Network & NAS Headache

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I've been following this thread out of curiosity. My $.02 would be to first ask if the EX2 if fully up to date from a firmware and software perspective. I ask because I have a Synology and the updates are fairly frequent.

Yayo3p

Mar 11, 2015
Modems dont have routing protocols, so no what ever your doing is not going to work. You need a router so you can have the router route the traffic in your internal network in order for you to map drives.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Modems dont have routing protocols, so no what ever your doing is not going to work. You need a router so you can have the router route the traffic in your internal network in order for you to map drives.
He does have a router. It's a combo Modem/Router. He just got hung up on what the manufacturer calls it.

Squeetard

Nov 13, 2004
The last log was from May 29;
SAMBA CIFS:Authentication for user [user] has FAILED.

That is the only log.

Seen and fixed this before. You need to edit the permissions on the shared folder and allow the windows "Network Service" account full access.

Also, your modem is also a router not just a gateway modem.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
He does have a router. It's a combo Modem/Router. He just got hung up on what the manufacturer calls it.

Yeah, he got me too. Since he insisted to everybody he contacted that it wasn't a router, it is no wonder he had trouble getting help.

OP, it is providing private IP addresses to devices on your network. It is a router (combo device really). Apologies for the confusion in my earlier post.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
There is good news and bad news.
Bad News; watch this video, it is the problem that I've been having, including up to now trying to get the Windows 7 & Windows 8 box to communicate. Which may be why I can't map a directory on the NAS as a drive. I've been informed that, it's an issue that Microsoft ignored and I've been bitten.
Remember, I don't want to use homegroups, rather regular workgroups, both computers have a name of "workgroup:

Good News; By creating a another user on the NAS, I'm able to access all the directories on the NAS though Windows 8, but only though the NAS control panel in a browser, and I can't actually view the files, only see the directories.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Have you gone through Windows sharing settings to make sure network discovery and file sharing are able to accept this connection?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
There is good news and bad news.
Bad News; watch this video, it is the problem that I've been having, including up to now trying to get the Windows 7 & Windows 8 box to communicate. Which may be why I can't map a directory on the NAS as a drive. I've been informed that, it's an issue that Microsoft ignored and I've been bitten.
Remember, I don't want to use homegroups, rather regular workgroups, both computers have a name of "workgroup:

Good News; By creating a another user on the NAS, I'm able to access all the directories on the NAS though Windows 8, but only though the NAS control panel in a browser, and I can't actually view the files, only see the directories.
ketchup79 gave you some good advice below your post. I will add to it.

You don't have sharing set up correctly on your NAS. Solve this one step at a time. You have created another user and now you are part way to achieving one of your goals. Concentrate only on the goal of getting access to the directories on your NAS using Windows 8, through the new user ID, and to the files within the folders you desire.

Your newly created user does not have permission to view the files contained in the directories you desire that user to have access to. That must be corrected within the NAS.

And forget about Homegroup. You're fixated on it to the point that it is affecting everything you're doing. Forget about it, forget it even exists.

Forget about getting the Windows 7 and 8 computers talking to each other for now. The Windows 8 and your NAS communicating properly is your one and only goal for now.

I'm going to deep six what I just told you but I'm going to say it now. I have a desktop running 7 and a laptop running 8.1. First off, I store nothing on these computers. All files are on my NAS. But, I just set up sharing on a folder on each computer and without using Homegroup, in just a few clicks I was able to do so. It's a very simple process and for whatever reason you are complicating it to no end.

But...forget about that now and concentrate only on what I tasked you with. You're going to have to figure that out without my help because I have a Synology and you have a product from WD. It has to be done from within the WD.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Your newly created user does not have permission to view the files contained in the directories you desire that user to have access to. That must be corrected within the NAS.

Don't you mean, Windows 8 does not have access to view the directory for the new user created within the NAS ?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Don't you mean, Windows 8 does not have access to view the directory for the new user created within the NAS ?
No, you said that from a Win8 computer that you can see directories on the NAS using the new user you created but you can't access the files in those directories.

It's not a Win8 problem. It's a sharing problem in the NAS. Think of it this way. Why would Win8 allow you to only get so far and not the rest of the way? It's the NAS, not 8. Somewhere within the NAS there must be a way to set folder permissions for your new user. You should be able to set permissions at the user level and the folder level. In this case it would be best to concentrate on the user level. It should be easier.

And get happy for now with it being through the WD control panel. One step at a time, learning as you go along. You have an end goal, but it's going to take a number of steps to reach.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I don't know how much longer I'm going to be in front of the computer this afternoon so I am going to put this here for now. It's not what's causing your problem right now. But as far as mapping drives, it appears that it must be done from within the WD software. Maybe you know this already, I'm not going back through 100+ posts to find out. Initial mapping is done through the WD software and then it should be available in Explorer.

Anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXALIargYc

There's a bunch of them:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/My-Cloud-How-To-Videos/td-p/859084

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I'm doing my typical bit of lots of editing in the above two posts. Refresh to see the latest. I am trying to clarify what I have been writing so it is as understandable as I can make it.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Mr.Entenmann, forgive me if these are silly questions:

Have you installed any of the WD software for accessing the NAS?

Do you have access to the dashboard for the device?

Has the NAS always been hooked up through ethernet connection?

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
I made one of the directories on the NAS a shared read/write within the NAS control panel. I'm still getting this error when I try to map a directory as a drive.

PC is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
I was informed from someone who has run through these problems said, the problem is the networking between Windows versions. And is something Microsoft ignored ?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I was informed from someone who has run through these problems said, the problem is the networking between Windows versions. And is something Microsoft ignored ?

I have a lan at home running Windows Server 2008 providing files for computers running Vista, 7,8.1, 10, and whatever OS my blu-ray player uses. There is not sharing issue between Windows versions.

And I don't know if you read the manual, but it clearly states that it supports every version of Windows from XP to 8.1 as well as Mac.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I made one of the directories on the NAS a shared read/write within the NAS control panel. I'm still getting this error when I try to map a directory as a drive.

If you are only getting that error on one computer, you might try setting up a new user with Administrator credentials, make sure sharing is fully enabled, and remove/reinstall the software again.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
tumblr_mcczolQpgQ1qexxdh.jpg

I can't map any directory on the NAS because of the above error. It seems so simple, yet as I mentioned, I've had numerous attempts at trying to solve.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Ketchup - I've tried the solutions you keep telling me, over and over and over again. That is nice that you have networking working, and it's good for whatever you know, that doesn't help my problem, no matter how much finger pointing you appear to be doing on what I'm doing wrong.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Well, I only have two more options to bug you with:

1. Turn off Windows Firewall and see if you get the same error.

2. Enter the following entry into your registry (warning, some risk here):

Create a DWORD value called 'AllowInsecureGuestAuth' in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters and set this new value to 1.
(the thought here is that, since the NAS isn't running Windows, Windows is blocking it)

Reboot and see if it works.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
tumblr_mcczolQpgQ1qexxdh.jpg

I can't map any directory on the NAS because of the above error. It seems so simple, yet as I mentioned, I've had numerous attempts at trying to solve.
Now that you're back off on other tangents, I'll go along for a while. Are you mapping it through the WD Discovery software? Yes or no.