Networking Support thread for the unemployed: Spring 2014

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lucky no

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Anyone near / in SE MI good at or willing to learn VBA (or willing to move if your situation is up for it)? Really could use some motivated people. Pay is D.O.E but probably wouldn't be less than $20-$25/hr and could get as high as $40-$45/hr... if you really rock I might be able to push for more, but you really gotta know your stuff by the books to go north of that.

Optional benefits and it varies based on how you work your deal, you basically start off as a contractor but it is W2. If you do well enough, you can get solid benefits as a direct hire. To give you an idea, even though I was a contractor when I started, I still got 27 days off / yr, 401k (albeit crappy one), medical & dental which was an HDHP.

Ping me if interested.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Just received confirmation that right now we can only take in those that already know VBA very well. When we have capacity for a learner position I will update this post. You can always try pinging me if I haven't updated this in a long time.

Last edited:

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Tucson, AZ
Looking for some IT PM's, Developers, and IT Business Analysts.

PM me for more info.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Anyone have any job leads for a senior-level network engineer? Excellent experience in enterprise and service provider routing and switching, qos, virtualization (including vcloud director,) storage networking, enterprise and backhaul wireless infrastructures, and amazing troubleshooting skillz?

I'm in California and would prefer to stay local, but w/e.

k3n

Jan 15, 2001
I possess CCNA + CompTIA Certs and a 2 year technical college degree.

I have decent relevant experience that shows I have work ethic and dedication. Security+ and Network+ knowledge were most certainly utilized to a certain extent. CCNA, not really.

I'm in the Baltimore Metro area. Feel free to contact me if salary is $35,000+.

I'm willing to commute to Annapolis, Wilmington DE, DC, & York PA.

Been studying Oracle MySQL.

Last edited:

pmoa

Platinum Member
Dec 24, 2001
Anyone in the MD/VA/DC area with C# .NET experience. Looking to fill many positions immediately. PM me!

robphelan

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2003
Position Summary:

The senior cyber security analyst is an experienced professional who has been working in the cyber security space for, at least, the last 5 years. This position reports directly to Senior Manager of Cyber Security and the individual will be expected to have good experience identifying, communicating, prioritizing and mitigating cyber security threats, vulnerabilities and exposures.

Key Responsibilities:

Working with cross functional teams and internal users to enforce cyber security policy by providing assistance in applying established standards to projects.
Delivering security and test evaluation services by comparing current state of security controls to their desirable states.
Actively participating in assessing the effectiveness of security technologies such as IDS/IPS, vulnerability scanners, log aggregators, and web Proxies.
Undertaking infrastructure threat and vulnerability assessments to identify specific security exposures and prioritize remediation activities.
Planning and executing risk remediation activities to include development of practical cost effective controls and/or solutions.
Working with legal and HR to provide security subject matter expertise whilst examining policy violation incidents.
Acting as cyber security subject matter expert whilst participating in projects that are delivering or changing IT systems.
Assisting with the implementation of policy enforcement techniques through, among others, development of electronic rules and policies for diverse security products (e.g., enterprise AV system, vulnerability scanners, IDS/IPS, web proxy and DLP system).

Education and Experience:

Minimum undergraduate degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or any related field of study is required.
Minimum of 7 years’ diversified IT experience is required.
Minimum of 5 years’ cyber security experience is required.

Special Skills:

At least one professional cyber security certification (e.g., CCNA Security, CISSP, SANS, CEH, etc.) is required
Working knowledge of a formal/structured cyber security risk assessment methodology is highly desirable

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Been here nine years and I've just noticed this thread. Everybody that rags on Dave owes him a big apology - this is a very good thing to start.

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
My company, OwnersCircle, is looking to hire a fulltime programmer in the Bay Area doing full stack Ruby on Rails w/ additional ReactJS front end work.

You can see the job posting on angelist for more details including compensation.

Feel free to PM me here directly or through AngelList if you are interested or have any questions.

Ramses

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2000
We could really use someone to do contract work on our Ruby based website/online catalog. We've been trying to use one local company for fixing errors and they are like molasses responding, and using freelancer for actual upgrades and other projects. Not a ton of work or a ton of money but there is some to be had if anyone is interested. PM me.

milehigh

Nov 1, 1999
Hiring a full time PHP / MySQL developer. Must be US based, need 5 years of experience. PM for details.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My company is always hiring in operations if someone is looking for social services or social services management in many different states.

However in the corporate office here in St. Paul we do have a number of positions in accounting, HR and IT right now. My department specifically is looking for a PM/BA with a technical background.

