NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 412 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
"1. Don’t label or insult. "
"2. Don’t be self-righteous, condescending, or judgmental. "
"3. Don’t vilify or polarize. "
"4. Don’t use hashtags. "
"5. Don’t tell people you hope they will die. "

In other words, don't do exactly what THEY'VE been doing.
Cuz they dont like it when you treat them the same way they treat you.

Reactions: KMFJD and zinfamous

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Can we add "Stop spreading the Karen meme" to the list? Its honestly getting quite ridiculous at this point. Just stop using the name as a scapegoat already.
You must know someone named "Karen." If not, you would find the meme to be endlessly entertaining.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So anyone gained a lot of weight?

I didn't really change the exercising that I do but I still feel like I gained a couple pounds. Can only imagine what happened to people who were too afraid to go outside. Kind of ironic since obesity is a risk factor.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

I didn't really change the exercising that I do but I still feel like I gained a couple pounds. Can only imagine what happened to people who were too afraid to go outside. Kind of ironic since obesity is a risk factor.

Fortuitously I bought an exercise bike the first week of March. Turned out to be incredible timing.

I feel thicker but that's probably just some bloat form eating more carbs and drinking a little more than usual. Weight is still pretty steady within a couple pounds.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
When I refer to a vaccine lottery I'm not talking about payment. I agree the vaccine should be provided at no cost by the government to the entire population. There are going to be physical limitations on how many people you can realistically inject and the supplies/manpower to administer hundreds of millions of injections over a period of time. Supply bottlenecks on the finish-fill end and with syringes look probable. We're likely talking in the neighborhood of at least 500M injections all in since any vaccine is very likely going to be two jabs 28 days apart. The logistics are challenging.
Not to mention the possibility of having to re-vaccinate if the antibodies don't last long. Am i correct there? There's probably not much data on that yet?

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014

I gained 20 lbs since March though I lift weights, the love handles definitely increased, but most of the gain is muscle. Usually between 185-190Lbs now. Highly recommend jump ropes to keep your body weight stable.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

luckily i got really sick (non-COVID related) and lost my appetite for a while

was down about 10 pounds but now i'm sitting at around 5 down

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not to mention the possibility of having to re-vaccinate if the antibodies don't last long. Am i correct there? There's probably not much data on that yet?

There have been a few, somewhat alarmist, news stories to that end about antibody fade but apparently that’s not even unusual for some vaccines. There is still much more to learn about things like T cell involvement and how long the immune system memory will be. I strongly think we will have a few working vaccines but the duration of protection is going to be an open question until we start going down the road with them.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
There have been a few, somewhat alarmist, news stories to that end about antibody fade but apparently that’s not even unusual for some vaccines. There is still much more to learn about things like T cell involvement and how long the immune system memory will be. I strongly think we will have a few working vaccines but the duration of protection is going to be an open question until we start going down the road with them.
Saw on TV news tonight, and this was probably specific to the Pfizer vaccine that just got funded 2 billion bucks to line up 100 million doses as part of operation Warp Speed (Trump's dumb name). They figure 2 shots (staggered, they didn't say how much) and a subsequent booster a few weeks later. They just don't know yet how strong immunity will be from the vaccines and how long it will last. I think they're still doing 50-50 testing with placebos going to 1/2 the people AFAIK. I'd gladly participate if I had the opportunity. The bug scares me more than any vaccine. I wouldn't be a good candidate, I don't think, because my risk for exposure is pretty infinitesimal.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
luckily i got really sick (non-COVID related) and lost my appetite for a while

was down about 10 pounds but now i'm sitting at around 5 down
My weight hasn't varied more than a couple pounds since SIP started March 16.

I haven't gotten sick with anything. Don't see how I could unless it was food poisoning but I don't remember getting that since I was 14. I don't see how a virus could reach me the way I've been living.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
I haven't gotten sick with anything. Don't see how I could unless it was food poisoning but I don't remember getting that since I was 14. I don't see how a virus could reach me the way I've been living.

same here, i legit did not leave my apartment for a month. didn't even get the mail.

i know an older guy who got really sick for 2 weeks this summer but his COVID test was negative. they don't know what exactly it was.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002

I started fasting June 1 and I have lost ~30 pounds (or 13.6 kg).

