[MMO] World of Warships

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Im going to wait on German BBs. The Cruiser line doesnt interest me. The Soviet DD line is kind of interesting. But the early tier ships are horrible.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Did anyone else get a few "gift" boats in the last few days? It looks like I received two Russian boats and their associated slots. I've played one ... it's fast, maneuvers well but is easily shot to pieces. I doubt that I will keep it for long.

The slots are appreciated ...

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I really need to play this again. I just wish I didn't suck so damn bad. I've played since closed beta, I think spring 2015, too. I actually prefer to watch YouTube videos of gameplay rather than playing myself, lol. :-/

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I really need to play this again. I just wish I didn't suck so damn bad. I've played since closed beta, I think spring 2015, too. I actually prefer to watch YouTube videos of gameplay rather than playing myself, lol. :-/

I've been losing interest in playing the game as well.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I still haven't tried it out I guess.

I was even going to try to get my IL-10 back and fully decked out after the World of Warplanes beta, and never did it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
3 Days Premium
500k Credits
Aurora Ship

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/world-of-warships-bonus-code-invite-code-key-giveaway

Hurry before they are gone...

Canada/USA only offer
Just worked for me at 11:10 AM EST too, thanks.

This past weekend I was reminded how much it matters to be on the winning team, even if you don't do much during the game. I had one of my best games ever in a destroyer, with 4 ships sunk and 20 hits (the latter not being amazing, but it was an IJN destroyer, Minekaze, so it has shit guns). I did 70,000 damage from torps. But the game was a draw (we were SO close to winning, just had a single CV to take out) and I came out with f'ing 895 XP. 8... 9... 5. What a load of fuck.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just worked for me at 11:10 AM EST too, thanks.

This past weekend I was reminded how much it matters to be on the winning team, even if you don't do much during the game. I had one of my best games ever in a destroyer, with 4 ships sunk and 20 hits (the latter not being amazing, but it was an IJN destroyer, Minekaze, so it has shit guns). I did 70,000 damage from torps. But the game was a draw (we were SO close to winning, just had a single CV to take out) and I came out with f'ing 895 XP. 8... 9... 5. What a load of fuck.

Actually, I find it much more even than WoT. On a loss it is damn hard to get 1k exp in WoT. In WoWS it is much more possible and often done every game by the top 2 losing contributors.

Also, you get much more experience for %damage done on a ship than raw damage done. So if you solo a destroyer 100%, you get more exp than doing 50% damage to a BB.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually, I find it much more even than WoT. On a loss it is damn hard to get 1k exp in WoT. In WoWS it is much more possible and often done every game by the top 2 losing contributors.

Also, you get much more experience for %damage done on a ship than raw damage done. So if you solo a destroyer 100%, you get more exp than doing 50% damage to a BB.

Yes, this is on of the things that I really like about the current system. Even if MM puts you on the team that is essentially screwed, the top people on the losing team still get decent exp. I also think the exp is more based on % of damage against a ship as well as factoring in total damage vs hp of your own ship (so that if you are in a cruiser that only has 12-13k hp but did 20k damage, you are going to get some decent exp for the match).

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hmm. Good to know about the XP earning. I don't recall how damaged the ships I sunk were before I torped them. I would think one or maybe two were full health, though. I do know I was in the top three on the team, maybe second or first. I'll have to check when I get home later.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
got the keys, assuming I'll only be able to use the bonus though as I have an existing account?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Game is approaching unplayable levels right now. With CVs non-existent each game plays the same way. Each team gets 3-5 DDs. Whichever teams DDs win the DD fight goes on to pick off every other ship via invisibility + mass torp spam.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Game is approaching unplayable levels right now. With CVs non-existent each game plays the same way. Each team gets 3-5 DDs. Whichever teams DDs win the DD fight goes on to pick off every other ship via invisibility + mass torp spam.

I've been playing for months now and finally reached level 9 after many, many battles. I suppose that level 9 is the "highest" level attainable as the game shows no way to proceed further. I guess that by the time that you've completed level 9 you should have the skills needed to be successful in WOW ... and now it is time to drop some cash (and I do mean CASH) into buying doubloons if I want to proceed past tier 3/4 ships.

If I am misunderstanding the game and the business model please correct me ...

Thank you!

catnapper

Jul 19, 2010
I've been playing for months now and finally reached level 9 after many, many battles. I suppose that level 9 is the "highest" level attainable as the game shows no way to proceed further. I guess that by the time that you've completed level 9 you should have the skills needed to be successful in WOW ... and now it is time to drop some cash (and I do mean CASH) into buying doubloons if I want to proceed past tier 3/4 ships.

Thank you!

dud, I'll give you the short answer: No. Unless you don't play much for one reason or another, getting past tier 4 in ships is not hard.

You probably play several ship classes? I only play cruisers. Since late closed beta.

I'm an average player with a T8 cruiser. I have the USN New Orleans, which I don't play anymore because the "NO" is simply a drag on the team in most T8 matches in the hands of an average captain. (If anyone else is reading this, just compare it to the Mogami...torps, HE spam, what exactly will T8 - T10 BBs fear from a cruiser? Hint: not the "NO".)

Back on topic. I've never spent a dime on the game. Fully upgraded, certain ships in the cruiser lines "print" silver and XP.

I can speak from direct experience that the T4 Phoenix and the T5 Omaha "print". In the right hands the Cleveland does the same. You can stop right there. The T7 Pensacola is garbage (my average opinion). I already mentioned the T8 New Orleans.

On the German side I have experience with T1 through T6. The early German cruisers are fun but not very effective, while T4 "Karlsruhe" is complete crap. At T5 the Konigsburg is fun and somewhat effective, but difficult to play for reasons I won't go into. At T6 the Nurnburg is the same exact thing. Fully upgraded of course.

IJN cruisers have (currently) a rough spot at T3, Tenryu, but every other tier is fine or better since they fixed the "Furry-Taco". Well there is a bit of disgruntlement at T9 but I can't speak to that.

Short answer: Don't spend money unless you want to.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

Thank you!

Your individual skill ranking does not matter much. 8 was the end all be all skill level, then they added 9 which allows you to play ranked battles (currently offline). There is no skill learning, it is just based on overall exp earned. You could faceplant your way to the top level. It is no different than faceplanting your way to high tier game play.

The business model, similar to their other games is that without premium, the game is profitable for the average player at tier ~6 and for the good players to ~8. With premium, you can absolutely maintain a profit at the top tiers. But one bad game can put you in the red for a long time.

If you want to progress to the end tiers, you will be forced to play mid tier ships every few games to maintain a profit in credits. This is intended so that the game does not become empty at lower tiers and forces a diverse and healthy gaming population.

This is what wargaming has stated specifically in relation to Tanks, I don't think they have said it in relation to ships, but it is reasonable to assume so.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
I've been enjoying the Russian DD line so far, the torpedo range is abysmal but you can sink enemy dd's easily with your guns

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

what tier? I'm hovering around 5-7 and there's plenty of CVs. Only 1/3 game has no CVs and low tier DDs have a thin line between invis-torps and being spotted. Only tier 8+ DDs have a safe invis-torp range, but they have a huge reload.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
what tier? I'm hovering around 5-7 and there's plenty of CVs. Only 1/3 game has no CVs and low tier DDs have a thin line between invis-torps and being spotted. Only tier 8+ DDs have a safe invis-torp range, but they have a huge reload.

T6-8. Alternating NM, Cleveland, Pensacola, and Tirpitz.

Jeshu4ever

Sep 21, 2013
game is too slow. takes about 15 minutes jsut for the shooting to get started and when im hooked on coffee forget it^^