[MMO] World of Warships

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I've been giving the Russian DD's a lot of play time recently and just hit t6 with them, the grind to t7 and the Kiev is gonna be sad with only 4km torpedo range :(
Yikes. Recently I looked at the German and Russian lines cause I wanted to start a new country to add to what I am trying to rank up since the game started (American and Japanese Cruisers, Japanese Battleships and Destroyers). I was actually going to do the Russian DDs cause I love destroyer gameplay (well, I love the torpedo gameplay) but saw the shit torpeedus range and went to the German cruisers instead. Good luck dude!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I just finished grinding Kawatchi. That ship almost made me quit the game. Then get to the Mogwai...ugh..just as bad if not worse.

I prefer DD's and Cruisers for sure.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
russian DDs are basically cruisers with their 10 km detect range. You shouldn't even miss the torps on those ships with the amazing guns. The 4km torps are only there for ambushes or yolo runs.

If you want to torp play IJN boats...

Yeah that's how i have been playing them, going after the other dd's mainly

Yikes. Recently I looked at the German and Russian lines cause I wanted to start a new country to add to what I am trying to rank up since the game started (American and Japanese Cruisers, Japanese Battleships and Destroyers). I was actually going to do the Russian DDs cause I love destroyer gameplay (well, I love the torpedo gameplay) but saw the shit torpeedus range and went to the German cruisers instead. Good luck dude!

I tried the German line, i found Karlsruhe to be a horrible ship and gave up in favour of the Russian DD's. I've only played the American Cruiser line up to the Cleveland until now.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just finished grinding Kawatchi. That ship almost made me quit the game. Then get to the Mogwai...ugh..just as bad if not worse.

I prefer DD's and Cruisers for sure.

Yeah, the Japanese BB's have a really bad grind through the first few tiers. The American line seems to be a much easier going, you just need to learn how to use your armor and angle appropriately (some cruisers are a pain, but many of them have been nerfed).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I free-exp'd the karlsuhe. It's pretty fucking terrible, played a total of 4 games in it. Konigsberg is awesome though.

I actually don't mind the myogi, with the top hull and fully upgraded it's not so bad. Plus its so much faster than the wyoming. It has incredible range (20 km?) and it can kite like no other since 2 of its turrets are in the back and its faster than most things in its tier. Kongo(5), fuso(6) and nagato(7) are all better than their USN counterparts.

USN BBs are painfully slow until tier 8 and you'll likely lose more than a few games because you can't flex to the other side of the map at 20 knts. Their range also sucks compared to IJN, they're literally shotguns. Even the NC isn't fantastic at tier 8, it's pretty mediocre because of the ridiculous dispersion and floaty shells.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
American BBs angled can be effective at short range. The Colorado gets a bad rap. But if it can trap an enemy at around 12-14km it can hurt their feelings. The problem is public games getting a team to rally around a Colorado is lol worthy. Most would rather run off the corner of a map and shoot from max range while a Colorado or New Mexico tanks.

I haven't played in about 2 months now.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
CO isn't bad, its just worse than the nagato. 20 knt speed means it can't change sides on a map and will often time spend 5 minutes trying to get somewhere. CO's shorter and harder to torp and zig zags better though.

CO's also not very good because its deck armor gets overmatched by 16" guns, anything tier 7+ BB shooting at it with plunging fire will do tremendous damage. The belt armor is only good under 12 kms, a range it struggles to get into. Plus nagato brawls just as well and has almost 16k more hp.

That being said if you get too close to a CO you'll get deleted. 16" guns are no joke.

catnapper

Jul 19, 2010
Anyone here still interested in this?

They have a referral program with rewards for the "new" player and some lesser rewards for me as the referring player. (Very lesser: a port slot and some junk)

I have seen these things posted before in the "Star Citizen" thread so I guess it is ok.

Basically, you can be a new player opening a brand new account or an old player who hasn't logged into WoWs in the past three months or longer.

Here are some details from the site:

Help beginners get off to a good start
Your friends are entitled to bonuses, too.

Recruits aren't necessarily brand-new players -- they can be friends who haven't played in three months, or players who only progressed up to Service Record level 3.

Each newcomer registered through your referral link gets these gifts for making their first steps in the game easier and more enjoyable:
DIANA (TIER II)
Rewarded for playing one battle

TEXAS (TIER V)
Rewarded for the first battle in a tier VI ship
More on Rewards

(The two) ships come with a free Port slot and a Commander with three Skills.

USS Texas comes with these additional rewards:

Port slot
3,000,000 Credits
80,000 Free XP
25 of every type of Signal Flag

In order to receive rewards like Signal Flags, you'll need to be Service Record level 8. To receive Free XP, then you must be Service Record level 5.

Diana is nothing special (a collector ship). Texas is a "New York" class BB with extra AntiAircraft ability.

I wouldn't suggest grinding USN Battleships if you are new as you'd largely be getting a ship you already have in the Texas. German Cruisers can be fun, but tier II and III in particular are annoying to play because of bad shell arcs.

Here is the link you have to follow when starting a new account under this program or logging in to an old account that hasn't been active for at least three months. Notice the other requirements you need to meet to get the Texas and other goodies.

http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/n332dKD

It's case sensitive - note the capital KD at the end. Don't forget to Accept the referral.

Edit: This code is for the NA server only.

