NON_POLITICAL China Coronavirus THREAD

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I think the contention (at least with me anyhow) is that this already had an applicable name, there was no specific confusion about where it originated from, and the only reason that can be deduced for using the affix is to create a scapegoat. In addition, it wasn't the medical community that came up with 'Chinese Coronavirus', it was GOP congresscritters and our president.
Because the medical community dragged their feet coming up with a usable name that distinguishes it from "coronavirus"

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Because the medical community dragged their feet coming up with a usable name that distinguishes it from "coronavirus"
It was unnecessary to distinguish it prior to the medical community coming up with a name, everyone knew what you were talking about.

99% of the world population has probably never even heard of the name 'coronavirus' prior to this outbreak, despite its existence.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I think it's obvious that the mortality will drop drastically as you spread out the curve. I think it's also intuitively obvious that the overall infection rate will drop as well.
Yes, but I'm saying that the mortality rate would drop even with the same total of infected individuals. The point is to show the difference ammortizing the same number of infections over time can make and yet some may not even realize that the two lumps represent the same number of cases. A smaller lump can be misinterpreted as fewer cases.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
It was unnecessary to distinguish it prior to the medical community coming up with a name, everyone knew what you were talking about.

99% of the world population has probably never even heard of the name 'coronavirus' prior to this outbreak, despite its existence.
Disagree.

The origin and location of the outbreak were even more important during the initial stages.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sorry, was there confusion about the origin and outbreak that necessitated the naming convention?
They were initially descriptive/distinguishing references that were later used as names... that's generally how language works for naming new things and it was no different for viruses... until now.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sorry, was there confusion about the origin and outbreak that necessitated the naming convention?
...also: Of course. If I was flying into Wuhan in a matter of days I think I'd want to know where the outbreak was happening. My brother was flying all over SE Asia at the time (December and January). Didn't get back until Feb 17th.

It was probably the single most important detail. Let's not kid ourselves.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
You have a partial point, but I remain of the opinion that the conservative figures calling it that term _now_ are doing so for conscious political reasons (not racism, but an element of insular nationalism - which can in turn give rise to racism).

I note Trump in his broadcast referred to the virus as "a foreign virus" - as if it would be fine if only it were an all-American virus. Seems obvious to me what is going on with such terminology.

Also - most of the examples being given refer to the virus _in China_. Or refer to the Chinese 'outbreak'. The first outbreak was Chinese, it was a Chinese crisis or problem at the start, the virus itself has no nationality.
This is a disgusting way to view the world.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It's a lie to give viruses a nationality. It doesn't have a passport. Not having being aware that there's such a story being spread in China (something I can absolutely believe is happening) I can accept that the US use of 'Chinese virus' could be a response to that, thus making it more understandable. But neither is 'the truth'
It has a fucking geographical origin.

Stop being disingenuous.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
That guy is a hero for all I'm concerned. He got the ball rolling on a snowball of closures that should have began weeks ago.
Well, they are saying a teammate was infected too and it could be through him so I'ma hold off on calling him a "hero" for a little bit.

H T C

Nov 7, 2018
Again, that's only one theory regarding the origin of Spanish Flu. The other prevailing theory was that it arrived with Chinese workers transported around to dig trenches for World War I:
According to the below video, Spanish Flu originated in the US. However, because of the war going on and to avoid morale drop, they kept quite about it and it eventually spread around the word when US sent troops to Europe.

It was 1st reported by Spanish press, who were neutral in WW1, and that's why it's called Spanish flu.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
According to the below video, Spanish Flu originated in the US. However, because of the war going on and to avoid morale drop, they kept quite about it and it eventually spread around the word when US sent troops to Europe.

It was 1st reported by Spanish press, who were neutral in WW1, and that's why it's called Spanish flu.
There are two main theories about the origin. The Chinese theory is one. The USA theory is another. Both acknowledge that it was unfairly associated with Spain due to the press in other countries keeping it quiet for troop morale during World War I. The video series I linked to which you are replying to even says that.

They made an update video regarding SARS-CoV-2 where they acknowledge that there are two theories and discuss why they chose to depict that one:

FWIW, the writer is in Hong Kong.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001

The reason we don't know for sure if it came from China or not is because the person who had collected samples of a disease from the mountains there was attacked and his samples were destroyed over 100 years ago.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
I know it problem won't happen but I wish they temporary banned church service and gatherings in the US. In South Korea, there was another cluster of big cases. And again it was from church service gathering. It was different church than the crazy cult that started it all but this church didn't listen and follow instructions about mass gathering. With today's technology, they can easily stream the weekly service on Youtube or some other platform. They can even take donation offerings over Paypal or something. Religion and churches will be the death of us all.

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
William Hung changed his name is now a Coronavirus physician

ZUoe5EkR_400x400.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I know it problem won't happen but I wish they temporary banned church service and gatherings in the US. In South Korea, there was another cluster of big cases. And again it was from church service gathering. It was different church than the crazy cult that started it all but this church didn't listen and follow instructions about mass gathering. With today's technology, they can easily stream the weekly service on Youtube or some other platform. They can even take donation offerings over Paypal or something. Religion and churches will be the death of us all.

yeah but you can't rub each other in oil remotely.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006