Even after 11 days in a row (July 5 to 15), I felt like I could keep going, but I'll stick with the plan I made:

June 1 Monday
June 2 Tuesday
-
June 4 Thursday
June 5 Friday
-
-
June 8 Monday
June 9 Tuesday
June 10 Wednesday
-
June 12 Friday
June 13 Saturday
June 14 Sunday
June 15 Monday
-
-
June 18 Thursday
June 19 Friday
June 20 Saturday
June 21 Sunday
June 22 Monday
-
June 24 Wednesday
June 25 Thursday
June 26 Friday
June 27 Saturday
June 28 Sunday
June 29 Monday
June 30 Tuesday
-
-
-
-
July 5 Sunday
July 6 Monday
July 7 Tuesday
July 8 Wednesday
July 9 Thursday
July 10 Friday
July 11 Saturday
July 12 Sunday
July 13 Monday
July 14 Tuesday
July 15 Wednesday
-
July 17 Friday
July 18 Saturday
July 19 Sunday
July 20 Monday
July 21 Tuesday
July 22 Wednesday
July 23 Thursday
-
July 25 Saturday
July 26 Sunday
July 27 Monday
July 28 Tuesday
July 29 Wednesday
July 30 Thursday
July 31 Friday

• Wow
Reactions: brianmanahan

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Saw on TV news tonight, and this was probably specific to the Pfizer vaccine that just got funded 2 billion bucks to line up 100 million doses as part of operation Warp Speed (Trump's dumb name). They figure 2 shots (staggered, they didn't say how much) and a subsequent booster a few weeks later. They just don't know yet how strong immunity will be from the vaccines and how long it will last. I think they're still doing 50-50 testing with placebos going to 1/2 the people AFAIK. I'd gladly participate if I had the opportunity. The bug scares me more than any vaccine. I wouldn't be a good candidate, I don't think, because my risk for exposure is pretty infinitesimal.

AFAIK the protocol for US phase 3s is going to be two jabs 28 days apart. I think there have already been 150K volunteers for the trials starting later this month which should more than cover the 30K per vaccine candidate they need once people are screened and selected for enrollment.

Based on the phase 1 safety data I am not particularly concerned about side effects that it would dissuade me from taking any of the candidates moving to final trials. Some of the less severe and more common side effects might be uncomfortable but that's not exactly unusual for many vaccines. I remember getting the meningitis vaccine when I was a kid and that laid me out for a couple days. Reading about the long term health impacts they think COVID is causing I can deal with some fever and aches for a bit.

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Things are really accelerating. The world will be adding 300,000 cases every day very soon, and I don't expect daily deaths to stay under 10,000 for much longer.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
You must know someone named "Karen." If not, you would find the meme to be endlessly entertaining.

latest

This is ATOT....I'm sure a lot of guys here have their mouths water over Karen.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- Up about 15 pounds (filthy Amerikan here) since March. The result of a complete disruption of my daily workout routine (usually 30 minutes of weights + 30 minutes of running on a hamster wheel), my work offering to pay for daily lunches (food, my only weakness out of a thousand weaknesses) , and a general increase in drinking (although I keep it contained to the weekends).

This has been offset somewhat by a significant increase in the amount of walking/hiking I do on a daily basis. I just can't see myself ever going back to driving the short distances I did before the pandemic, it just seems crazy to me now (walk down to a friend's house, walk over to post office, walk to the park/school with kids) etc.

Unfortunately the amount of calorie intake has outpaced my calorie use = a gain in weight.

Nov 8, 2012
Like I've been saying - shit is about to get real. Job losses are turning from what was previously mostly "temporary" (furloughs essentially) and are now becoming more permanent because businesses are falling apart permanently.

1595711657096.png