NFL - Are you fed up?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: Haui
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Nice thing is that they now have a commish with a backbone that is actually laying down meaningful fines and suspensions. No ticky tack slaps on the wrists.

Half and full season suspensions for a couple players this year for conduct.

The "spying" incident resulted in $750,000 in fines plus a loss of potential draft picks.

This guy means business.

When the F1 McLaren team is fined $100 million and stripped of all of the points they have for cheating, $750k is nothing.....seeing as the NFL is worth 100x as much as F1 racing. Each NFL team is worth around $750 million - $1.5 billion. A team like the Pats should be fined more, the coach should be fired.....and all fans should boo the Pat's (and players) for all knowing this shit was going on. How long was it going on.....was it going on when the Pat's won the Super Bowls?

In the scheme of "cheating" what the Pat's did barely registered a blip. It's not like they got caught with a mole inside of the Jet's training facility. They didn't mug Mangini and steal his playbook in a dark alley. They were taping the signal caller. Something that could be seen by anyone on the other sideline. They just recorded it.

It's against the rules, but it's not like it's a serious lopsided advantage.

This was the singled largest fine ever handed down by the NFL and the lost of draft picks could be huge.

But you really don't care about my thoughts.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
Nice thing is that they now have a commish with a backbone that is actually laying down meaningful fines and suspensions. No ticky tack slaps on the wrists.

The "spying" incident resulted in $750,000 in fines plus a loss of potential draft picks.

This guy means business.

When the F1 McLaren team is fined $100 million and stripped of all of the points they have for cheating, $750k is nothing.....seeing as the NFL is worth 100x as much as F1 racing. Each NFL team is worth around $750 million - $1.5 billion. A team like the Pats should be fined more, the coach should be fired.....and all fans should boo the Pat's (and players) for all knowing this shit was going on. How long was it going on.....was it going on when the Pat's won the Super Bowls?

Only someone who doesn't know anything about football or the NFL would think like you.

Don't be so egocentric. Only someone as short sighted as you would think like you.

The Pats fine was not intended to dissuade other teams from cheating - it was intended to make people think that the NFL doesn't allow or condone cheating.

The fine to McLaren was intended to dissuade other teams from cheating since the consequences are so severe.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Garet Jax

This guy means business.

Only someone who doesn't know anything about football or the NFL would think like you.

Don't be so egocentric. Only someone as short sighted as you would think like you.

The Pats fine was not intended to dissuade other teams from cheating - it was intended to make people think that the NFL doesn't allow or condone cheating.

The fine to McLaren was intended to dissuade other teams from cheating since the consequences are so severe.

Fuckhead....I played football...high school and college as a QB....doesnt question my football abilities.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
In the scheme of "cheating" what the Pat's did barely registered a blip. It's not like they got caught with a mole inside of the Jet's training facility. They didn't mug Mangini and steal his playbook in a dark alley. They were taping the signal caller. Something that could be seen by anyone on the other sideline.

It's against the rules, but it's not like it's a serious lopsided advantage.

This was the singled largest fine ever handed down by the NFL and the lost of draft picks could be huge.

But you really don't care about my thoughts.

The money is nothing to the Pats.

The draft pick is probably going to mean very little since the Pats have traded for higher round picks already and they are likely to go deep into the playoffs so their pick will be very late in the 1st round.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000

This guy means business.

Fuckhead....I played football...high school and college as a QB....doesnt question my football abilities.

Dude - I am agreeing with you.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007

This guy means business.

Dude - I am agreeing with you.

Dude....I know....lol

I was talking to vi_edit

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
As long as they keep playing on Sundays, I don't give a shit about all the extra-curricular activities. I'm more interested in the injury reports than any of that other crap.

Must be filling your pockets....
Nope, I just don't really pay attention to all that other crap. Why should I? The only effect it has is some of it may influence who shows up to play on Sunday, and that I'll pay attention to, just as I do the injury reports. Other than that, I just don't care about it. None of these guys are my role models, so why should I care what they do? I care about teams, not about individuals, at least not about individuals any more than what they can bring to a team.

