Networking Support thread for the unemployed: Spring 2014

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lucky no

Results are only viewable after voting.

mikelish

Apr 26, 2003
i currently have a job in Maryland that pays $70k,

But I would prefer to live and work in Austin, TX.

if anyone knows of a good job there please let me know.

I am 28 years old with a Computer Engineer bachelor degree and 5+ years of experience with Server Adminstration and Networking

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Despite widespread skepticism, General Motors Co. appears serious about in-sourcing the major slice of its information technology business – including the development of advanced in-car infotainment systems.

The maker plans to open a new Information Technology Innovation Center in Warren, Mich., and expects to hire up to 1,500 high-tech employees over the next several years to support the company’s expanding focus on IT services.

The maker also plans to add 500 more jobs at another center in Austin, Texas.

“We’re currently seeking the next generation of game-changers to help us usher in a new age of automotive innovation at GM,” said GM Chief Information Officer Randy Mott."

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/gm-...-workers-1C6341925?franchiseSlug=businessmain

http://careers.gm.com/career-tracks/technical/information-technology.html

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000114536&play=1

Last edited:

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I think defense contractors might be big employers around there.

Maybe Raytheon? (one member said they were on hiring spree in January of this year north of Boston) Someone else mentioned Sikorsky and Rolls Royce.
I work for Raytheon as a Systems Engineer in Woburn, MA (just north of Boston). They've been on a hiring spree the last few months, and they continue to keep hiring. You dont necessarily need to have a clearance already. PM me for more info/details.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2000
My company has an opening for an onsite IT position located in Louisville, KY. Position is salary, hours are 8-5 M-F but you'll have to work after hours some, such is the IT world.

Experience needed is with Microsoft products (i.e. Server, Exchange) and VMware products, specifically ESX, Vsphere, and View. You don't need to be an expert but at least have seen and worked with these products before and be able to answer a couple of questions to prove you know them somewhat.

I'm not sure if a college degree is required but I don't think the lack of one would be a barrier if you proved knowledge in these products.

I'm doing interviews on Tuesday of next week, send me a PM ASAP so I can tell you where to send your resume. You would be called on Monday for an interview if you met the requirements.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
"Ford Motor Co. plans to add 800 white-collar U.S. workers during the next six months, bringing its total number of salaried hires this year to 3,000, the automaker confirmed Monday.

The new jobs — primarily in engineering, information technology, product development and manufacturing — will be in addition to the 2,200 new salaried jobs Ford announced earlier in the year. The Dearborn automaker will also hire workers in purchasing, finance and other areas. (I think Ford jobs are in Dearborn, MI area)

General Motors Co. also is in the process of adding approximately 4,000 white-collar jobs at four IT Innovation Centers in Atlanta, Phoenix, Austin, Texas, and Warren in Macomb County. The bulk of Ford’s new hires will work in Southeast Michigan."

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130610/BIZ/306100093

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100907045

(aerospace industry is also supposed to be absolutely booming so there are probably some good job openings there)

Oil and Gas Engineers: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/engineers-rich-talent-war-heats-085900912.html

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
company i work for is looking for software developers of all experience ranges. company is located in the columbia, md area as well as northern, va. they have great pay and offer the best benefits i've ever had at a job. pm me if interested i can give you more details.

kushy26

Jul 12, 2013
Technically I am a mechanical engineer but here there are no openings right now so trying to get other opportunities in operations manager or voice based.All the best for all.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Oops, missed that. Getting hired out here is proving immensely difficult...in a hiring process with a small agency for reserve. We'll see what happens.

We need a lot of people at FIS:
http://jobs.fisglobal.com/phoenix-jobs

You don't need people that bad, I went in and interviewed and got a lame excuse of afterwards of "Your technical aptitude is not strong enough." Ive got 10+ yrs in I.T. and the individuals interviewing me are going to make jokes that nobody in their office has a Masters Degree yet come back stating that my technical aptitude is not enough for a entry level help desk position? Give me a break... Sounds like a case of lazy asses that didn't want to hire someone who would make them look bad and ultimately take their jobs..

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
Calling all 'codaholics': Automakers vie for tech talent

"The competition has already pushed up starting salaries for software engineers and forced recruiters to redouble their hiring efforts. There are five software and electrical engineering jobs for every college graduate in these fields, said Garth Motschenbacher, director of employer relations at Michigan State University in East Lansing.

Five years ago, auto engineers were willing to accept starting salaries between $50,000 and $45,000, said Matt LePage, lead technical recruiter for GTA Staffing, a Dearborn, Michigan-based firm focused on the auto industry.

Now, starting annual salaries can be two-thirds higher, ranging from between $65,000 and $75,000 or even higher, according to LePage and others including staffing firms and university officials.

"We do recognize that the cost of living is very different here than in the West Coast," said Felicia Fields, Ford's vice president of human resources. "So we're not trying to match that. We're paying competitively for this area, and that's where the vast majority of these jobs are."

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/calling-codaholics-automakers-vie-tech-talent-110437002.html

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000114536 (IIRC, last year, some other article I read said starting salary for recent college grad for auto makers was $60,000)

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/1834541087001/engineering-facing-skills-shortage-in-hiring (don't forget trickle down to parts makers, also)

2013 IT Salary Survey (national averages; experienced, not recent college grad): http://www.informationweek.com/glob...lary-survey-2013-11-career-insights/240152665

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
You don't need people that bad, I went in and interviewed and got a lame excuse of afterwards of "Your technical aptitude is not strong enough." Ive got 10+ yrs in I.T. and the individuals interviewing me are going to make jokes that nobody in their office has a Masters Degree yet come back stating that my technical aptitude is not enough for a entry level help desk position? Give me a break... Sounds like a case of lazy asses that didn't want to hire someone who would make them look bad and ultimately take their jobs..

Sounds like you were just overqualified and they prob couldn't afford you. Happens all the time.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
If you're in Detroit metro and have wasted your time learning VBA, send me a PM. The pay range is quite large, so a range of experience is fine. If you're above average you'll "excel" (muwahaha) here no problems...

If you care, it starts off as contract work, but the pay and benefits are pretty dang good (if you're good).

mAdMaLuDaWg

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2003
Hello All,

My wife is looking for a job as any sort of junior accountant in New York City. She just moved from South Africa and is a registered Chartered Accountant there (which means nothing here.. I know :( ) and has 3 years working for a Big 4 in South Africa. Any leads would be appreciated.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
My company is in need of a program written to run on Verifone credit card terminals.

Experience is a must. If you do well with this, the president has thoughts on a long term relationship.

I am in Michigan but you do not need to be local. Pay will be very fair.

Please PM me for details.

mkrohn

Apr 13, 2013
Whats the Masters in? The local community college here I found one instructor was merely working on her masters and found several others with masters teaching there.

I'm looking for work in SW Michigan while going to school at the aforementioned community college. I moved down here because its where my wife grew up and we were offered a nice house super cheap by my in-laws so it made sense to come down here. The majority of my past work experiences were self employment. If you go back a ways with tech sites I still own iamnotageek and networktechs but haven't done crap with them in a long time. The last big thing I made a bunch of money in was Xbox repairs then moved into jtagging but that went away fast with better monitoring from MS. When I went a while without a big idea I started going to school.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Whats the Masters in? The local community college here I found one instructor was merely working on her masters and found several others with masters teaching there.

I'm looking for work in SW Michigan while going to school at the aforementioned community college. I moved down here because its where my wife grew up and we were offered a nice house super cheap by my in-laws so it made sense to come down here. The majority of my past work experiences were self employment. If you go back a ways with tech sites I still own iamnotageek and networktechs but haven't done crap with them in a long time. The last big thing I made a bunch of money in was Xbox repairs then moved into jtagging but that went away fast with better monitoring from MS. When I went a while without a big idea I started going to school.

