New 2016 Ghostbusters trailer is here

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
ywLvQao.gif

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It's not too much of a surprise that I didn't care much for it. I don't really like Melissa McCarthy and/or Kristin Wiig movies. McCarthy has this sort of bumbling moron/gross-out style of comedy, but it just isn't done well. Wiig's entire style of comedy is just saying things in a deadpan, slow manner. It's kind of like British humor, which is usually hit or miss with me.

What stuck out as a different in comedic style is the scene with the slime. In this movie, you have the gross-out style, so you have this Nickelodeon slime-spewing scene. In the original, Venkman gets slimed, which you don't see happen, but you get to listen to Stantz gleam about the first recorded sliming and Venkman's sarcastic response to it.

I'll probably just keep an eye on the reviews when it comes out to see what people think overall.

You are wrong about the first 15 seconds. The reason? They start off with '30 years ago 4 men saved New York'

Actually, they said "Four scientists saved New York". What's amusing is what you said is actually correct in regard to the movies. The problem is that Winston Zeddemore is not a scientist, so it was 3 scientists and a guy.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
It doesn't look terrible, but..

That opening with "four scientists." Really? Only one of the original Ghostbusters was something of an actual scientist and engineer. This trailer seems to make all three of the original members into science/engineering geniuses. And the original add-on, Winston, was a working class everyman stiff who just wanted a job. Not someone loaded with street smarts who is super enthusiastic to help.

Seems like they really boosted everyone's capabilities and status and that's a shame because part of the charm and fun of the original Ghostbusters was that it was made up of largely flawed eccentrics who stumbled into being right about the paranormal (with Venkman even using it mainly as a con) and who are in over their heads but end up being the heroes anyway.

This is probably going to end up like Star Wars where a bunch of people say that these characters are too capable/accomplished and end up getting misogynists for it.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003

That opening with "four scientists." Really? Only one of the original Ghostbusters was something of an actual scientist and engineer. This trailer seems to make all three of the original members into science/engineering geniuses. And the original add-on, Winston, was a working class everyman stiff who just wanted a job. Not someone loaded with street smarts who is super enthusiastic to help.

Seems like they really boosted everyone's capabilities and status and that's a shame because part of the charm and fun of the original Ghostbusters was that it was made up of largely flawed eccentrics who stumbled into being right about the paranormal (with Venkman even using it mainly as a con) and who are in over their heads but end up being the heroes anyway.

This is probably going to end up like Star Wars where a bunch of people say that these characters are too capable/accomplished and end up getting misogynists for it.

I'd say if they're acknowledging the original in the film, the enthusiasm would be acceptable, since they know it isn't just a con like Venkman was using it originally. That is, being 10 and seeing ghostbusters and going "OMFG I want to be one of them!"

It could work, but I just see them rehashing too much of the original instead of letting it stand on its own.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
I'd say if they're acknowledging the original in the film, the enthusiasm would be acceptable, since they know it isn't just a con like Venkman was using it originally. That is, being 10 and seeing ghostbusters and going "OMFG I want to be one of them!"

It could work, but I just see them rehashing too much of the original instead of letting it stand on its own.

This is another thing they're doing awkwardly that's really confusing people..

They've stated multiple times that the film is a reboot and not a sequel, so the original Ghostbuster team didn't exist.

Now with this trailer it looks like they are actually referencing the original franchise, but they're actually directing the references to the viewer and not in the literal context of the new film's universe.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Is it really Sony's fault that shitty remakes work? What's the incentive to do good movies when we're in the information age, where 100's of reviews are a single click away, where crappy movies can instantly be recognized and avoided and where they become box office hits anyway? The last Transformers movie was utter shit, everyone knew it was utter shit and the reviews panned it as not even being suitable for retarded children and it still did a fucking billion dollars worldwide. This movie is going to suck and it's going to get panned and it's going to do at least $250 million domestic and $500 million worldwide on name recognition alone and a sequel will go into production a week after it opens at #1. It doesn't have to be good. Hell, why waste the time and energy going for quality when you can take a shit on a franchise, wrap it up, throw it at everyone and make a fortune anyway?

You don't understand. You see, the actors wanted to reprise their roles and wrote a real sequel years ago but Sony shot it down. After they gave up and lent their voice/screenplay to a video game instead and some untimely deaths ruined the chances for a movie, Sony suddenly changed their mind and gives us this gimmicky crap. They waited until it was guaranteed sh*t to green light another sequel.

Screw you, Sony.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Look at the ratio of likes vs dislikes on the trailer.

Some Hollywood exec who sold Sony on the idea of a "new", "edgy" take on ghostbusters is probably hanging himself right now.

With a reaction to a trailer that bad, I don't see how it will get good box office opening numbers. Execs don't care what the metacritic rating is, but they do care about whether it makes its investment back. With $154m spent and a terrible trailer that more people hated than not, its going to be difficult to break even, let alone make a profit.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Robocop ✓

Total Recall ✓

Ghostbusters ✓

Back to the Future ?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

All 3 of the original guys were scientists working for the school. Don't you remember Peter saying "back off man, I'm a scientist" to the guy he kept shocking in his first scene?

Winston definitely wasn't though, and it probably would have been funnier if they said: "Three scientists... And one guy who just needed a steady paycheck"

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Holy fuck that looks awful. Absolutely awful. We're obviously not the intended audience, though. My guess is it'll actually do reasonably well at the box office, just not among actual fans of the originals .. because "people" really like this shit.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Winston definitely wasn't though, and it probably would have been funnier if they said: "Three scientists... And one guy who just needed a steady paycheck"

D:

There's no way they could put that in a trailer now. Why? Because everyone would read that and say, "Oh, so the black man can't hold a job, huh!?"

With a reaction to a trailer that bad, I don't see how it will get good box office opening numbers. Execs don't care what the metacritic rating is, but they do care about whether it makes its investment back. With $154m spent and a terrible trailer that more people hated than not, its going to be difficult to break even, let alone make a profit.

I somewhat disagree with that take on execs. I think they do care about reviews and such, because of how word of mouth is affecting movies these days. It can either have great effects like with Deadpool, or it can be devastating with movies like After Earth. These days, bad movies seem to only get one good day of sales if they're lucky, before people start catching wind of just how bad they are.

Although, there are some that will see movies anyway... like a friend of mine that kept telling me that he was going to see Gods of Egypt even after I told him how badly it was panned.

Really? Only one of the original Ghostbusters was something of an actual scientist and engineer.

Egon may have been the more mechanical type, but the others were scientists too. Venkman is performing an experiment at the beginning of the movie for Pete's sake! :p (Albeit, it was a corrupt experiment to try to get into a coed's panties, but we'll just ignore that part.)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
You don't understand. You see, the actors wanted to reprise their roles and wrote a real sequel years ago but Sony shot it down. After they gave up and lent their voice/screenplay to a video game instead and some untimely deaths ruined the chances for a movie, Sony suddenly changed their mind and gives us this gimmicky crap. They waited until it was guaranteed sh*t to green light another sequel.

Screw you, Sony.

No, you don't understand the facts or the economics. "The actors" didn't want to reprise their roles, Ramis and Ackroyd wanted to reprise their roles. Murray wanted no part of it and Sony shot it down because the script sucked. They might have gone ahead with the original cast and a weak script and they might have gone ahead without Murray if the script was great, but Sony didn't want to put out something crappy as long as there was still a chance to get Murray involved and get the script fixed. They never got either aspect locked down and the chance to get a good picture with the original people was dead. Then and only then did Sony decide to move in a new direction. The simple fact of modern Hollywood is that name recognition counts a hell of a lot more than movie quality. As long as the Ghostbusters name still existed and as long as it could be attached to a project for an instant blockbuster a new project was going to happen eventually. That was a guarantee. There was more than a decade spent trying to put together a good Ghostbusters project and when that couldn't happen Sony went ahead and put together something shitty to cash in on the name. They're running a business, they could do a crappy new Ghostbusters and make hundreds of millions of dollars or they could not do a Ghostbusters project and not make hundreds of millions of dollars. What the hell choice do you think they'd make?

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sony shot it down because the script sucked...

...and they're just suddenly SO much more discriminating with this script. :rolleyes: Do you see why that is upsetting?!

As for Bill Murray being unwilling: he voiced his lines in the game and...
Murray appeared on Late Show with David Letterman and talked about his potential return to Ghostbusters III, stating "I'd do it only if my character was killed off in the first reel."

I'm OK with that. :colbert:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
...and they're just suddenly SO much more discriminating with this script. :rolleyes: Do you see why that is upsetting?!

As for Bill Murray being unwilling: he voiced his lines in the game and...

I'm OK with that. :colbert:

1) They did everything possible to fix the script and they did everything possible to get Murray involved. They spend more than 10 years trying for a good Ghostbusters project and eventually gave up when it became clear it was impossible. Then and only then did they decide to cash in on something lesser. I already explained that, RIF.

2) Yeah, he voiced lines in a game. One day in a studio, in, out, collect check. Big difference between that and getting him in a movie. They wanted him to do a movie, he refused. They retooled, he refused. They rewrote, he refused. What part of that are you not getting? Murray refused to do another Ghostbusters MOVIE.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
No, you don't understand the facts or the economics. "The actors" didn't want to reprise their roles, Ramis and Ackroyd wanted to reprise their roles. Murray wanted no part of it and Sony shot it down because the script sucked. They might have gone ahead with the original cast and a weak script and they might have gone ahead without Murray if the script was great, but Sony didn't want to put out something crappy as long as there was still a chance to get Murray involved and get the script fixed. They never got either aspect locked down and the chance to get a good picture with the original people was dead. Then and only then did Sony decide to move in a new direction. The simple fact of modern Hollywood is that name recognition counts a hell of a lot more than movie quality. As long as the Ghostbusters name still existed and as long as it could be attached to a project for an instant blockbuster a new project was going to happen eventually. That was a guarantee. There was more than a decade spent trying to put together a good Ghostbusters project and when that couldn't happen Sony went ahead and put together something shitty to cash in on the name. They're running a business, they could do a crappy new Ghostbusters and make hundreds of millions of dollars or they could not do a Ghostbusters project and not make hundreds of millions of dollars. What the hell choice do you think they'd make?

Ghostbusters the video game was based on that script and it was perhaps the best ghostbusters anything that wasn't the original. Ivo Shandor also makes a far better villain than the guy they got for this movie.

c9YCZS9.png

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
D:

There's no way they could put that in a trailer now. Why? Because everyone would read that and say, "Oh, so the black man can't hold a job, huh!?"

Since it was a direct quote from Winston in the movie, it could have worked fine. "As long as there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say"

I'm sure somebody who didn't recognize the connection would get pissy anyway though. Stupid society :\

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
All 3 of the original guys were scientists working for the school. Don't you remember Peter saying "back off man, I'm a scientist" to the guy he kept shocking in his first scene?

They were "parapsychologists." Venkman apparently had a degree in real pscyhology too, but that's really not what people mean when they say scientist. His comment was bluster that didn't really mean anything.