Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Leper Messiah

Banned
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001
Originally posted by: chrisms
I don't think Nintendo's console will be a success. A lot of this is about product recognition, and after the N64 and Gamecube I think Nintendo is looked at as a loser. Microsoft has a chance this round to be #1, especially because they seem to have a one year head start on Sony and an aggressive marketing strategy.

With that said, that pic sucks. But the console doesn't look bad.

I agree. Being first to market, even with (likely) lesser hardware, will help quite a bit as far as marketshare for Microsoft. Last time it was the other way around, PS2 was a full year ahead of Xbox, and PS2 can probably be said to be the "winning" console for that round, if such a thing exists. However, it was Microsoft's first entry into the market, and by that measure was wildly successful. This time, it's not too far-fetched to think it might be reversed....(especially with the seemingly limitless cash Microsoft has to burn)

In any case, the videos from the PS3 thing today look freaking amazing. In fact, the hardware for both units is looking quite awesome. I've never owned a console before, but if there are any "killer apps" for either console, I may just end up buying one (or both!).

Edit: That is, if I have any money left from doing a major upgrade on my computer later this year. :p

xbox wildly sucessful, how? the PS1 was sony's first console, and it pwned everything in its path. Look at what happened to sega, releasing earlier than everyone else. They got so pwn3d, they stopped making systems all together...

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
THere's two possibilities:
A) That guy doesn't know what he's talking about. The state of the art as of right now is more than twice as fast as the Gamecube, and I doubt they would launch something slower than current tech in a year.
B) Nintendo is slowly going the way of Sega. Say what you want, graphics can and do sell games. Look at how many people wet themselves and declared that they would be buying a PS3 based on the Killzone video.

I'll wait till they release something more concrete, but if they launch this at the same time as the PS3 they will get massacred. They'll probably be undercutting both the 360 and the PS3 significantly on price, though.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: L3p3rM355i4h
I don't think Nintendo's console will be a success. A lot of this is about product recognition, and after the N64 and Gamecube I think Nintendo is looked at as a loser. Microsoft has a chance this round to be #1, especially because they seem to have a one year head start on Sony and an aggressive marketing strategy.

I agree. Being first to market, even with (likely) lesser hardware, will help quite a bit as far as marketshare for Microsoft. Last time it was the other way around, PS2 was a full year ahead of Xbox, and PS2 can probably be said to be the "winning" console for that round, if such a thing exists. However, it was Microsoft's first entry into the market, and by that measure was wildly successful. This time, it's not too far-fetched to think it might be reversed....(especially with the seemingly limitless cash Microsoft has to burn)

In any case, the videos from the PS3 thing today look freaking amazing. In fact, the hardware for both units is looking quite awesome. I've never owned a console before, but if there are any "killer apps" for either console, I may just end up buying one (or both!).

Edit: That is, if I have any money left from doing a major upgrade on my computer later this year. :p

xbox wildly sucessful, how? the PS1 was sony's first console, and it pwned everything in its path. Look at what happened to sega, releasing earlier than everyone else. They got so pwn3d, they stopped making systems all together...

lol i agree....wouldnt use the world pwn3d..but sure...

Headlines of USATODAY recaping the console war after its all over "XBOX PWN3D, PS3 SUPER L337!" lol that would be hilarious

Mar 19, 2003

I should have added an "IMO" to my statements, but I just think it's impressive that a newcomer to the market had the success that they did, even if it was Microsoft. :p (And I never said PS1 wasn't really successful too, I was just talking about the 2000/2001 generation of consoles).

I highly doubt that Microsoft will fall flat on their face like Sega did :p

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004

I should have added an "IMO" to my statements, but I just think it's impressive that a newcomer to the market had the success that they did, even if it was Microsoft. :p (And I never said PS1 wasn't really successful too, I was just talking about the 2000/2001 generation of consoles).

I highly doubt that Microsoft will fall flat on their face like Sega did :p

No i don tthink the will either..mostly for the reason that nintendo and sega dont do anything but make games. Microsoft and Sony...obviously dont need to make money right away..or really ever off their systems to stay in business.

By the way..anyone have a killzone video link?

Leper Messiah

Banned
Dec 13, 2004
the l337 creeps up on me sometimes. I can't help it. I mean look at my SN! Yeah, it would be funny if USA today got hacked, and all the headlines were changed into l33t...

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Considering where MS was coming from and who it had as competition and the market shifts it forced, it was wildly successful. Even if it did come in at a distance 2nd in overall console sales.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Remember how big the damned thing is. Not very. That CD is actual size, and the hight is about 1" supposedly.
Miniscule, probably (hopefully) not hugely expensive, easily portable = win in many ways.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
I think Nintendo could easily realize great sales if they keep the Revolution under $200 and aim market for the under 14 crowd. If Nintendo doesn't market this thing to a different audience than Sony and Microsoft, then they are screwed.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo
Remember how big the damned thing is. Not very. That CD is actual size, and the hight is about 1" supposedly.
Miniscule, probably (hopefully) not hugely expensive, easily portable = win in many ways.
Check out the big pic. It's basically the same size as a mac mini with an inch or so more depth. Looks slimmer, too.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko
You guys are idiots. Why do you buy into all the 2-3x and 15-35x sh!t? Does anyone remember when this generation came out? Sony and MS stated all these theoretical numbers, like 500 trillion polys/sec, nintendo posted real numbers that were substantially less, and it ended up right up there in performance.

