they have to try (OK they studied and failed but do you think they did a good job of studying then?) , yea i took a day off here and there, i slept a few hours on the job (i was allowed), and yes i finished tests faster than anyone else as i mentioned it wasn't even close, sure 60 questions 20 seconds a question and a quick written essay took 10-15 mins for me, and some people took the entire hour struggling.

i dont know how many people would go to college with out it being for money (maybe trust fund kids? rich parents are forcing them?), even people that come to this country with a student visa are doing so to get a job and make money.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
yes everyone can do ALMOST everything just depends how hard they have to try (OK they studied and failed but do you think they did a good job of studying then?)

Why do you think it's a matter of "choice" anyway? Every trait has a genetic component. Every trait depends on your environment (how many can control their childhood?). It's dependent on environment, genes, and probably some random factor with brain development.

, yea i took a day off here and there, i slept a few hours on the job (i was allowed),

What entry level job giving overtime hours allowing that? I guess you could try to hide as security on campus during the night at a college or something, haha. Usually it's better paying jobs where you can bullshit around a little if you're at a computer, but even then that's still considering some awareness of your surroundings. I was tied even on "work study".

and yes i finished tests faster than anyone else as i mentioned it wasn't even close, sure 60 questions 20 seconds a question and a quick written essay took 10-15 mins for me, and some people took the entire hour struggling.

Yes, I read that the first time. I'm just telling you that I don't believe I've ever encountered one student who had done that. If I was the instructor, I would have thought you had that familiarity with the material either through access to the past exam or finding the test bank online.

When people get done and how they do is mixed. Not everyone who uses the whole time is actually struggling. In fact some affluent students will abuse the learning disability accommodations to do just a little bit better.

i dont know how many people would go to college with out it being for money (maybe trust fund kids? rich parents are forcing them?), even people that come to this country with a student visa are doing so to get a job and make money.

Well, considering how promising you seem to be with how fast you go through exams (I'm assuming you believe you spent enough time on it considering this is more efficient than study time) and being able to work more than full-time through nursing program, why not CRNA or pharmacy?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Why do you think it's a matter of "choice" anyway? Every trait has a genetic component. Every trait depends on your environment (how many can control their childhood?). It's dependent on environment, genes, and probably some random factor with brain development.

What entry level job giving overtime hours allowing that? I guess you could try to hide as security on campus during the night at a college or something, haha. Usually it's better paying jobs where you can bullshit around a little if you're at a computer, but even then that's still considering some awareness of your surroundings. I was tied even on "work study".

Yes, I read that the first time. I'm just telling you that I don't believe I've ever encountered one student who had done that. If I was the instructor, I would have thought you had that familiarity with the material either through access to the past exam or finding the test bank online.

When people get done and how they do is mixed. Not everyone who uses the whole time is actually struggling. In fact some affluent students will abuse the learning disability accommodations to do just a little bit better.

Well, considering how promising you seem to be with how fast you go through exams (I'm assuming you believe you spent enough time on it considering this is more efficient than study time) and being able to work more than full-time through nursing program, why not CRNA or pharmacy?
noc shift in a nursing home (was very low paying job) i wasnt required to be awake at all times just to be there, tho i did rounds and made sure everything was going ok. Yea i really did mess up and not do something more challenging but i love this job for now, maybe i will go back to be a PA sometime later, and SURE i could have done better with my tests my priority was sex with the gf, i got solid B's the people taking the whole time either not that smart or tried to get perfect 100 scores. Alot of people study the wrong things when prepping for a test, i read all the material paid attention in class (well i did txt and play on my phone but i was listening at the same time ) and showed up every day never missed anything.

yes i believe it is a matter of choice. unless you have some kind of brain impairment, we all can do the same things just some people it takes ALOT more effort. (maybe taking the class twice to get it?) ((took more time and effort right)

im thinking i would rather get infected and see what happens then take the vaccine. not sure tho, my wife says she wants the vaccine but is 1000)% healthy never has even taken a Tylenol her whole life she is worried about taking pills etc but wants the vaccine.. hmmmmmm, i do however take the flu shot every year because my job forces to me to. (if you dont then you are required to wear a mask, but now we all joke that we have to wear a mask anyway maybe no one will take it) the flu shot never has caused me any harm or sickness have taken it 7 times now?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
noc shift in a nursing home (was very low paying job) i wasnt required to be awake at all times just to be there, tho i did rounds and made sure everything was going ok. Yea i really did mess up and not do something more challenging but i love this job for now, maybe i will go back to be a PA sometime later, and SURE i could have done better with my tests my priority was sex with the gf, i got solid B's the people taking the whole time either not that smart or tried to get perfect 100 scores. Alot of people study the wrong things when prepping for a test, i read all the material paid attention in class (well i did txt and play on my phone but i was listening at the same time ) and showed up every day never missed anything.

yes i believe it is a matter of choice. unless you have some kind of brain impairment, we all can do the same things just some people it takes ALOT more effort. (maybe taking the class twice to get it?) ((took more time and effort right)

im thinking i would rather get infected and see what happens then take the vaccine. not sure tho, my wife says she wants the vaccine but is 1000)% healthy never has even taken a Tylenol her whole life she is worried about taking pills etc but wants the vaccine.. hmmmmmm, i do however take the flu shot every year because my job forces to me to. (if you dont then you are required to wear a mask, but now we all joke that we have to wear a mask anyway maybe no one will take it) the flu shot never has caused me any harm or sickness have taken it 7 times now?

