Network & NAS Headache

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Update: The Win7 box can see the Win 8 shared folders, only see, it can't access the files without the "you don't have permission" error & the NAS problem continues.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
No. Right Clicking My Computer > Map Network Drive
It's not going to work that way. It needs to be done through the WD Discovery software. The video I linked to gives a step by step on how to do that.

Here's my guess. The WD discovery software is an assist for creating the permissions, etc., that are required to have a mapped drive. It's a shortcut that cuts out configurations that more than likely can be done manually but the software provides a means to achieve the goal more easily for novices. The requirements for Windows to map a drive aren't what's important here, it's the requirements for the NAS.

But mapping a network drive is not what you should be doing right now. If you can't access the folders through the WD dashboard, you won't be able to access them through a mapped drive. You're putting the cart before the horse and frankly, I'm wondering why you're so easily sidetracked at this point. If you're trying to get help across numerous forums, pick one and stick with it. You're getting pulled in too many different directions and your posts in this thread reflect that.

Did you attempt to set permissions for directories for the new user account you created on the NAS? Yes or no?

If no, why not?

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Did you attempt to set permissions for directories for the new user account you created on the NAS? Yes or no?
No, I only gave the directories read\write privileges. I'll check that now.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
I installed WD Discovery Software, and I set it to map the drive manually, but it won't proceed to do that, because I'm getting a; Enter Network Password, the top field is a user called, literally, called 'nobody' that I didn't create at any time. Below that is "use another account"

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Clicking "use another account" leads back to the user 'nobody' ?

Is the WD Discovery software to be run on the PC that has no problems access files or directories, or the Win8 PC, because the Enter Network Password is being asked only on the PC that has no problems access the directories and files on the NAS ?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I installed WD Discovery Software, and I set it to map the drive manually, but it won't proceed to do that, because I'm getting a; Enter Network Password, the top field is a user called, literally, called 'nobody' that I didn't create at any time. Below that is "use another account"
So...can you click on 'use another account' and choose the new user you created? Sounds like 'nobody' is a default built into the software and 'use another account' is how you choose which user you're going to create access for.

OK, you posted while I was typing.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I had asked before. Is the NAS all up to date with all updates and or patches installed? Does WD specifically say that your NAS works with Win8? And the computer you're trying to get working, is it 8 or 8.1?

Are you using the latest version of the WD Discovery software?

I guess I had missed that you were able to map and access from Win7. But, it's tough to keep up.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
I had asked before. Is the NAS all up to date with all updates and or patches installed? Does WD specifically say that your NAS works with Win8? And the computer you're trying to get working, is it 8 or 8.1?
Everything is up to date, and I am using the latest version of the WD Discovery software & it's Win 8.1.

I have already mapped a directory on the NAS as a network drive on Win7 :)

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Everything is up to date, and I am using the latest version of the WD Discovery software & it's Win 8.1.

I have already mapped a directory on the NAS as a network drive on Win7 :)
Yeah, well I owe you some form of an apology because I've had you spinning around because I failed to pick up on the Win7 computer interfacing as it should with the NAS.

So, if what you're being told is that Microsoft left something out of 8.1 (I don't recall exactly how you termed it) about all I can say is that it could also be said that WD has failed to make their product compatible. In other words, it's a finger pointing game and you're in the middle. All you can do is wait it out until one party or the other cries Uncle.

I got into a bit of a tussle here many years ago declaring that a router I had been using was not compatible with Windows Vista, IIRC. It kind of got some people riled up with a number of people getting into the discussion, which was very civil BTW, more or less telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. But I was only relaying information I had gotten directly from the Router manufacturer. Eventually, one of the really sharp guys with connections at Microsoft got with somebody and came into the thread declaring that I was in fact correct while citing all the particulars. Microsoft had changed some obscure portion of the networking protocol in Vista, which is something they don't have the authority to do. It's not their decision to make. But they did. How that shook out I don't know because I bought me a new router that had right on the box, 'Vista Ready'.

There might be more to be gleaned from the above paragraph than there appears to be on the initial read through. :)

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
The Network login screen is not happening on the Win8 side, it's happening on the Win7, the same pc for which I can access all the directories and the files contained within those directories. I don't understand why it's happening ?

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
All of the users using net users delete all had to be deleted, as they were conflicting, that was only the beginning. What the real hill to climb was figuring out the five services that had to be switched from manual to automatic which I know off. And finally the Admin has to be given access to the other users, which it was not. Then we ran into a problem whereas since Windows XP/7/8 cannot map a folder as a drive bi-directional as you can in Windows Server, that was causing some grief, I was able solve I had the previous problems fixed, hopefully this particular problem with regards to bi-directional mapping of drives is fixed in Windows10, hopefully.