Network & NAS Headache

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
A few weeks ago I hooked up a NAS to a computer, the computer that the NAS is hooked up to, can access the NAS via IP address or by the NAS name, which is a Windows 7 box. The NAS Ethernet cable is connected to a modem/gateway, not a router, I've had to explain this to half a dozen people, as they all assumed it was connected to a router, actually I've had to explain this situation to a half dozen people and no one was able to help me.

Anyhow, the other computer for which I want to access the NAS is a Windows 8.1 box which can't access any folder on the NAS to map as a network drive without the following error; the only thing the Windows 8.1 box can do, is access the NAS control panel via the NAS IP address.

tumblr_mcczolQpgQ1qexxdh.jpg

As I mentioned, I asked a half a dozen people or so to help me with this, one suggestion was to remove all computers from a homegroup, and instead use regular networking, or workgroups, back when I was using Windows2000 I always used workgroups, since the dawn of Homegroups I have forgotten how to do this, as it is more robust, and is the route unless otherwise, I prefer to go.

All computers are not connected to a homegroup, instead both computers share the same workgroup name, as suggested when creating workgroups. I had a shared folder that both boxes could access that was on a homegroup, that has been broken for a few weeks due to removing the computers from the homegroup.

Every suggestion online to get homegroups back working, even though, that is not the route I want to go have all failed.

In-case you are wondering, when I go to Control Panel > HomeGroup at the top of that window it will switch between these two messages, literally every second;
Home_Group_A.jpg

Home_Group_B.jpg

The end result is, the shared folder I had working when I had homegroups working doesn't share, once again, I know this is due to the fact that I stopped homegroups.

Second, which is also as important, I can't map directories from the NAS to Windows 8.1 and use directories on the NAS as sharing drives etc.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
A few weeks ago I hooked up a NAS to a computer, the computer that the NAS is hooked up to, can access the NAS via IP address or by the NAS name, which is a Windows 7 box. The NAS Ethernet cable is connected to a modem/gateway, not a router, I've had to explain this to half a dozen people, as they all assumed it was connected to a router, actually I've had to explain this situation to a half dozen people and no one was able to help me.
First off, what NAS device are you using, and why is the NAS hooked up directly to the modem/gateway and not a router instead?

Usually, you need the NAS hooked up to the router, so all devices hooked up to said router can all access the NAS (they are all in the same subnet).
You seem to have created multiple subnets, and expect it to still be accessible, which, won't work without much more work.

Describe your whole network scheme.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
First off, what NAS device are you using, and why is the NAS hooked up directly to the modem/gateway and not a router instead?
The NAS is hooked up to the modem/gateway and not a router, because I don't own a router. The NAS is a WD EX2.

Usually, you need the NAS hooked up to the router, so all devices hooked up to said router can all access the NAS (they are all in the same subnet).
You seem to have created multiple subnets, and expect it to still be accessible, which, won't work without much more work.

Describe your whole network scheme.
I allowed someone to team viewer and tinker with some of my network settings so I can't recall what they did, as I mentioned in the original post, a few weeks ago :( I was informed to put all computers in the same workgroup name if I don't want to use homegroups, when creating a workgroup.

The Network scheme is, all computers both Windows 7 & Windows 8, including the NAS are hooked into the modem/gateway.

There is a laptop I use sometimes, that use to work, in other words, it could access a shared folder on the Windows 8 box, but internet wouldn't work, I always wanted internet to work when hooked up but I couldn't get it working ? :(

matricks

Nov 19, 2014
Please post the IP address(es) of all of your devices. Computer, NAS, "modem/gateway", all of it. This will make more sense of your network setup.

matricks

Nov 19, 2014
How so? Post the three first octets and the subnet mask, then. E.g. 192.168.1.*, 255.255.255.0. If you're using IPv6, check that all devices have the same prefix and subnet mask, and post the part before the first :.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
A Storgae Device to be a NAS has to connect directly to the Network Not to a Computer (I.e., Router, Wireless, or switch).

If it connects to a Computer it become regular Storage and has to be configured a part of the computer Sharing its Drives in order to be accessed from other Network devices.

:cool:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
matricks - Isn't that a little dangerous ? :)

New to networking, I see. It's all good. Everybody has the same range(s) of internal ip addresses.

Most routers will give you something like 192.168.?.?, but could also be 172.* or 10.*

As others have stated, you can't have an effective NAS without a router. And routers are so inexpensive, there is no reason not to either.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Remember, there is no router, only a modem/gateway. :)

JackMDS - The NAS is connected to the modem/gateway. When I said the NAS is connected to a computer, I meant the USB plug. :)

The NAS IP - 192.168.2.XX
Windows 8.1 & Modem IP - 192.168.2.XX
Windows 7 IP - 192.168.2.XX

ketchup79 - Not really too new to networking, I use to do this stuff flawlessly with Windows2000 :)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
What is the modem/gateway?
I assume these are all connected via wireless then?

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Didn't mean to diss. So, why don't you have a router? I don't understand why one would have a NAS without one, so please enlighten me.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
The modem is a Sagemcom 2864 VDSL Modem. Everything is connected via wired.

I'm not taking it as a put down ketchup79, don't worry. :) I don't have a router, I don't want one, the modem is all I need, besides I don't want wireless :)

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
2013-01-10_231628_sage.jpg

That, right?
Just hook everything up to the LAN ports, and don't hook up the WD via USB to the computer.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
The WD is, and always has been hooked up to one the LAN ports on the modem.

Sorry, I need to make a correction what I said earlier, there is no USB connection to the computer, only power connection.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
I can access the NAS control panel via Windows 8.1, I can't map any of the directories, or access any directories, as I mentioned in my original post. :(

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I assume this fails then? If so, what error you seeing?
Code:
Mapping the Public Folder (Windows)
To map the WD My Cloud EX2 Public 
folder for quick access in the future:
1.  In Windows Explorer, under Network, click
 WDMYCLOUDEX2.
2.  Right-click the Public folder and select 
Map Network Drive from the menu.
3.  Select the desired letter from the Drive drop-down list.
4.  Select the Reconnect at login  check box.
5.  Click Finish.
Your Public drive is now mapped

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Well, on the NAS, I would do wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g and make sure that output is correct for starters...
You might also want to increase the log verbosity to tell you more.

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Well, on the NAS, I would do wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g and make sure that output is correct for starters...
You might also want to increase the log verbosity to tell you more.
Those commands don't work on the drive of the NAS.

I can't increase the log verbosity !

Mr.Entenmann

Jun 12, 2015
Since I have never used SSH, I assume you want me to download a SSH terminal program then run the commands you posted in the SSH terminal ?

May I ask what those commands you posted will do, will it help in any way ?