Its just a general MBA, I got it in order to facilitate moving from a technical position within a company towards a management position. My undergrad was technical and that is where my heart is but I desire to move into management and figured the MBA would assist in that.. eventually.

By here are you referring to SW Michigan? Im way in Arizona... I wouldn't mind teaching as long as it was a subject I was passionate about but somehow I do not believe an MBA would lend itself to the teaching capacity... I have never been in a teaching role... I plan to pursue a PhD in Information Assurance/Security... once I get in a job and can formulate some sponsorship for the dissertation etc..

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
Sounds like you were just overqualified and they prob couldn't afford you. Happens all the time.

That is what I figured, but when I called the "Talent Acquisition Agent" to follow-up after the interview she first off came across as "Oh, I didn't call you back with a status update?" to which I said "No, If you had I would not be calling you..." than she went on to say how the interviewers had mentioned to her specifically that my technical aptitude was not where they would expect it to be for the position (total slap in the face type excuse) since during the interview they blatantly said to me verbatim "We do not have ANYONE who works here that has a Masters..." than went on to be extremely rude and fiddled with their phones during the interview process... while shotgunning me questions, totally unprofessional IMO...

Phantomaniac

Jan 12, 2007
Bumping this again since we still haven't found anyone. My company is looking for one more tech support person in Washington, DC. HQ is near Dupont Circle. This is not a generic microsoft helpdesk type of gig. We support a proprietary web and video streaming application so you will be working hands on with things like Server 2003/2008, IIS, and MSSQL. Specific server experience is not a requirement.

PM me if you are interested.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
That is what I figured, but when I called the "Talent Acquisition Agent" to follow-up after the interview she first off came across as "Oh, I didn't call you back with a status update?" to which I said "No, If you had I would not be calling you..." than she went on to say how the interviewers had mentioned to her specifically that my technical aptitude was not where they would expect it to be for the position (total slap in the face type excuse) since during the interview they blatantly said to me verbatim "We do not have ANYONE who works here that has a Masters..." than went on to be extremely rude and fiddled with their phones during the interview process... while shotgunning me questions, totally unprofessional IMO...

I really hate HR people. They lie more than a used car salesman.

I'm so glad my company doesn't have HR. I just go to the CFO or the president with any concerns. Someone had to validate their employment and they just let the secretary handle it. It was kind of funny.

pandemonium

Golden Member
Mar 17, 2011

You're better off...trust me.

This is exactly it. FIS is extremely stingy on their financial compensation. The company has been downsizing for the last couple of years and sending more and more jobs overseas.

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
You're better off...trust me.

This is exactly it. FIS is extremely stingy on their financial compensation. The company has been downsizing for the last couple of years and sending more and more jobs overseas.

After the bad experience I had coming in having never heard of the company to get them to be as unprofessional during the interview process as to ask me questions and text on their phones right in the middle of the interview with txt alert chimes sounding I just started to think "What the F*#$" but then to also hear them admit also during the interview they're having retention problems, its no wonder! Nice to know some more inside info on this, thanks for the comments, looks like I dodged a bullet...

Meractik

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2003
I really hate HR people. They lie more than a used car salesman.

I'm so glad my company doesn't have HR. I just go to the CFO or the president with any concerns. Someone had to validate their employment and they just let the secretary handle it. It was kind of funny.

I could not agree more. HR totally blows! I recently went to a job fair where the HR goonies at a certain company's table told me they've been working on a new contract with "API" and asked if I heard of them.... I said... API? are you sure, to me that is not a company but instead an acronym which stands for "Application Programming Interface" which could refer to the custom software products your company provides as SaS... the lady simply said "Oh, yea! that's what it is! You're right!" LOL! I-D-I-O-T-S!

I hate the fact that they get to screen your resume and have no idea WTF they should/should not be looking for in a candidate. More importantly HR idiots HAVE NO IDEA what any of the certs or education/experience items are or their relevance its simply a acronym that they search for!