NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 248 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I kinda feel bad for all of those people who are rent striking right now because their governor delayed evictions for the next few months. They're going to find out the hard way how much this is going to impact their credit scores later on. I hope that they weren't planning on buying a house a few years from now, or have any outstanding credit card or auto loan balances. Once universal default kicks in, their interest rates will double overnight.

Nov 8, 2012
I kinda feel bad for all of those people who are rent striking right now because their governor delayed evictions for the next few months. They're going to find out the hard way how much this is going to impact their credit scores later on. I hope that they weren't planning on buying a house a few years from now, or have any outstanding credit card or auto loan balances. Once universal default kicks in, their interest rates will double overnight.

Yeah, it sucks for all accounts here.

Plenty of people just like to think that the place they are renting from is owned by HUGE MEGA CORP 5000 that can sustain years of no rent, but a lot of times that just isn't the case.

At the end of the day this is all going to flow back to the banks that lent the money to the owner of the properties... It's like a nostalgia of 2009 great recession.

But yeah, anyone alive during 2009 should have learned from history... the only folks that will be bailed out are the banks.... Not paying your bills and "striking" never wins.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
If it takes 10-20min of UVC to kill a virus...How does an air filtration system flowing air through UV light for only seconds hope to kill coronavirus? Does it cycle the air repeatedly through the light for 20 min before releasing it?

Reactions: killster1

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, it sucks for all accounts here.

Plenty of people just like to think that the place they are renting from is owned by HUGE MEGA CORP 5000 that can sustain years of no rent, but a lot of times that just isn't the case.

At the end of the day this is all going to flow back to the banks that lent the money to the owner of the properties... It's like a nostalgia of 2009 great recession.

But yeah, anyone alive during 2009 should have learned from history... the only folks that will be bailed out are the banks.... Not paying your bills and "striking" never wins.
So every credit reporter and every agency has a special designation for "disaster", AW. That means the credit isn't affected during that loan because of non payment.

If creditors choose to.

Nov 8, 2012
So every credit reporter and every agency has a special designation for "disaster", AW. That means the credit isn't affected during that loan because of non payment.

If creditors choose to.

lol.

people are stupid, are you new to this?

What's a credit agency?
What's a credit report and how do i get one?
What's this 'appeal' thing you keep mentioning?

Nov 8, 2012
"Homemade masks are completely useless?"

'touche.

Except that wasn't what I said, and I was citing something else and literally said I'm no expert in this and presented it as a means to get other people's thoughts on it.

But yeah, there is no consistent science message on this. I've seen plenty of reputable articles stating that wearing simple cloth masks are of no purpose whatsoever given how small virus particles are.

Another study, of health care workers in Vietnam, found that use of cloth masks resulted in greater infection than either those wearing surgical masks or a control group, some of whom also wore surgical masks.

• Haha

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If it takes 10-20min of UVC to kill a virus...How does an air filtration system flowing air through UV light for only seconds hope to kill coronavirus? Does it cycle the air repeatedly through the light for 20 min before releasing it?

I was thinking about this too when I looked into UV-C. It seems to me it's only really useful in a room setting where you turn it on for a while and leave. It also generates a bit of O3 which also helps.

Which brings me to another thing, if you want to decontaminate a room and nobody can be inside anyway, you may as well use an O3 generator as I think it will be more effective as the O3 will get everywhere. With light it needs to be moved around to cover all surfaces due to shadows.

I wonder if there are actual scientific studies on which method is better, the UV-C light DOES work with enough exposure and it will catch anything airborne too, and from my understanding some hospitals have "robots" they use, which is basically a giant light on wheels that can move around a room. So since it's automated the shadows are less of an issue.

Actually funny thing about the term robot, I used to work in a hospital and some people refereed to COW (computer on wheels - basically a cart with a laptop on it) as robots, always thought that was funny.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
L.A. County (and the surrounding SoCal) is FAR from out of the woods.
My nephew is an M.D. in San Diego. He emailed me 2 days ago, said the "surge" is expected to hit in "one or two weeks."

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm saying people are too stupid to know their rights if something were to happen to their credit.
That I understood. IOW, they don't have more than a vague concept of what their "credit" represents. You might want to reword that, I think. Some of those people aren't exactly "stupid," they just don't think in those terms.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Now HEPA-rated vacuum cleaner bags are close to impossible to find, these can be cut and sewn into highly effective face masks, a you-tube vid shows how, that is if you can find a HEPA bag to cut it from. Jesus, I hope preparation H isn't next, I'd hate to have a 'roid-rage with nothing to turn to.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That I understood. IOW, they don't have more than a vague concept of what their "credit" represents. You might want to reword that, I think. Some of those people aren't exactly "stupid," they just don't think in those terms.
It's like your social score in China but this is America so all we care about is your money.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Actually, within the last year or so I bought a package of vacuum cleaner bags online for my very old stand-up push vacuum cleaner. I suppose I could make masks from those. No way they're HEPA, though. At least I doubt it...