PM me for more information.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Tons of stuff open here in Phoenix. Very fast paced environment, FYI.

Project Manager I
IT Security Analyst II x3
IT Security Relationship Manager
Network Analyst Senior
Project Manager II
Technical Support Rep II x3
Technical Support Rep Senior

PM me if interested and I'll send your info to HR for you.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Tons of stuff open here in Phoenix. Very fast paced environment, FYI.

Project Manager I
IT Security Analyst II x3
IT Security Relationship Manager
Network Analyst Senior
Project Manager II
Technical Support Rep II x3
Technical Support Rep Senior

PM me if interested and I'll send your info to HR for you.

Define very fast paced environment. Unrealistic deadlines, long hours and high turn over?

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
CNC mill Mastercam programmer/operator needed for small mold shop in New Braunfels, Texas. Plastic injection mold background a plus.

PM me if interested.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Is this some kind of age discrimination thing?

The perception is that people who didn't recently graduate are either not looking for an entry level position, or if they are they are 'damaged goods' and have been passed over by others for a good reason.

l0cke

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2005
Guess I should post in here. I'm graduating with a BS in Electrical Engineering in December and looking for an entry level job. I've got experience plus a bunch of personal projects. I've done basically everything there is to do, from RF circuit design to programming in all sorts of languages.

I'm currently in Colorado Springs but wiling to relocate anywhere.

PM me for more info or let me know if you know of a place that's hiring.

AMDisTheBEST

Dec 17, 2015
I am an aspiring software developer. I will be heading off to college next fall and I plan to major in Computer Engineering. I will definitely be looking for internships and I have every intention to maintain a high GPA in order to be consider. If any firms are recruiting near a campus, please let me know which school/s they are so I have better knowledge of which college I should consider. Thanks

ConundrumMSU

May 25, 2011
I was looking through these replies, and I was curious to know what certifications are the most in demand currently.

I have my CompTIA A+, MCP, MCDBA, MCSA, and MCSE. I obtained these certifications back in the Windows 2000 track. I'm currently looking into recertification. The process seems to be a bit more specialized now.

I'm looking for feedback regarding which certifications are the most highly desired, and if there's a particular combination of certifications that are the most in demand for the highest salary.

I ran my own business for many years, and used a company to get me what I needed for bigger projects when it came to temporary employees (contract work). I did most of the work myself typically. More profit that way obviously. ;)

Now I have a family and dealing with the clientele in West Palm Beach is horrifying. People don't want to pay their bills, and they will do the most outrageous things in attempts to avoid paying them. You wouldn't imagine half of the stories I could tell you.

I'm shutting it down, and I'm going to start looking for a 9-5 type position. I'm uncertain of which direction I want to go. I haven't had to consider job interviews for a decade. Now I'm faced with it, and I realize I allowed my certifications to lapse. I was thinking CCNA Security would be a good one. I'm debating whether to recertify with my Microsoft certifications. It's a huge jump from Windows 2000 to Windows Server 2012. I'm familiar with most (if not all) of the relevant software. I just need to go over some of the information to make sure my confidence is warranted.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
My company is looking for an L2 Support / QA person. Job description is below:

Quality Assurance / Level 2 Support Engineer
SnapRetail - Pittsburgh, PA
SnapRetail (www.snapretail.com) is a Pittsburgh-based technology company that provides an online marketing system for independent retailers. Thousands of retailers use SnapRetail's easy SaaS product to plan monthly promotional activities, engage with customers through email and social media, and sell online. Among our many awards, SnapRetail has been recognized twice as a Pittsburgh Tech50 company and nationally as one of ten "Brilliant Companies in Social Shopping" by Entrepreneur Magazine. We were also recently recognized by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette as one of the best places to work in Pittsburgh. Founded in early 2010, we are a vibrant, energetic company full of bright and talented people with a passion for helping local retailers thrive.

Your Responsibilities
The Quality Assurance and Level 2 Support Engineer will work closely with SnapRetail’s Customer Service team (called Marketing Consultants) to resolve incidents reported by customers related to our software and communicate back to the Marketing Consultants any status updates and solutions as issues are closed.

In this role you will field incoming reports of bugs, performance issues, and other technical issues with the software. You will be required to perform technical troubleshooting and data analysis to triage and diagnose issues, and work with the Engineering team to fix any bugs identified. You will interact with our customers as necessary to perform additional troubleshooting of software issues or assist with any advanced configuration tasks (such as with our website platform). Finally, you will document cases and bugs in the CRM system so that the Customer Service team can be updated and communicate resolution to customer. As a member of the Engineering team, you will also have opportunity to assist with other areas of our software development, including design and development projects.

