NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 413 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
So I have a uniqueish situation. I have Colitis and I take Humira, an immunosuppressant, I also take Lialda. The worry with this medication is that it will suppress my over active immune system too much and make me more susceptible to viruses and colds. . I have head that some of the issues with Covid is that the immune system over reacts and attacks healthy tissue. All reports and professional recommend not changing my current treatment, and I wont. I am just wondering what I can expect or if there is any information on people like me. And not just people with compromised immune systems which encompasses a lot of people and issues. Since being on Humira, I havent had a flare up and I havent gotten sick any more or less than I used to before. Which, besides a sore throat here and there, and stuffy sinuses, its been nothing. I just dont get bed ridden sick, Ive never even had the flu. I just really wish I could find some data on people with colitis and how theyve done with the virus. Or just anyone specifcally on Humira.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
The Catalina region of Spain is shutting down night live locations because spiking new cases so now the UK is imposing new restrictions/quarantine for all travelers from Spain . South Korea has 133 new cases. Israel has more new cases. This virus is everywhere and it is not going away at all.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Went to the restaurant for the first time since all of this. Have to wear a mask to go in or if you go to the bathroom, but can take it off at your table. They limit 6 per table with empty table in between. I did not like the idea of going at first but it was not really too bad. It was a small restaurant/bar so maybe like 10 tables total and only 3 were actually occupied at the time. Did not feel overly crowded and was easy to social distance. People here in general are more cautious it's not like down south where they swarm places like restaurants and beaches the minute there is even a slight mention of easing restrictions. Lot of people are just ordering stuff to go.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
113769259_10158280651905240_1079498870811395281_n.jpg

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
So I have a uniqueish situation. I have Colitis and I take Humira, an immunosuppressant, I also take Lialda. The worry with this medication is that it will suppress my over active immune system too much and make me more susceptible to viruses and colds. . I have head that some of the issues with Covid is that the immune system over reacts and attacks healthy tissue. All reports and professional recommend not changing my current treatment, and I wont. I am just wondering what I can expect or if there is any information on people like me. And not just people with compromised immune systems which encompasses a lot of people and issues. Since being on Humira, I havent had a flare up and I havent gotten sick any more or less than I used to before. Which, besides a sore throat here and there, and stuffy sinuses, its been nothing. I just dont get bed ridden sick, Ive never even had the flu. I just really wish I could find some data on people with colitis and how theyve done with the virus. Or just anyone specifcally on Humira.
Screenshot_20200726-041553_Drive.jpg

I pulled this from a lecture i watched awhile ago. There are actual trials going on studying Humira as a treatment option to prevent patients from going into severe stage III.

Blocking tnf to prevent stage 3, maybe good.

However

Blocking tnf in the virus replication phase stage 1, probably bad.

Humira's half life is about 2 weeks. It takes 4.3 half lives to clear, so you are looking at 8 weeks. Probably not feasible to stop at first signs of infection.

I wouldn't change your regimen, but staying away from people is probably a good idea.

Reactions: TheSiege

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Have you been living under a rock? Trump has been pushing opening schools since the discussion started.
...and schools were closed a long time already, which the tweet incompetently plays dumb about in order to create a contrast that doesn't actually exist. You obviously don't close schools forever whether it's snow or a pandemic and disingenuously pretending we didn't close schools at all doesn't help at all with the argument that they are pushing to reopen too early.

Duh.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
...and schools were closed a long time already, which the tweet incompetently plays dumb about in order to create a contrast that doesn't actually exist. You obviously don't close schools forever whether it's snow or a pandemic and disingenuously pretending we didn't close schools at all doesn't help at all with the argument that they are pushing to reopen too early.

Duh.
You are way over thinking this. He's poking fun at Trump trying to push for schools to open and how ridiculous it is. Nothing more.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
You are way over thinking this. He's poking fun at Trump trying to push for schools to open and how ridiculous it is. Nothing more.

He's incompetently poking fun at America and I'm pointing out the incompetence by exposing that the attempt to contrast requires a deeper understanding which ultimately undermines the point of the tweet. It would literally only make sense if we never closed schools when we clearly did.

He wanted to jab at Trump but he whiffed it and deserves no Internet points. He whiffed it so bad it isn't even worth sharing... or defending.

Returning to school prematurely does not mean we did even less than we did for snow 25 years ago. We did much more while the tweet requires us to ignore that... which is the "disingenuous" part.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
He's incompetently poking fun at America and I'm pointing out the incompetence by exposing that the attempt to contrast requires a deeper understanding which ultimately undermines the point of the tweet. It would literally only make sense if we never closed schools when we clearly did.

He wanted to jab at Trump but he whiffed it and deserves no Internet points. He whiffed it so bad it isn't even worth sharing... or defending.

Returning to school prematurely does not mean we did even less than we did for snow 25 years ago. We did much more while the tweet requires us to ignore that... which is the "disingenuous" part.
He didn't whiff.

You did.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
He didn't whiff.

You did.
Oh, he whiffed alright.

I would be EMBARRASSED to share it and people should be similarly embarrassed to defend such nonsense. It's the opposite of clever when you have to deliberately misconstrue things to make a fake contrast... the bottom of the barrel for online discourse.

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I saw this dude pulling out of a hardware store by himself in his car, windows rolled down tons of plants in passenger seat thick looking mask on face. Sigh i see tons of people doing this,you know wearing their mask alone in their car sometimes going dang near 80mph on the highway. Hey good for him for using one, but really in a car when your solo with plants right next to you. He was as safe as a june bug, i give him that.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I saw this dude pulling out of a hardware store by himself in his car, windows rolled down tons of plants in passenger seat thick looking mask on face. Sigh i see tons of people doing this,you know wearing their mask alone in their car sometimes going dang near 80mph on the highway. Hey good for him for using one, but really in a car when your solo with plants right next to you. He was as safe as a june bug, i give him that.
What if he's only going across the street and has no reason to take it off? I've been in that situation.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
The Catalina region of Spain is shutting down night live locations because spiking new cases so now the UK is imposing new restrictions/quarantine for all travelers from Spain . South Korea has 133 new cases. Israel has more new cases. This virus is everywhere and it is not going away at all.

Catalonia but yea. Don't open the bars, not sure how many times we need to learn this lesson.

Most of SK's cases are imports (people flying in or cargo ships) there is some limited local transmission but they seem to still have a good handle on it.

Israel did what we did except their first shutdown was more effective than ours. Flung everything open and boom tons of cases.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
What if he's only going across the street and has no reason to take it off? I've been in that situation.

Weird. I'm itching to take the damn thing off first opportunity. No way I'm not giving myself that breather lol
It's been uncomfortably hot up this way, I can't stand the added heat of the mask. I wear it where necessary and follow recommendations (which includes long periods for work purposes), but I need a reason to wear it, not one to take it off. ;)

Reactions: mopardude87

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Oh, he whiffed alright.

I would be EMBARRASSED to share it and people should be similarly embarrassed to defend such nonsense. It's the opposite of clever when you have to deliberately misconstrue things to make a fake contrast... the bottom of the barrel for online discourse.
Nope, you clearly missed it. It's just a quick comment about the current state of what is going on. You're over there writing a thesis on why it's wrong. You are looking way too much into a tweet.

Reactions: zinfamous

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Weird. I'm itching to take the damn thing off first opportunity. No way I'm not giving myself that breather lol
It's been uncomfortably hot up this way, I can't stand the added heat of the mask. I wear it where necessary and follow recommendations (which includes long periods for work purposes), but I need a reason to wear it, not one to take it off. ;)

This, mine comes off the second the coast is clear too. If mine becomes to much which is rare given if i go out its brief and quick more times then any, i will clear upwards of 20+ feet from someone else before i am comfortable removing it from my face momentarily. I will find a empty isle at a super market which is where this only happens at for me , get in the middle of that and get my fresh air. A few seconds of that and its back on.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Wore a mask for church service today... it sure felt good to take that off after! I don't envy nurses and other workers who have to wear them for 12+ hours straight.

I have a cloth one on order though, so hopefully that one will be more comfortable than my KN95. The KN95 is probably more effective than the cloth one though.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
some things to remember during the crisis:

The fact that anyone living in America has to turn to GoFundMe for help with health insurance absolutely disgusts me.

I think capitalism is great because it creates incentives, but it needs to be kept in check. imo the government needs to either take over healthcare or regulate it. Ask @Geekbabe about how much she loves the financial portion of the healthcare industry. It's just ridiculous the gatekeeping that happens with available healthcare from greedy companies.

Reactions: zinfamous

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Wore a mask for church service today... it sure felt good to take that off after! I don't envy nurses and other workers who have to wear them for 12+ hours straight.

I have a cloth one on order though, so hopefully that one will be more comfortable than my KN95. The KN95 is probably more effective than the cloth one though.

My friend is a nurse at a major hospital in our state & is on full-time COVID duty. The shifts are super long (I think 12 hours) & you have to go through a huge decontamination process to go home each day. I only have to wear one occasionally & have to fight the urge to complain about my glasses fogging up, no idea how they do it all day every day!

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
Oh, he whiffed alright.

I'm with purbeast on this one.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I'm with purbeast on this one.
Good for you. That puts you in the same league as the people sharing this on Facebook:
5da679607eace0666ec5c295f01df75a.jpg

...they think they look clever until they realize their premise is wrong and they look like a moron instead. Some don't ever realize and go on looking ridiculous while losing the respect of the people around them (on full display here).

Tell me: What's clever about pretending that the schools never closed and the buses never skipped a beat? Nothing. The comparison is supposed to be what's clever, but that only works when the premise is somewhat close to reality.

In reality we did exactly the opposite with unprecedented school closures. It fails to make it's own point because everyone knows we did react more strongly than we ever have for 6" of snow... unless you think we've ever canceled a school year over 6" of snow.

We've never closed schools nationwide for months over snow therefore this is an incompetent comparison for mockingly suggesting that we are taking this less seriously than we do snow... not the clever contrast it presumes itself to be. Why ANYONE would defend such a moronic joke blows my mind.