Nintendo Revolution revealed on cube.ign.com

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
This kind of reminds me of the last big three company battle that has absolutely nothing at all to do with electronics... Wal-Mart vs. K-Mart vs. Target. Target is thriving because they made sure to differentiate themselves from both Wal-Mart and K-Mart while K-Mart met it's doom by basically trying to go toe to toe with Wal-Mart. Good luck with that, right?

I love this move by Nintendo. If they pull it off correctly they will have a console that launches at about half the price of the others while also boasting some of the most important/best titles in all of gaming potentially available for download.

I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
I think that in the end Nintendo will survive the next round and one of the two giants will fall.

If Nintendo doesn't fall, I don't think any of the three will fall. Nintendo is in the weakest position coming off of this current-gen and doesn't have the broad financial backing that the Playstation and Xbox has. It would literally take Sony or MS as a whole taking a stupendous financial hit for the Playstation or Xbox to fall.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
Originally posted by: SouthPaW1227
But that leaves diehard Nintendo fans like me with a problem: How can I support a company who doesn't support my gaming habits? I like HD. And I really, really want to see Nintendo hit one out of the park the next time around.

In all honesty, I don't think Nintendo cares. You're a small part of the pie (hey, I'm right there with you man). They're gonna go for the biggest market share they can; they can't and won't please everyone.

But, instead of relying on cost cutting to remain attractive to the bargain crowd, they could also appeal to the broadest market possible, and that includes people with HD sets, of which there will be more by the time the next round of consoles is released.

I agree with you, though -- market share is important. But I think as a company in the business of making money, making a profit is more important. Right now, Nintendo doesn't have a huge slice of the market, especially not the teen and 18-35 markets, but they're making profits. Of course, by appealing to a wider spectrum of gamers, they can increase their coverage, which will make their system(s) more attractive for developers, which will help to bring a broader selection of titles to the system(s), which will appeal to a wider spectrum of gamers. So I agree that they need to think about how many GCs/GBAs/DSs/Revolutions they have in homes. I think this will become increasingly important with Sony now taking a bite out of their handheld dominance.

And you can't forget about the psychology behind the way people buy. Right now, a lot of the young male demographic equates anything Nintendo with "kiddy", and are either uninterested in buying or too embarrassed as a 15-year-old with an image to uphold to buy. Think about it -- as soon as the PSP became an option people started a reprise of the same chorus saying Nintendo is for children. And it does make a difference. And while you and I and a handful of others realize that gaming coolness is an oxymoron, unfortunately we are, again, a the minority within the burgeoning young male videogame market.

I dunno. Just my $0.02.

Ikonomi

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2003
BTW, the Revolution system itself looks sick. Like a GC that got extruded or something. :p

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
dammit, I want to see the controller now!!

Can't be worse than the Sony Boomerang or original microsoft bear claw.

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Ikonomi
BTW, the Revolution system itself looks sick. Like a GC that got extruded or something. :p

they said that it is still a concept design, but the final will be even smaller

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel1113
I think Nintendo could easily realize great sales if they keep the Revolution under $200 and aim market for the under 14 crowd. If Nintendo doesn't market this thing to a different audience than Sony and Microsoft, then they are screwed.

I'd say this sums it up nicely. I think it's too late for Nintendo to capture much market share in the adult-games arena - MS and Sony have exclusive rights to a lot of the best franchises, and when Nintendo execs are ALREADY saying "this generation isn't about who has the best technology," they've effectively conceded defeat a year before their product even reaches market.

Nintendo has great franchises that happen to largely cater to a younger crowd. It only makes sense for them to intelligently exploit that, rather than trying to compete against Sony and MS, with inferior hardware, in a market segment in which they haven't had success in years.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: eelw
Fully backward compatible with NES, SNES, N64 and GC!!!!!!!
Doubtful, more likely backward compatible with GC and capable of emulating the three others. I don't think we'll be seeing 3 different cartridge slots on the Revolution

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Doubtful, more likely backward compatible with GC and capable of emulating the three others. I don't think we'll be seeing 3 different cartridge slots on the Revolution
Downloading the old roms.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

They've said GC. Nothing beyond that.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Queasy

No, they said everything he listed.

Chadder007

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Good, at least they are considering costs to the consumer when they made it. Looks pretty slick. :)

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Damn, 140 million copies of Pokemon games sold. No wonder Nintendo milks this franchise.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: Queasy

No, they said everything he listed.

It's downloadable content to access the old NES, etc games.