Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
No, it's not a repost... nobody on here cares what Nintendo puts out, and therefore would not post the stats of the successor to a system they weren't buying.

Otaking

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2000
I'm a Nintendo fan (not really a "fanboi" per se, as I own all the systems and love them unconditionally), and I loved many of the games they put out for GC. Many of the Mario games (Kart, Party, Tennis, Golf, SSBM, Warioware) brought us reasons for getting drunk, and everybody (even my wife) had fun playing those games.

As long as Nintendo puts out fun games, I will always buy from them. Ikaruga, anyone?

Jun 18, 2000
Pretty unfortunate if the performance estimates are true. People buy electronics because they are cool and/or popular. Any technology deemed "obsolete" will not sell. Teenagers will buy what their friends have.

edit: When is Nintendo's conference supposed to begin?

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001
yeah i'm a GC fan too, and i'm not ashamed to admit it!! The games are just plain old FUN. Getting 4 people together with bongos to play Donkey Konga is a blast.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Donkey Konga! :)

I also enjoy the Mario Party series, Super Monkey Ball and others. They are just such good 4 player games, which is great when you have another couple over for an evening.

You have very valid points, but - what other than graphics/hardware can people talk about, when a console has just been announced but is still a year or more away from actual availability?
They should talk about the quality of games that will be released.
Gameplay > graphics.

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
Originally posted by: Kenazo
Donkey Konga! :)

I also enjoy the Mario Party series, Super Monkey Ball and others. They are just such good 4 player games, which is great when you have another couple over for an evening.

woo! more Donkey Konga nuts! It's the only game I can get my g/f to play, and she will play for hours!!

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Doesn't matter which one is more powerful. I am 90% sure I will be getting the Revolution for next generation console. My oldest son will be 7 and he loves Nintendo games. Besides, most games for younger kids suck on PS2 and Xbox and it will probably continue to be the same on PS3 and XBox 360.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Anubis
god you people really piss me off sometimes

IT DOESNT FVCKING MATTER how poerverfull these things are on paper,

so what if the xbox 2 and ps3 are 20x more powerfull, if they only get used to 10% of their potential its also a waste

everyone bitched about the GC, and the GC IMO was pretty damn awsome on all fronts, even the funky controller worked

and jeasus christ people graphicicial power is NOT the be all and end all of a game/gameing machine,

if a game looks amazing and plays like sh!t then the game = SH!T
I really love how most of you "gamesr" stopped caring about the gameplay/story and other non graphicial elements when it comes to a game

fact is that games that are almost 10 years old that came out on the SNES, which by todays standards lool like they were drawn by a retarted monkey are actually MORE fun to play then just about anything out today

It had to be said, but unfortunatly the points will be missed. There are people that actually believe there arn't any good games for GC or PS2. There are people that actually believe that 35x stat.

StevenYoo

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2001
as long as nintendo keeps pumping out the awesome Zelda and Metroid games, they'll be fine.

they really do need more popular licenses, but zelda and metroid will keep them afloat

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: StevenYoo
as long as nintendo keeps pumping out the awesome Zelda and Metroid games, they'll be fine.

they really do need more popular licenses, but zelda and metroid will keep them afloat

and the party games.

GC absolutely RULES in party games. Me and friends scream at each other in laughter while playing super monkey ball2, mario party x, and super smash bros.

no other console gave us so many noise complaints than that damn GC ahahahha

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
You guys are idiots. Why do you buy into all the 2-3x and 15-35x sh!t? Does anyone remember when this generation came out? Sony and MS stated all these theoretical numbers, like 500 trillion polys/sec, nintendo posted real numbers that were substantially less, and it ended up right up there in performance.

We'll see, the week as just begun.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I'm mostly curious how the back library downloads will go. Essentially that means there has to be a hard drive for one thing. Also, perhaps the "revolution" is that downloading older games will be free. I think that would be ingenious. They aren't making any money off the old games, but people are downloading roms like crazy to play old SNES, NES and GB games. They could get a huge install base by selling the Revolution and offering the games for free. A crazy concept, but it might be what Nintendo needs to do to catch up. Even if they're cheap or go by a monthly fee it would be great!

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
is it just me or does it sound like the nintendo revolution sounds less of a revolution and more of the same. After reading the USATODAY article..the parts where the guy talks about th enew system it pretty much says it will be easier to program because its more of the same.

Maybe that in itself is the revolution...that they arnt changing everything for once...but i was thinking more of big change from nintendo.

Jun 14, 2003
meh nintendo arent really aiming to play with the big boys i dont think, i read it somewhere. they realise they cant produce something like the PS3/Xbox360 which to be fair are absolute cinematic monsters.

theyre aiming for something different all together i believe. the group of gamers (probably young) that dont care for intense life like graphics.

after readin the PS3 article, that has pretty much sorted me out. im buying a PS3

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: werk
I'm mostly curious how the back library downloads will go. Essentially that means there has to be a hard drive for one thing. Also, perhaps the "revolution" is that downloading older games will be free. I think that would be ingenious. They aren't making any money off the old games, but people are downloading roms like crazy to play old SNES, NES and GB games. They could get a huge install base by selling the Revolution and offering the games for free. A crazy concept, but it might be what Nintendo needs to do to catch up. Even if they're cheap or go by a monthly fee it would be great!

You sir...

Have a great idea

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
meh nintendo arent really aiming to play with the big boys i dont think, i read it somewhere. they realise they cant produce something like the PS3/Xbox360 which to be fair are absolute cinematic monsters.

theyre aiming for something different all together i believe. the group of gamers (probably young) that dont care for intense life like graphics.

after readin the PS3 article, that has pretty much sorted me out. im buying a PS3

Yeah i know its early but i still dont see how PS3 can lose. Yes i know xbox will come out a year early but I really dont think that will make a diffrence. Dreamcast came out before the sony system and they got destroyed. Without halo coming out right away, it will be interesting to see what their launch game will be.

After looking at the PS3 reviews if the PS3 stays with or above the XBOX in features, games, graphics, and advertsing there is no way they can lose. Besdies...they still will have the entire japanese market to fall back on.

royaldank

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: RadioHead84
After looking at the PS3 reviews if the PS3 stays with or above the XBOX in features, games, graphics, and advertsing there is no way they can lose. Besdies...they still will have the entire japanese market to fall back on.

I think that depends on features. MS is obviously focusing on the gamer and the online community. Sony seems to not be as interested in this and not ready to devote all their time to an full blown online strategy. If power doesn't necessarily make a winner, then something like this can make the system more "fun" and appealing to gamers. Graphics on screen will be fairly similar, I would guess.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: royaldank
Originally posted by: RadioHead84

I think that depends on features. MS is obviously focusing on the gamer and the online community. Sony seems to not be as interested in this and not ready to devote all their time to an full blown online strategy. If power doesn't necessarily make a winner, then something like this can make the system more "fun" and appealing to gamers. Graphics on screen will be fairly similar, I would guess.

I really dont think that sony isnt thinking about their gamers. I havent read enough about the PS3 to know what their online stuff will be like but i am betting you they will have it. Besides....I remember when the first xbox came out and watched movies of the producers talking about how "its the system made for you", "we listen to you" and all that crap..and there was so many things wrong with the damn thing....

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Deeko
You guys are idiots. Why do you buy into all the 2-3x and 15-35x sh!t? Does anyone remember when this generation came out? Sony and MS stated all these theoretical numbers, like 500 trillion polys/sec, nintendo posted real numbers that were substantially less, and it ended up right up there in performance.

We'll see, the week as just begun.

I was thinking the same thing. Nintendo always seems to post more "real" numbers.