You will also be responsible for the overall quality of the product by testing all software releases to ensure they are bug free and fulfill the requirements set forth by Product Management. You will develop test plans based on the requirements, and document any defects or missed requirements found during the testing cycle. You will also perform regression testing to ensure that no unexpected bugs or changes are introduced into the product when a feature is developed. During the release of the software update, you will be responsible for sign-off that the feature functions as expected in a production environment.

Reports To
Senior Director, Technology

Required Education:
Bachelor’s of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related field or equivalent experience

Responsibilities:
Participate in design discussions and translate requirements into efficient and repeatable test plans
Develop test plans, scripts, and other documentation necessary for testing
Identify areas for improving efficiency, shortening of test cycles, and overall process improvements
Monitor product defects and maintain proper QA documentation
Meet with the Marketing Consultants regularly to update them on the status of escalated issues, and review discuss any functional problem areas with the software as reported by our customers
Execute both exploratory testing and manual formal scenario-based test plans on multiple platforms
Interface with Marketing Consultants, Product Management, and Engineers in identifying and resolving defects
Work closely with the engineering to diagnose issues, resolve defects, and ensure that product releases follow project specifications
Perform detail-oriented bug tracking and change verification in Jira

Required Experience:
Ability to write SQL queries in real-time to troubleshoot production issues
Ability to read and interpret application and server log files for the purpose of troubleshooting issues
1-2 years of experience debugging complex software in a QA or technical support role
Demonstrated ability to think analytically using inductive and deductive logic to identify cause of bugs
Extensive use and knowledge of commercial web sites and social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest
Attention to detail to ensure that steps required to reproduce issues are documented and communicated to engineering team
Ability to multi-task in the face of many high-priority customer cases
Very good verbal and written communications skills, including the ability to be persuasive as well as to listen
Ability to work in an AGILE-based collaborative team environment

Desired Experience:
Prior experience with support case and defect ticketing software
Experience debugging complex web-based software, specifically responsible for cross-browser testing and/or bug triaging
Prior experience in a QA or technical support role for a web-based software product built in ASP.NET
1-2 years experience building web-based software products
Basic Scripting - Powershell, javascript, VB Script

Technologies Utilized:
MS SQL Server
.NET/MVC
Jira
Team City
Azure/AWS
TestRail
Git/GitHub

This position is located at 2840 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA in the heart of Pittsburgh's Strip District. Visit our Facebook page to learn more about our facility, our people and our culture - facebook.com/snapretail. SnapRetail offers a competitive salary, including benefits such as Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short and Long Term disability, holidays, paid personal time off, and 401k. Qualified candidates should submit their resume via the link provided.

Job Type: Full-time

Required experience:

Quality Assurance: 1 year

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?t=qua...3921ae0&_ga=1.247392516.1868906720.1454364268

PM me with any questions or interest! We're looking to hire immediately.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I'm looking for an IT professional to work full-time at an office in the Dallas area. The office has approximately 15 people and a mixture of Windows 7 and Windows 10 desktops as well as Surface Pro 3s and Surfacebooks. The server is SBS 2011 and it is badly in need of some TLC.

This is a long term position that has other opportunities to advance and grow especially if you have any interest in structural or civil engineering. You don't have to be a structural or civil engineer to do some of that type of work as some of our best people aren't engineers. Your main focus would be IT and it's the only expectation anyone would have of your daily tasks. I'm mentioning the other work simply as a way to make sure you know there's other types of work available should you want a change or become bored.

Please let me know if you're interested and we can chat on the phone. You can start now!

saratoga172

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2009
I'm looking for an IT professional to work full-time at an office in the Dallas area. The office has approximately 15 people and a mixture of Windows 7 and Windows 10 desktops as well as Surface Pro 3s and Surfacebooks. The server is SBS 2011 and it is badly in need of some TLC.

This is a long term position that has other opportunities to advance and grow especially if you have any interest in structural or civil engineering. You don't have to be a structural or civil engineer to do some of that type of work as some of our best people aren't engineers. Your main focus would be IT and it's the only expectation anyone would have of your daily tasks. I'm mentioning the other work simply as a way to make sure you know there's other types of work available should you want a change or become bored.

Please let me know if you're interested and we can chat on the phone. You can start now!

Sent you a PM.