Well then...

Reactions: zinfamous

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Went to the flea market today. Someone asked me to look at their Playstation 2 that was making a funny noise. When I was done I picked up "my" drink and walked away. When I sipped it I suddenly realized it was someone else's drink and I had just drank after him... my mouth on his straw.

I went back, apologized, and bought him a replacement. Guess I'll be getting another COVID test this week!

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Went to the flea market today. Someone asked me to look at their Playstation 2 that was making a funny noise. When I was done I picked up "my" drink and walked away. When I sipped it I suddenly realized it was someone else's drink and I had just drank after him... my mouth on his straw.

I went back, apologized, and bought him a replacement. Guess I'll be getting another COVID test this week!
Supposedly you must inhale the virus not drink it or we would all worry about eating out.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Supposedly you must inhale the virus not drink it or we would all worry about eating out.
Come on now. Your mouth is as much a part of your respiratory pathway as your nasal passages. It's all mucousal membrane. Of freakin' course you can get and spread it that way... EASILY. It's why we cover both with a mask.

People don't make a habit out of swapping saliva with strangers, which is why the virus' ability to spread through the air causes most infections. I was wearing a mask until I shoved the straw in my mouth which obviously undermined my use of a mask.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Come on now. Your mouth is as much a part of your respiratory pathway as your nasal passages. It's all mucousal membrane. Of freakin' course you can get and spread it that way... EASILY. It's why we cover both with a mask.

People don't make a habit out of swapping saliva with strangers, which is why the virus' ability to spread through the air causes most infections. I was wearing a mask until I shoved the straw in my mouth which obviously undermined my use of a mask.
so then you think food can be infected and give you the virus when eaten say if someone coughs on your french fries or burrito before you eat it?

i was under the impression it would not be transmitted that way, now you are saying "OF FREAKING COURSE YOU CAN GET IT THAT WAY"
then why have there been zero cases traced back to a eating establishment from food sources?

id have to say you are wrong from the research i have done

one of thousands of sites that say thgere are zero cases from food.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
so then you think food can be infected and give you the virus when eaten say if someone coughs on your french fries or burrito before you eat it?

i was under the impression it would not be transmitted that way, now you are saying "OF FREAKING COURSE YOU CAN GET IT THAT WAY"
then why have there been zero cases traced back to a eating establishment from food sources?
I heard that there hasn't been substantiated transmission by food. But that doesn't make me confident it can't and doesn't happen. How would they know?

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I heard that there hasn't been substantiated transmission by food. But that doesn't make me confident it can't and doesn't happen. How would they know?
are you joking? there has been this thing called contact tracing, if it was coming from food it would be traced back to the source of someone working in a establishment infecting peoples food. i would be pretty confident eating the virus, funny out of 20 million cases they say there have been zero reported cases from eating food infected with the virus. but yet you say "how would they know!" hahaha so funny, you guys are joking maybe.

my real world example is at my job the entire kitchen crew was infected with the virus, they cooked food for 1200 people and zero of those people became infected after eating the food handled and prepared from those infected kitchen staff. amazing right!? Now the kitchen crew infected each other no one that ate the prepared food contracted the virus.

Last edited:

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
are you joking? there has been this thing called contact tracing, if it was coming from food it would be traced back to the source of someone working in a establishment infecting peoples food. i would be pretty confident eating the virus, funny out of 20 million cases they say there have been zero reported cases from eating food infected with the virus. but yet you say "how would they know!" hahaha so funny, you guys are joking maybe.

my real world example is at my job the entire kitchen crew was infected with the virus, they cooked food for 1200 people and zero of those people became infected after eating the food handled and prepared from those infected kitchen staff. amazing right!? Now the kitchen crew infected each other no one that ate the prepared food contracted the virus.

Don't be stupid. If you ingest body fluid that is teeming with intact respiratory virus, you can certainly get infected. You can get it by rubbing your eyes or picking your nose after touching a surface with contaminated droplets.

Studies do not conclusively distinguish whether each infected person ingested the virus orally or nasally. They don't even really need to. We know better than to go licking things that other people touched. Obviously you are much more likely to get it from the air or someone coughing droplets onto you.

The point is that the virus gets into your body and replicates. This one in particular targets ACE2 receptors, which are apparently all throughout your body. Not just the lungs. Also various organs and even cells that line all the blood vessels in your body.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Muse