We'll see, the week as just begun.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: sleepmachine

only 2 to 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube seems pretty underwhelming. They've got a tough act to follow after Sony's showing.

searched Nintendo and Revolution and the PS3 threads. hope its not a repost. its 3am i'm tired

Yeah, that's pretty bad considering that the Gamecube wasn't nearly as powerful as the Xbox to begin with. This Revolution will only be as powerful as the first Xbox.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

only 2 to 3 times more powerful than the Gamecube seems pretty underwhelming. They've got a tough act to follow after Sony's showing.

searched Nintendo and Revolution and the PS3 threads. hope its not a repost. its 3am i'm tired

Yeah, that's pretty bad considering that the Gamecube wasn't nearly as powerful as the Xbox to begin with. This Revolution will only be as powerful as the first Xbox.

pff you dont know that..no one does..this is all just talk.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
Considering where MS was coming from and who it had as competition and the market shifts it forced, it was wildly successful. Even if it did come in at a distance 2nd in overall console sales.

And from what I've read, they've only posted about a 1.8 billion loss per year on the XBox. Huge success there.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Queasy

And from what I've read, they've only posted about a 1.8 billion loss per year on the XBox. Huge success there.

It wasn't about making money in the first generation as they said from the beginning. It was about getting into the console arena and getting into the consumer's head. Which worked since I used to hear people and media refer to nothing but the Playstation as sort of a ubiquitous term for a game console and now I hear Xbox used that way as well.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
fcuking brilliant, nintendo. absolutely fcuking brilliant.

i bet this btich launches for $150 with an assload of games downloadable for free just for the sole purpose shitting all over sony. how many people still bust out their copies of ff7 to play it? none. how many people still dust off the old nes to play smb or zelda? an assload. if nintendo can pull off a good controller (like they've been saying) and develop a few 'hella' fun franchises for this btich, then they're going to eat up a nice new chunk of market.

if they're smart, this machine will hatefcuk the other two.

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
^ that was bordering on unreadable.

Does the official PR start at 12 noon EST? Let's get some details then!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: pcnerd37
I have been a fan of nintendo for over 15 years and i am very dissapointed with this. I thought the GC was crap, and thier sales proved it. I think this new console could be a huge blow to the company, and will probably have to rely on their Mario franchise to stay in business.

i agree with this guy. i love nitendo to death and mario and zelda and all that crap, but i will admit i was GREATLY disappointed w/the cube. I have owned 2 of them and have sold them both at different points, and i do not intend on getting another one at all.

Alex

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
pic
some details
E3 2005: Revolution Details Emerge
Two-to-three more times powerful than GameCube.
by Matt Casamassina

May 17, 2005 - New details regarding Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, have started to sprinkle onto the Internet. The machine, which will be revealed during Nintendo's pre-E3 2005 show on Tuesday morning in Los Angeles, will sport a slick, black design and a front blue light.

Revolution will be "two-to-three times more powerful than GameCube," according to Nintendo, which also acknowledges that the next-generation race isn't solely about new technologies. By contrast, Microsoft's Xbox 360 console is 13-15 times more powerful than the first, according to the publisher. And Sony says it's PlayStation 3 is roughly 35 times more powerful than PlayStation 2.

Nintendo also revealed that using Revolution's new Wi-Fi connection, gamers would be able to go online to a free gamer-matching service. Interestingly, in a move similar to Microsoft's Xbox Live Arcade service, Revolution users will be able to download classic and new Nintendo games over the Internet. Nintendo cited such examples as Donkey Kong and Super Mario Sunshine, which suggests that Revolutionaries could have access to games for all the publisher's previous consoles.

searched Nintendo and Revolution and the PS3 threads. hope its not a repost. its 3am i'm tired :p

totally agree... nintendo is quickly falling behind... gamecube sucked, the games don't look as good on it and way too many mario parties... looks like once again for the next gen console war it will be Sony > MS > Nintendo...
i like how PS3 is still backwards compatible... awesome! i wish xbox 360 did the same thing that alone would make wanna me buy it...

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: franguinho
totally agree... nintendo is quickly falling behind... gamecube sucked, the games don't look as good on it and way too many mario parties... looks like once again for the next gen console war it will be Sony > MS > Nintendo...
i like how PS3 is still backwards compatible... awesome! i wish xbox 360 did the same thing that alone would make wanna me buy it...
360 will be able emulate certain "hit" XBox games.
Gamecube's graphics are excellent, have you played RE4 or MP1 or 2? Have hou seen the screens for the new Zelda game?

SouthPaW1227

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2004
i wish xbox 360 did the same thing that alone would make wanna me buy it...

This gets me everytime. Backwards compatibility is so retarded. I know TONS of people who own PS2s, and not a single one of them EVER go back and play a PSX game. I mean it's really a borderline useless feature.

First off, when the new stuff hits you aren't gonna wanna play last year's stuff. Second, if it's THAT important and you love your Xbox 1 games THAT MUCH, then just keep the Xbox around, no big deal.