From a forum post:

Make sure he accepted the referral. It happened to a friend of mine that he followed the link, created an account, and started playing. He didn't get the Diana. He followed the link again and used the log in option. That time he got a popup to accept the referral.

OK, go get a Texas. Might take a while.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I play every so often. It's a pretty fun game, especially if your team somehow acts like a team instead of every tard running off and playing like they're the only one on the team. Working my way, slooooooooooowly, through Japanese battleships and destroyers, German cruisers, and American cruisers (mainly).

I'm finding I enjoy battleship gameplay more than I used to. I liked it my first few games and then hated it, mainly cause of the super long reload times between shots. But now I don't mind that as much, and I also tend to not shoot all guns at once, and usually will take a shot and see how it lands and then adjust, so if I've got 3 or 4 guns I don't have to wait long between shots. Less waiting makes it more fun, for me anyway.

Oh, and recently I completed a Mission and got some Japanese BB with an anime-like captain. I forget the ship name. But I don't see where I can sail the thing; it's not in a ship slot.

TY-1

Mar 27, 2013
Oh, and recently I completed a Mission and got some Japanese BB with an anime-like captain. I forget the ship name. But I don't see where I can sail the thing; it's not in a ship slot.

To play as the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime ships you need to go into your Port and select a different Port location. To do so is rather simple.

In the Upper Left corner you should see a small blue square with a white anchor. When you mouse over it you will see a message "Select Port" appear. Click on it and you will be taken to the Select Port Screen. Select the Yokosuka Port and it will change your current Port over to it. You should then see any of the anime ships that you have earned, as they are tied to the Yokosuka Port due to that being a feature of the Arpeggio Blue Steel anime.

Hope that helps.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I still play a couple of times a week...when are we going to see some British ships?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I play a few games every few weeks. My shooting is terrible now. And it seems like everybody is a sniper. CO cant tank much unless it is in an equal level match. But it seems like a solid 80% of my games are against T8-9 which gets it destroyed. The Colorado is why I mostly stopped playing the game. Would like to get into the North Carolina and higher. But the CO is so dreadful even when my play was decent. Now it is near impossible for me to do a damn thing because my play ability matches the ship.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
To play as the Arpeggio of Blue Steel anime ships you need to go into your Port and select a different Port location. To do so is rather simple.

In the Upper Left corner you should see a small blue square with a white anchor. When you mouse over it you will see a message "Select Port" appear. Click on it and you will be taken to the Select Port Screen. Select the Yokosuka Port and it will change your current Port over to it. You should then see any of the anime ships that you have earned, as they are tied to the Yokosuka Port due to that being a feature of the Arpeggio Blue Steel anime.

Hope that helps.

Ahhhh, you gotta change port. Yup I know how to do that. Thanks man!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So the German BB line looks interesting. They are adding in the H39 and H41 though with different names. There is a video of the H41 next to the North Carolina. It makes the North Carolina look like a cruiser.

But the thing I am kind of shocked about is the HP 88k for a ship that was supposed to be 925 feet long and 70,000 tons.

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Been loving this game, hit tier 5 and hate the game. Getting retarded, maybe I just suck

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Super frustrated at this game lol. Can't even see a destroyer that's 4k away and firing at me.

Lmao I'm about 1-19 tonight, about to uninstall and forget it exists.

Last edited:

catnapper

Jul 19, 2010
I'll add (for any of you that are not actively scouring the site and forums) that until August 4 at 7:20 AM ET the skill reset for commanders is just 1 gold per skill point.

That was put in to mollify some complaints around the removal of "SA" situational awareness as a skill that had to be selected and giving it to everybody as a default.

Edit: Ends at 7:20 AM

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Nice to see they increased the HP on the H-41 where it should. At 105,800 it is the the biggest\heaviest BB out there. And it would had been if it were built.

So tempted to try the German BB line. They get a fast BB at tier 7 vs 8 for the Americans. Just just cant get past the Colorado.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Im a sucker and bought the Scharnhorst pack with the 30 days of premium. The ship itself is a lot of fun. A super heavy cruiser. Fast, turns decently, under gunned, but nice reload, decent armor. If it is not going up against T9 battleships it is pretty solid. I imagine this is what an Alaska will look like. Though the alaska should be slightly faster and have bigger guns, but worse armor.

Last edited:

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Super frustrated at this game lol. Can't even see a destroyer that's 4k away and firing at me.

Lmao I'm about 1-19 tonight, about to uninstall and forget it exists.

I will concede that the game can get frustrating. Not sure what to tell you about a destroyer 4km away and you can't see it. Are you sure your eyes are open? LOL, j/k. You definitely can't just go around zoomed in all the time, if that's what you are doing. In addition to hitting friendly ships, you'll get ambushed or run aground. I'm only zoomed in when actively firing at someone, and even then I zoom out often to keep aware of surroundings. Free look is your good friend.

Otherwise, it's just experience to not get surprised by a ship 4km away all of a sudden (though it'll happen from time to time).

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
It was a destroyer in a smoke screen actively firing at me from 4k, and completely invisible lol. Was fun for a bit but not sure if I'd play again.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
DDs are a major sore spot for me as well. Never liked the whole stealth thing in games. This is no different. They could had approached that class totally different and added to the game. But it seems like they had added some things into the game to help better spot them in the German line. Also everybody getting the perk that lets you know when spotted helps. If you are spotted but dont see a ship. Know a DD is near. Adjust speed, course ect ect in an attempt to throw off their torps.