moving out for the first time...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Originally posted by: SampSon
I love how all you california residents chime in with, "omg thats so cheap!"
Hehe, yeah. $845 is about right for a nice new 2 bed/2 bath house here. Maybe even a tad expensive.

That house/apartment in Charlottesville would set you back minimum $1500/month if it was available.

Damn, I want to move back.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: FrustratedUser
Originally posted by: Heisenberg
Hehe, yeah. $845 is about right for a nice new 2 bed/2 bath house here. Maybe even a tad expensive.

That house/apartment in Charlottesville would set you back minimum $1500/month if it was available.

Damn, I want to move back.
Yeah, I love the southwest. That's where I'd like to end up if possible. Until I'm done with school though, I'm stuck in Nebraska.

BrianA

Sep 29, 2000
Just agree before about eventualities like that. Gentlemens agrement.
Then you are good to go.

F*ck that. Get it in writing. And get both their names on the lease.

Gentlemen's agreements when it comes to leases are for suckers.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Predictions 4 months from now....

Argh I absolutely can't stand my roomates.... they're so messy... they always take each others side in the arguments..... they broke up and now I've got to find a new roomate.....

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Well, it is. $1450 here. That's my mortgage payment though. Not bad on a house that would sell for almost $600k.

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
They spelled Tucson wrong in the title bar.
Make sure you check out the unit that you would actually be renting before you decide, they put these in a few different locations. Also, drive by at night on a friday or saturday.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
what direction do the windows face in the one you are looking at? Windows that size will let a lot of hot sunlight in and heat the place up. That, along with the high ceilings, will make cooling the place with A/C expensive.

Hankerton

Golden Member
Apr 11, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Well, it is. $1450 here. That's my mortgage payment though. Not bad on a house that would sell for almost $600k.

Seriously, I'm on the other side of the coast in Philadelphia. $845/month for that place? Where do I sign up?!?!

Pantoot

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2002
Also remember that the university people will be coming back next week. A quiet neighborhood today might change quickly if you get one near the school.

DBL

Platinum Member
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003
Its not that simple. There is a premium on living in NYC or SoCal, simply because so many people want to live there, that is not entirely made up for in terms of higher wages. We make a bit more money, but pay WAY more rent.

And before the obvious question, yes I'm moving from NYC soon.

We're not trying to brag, we're just disgusted at how little some people pay for the rent, and yet still find a way to complain. I pay $475 for my share (out of 1850) of a 3 bedroom apt in queens, and thats the small room (8x10).

If you cant pay $280 a month in rent, you probably shouldnt be moving out at all.

Well, part of the reason (of course, there are many others) rents are so high in NYC also has to do with the fact that a car is a luxury and not a necessity. So when people say only 30% of your take home should go to rent, they are not talking about NYC. In NYC, it's more like 50%.

BTW, that apartment looks very nice. Of course, coming from a New Yorker, that really doesn't say all that much since most of us get by w/ significantly less space. Assuming that apartment is in the neighborhood of 1200 sq ft, not including the tremendous yard, I'd say it fetches in the neighborhood of 5K per month in a nice doorman building.

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: pyonir
what direction do the windows face in the one you are looking at? Windows that size will let a lot of hot sunlight in and heat the place up. That, along with the high ceilings, will make cooling the place with A/C expensive.

Good point. I used to have electrical bills in the $165range in June. Of course that dropped to $40in the fall and spring.

:D

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Yossarian
omg that rent is awesome. I pay over $1200 in SoCal for 1bed 1bath.

i pay 525 to share a room

2100 for a 2 bed/1ba townhouse

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Drakkon
any ideas which one your going to be going into? A couple of the locations are less than prime...I really like the ones at speedway and houghten though. Defaintely a great place to live at imho especially if you can get in at that price. Probobly not the best situation but a nice place is good to get into in Tucson.

the ones on mountain between prince and ft lowell... not the BEST place, but its close to work and school and its a pretty good area.. my friends aunt is a cop so shes gonna check it out for us

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: caitlion
any ideas which one your going to be going into? A couple of the locations are less than prime...I really like the ones at speedway and houghten though. Defaintely a great place to live at imho especially if you can get in at that price. Probobly not the best situation but a nice place is good to get into in Tucson.

the ones on mountain between prince and ft lowell... not the BEST place, but its close to work and school and its a pretty good area.. my friends aunt is a cop so shes gonna check it out for us

It's a gated community right? If so I'd say no worries.

MetalMat

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Man, how are yall saying 280 per month is cheap????? I pay 150 a month and live with 2 roomates. Sure the house aint that great, but whatever. It is also literally across the street from school. I dont understand how there can be that big of a difference in the cost of living....

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: MetalMat
Man, how are yall saying 280 per month is cheap????? I pay 150 a month and live with 2 roomates. Sure the house aint that great, but whatever. It is also literally across the street from school. I dont understand how there can be that big of a difference in the cost of living....

where do you live?

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: caitlion

It's a gated community right? If so I'd say no worries.

My uncle lives near there actually...I dont recall it being gated but did have high walls...doesn't really matter...its a pretty crime ridden n'hood (hes had people hop his fence into back yard on multiple occasions) and a gate/wall don't stop much from what I hear from uncle.
If its close to work/school/watever its definately better to not have to drive here isn't it? :p I hate the commute down speedway but i live on the outskirts of town practically.
I for one support ya though, its hard finding a nice place to live here especially one thats nice and in a good location and fits into your budget.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
we have carefully considered all of our budgets and we wont have a problem. we put the highest (but still reasonable) prices on everything and are still fine. we have also bought pretty much everything already... the only things we need are for the bathrooms.. towels and shower curtains and stuff like that. oh and cleaning supplies. anyway, we know that we can afford this, and im not really complaining just wondering if this house is worth the money.

frustrateduser, there are no gates. also... we only get two parking spaces - one covered and one uncovered. this leaves one of us parking on the street (probably my friend since she mostly uses her bfs car anyway)... grrr... i want to hurry and get it before its gone, but i dont want to jump into this and then find something better.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It kinda depends on what part of the country you live in. :p

We currently pay 800$/mo for 2 bedroom, 1 bath.. much smaller house than that overall..

In Oregon.

Who the fsck would want to live in Tucson?

:p

I guess it would be better than, say.. Florida. But if your A/C dies, you'll have a heatstroke. ;)