Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: franguinho
totally agree... nintendo is quickly falling behind... gamecube sucked, the games don't look as good on it and way too many mario parties... looks like once again for the next gen console war it will be Sony > MS > Nintendo...
i like how PS3 is still backwards compatible... awesome! i wish xbox 360 did the same thing that alone would make wanna me buy it...
360 will be able emulate certain "hit" XBox games.

Nobody really knows what this means yet. Does that mean they'll support Halo and KOTOR but ignore Bruce Lee and Kabuki Warriors? Or is this just their way of saying they are going to try to support all games but a couple probably won't make it just like some obscure PS1 games couldn't be played on the PS2?

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: franguinho

totally agree... nintendo is quickly falling behind... gamecube sucked, the games don't look as good on it and way too many mario parties... looks like once again for the next gen console war it will be Sony > MS > Nintendo...
i like how PS3 is still backwards compatible... awesome! i wish xbox 360 did the same thing that alone would make wanna me buy it...

Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube has better graphics than any console game I've played, regardless of system.

Games that come out on all 3 systems tend to go in terms of graphics quality Gamecube or Xbox at top, then PS2 a little behind. All 3 can do roughly the same thing, just depends on how the developers use the system.

But to say "gamecube sucked" is simply inaccurate or ignorant of what the Gamecube can do.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Queasy
Considering where MS was coming from and who it had as competition and the market shifts it forced, it was wildly successful. Even if it did come in at a distance 2nd in overall console sales.

And from what I've read, they've only posted about a 1.8 billion loss per year on the XBox. Huge success there.

Microsoft said from the start that the first Xbox wasn't going to make a profit for MS. They said their goal was serious market penetration and they had a huge mound of money sitting in the bank for just that.

They have been extremely successful as far as reaching that goal is concerned. They went from being a nobody in the console market to a major player. When the Xbox first came out I heard people saying they'd never get one because it was from MS and it wasn't going to go anywhere anyway. After people saw that it was a quality system and that Microsoft was here to stay, they began to take it seriously.

I expect the Xbox2 to be a tremendous success for them.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
This could be bad...bloggers are reporting Nintendo overbooked the event and the fire marshal is getting pissed. LOL.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
I thought the Dreamcast turned out to be a better performer than expected. I remember when it came out, the specs for the PS2 dwarfed the specs for the DC. But play Soul Caliber and tell me that the DC is weak.

CptObvious

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2004
I think Nintendo might actually be making a smart move by going with a less powerful system. While Sony and MS are probably going to price their systems at $300-400, Nintendo could reach the budget-conscious market with a $200 console (just guessing at a price).

Plus, the majority of consumers don't have HDTVs and won't for a few years. Heck, people are still buying RF adapters to connect their XBoxes and PS2's to their crummy TVs. A lot of that processing power to game in HD is just wasted for a lot of consumers.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Another thing people seem to forget....look at who is making the hardware for the Revolution. ATI and IBM. Do you honestly think they would get hardware substantially slower than Xbox 360's?

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
mmmmm, I love this time of year. And this year it's like a bajillion times better with Star Wars in 2 days :D

Although I'm not as lucky as my friend who's there now. bah.

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Originally posted by: CptObvious
I think Nintendo might actually be making a smart move by going with a less powerful system. While Sony and MS are probably going to price their systems at $300-400, Nintendo could reach the budget-conscious market with a $200 console (just guessing at a price).

Plus, the majority of consumers don't have HDTVs and won't for a few years. Heck, people are still buying RF adapters to connect their XBoxes and PS2's to their crummy TVs. A lot of that processing power to game in HD is just wasted for a lot of consumers.

A very wise post all-around.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
Another thing people seem to forget....look at who is making the hardware for the Revolution. ATI and IBM. Do you honestly think they would get hardware substantially slower than Xbox 360's?

Well, it does depend on how much Nintendo is willing to spend on hardware costs.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: SouthPaW1227
Originally posted by: CptObvious

A very wise post all-around.

Of course, this is the same angle Nintendo seems to be going for with the GC. They aggressively reduced the price a while back (a couple times, I think), and they are supposedly removing the component output on the next hardware revision.

But that leaves diehard Nintendo fans like me with a problem: How can I support a company who doesn't support my gaming habits? I like HD. And I really, really want to see Nintendo hit one out of the park the next time around.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Deeko

Well, it does depend on how much Nintendo is willing to spend on hardware costs.

I'm not saying they're gonna be using the same chips, but considering its being released LATER, I can't forsee it beinga horribly slower console, considering what I said above.

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
But that leaves diehard Nintendo fans like me with a problem: How can I support a company who doesn't support my gaming habits? I like HD. And I really, really want to see Nintendo hit one out of the park the next time around.

In all honesty, I don't think Nintendo cares. You're a small part of the pie (hey, I'm right there with you man). They're gonna go for the biggest market share they can; they can't and won't please everyone.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Is Nintendo finally wising up and using non-proprietary CD/DVD media?

I think that is partially why GC didn't end up doing as good as it did.
Parents see that the competition consoles can double as a DVD player and can skip on buying a dedicated DVD player for the kids' room and bought a PS2/XBOX instead.

The Mario franchise is not doing so well either.
Mario Sunshine, Luigi's Mansion were flops. Absolutely nothing like the classics (Mario64).
Kart was decent... too many Mario Party's.
Was Mario Tennis and Golf ever released?

And for those who say graphics don't mean anything, you're totally off base.
Graphics is one of the main determining factors on well a console does, right up there with games/gameply IMO.
Gameplay is important as well, but why do we always look forward to the next console?
Because we hope the graphics will be even more realistic and stunning.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Yes Mario Tennis was released, dunno about golf, I think so?

Yes graphics are important to an extent, but lets not forget that the least powerful current console sold the most.

MarkW

Sep 12, 2001
You guys DO know that there is a next button on the ign page? they havea much bigger pic than that crappy thumbnail...