my home theater "build" log

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
how did your party go?

also BOO IOS

party went great, but probably will never do it again lol. too worried bout the carpet everywhere haha. i cleaned up the basement though and it looks brand new again. tripped the fuse a few times that night, but it was from my sub upstairs lol not the one downstairs. had both of them cranking most of the night.

was cool watching the ball drop in the theater room with like 30 or so people down there. everyone thought it was so badass.

redskins party this weekend!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
doh!

not getting my in wall wiring done this weekend, gonna be next saturday hopefully instead. my buddy is busy this weekend.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
just went to home depot with my friend to get all the stuff to do the wiring tomorrow. hope it all goes as planned!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so buddy came over today. we got all of the wiring done. he didn't get the electrical done completely as far as being hooked up, and i need a deeper old work box for the ceiling outlet too. here are some pics of the current state.

http://imgur.com/a/wqjzS

i'm going to be putting on the faceplates and patching up the holes probably this week and then next weekend he's gonna come finish up the electrical. can't wait until it is all done it's going to look so clean!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
looking good dude

these showed up yesterday (along with the woofers) horns and compression drivers should come next week :)

IMG_20130112_141557.jpg

Feb 6, 2007
just mounted the wall plates in the closet after the game. looking very clean :) (well other than the drywall dust and stuff lol)

http://i.imgur.com/SbBz5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HrOY5.jpg

the home theater plate isn't 100% level i thikn the hole was cut slightly not level. the angle is kind of odd too from the pic.

I hope the difference between the red and black is easy to determine on the speaker jacks, because they both come through as an identical shade of yellow in those pics. That would be a bummer to figure out after the wiring was done.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
looking good dude

these showed up yesterday (along with the woofers) horns and compression drivers should come next week :)

IMG_20130112_141557.jpg

thanks man.

yea i wish i had patience and knowledge for DIY stuff because i'm sure i'd enjoy it. i love building shit in general and doing stuff myself.

I hope the difference between the red and black is easy to determine on the speaker jacks, because they both come through as an identical shade of yellow in those pics. That would be a bummer to figure out after the wiring was done.

lol yea man it is VERY easy to tell the difference. big black or red ring on the plug. the lighting down there isn't the best especially in the closet that has no light in there. and this is taken with my phone so the pics aren't the best.

well here's a new set of pics from today.

http://imgur.com/a/G9Pgl

my buddy came over to finish the electrical install. so now i have 1 dedicated 20amp circuit that goes the left receptical in the closet, which i'm going to use strictly for my amp powering my sub, and then there is another 20amp circuit going to the ceiling receptical, and to the right receptical in the closet, which i'm going to use to power my other stuff.

i also finished up doing the wall plates and stuff, they are looking great too. now i have to finish the patch work then going to have to paint over it once that is done. i'm hoping to have all of that done by the weekend so i can get everything hooked up, but i'm not sure if i will have it all painted by then. i need 4 colors of paint heh and i'm not 100% sure i know the colors.

the previous owners left A LOT of paint here so i'm going to look through it for the color, but if not i'm going to take some of the cut outs into home depot and have them scan em.

you may also notice a metal plate behind the ceiling recepticle. the drywall on that side was not solid enough, some of it kind of chipped away when cutting, so he had to put that plate there to support the socket and what not. i was going to paint it or something but i'm not going to worry, as it's in the ceiling above the projector.

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004
Ones on the right get the Eminence Delta Pro 12A
Ones on the left get the Eminence Delta 10

Front 3, 2 surrounds? Bet that will be awesome, I was looking into the jbl version. Love to know if they are good as say triple 12s or similar.

So you got the fusion-12 tempest?

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
just patched up all the holes but 1 in the bathroom - ran out of the wood that im putting behind the wall to screw the cutout holes to. i only need like 6 inches more ... no homo.

put all the joint compound in it so gonna see how it looks tomorrow and see if i have to do another coat to get all the gaps or if i can start sanding tomorrow then painting.

i did find all of the matching paint in my garage, so makes things easier for me for sure!

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Front 3, 2 surrounds? Bet that will be awesome, I was looking into the jbl version. Love to know if they are good as say triple 12s or similar.

So you got the fusion-12 tempest?

Yea Tempests and the Delta Max which i think got renamed to the Fusion 10 Max

only ordered 2+2 gonna run phantom until i figure out a center, i don't have room to do 3 tempests across the front

i may build the Malcolm if i feel i need it

ill be able to tell you how they sound vs the T12 in a few months
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1446450/ne-spring-speaker-shootout-gtg-date-poll-and-discussion/0_100

Soccerman06

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2004

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
so i started sanding down some of the patched areas and did the ones that are on the walls. however the ones on the ceiling are a pain in the ass with one of those sanding sponges. i think i may just go purchase a power sander tomorrow to do the rest of them. dust was getting everywhere too. pain in the ass!

i did test out all of the speaker connections today though, and as expected, they all worked just fine!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
bah i lied i ended up just sanding by hand. huge pain in the ass, especially when you have to do shit on the ceiling and you worked out shoulders at the gym today. not fun at all.

not 100% sure if i sanded the compound off properly. i have a 100% flat surface on some of the areas, but on some of the edges there are parts where you can run your hand over and its not 100% smooth. you can see the compound down between the dry wall pieces but there is still a little edge you can feel. i had that on the majority of the patched spots. i'm not sure if when i paint over it if it will be fine or not.

i put a 2nd coat of compound on 4 of them and smoothed it out and will sand it tomorrow and see if the minor edges you can feel go away.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What is that Verizon box thing on the wall? I ask because we just bought a house about 5 months ago and we had the same thing in the laundry room. We have Comcast so I am completely lost on why there is a mysterious Verizon thing installed in the laundry room.