Stephen Shields

Apr 13, 2017
I have a good 1050 Ti NVIDIa Graphics Card, just got a high quality SSD and 2 sticks of 2133 Mhz 8GB DDR3 memory, and am trying to run Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (huge map, 100+ players on a server) smoothly, but it keeps lagging even when I set all graphics settings to very low. My system says CPU never goes over 70% usage when I run it, memory used to clock around 90% before I got the extra 8gigs, but not it's around 50%, disk is around 1-2%, (I moved the game file to the SSD and using a standard SATA with that, but I am wondering if it could still be my CPU (which is a mediocre AMD 3 core) or my motherboard? I am new to PC building so pardon my ignorance. I am able to run other games like Dark Souls very smoothly from a HDD, so I just upgraded to an SSD but it hasn't fixed the problem. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I have a good 1050 Ti NVIDIa Graphics Card, just got a high quality SSD and 2 sticks of 2133 Mhz 8GB DDR3 memory, and am trying to run Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (huge map, 100+ players on a server) smoothly, but it keeps lagging even when I set all graphics settings to very low. My system says CPU never goes over 70% usage when I run it, memory used to clock around 90% before I got the extra 8gigs, but not it's around 50%, disk is around 1-2%, (I moved the game file to the SSD and using a standard SATA with that, but I am wondering if it could still be my CPU (which is a mediocre AMD 3 core) or my motherboard? I am new to PC building so pardon my ignorance. I am able to run other games like Dark Souls very smoothly from a HDD, so I just upgraded to an SSD but it hasn't fixed the problem. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

When you say 'lag', do you mean latency/delayed action within the game world? This is the traditional definition of lag and isn't something on your end (unless there's something wrong with your internet connection). If you mean, poor FPS, hitching, slowness in certain areas, etc... that could be caused by a number of things that can be troubleshot/investigated.

Also remember that Battlegrounds is still an EA title (IIRC) which means it may have 'issues' related to its programming/lack of refinement.

Stephen Shields

Apr 13, 2017
I used that word poorly - I meant slow FPS, freezing for a second, stuff that's definitely not server side. My friends run on the same server very smoothly at 30+ FPS. It's almost like I can't load the map fast enough so it sputters and at times I can get as low as 5 FPS. It's not the game (well, It's partially the game, it's not optimized) But I know I can make adjustments on my side and it should run smoothly. Could it be my CPU?
Thanks for responding

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The likely factors causing the slow down IMHO are the cpu, as you say, the video card, a budget item at best, and any game with a huge map and 100+ players which is a ball buster for these two components. Nothing you mention brings up a board level issue.
The systems that do perform well, how do they differ from yours ?

Stephen Shields

Apr 13, 2017
The likely factors causing the slow down IMHO are the cpu, as you say, the video card, a budget item at best, and any game with a huge map and 100+ players which is a ball buster for these two components. Nothing you mention brings up a board level issue.
The systems that do perform well, how do they differ from yours ?

The peers have equal graphics cards as I do, but superior CPUs. They're all able to run it smoothly. It seems more a problem with loading in the levels consistently. Sometimes the FPS is good, then if there's a lot of action it will drop to sub 5 FPS. Is it worth upgrading the CPU for the heck of it? I've been trying to pinpoint the problem but so far memory and disk upgrades haven't solved it.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
The reason your cpu usage never goes over 70% is probably because the game is only using two threads. And it is probably the performance of one of those threads that is causing the lag. Your cpu probably has a passmark single thread score of 1200 or less. A new i3 would double that.