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Corona beer stops making beers temporarily -

Good, i think it tastes like fucking shit anyways! Now if Coke went down, oh hell its on like donkey kong! I wanted a Double Double from INN N OUT today but there was only drive through and like 30 cars ahead of me no joke. Opted out and had dinner at home. Saw lines for the first time all over the major stores, people all huddled outside like its some damn huddle on a football field. Not exactly stopping much of anything standing back to back for half a mile round the damn store and of course people keep bringing their kids....

• Wow
Reactions: Muse

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011

Because it is not designed to kill what is flying past it at several hundred feet per minute. The light kills whatever is living on the coils or filter media. It will never kill all of it but it will kill a shit load more than no UV light.

To be fair these are primarily designed to kill bacteria and mold growing inside HVAC equipment. Killing other stuff that is just passing through is a bonus.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trevor Noah interviews Bill Gates a couple days ago. I like Noah, he's smart, witty and really does his homework. IMO, his daily (or whatever) updates are well worth checking out.

• Haha
Nov 8, 2012
Trevor Noah interviews Bill Gates a couple days ago. I like Noah, he's smart, witty and really does his homework. IMO, his daily (or whatever) updates are well worth checking out.

He absolutely positively ruined the daily show from a very watchable show into a cringe-worthy show of zero laughs.

The show ratings hasn't recovered and will never recover until they actually put someone up that has any sort of real character.

The closest you can get anymore is Jon Oliver

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Something smells rotten in Denmark. Um, I mean China. They have reported officially something like 3000 deaths. Now they order 200,000 body bags? I presume those have nothing to do with the probably hundreds of thousands of cremated Chinese during the initial Wuhan outbreak. I said it before... I think the actual death toll in China is in 7 figures.

The Chinese rulers know full well that the world will condemn them roundly for having blown the chance to quell the epidemic in the early stages. So, they decided that misinformation is the only way to respond. They will never stop lying about this.

Yea. I don't even for one second believe that they had 3k deaths. More like 300k and counting. I lived in South Korea for a few years, and I can tell you that people in Asia don't like losing face. China has a lot to lose if they atually admitted what happened. Wet markets are still supossedly still open in China. How stupid is that?

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Good, i think it tastes like fucking shit anyways! Now if Coke went down, oh hell its on like donkey kong! I wanted a Double Double from INN N OUT today but there was only drive through and like 30 cars ahead of me no joke. Opted out and had dinner at home. Saw lines for the first time all over the major stores, people all huddled outside like its some damn huddle on a football field. Not exactly stopping much of anything standing back to back for half a mile round the damn store and of course people keep bringing their kids....
I mostly use the Chick-fil-A mobile app + curbside. No way I'm getting in line for the drive-thru.

I always used the app before all this, but I would always go inside to pick up my order and eat in the dining area.

There is no In-n-Out in my area. Do they have a mobile app?

• Haha

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Here is a very good documentary on the 1918 Spanish flu. It shows why we got it so bad. Basiaclly, a lot of ignorance. Like having the Liberty Loan Parade in Philadelphia ignoring the advice of experts. Or, the people who were living in Philly slums. People would bunk with strangers, and even share beds. When someone went to work their shift, another person would come back to that same apartment from their shift, and hop into the same bed that the other person had just occupied. The bed was still warm. Anyway, there are some very real similarities between our current pandemic. and what happened in 1918. We don't have the poverty that they had, and we aren't at war. But, the ignorance is still there. Maybe it's to a lesser extent today, but it's still there.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I went to Kroger a few times and all of the regular/cheap orange juice bottles/jugs are gone. None, nada, zip. There were only a handful of expensive OJ left on the shelves.

The prices of chicken and eggs were higher too. No meat on sale since the virus hit the US a few weeks ago.

I saw a story about how a lot of foods and supplies are stuck in the pipeline of distribution because shortage of drivers. It could be worse if this virus mess gets longer and more workers in the grocery stores, distribution (drivers and warehouse workers and processing employees) get sick.

Estimation of worldwide economic cost from this virus is $4.1 Trillion USD and climbing.

Last edited: