Question No Power to Motherboard.. Seeking Help!

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
Hi

Thanks for dropping by and trying to help a new fellow member here.

I have come across a weird problem. So here it goes:

My PC Build:
i5 12400
MSI B660m a pro wifi ddr4
G.Skill Ripjaws V 8gb x 2 3600mhz
Deepcool AK400
Deepcool dq750 M2VL PSU
Deepcool Mattrexx 55 4f Mesh

All parts are new and hence within warranty. So i finish building my PC and the PC ran well for a week or so untill 1 day when I tried to turn it on and nothing happened. No power to anything. No fans spinning.. nothing happening in the system.. Upon some diagnosis and trying to jumpstart PSU, i realised the PSU has failed. Gave it for RMA. Received a new pc after a week. All excited to get back into my PC and installed the PSU. But again nothing. No Power. Upon checking the PSU, its dead again.

Now I am completely stuck here with PSU's blown twice right after the other and I do not know what is causing this.

Any direction/help will be nice

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
How did you diagnose the PSU as dead? In detail...

Did you test with it not connected to the system, jumpering the PS-On wire to ground? With certain faults it may need unplugged from mains AC or switched off at the rear for a few minutes to reset.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I would get a PSU tester for ~$20 and check the cabling.

If it's still not powering on then it might be the MOBO or items plugged into it causing a fault.

It's a bit odd to work for a week though and then nothing. PSU's tend to either work or not though this is why they have lenient warranties for replacement. I've run into a DOA PSU before but, since have used EVGA 850's and they're built like a tank. 10 year warranty as well.

Obviously check:
Power connections both ends
CPU
RAM
FANS
Any PCI cards

Still not working then it's potentially the MOBO itself that went to crap on you.

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
How did you diagnose the PSU as dead? In detail...

Did you test with it not connected to the system, jumpering the PS-On wire to ground? With certain faults it may need unplugged from mains AC or switched off at the rear for a few minutes to reset.
I checked it by trying to jumpstart with paperclip when my pc did not boot up.. upon taking to service centre, the person checked it n confirmed it was dead

Last edited:

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
I would get a PSU tester for ~$20 and check the cabling.

If it's still not powering on then it might be the MOBO or items plugged into it causing a fault.

It's a bit odd to work for a week though and then nothing. PSU's tend to either work or not though this is why they have lenient warranties for replacement. I've run into a DOA PSU before but, since have used EVGA 850's and they're built like a tank. 10 year warranty as well.

Obviously check:
Power connections both ends
CPU
RAM
FANS
Any PCI cards

Still not working then it's potentially the MOBO itself that went to crap on you.
I double checked all the cables n everything seemed connected well..

I was speculating on the motherboard but it's only 2 weeks old n why would it just give up is what I don't understand..

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I was speculating on the motherboard but it's only 2 weeks old n why would it just give up is what I didn't understand..
I haven't heard of much issues with MSI lately but, there are issues with others like Asus / Gigabyte that caused from recalls. One of them had reversed polarity capacitor that cause it to fry and the other had another issue that doesn't come to mind at the moment.

If you're still in the return window then it might be worth considering and go with a different board.

Personally I've bene using ASRock for the last few builds / upgrades and have yet to run into an issue with them. Currently using a Steel Legend but also used Pro4 on a different build. I did use a MSI Pro Carbon and didn't have issues with that either.

Sometimes it's just luck of the draw on whether things work as expected.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I checked it by trying to jumpstart with paperclip when my pc did not boot up.. upon taking to service centre, the person checked it n confirmed it was dead

Update: i purchased a multimeter today to rule out voltage/earthing issues and found it in order with no problems in either
That wasn't in enough detail. Did you disconnect it from everything, including fans, drives, video card, etc, not just unplug the mobo connector to jumper it for the test?

Did you not test the new replacement PSU until after it failed to boot the system, and then did not unplug it from mains AC (or flip the rear switch) for a few minutes before trying the jumper test?

A bad board or other component, should not kill two PSU in a row in this short a time span. You could have received two bad PSU in a row to start with, but the odds seem very low. Was the new replacement sealed in the box, or is it possible that they just returned to you, the very same PSU that you returned?

How could you use a multimeter to rule out "voltage" issues if the PSU is dead so not producing voltage? More detailed replies are needed, not add a little at a time to clarify but instead, all at once, a thorough, complete description of each situation.

