Spenok

Sep 16, 2016
Okay so to make a long story short I have 100 mbps Internet, and for whatever reason have trouble streaming 4K content. I had an older ISP provided modem/router combo... I've since replaced it with an Arris SBG6700-AC.

I have a Sony Bravia X810C which is obviously a 4k TV which supports 2160p, and has all sorts of smart options. I figured my net speed would be enough to stream that, but it seems I was wrong as it has to buffer pretty constantly. After a little bit of research it seems I need to have a steady connection of at LEAST 25mpbs to stream decently, but I pay for 100 mbps, so I assumed I would have no issues, however that is obviously not the case. I decided to buy a Wifi extender.... but to shorten that, it didn't help, and I returned it.

I pullup up a speed test on TV by opening a web browser and I'm averaging about 25-30 mbps. And that's including when I connect the TV to the AC 5ghz band.

I've also been doing some research and I've noticed the modem/router I bought only supports 8x4 channels, which seems to be on the low end. The problem is I can't seem to find a good answer as to why more channels is a good thing. I've been told conflicting things by different people. One saying more channels could mean faster speed, and another telling me it's only to help prevent data connection congestion, and that if I'm connected, more channels doesn't help with getting faster speed. So some clarification would be great there too.

I returned my old modem today, and had them transfer over to the new modem, and while I was there I decided to up the net speed to 200mbps because it was only an extra $10 a month. I'm not sure if I can see those benefits right away or not, but so far that hasn't helped either.

Also, I've since noticed when watching youtube 4K videos is when I have the majority of my issues, though when I stream Netflix 4K content it works fine 99% of the time. I assume that's because Netflix has a dynamic resolution streaming thing they've got going on in the background...?

I would absolutely love to see this issue resolved. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Try it wired.

Don't speed test over wireless, test over wired to see what you're getting

Spenok

Sep 16, 2016
Try it wired.

Don't speed test over wireless, test over wired to see what you're getting

I would love to, but the problem is I can't move my modem without having to pay a service fee to the ISP, and it's on top of the mantle above the fireplace. So none of my devices are close enough for me to hardwire anything :/

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Speed testing can't really be trusted over wifi. You don't need to leave a laptop/pc plugged in permanently.

Spenok

Sep 16, 2016
Speed testing can't really be trusted over wifi. You don't need to leave a laptop/pc plugged in permanently.

I understand I'm going to lose performance over wifi, but that still wouldn't alleviate my need to use wifi.

Do you know about the channels? Is more better for a stronger/faster connection? What about the speeds?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
You can't say "I'm not getting the speeds my isp says I should" and not test it with a cable

Channel bonding is about throughput defined for cable internet by the docsis standard, although channel bonding is used in other communication technologies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Here what my checklist would be:

1. Check ISP using wired.
2. See if there's any networks close by with a strong signal, could be causing some interference.
3. Wireless survey. Where is the WAP compared to the TV? Walls? Floors? Distance?
4. See if there's new firmware for the TV.
5. Try a different 4k capable device if u can.

ylin0811

Jun 1, 2015
It sounds like your TV is connected at 802.11g if there are no obstruction in the radiowave path. Do you have a laptop? Place your laptop right next to the tv and do a speed test to see how much you get. This should give you a good idea on whether the issue is on the TV (antenna wise) or interference/obstruction (especially brick/concrete walls)

Spenok

Sep 16, 2016
Here what my checklist would be:

1. Check ISP using wired.
2. See if there's any networks close by with a strong signal, could be causing some interference.
3. Wireless survey. Where is the WAP compared to the TV? Walls? Floors? Distance?
4. See if there's new firmware for the TV.
5. Try a different 4k capable device if u can.

Okay so I tested my laptop in its normal spot, which is about 8 or so feet away, although there is a wall just barely in the way with the door right next to it and got about average of 55mbps. Pulled it over to the modem and got average of 95mbps right next to it. Plugging it in I got the same I did over wifi right next to it, that being 95. I then took it over to my TV, which is probably about 15 feet away from the modem, also with a wall in the way as it's a different room. The laptop was pulling about 70mbps over wifi in that spot. The TV got about 30 every time I ran it. Both on the 5ghz band every time I ran it. so maybe it's the TV then, and I just need to find some way to hardwire it?

Also, do you guys have any idea of how long it takes to see the increased net speed I requested?

Spenok

Sep 16, 2016
It sounds like your TV is connected at 802.11g if there are no obstruction in the radiowave path. Do you have a laptop? Place your laptop right next to the tv and do a speed test to see how much you get. This should give you a good idea on whether the issue is on the TV (antenna wise) or interference/obstruction (especially brick/concrete walls)

See reply above.

ylin0811

Jun 1, 2015
Based on your description, it looks like your sony tv is only equipped with 1x1 antenna, which is really bad. I don't know why they would do this for a 4k tv that requires high bandwidth.

The only way i can think of to fix this would be to adjust the channel width for 5ghz from 20mhz to 40mhz. (not hybrid). This should increase your bandwidth since it essentially doubles the width for transmission. The only downside would be not all devices support 40mhz channel width.

Give this a try.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
To get the new 200 speeds, you may need to full power cycle the modem.

If changing from 20 to 40mhz doesn't help, you can look into a client bridge device. Either buy one or get a ddwrt router and config it like that