As for the Pats so-called "cheating" thing, that's a team situation but I recognize the fact that coaches will prepare themselves and the team anyway they can, and sometimes they will cross the line. When they do, then they need to be smacked back into line, which is exactly what happened.

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
As long as they keep playing on Sundays, I don't give a shit about all the extra-curricular activities. I'm more interested in the injury reports than any of that other crap.

Nope, I just don't really pay attention to all that other crap. Why should I? The only effect it has is some of it may influence who shows up to play on Sunday, and that I'll pay attention to, just as I do the injury reports. Other than that, I just don't care about it. None of these guys are my role models, so why should I care what they do? I care about teams, not about individuals, at least not about individuals any more than what they can bring to a team.

As for the Pats so-called "cheating" thing, that's a team situation but I recognize the fact that coaches will prepare themselves and the team anyway they can, and sometimes they will cross the line. When they do, then they need to be smacked back into line, which is exactly what happened.

No they were slapped on the wrist like a 3 year old....and told they are "Bad....that was bad"

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: ScottFern
the good things that go on in the NFL never gets played on the news ...

Football is a violent gladiator sport and there is nothing wrong with that.

/Tim Allen grunt. Arrrrr.

ScottFern

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Can someone please let a mod know that the OP won't stop PMing me and calling me a fucktard over and over. Looks like someone is having a roid rage. lol

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: jhayx7
Jesus christ, OP needs to lay off the roids...

Lol.....no roids.......just tired of ignorant fucks that never played a sport in their life....

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Originally posted by: ScottFern
Can someone please let a mod know that the OP won't stop PMing me and calling me a fucktard over and over. Looks like someone is having a roid rage. lol

Let's see....you told me to go KILL myself over PM.......so stop whining...

ScottFern Go away.

ScottFern Yup, any knife or rope to hang yourself will due. bub bye now!

ScottFern Go fucking end yourself. Your just pissed your thread sucks and no one agrees with you. To be hones

dsity

Jan 5, 2005
felonies are overrated.

not many give felons 2nd chances.

but that's beside the point. there's just as much good in the NFL as there is bad.

The Media controls what is shown to the people. Think of it this way.

Michael Vick dog fighting scandal=10 million readers, or Payton M helping out little kids at school=1 million readers.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Yea....but how can you compare stupidity in the NHL to cheating and felonies of the NFL?

This is where I disagree with you.

There are at least 3 stick/assault incidents in the NHL that come to mind:

Marty McSorley
Chris Simon
Todd Bertuzzi

Haui

Feb 18, 2007
Yea....but how can you compare stupidity in the NHL to cheating and felonies of the NFL?

Marty McSorley
Chris Simon
Todd Bertuzzi

These were on the ice, were all handled well...and were NOT felonies, cheating, or killing dogs..

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000

Marty McSorley
Chris Simon
Todd Bertuzzi

These were on the ice, were all handled well...and were NOT felonies, cheating, or killing dogs..

Haui,

Bertuzzi broke a man's neck and ended a young career. Simon and McSorley were lucky they didn't do more damage.

I can't sweep these under the rug like that.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001

No they were slapped on the wrist like a 3 year old....and told they are "Bad....that was bad"
Well, seeing as how what they did is equivalent to a willful 3 year old misbehaving, the punishment was appropriate.

It's not as if play signals are not in full public view. The NFL just doesn't want them video recorded so they can be studied later. And believe me, I hate the Pats. I'm a Raiders fan still bitter about the tuck rule game, but people are making this Pats cheating thing way bigger than what it actually is.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Football is worthless. Grow a brain and do something more productive.

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
...but people are making this Pats cheating thing way bigger than what it actually is.

You don't know that - you don't know that the pats haven't been doing this for years and, consequently, have been able to study everyone of their opponent's game plans/plays/audibles for the last decade.

My bet is that this isn't an isolated incident and they have been doing it for years.