I can appreciate if that seems like a lot of typing if you only have a phone to use, but it does not work well to leave people guessing what is going on and losing interest in the topic.

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
No return window.. i will see what Deepcool has to say about the PSU since i got in touch with someone senior in the service centre to help me diagnose the problem after he checks the PSU.. hope he actually tries to help n not just claim that he would do so

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
That wasn't in enough detail. Did you disconnect it from everything, including fans, drives, video card, etc, not just unplug the mobo connector to jumper it for the test?

Did you not test the new replacement PSU until after it failed to boot the system, and then did not unplug it from mains AC (or flip the rear switch) for a few minutes before trying the jumper test?

A bad board or other component, should not kill two PSU in a row in this short a time span. You could have received two bad PSU in a row to start with, but the odds seem very low. Was the new replacement sealed in the box, or is it possible that they just returned to you, the very same PSU that you returned?

How could you use a multimeter to rule out "voltage" issues if the PSU is dead so not producing voltage? More detailed replies are needed, not add a little at a time to clarify but instead, all at once, a thorough, complete description of each situation.

I can appreciate if that seems like a lot of typing if you only have a phone to use, but it does not work well to leave people guessing what is going on and losing interest in the topic.
Ok in detail

1st time with psu 1 - I tried to jumpstart the psu with nothing plugged into my system.. only power socket was connected to the psu n that's all. The fan never spinned.. tried multiple times doing this as I have never done it before n was following YouTube but nothing happened.

2nd time with psu 2 - got RMA pc sealed unit. I straight away installed in my system as I did not even think that i would get into another issue or probably same issue again. So i checked the psu again like step 1 unplugging everything but the power socket cable n nothing and yes I tried the test multiple times giving it some gap like 5 mins leaving it unplugged even from the wall power outlet.

The RMA PSU was a sealed box.

I used the multimeter today on the wall power outlet where I usually connect my PC to check the voltage and earthing. I did not check the psu with it as i already gave for RMA again.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
From that review:

With higher quality FETs and a stronger boost diode in the APFC converter, this power supply would be equally good, if not better, than its competitors. This is not the case, though, and despite the ten-year warranty that DeepCool provides, we are not sure if it will manage to outlive it, especially if you are not gentle with it.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Warranty length should probably correlate to the durability of the product.

EVGA and others offer 10 year warranties on select models. If these were blowing up and not working every few years they would lose money on replacements. 10 years is more than enough to outlast 2-3 builds or more if you're upgrading every couple of cycles. An extra $20 or so for a decent warrantied PSU makes sense if you don't want downtime or deal with RMA issues every couple of years.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
The linked review was just being picky, I mean it doesn't serve as any kind of evidence that it should die in a week powering only what is listed as the system specs, nor be DOA.

Deathpill, are you located in an area subject to brownouts or bad AC mains power? Maybe it was just a bad batch of PSU and you'd have better luck trying a different brand.

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
The linked review was just being picky, I mean it doesn't serve as any kind of evidence that it should die in a week powering only what is listed as the system specs, nor be DOA.

Deathpill, are you located in an area subject to brownouts or bad AC mains power? Maybe it was just a bad batch of PSU and you'd have better luck trying a different brand.

Am located in a metro city with no/very rare power issues. Power has been stable.

My mind is just pretty messed up with this issue. Thinking of purchasing another psu but it will just be a waste of money as am saving up for my GPU purchase

Jul 27, 2020
On the bright side, if your 3rd PSU does work, the GPU should give it a good workout and that should establish its quality/durability once and for all. You just need to buy the GPU within the warranty period of the PSU.

DeathPill

May 18, 2022
On the bright side, if your 3rd PSU does work, the GPU should give it a good workout and that should establish its quality/durability once and for all. You just need to buy the GPU within the warranty period of the PSU.
Hahaha.. yes right!

Warranty for the PSU is more than 9.5years currently. So buying GPU within warranty is not an issue

Last edited:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You could use a multimeter to check for very low ohms between each of the power rails and ground, but this should not kill that (or any decent quality) PSU, rather just trigger a protection circuit and the PSU would still pass a test with nothing connected, or some minimum load if the PSU spec sheet, specifies a certain minimum load.