*Must read advice for ordering pizza.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919

i was referring to 1 or 2 pizzas, which the OP was referring to,
Don't pay menu price unless you're ordering a lot of pizzas.
yes, schools and such have deals where they can get 10 party trays on the cheap for instance.

a lot of pizzas is not 1 or 2. It's like 6+.

which was exactly what i was saying. thx

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: AgentJean
Originally posted by: KingGheedora
NY pizza sucks dude. It's all about Little Ceasar's and Domino's.

You need to be lynched Little Italy style.

As if there is even going to be a Little Italy in a few years :(

Chinatown just keeps pecking away.

BillyBatson

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
you are crazy
your #8 is useless
and the whole tip yes i tip and normally $3 BUT it does NOT mean i am grateful! i am not grateful he did his job that he is being paid to do. If the pasy is not enough then look for another job not for me to pay the rest of your check. But yes i do tip only because i do not want my food spit on the next time.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I dunno, I just call the place up, place my order, wait for it to get here, pay the guy, tip (my typical order is about $24... I'll just give the guy 30 and tell him to keep the change), and enjoy.

except the major pizza chains, none of the local places -- re: the places with pizza actually worth eating -- ever have coupons.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
I dunno, I just call the place up, place my order, wait for it to get here, pay the guy, tip (my typical order is about $24... I'll just give the guy 30 and tell him to keep the change), and enjoy.

except the major pizza chains, none of the local places -- re: the places with pizza actually worth eating -- ever have coupons.

Do you get a coupon mailer or something like a pennysaver (magazine thats basically all ads that are put out by businesses)?

The majority of coupons put out by the local places are either in these, on the back of receipts, or in the actual store.

GeekDrew

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by: BillyBatson
you are crazy
your #8 is useless
and the whole tip yes i tip and normally $3 BUT it does NOT mean i am grateful! i am not grateful he did his job that he is being paid to do. If the pasy is not enough then look for another job not for me to pay the rest of your check. But yes i do tip only because i do not want my food spit on the next time.

Your signature is laughably appropriate:

Originally posted by: shilala
Welcome to the world of fine print, Billy. Good thing Stop signs have big letters or you'd have been fvcked a long time ago.

If all pizza delivery drivers looked for another job, then there would be nobody to deliver your pizza, or the price of pizza would increase, since the pizza place would have to increase their driver pay.

Drivers are NOT paid much -- the tips are what makes their salary decent -- that's the way it works in the industry. You *do* pay some of driver's check with your tips. Why do you think that tips are expected? If they were unnecessary, they wouldn't be expected, since nobody would care about them.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Rule number one of ordering pizza while you have buddies over is to get people's money BEFORE ordering.

Otherwise they will shout crap at you while ordering, you'll order it, then mysteriously none of them have cash once you hang up the phone and are too drunk to go to the ATM in the 40 minute span it takes to get delivered.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Accipiter22
what does the Dr. of pizza have to say about this?

He says that generally, when placing a large order, it doesn't matter if you say you have a coupon or not... At most places, they'll simply say, "oh, you don't need a coupon, we're going to charge you $xx.xx which is cheaper than the coupon price anyway." ie if you have a ten coupons good for $1 off a large pizza and order 10 large pizzas, they're going to charge you what they normally charge for 10 large pizzas, and for most places, it's not that out of the ordinary to get large orders - thus, they already have a price scheme for such orders, whether or not it's on the menu. (And, most places don't bother detailing such things on their menus; it takes up too much room.) Thus, the entire argument above was irrelevant. No place that I'm familiar with would charge the menu price per pizza on large orders.

Now, when I used to be stuck taking deliveries, I'd always do a hand-written invoice type of receipt for really large orders... If someone got 10 trays, we'd charge $13 per party tray. Regular price was 19.55. So, I'd write 10@19.55 = 195.50, DISCOUNT $65.50 Delivery $00.00 Tax included. Total $130.00. For some reason, I'd get bigger tips than if I simply printed out a receipt from the cash register for 10@$13. ;) Usually, the tip money went towards a case of beer for everyone working for the end of the night. Very often, on deliveries, people would pull out a coupon for those large orders, I'd simply inform them that it wasn't needed, we already gave them a better discount (and show them the receipt.)

You'd have to be an idiot to manage a place by charging customers the higher price if they had a coupon - you're going to piss off potential good repeat customers if they discover that you charge less to customers without a coupon. The same applies to in-store specials; if they order something that's a special and are waiting when someone else orders the same thing, but is charged less, they're going to be understandably irritated. ie. Customer 1: "I'd like 3 pieces of pizza and a small drink" "That'll be $5.25" Customer 2 (while customer 1 is waiting) "I'd like 4 slices and a large drink" "That'll be $4" Customer 1 "wtf? Why didn't you tell me that you had a special that was cheaper?"
Repeat business? I think not.

Compare to: "I'd like 3 pieces of pizza and a small drink"
"You can get 4 and a large for less money than 3 and a small; it's a special we're running today."
"wow, thanks." = repeat customer.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont know why, but I felt like bumping.
Originally posted by: Injury
Rule number one of ordering pizza while you have buddies over is to get people's money BEFORE ordering.

Otherwise they will shout crap at you while ordering, you'll order it, then mysteriously none of them have cash once you hang up the phone and are too drunk to go to the ATM in the 40 minute span it takes to get delivered.

I have had this problem MANY times, and not just with pizza. Also with groceries and subs and beer and just about any time somebody wants you to arrange food for them. Always get the money first, and if you have to, write down what bill each person gave you. Try to break each bill if possible. Some folks get mighty upset when their change doesnt come quickly and efficiently.