[MMO] World of Warships

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
The closed beta for World of Warships commenced on March 12th. Was accepted into the closed beta and have been playing the game for the past few days. Really enjoying it thus far. I think they pulled off the feeling of WWII naval battles quiet well. Game seems fairly well optimized as I have all the eye-candy on max, and with an overclocked GTX 970 I'm getting 70+ fps. Really gorgeous looking game. Things get quite intense fairly quickly. Anybody else in the Closed Game Test have any opinions on the game?

Last edited:

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
It's pretty fun. Haven't barely played WoT since it came out. Have a Tier V battleship (what I've concentrated on most) with several other tier IV's. Carrier gameplay is kinda boring IMO but I'm not sure what they can do to improve it and make it more fun. Japanese cruisers seem a little out of place. They have both torpedos and guns, but aren't good at either. If you want torps, go destroyers. If you want to shoot, go battle ships. American cruisers though (once Tier V I think) start to concentrate only on guns and can be devastating (Tier VI Cleveland).

Overall, not sure if it will replace tanks (probably not) but it is a nice break.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
So does it play the same as WoT but on the seas? The scaled range of battles about the same in scale as WoT?

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
So does it play the same as WoT but on the seas? The scaled range of battles about the same in scale as WoT?

Fairly close, yeah. Definitely won't last long as a lone wolf in World of Warships though. Really have to be aware of things as you can have a lot of firepower on you in an instant with little to no warning if you're not cautious.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
It's pretty fun. Haven't barely played WoT since it came out. Have a Tier V battleship (what I've concentrated on most) with several other tier IV's. Carrier gameplay is kinda boring IMO but I'm not sure what they can do to improve it and make it more fun. Japanese cruisers seem a little out of place. They have both torpedos and guns, but aren't good at either. If you want torps, go destroyers. If you want to shoot, go battle ships. American cruisers though (once Tier V I think) start to concentrate only on guns and can be devastating (Tier VI Cleveland).

Overall, not sure if it will replace tanks (probably not) but it is a nice break.

To make Carrier ops more fun try the manual mode (ALT key) when targeting ships with your torpedo bombers. It allow you to get a lot closer leaving the enemy ships much less opportunity to maneuver away from the torpedoes.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
To make Carrier ops more fun try the manual mode (ALT key) when targeting ships with your torpedo bombers. It allow you to get a lot closer leaving the enemy ships much less opportunity to maneuver away from the torpedoes.

Oh I was including that in my analysis :p. I always use alt. But it still feels like playing a crappy RTS to me.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Can someone tell me where skill comes into play? Seriously, as far as I can see all you do is aim and shoot, other than that there's absolutely no way to defend yourself.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Can someone tell me where skill comes into play? Seriously, as far as I can see all you do is aim and shoot, other than that there's absolutely no way to defend yourself.

Most of the skill comes less from combat engagement and more from anticipation.

Anticipating where torpedo strikes will come from allows you to dodge.

Anticipating enemy ship movements allow you to get broad sides.

Anticipating enemy movements allows you to hit more often.

Anticipating convergence of enemies allows you to get out before it is too late.

These anticipations and analysis sometimes have to come far in advance. The more in advance you can anticipate, the better you'll do.

That said, the skill cap seems lower than WoT, which is why I think ultimately I'll stick to WoT more.

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Most of the skill comes less from combat engagement and more from anticipation.

Anticipating where torpedo strikes will come from allows you to dodge.

Anticipating enemy ship movements allow you to get broad sides.

Anticipating enemy movements allows you to hit more often.

Anticipating convergence of enemies allows you to get out before it is too late.

These anticipations and analysis sometimes have to come far in advance. The more in advance you can anticipate, the better you'll do.

That said, the skill cap seems lower than WoT, which is why I think ultimately I'll stick to WoT more.

I find the only way to play this game is to stick with 4 or 5 team mates and to use them as meat shields as you fire away. Kind of boring when compared to WoT, but thats just my opinion.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
My impressions so far, with progressing to tier 4-5 in all lines:

Torps as a whole are OP. My destroyer can shrug off large caliber shells if RNG is kind, I can close to ridiculous close range and end a BB in one salvo. I can with ease use my trop bombers to do the same thing (albeit with less punch per torp). I would like to see a minimum arming time so you have a chance to dodge these. Alternately, give the BB's a blister/false hull upgrade for torp defense.

Carriers are boring as sin. More boring than arty in WoT. Also, if in a tier 4 battle, carriers are OP as hell as low tier ships have little to no AA and are not maneuverable. This is something that *needs* to be addressed. Do you have any idea how annoying it is that you can do nothing to the repeated torp bomber strikes while in your slow pre WWI ships.

Cruisers are interesting, but don't have a role. They are not a counter to anything. They can not engage destroyers at range unless the destroyer has no idea how to maneuver. If they close range, then the destroyer is more likely to dodge the crappy torps the cruisers get than the cruisers dodging the plethora of torps from the DD. Cruisers certainly can hurt BBs but can not counter them either. Cruisers are FOOD for BBs.

BBs are all or nothing. Either their AP rounds do a pathetic amount of damage (dun care where a 12 inch shell hits, it is going to damage *something*), or it hits for a crapton. You have to be *constantly* aware of where planes are and manually aiming on them with your guns to shoot down the threats.

Maps: Some of them are ridiculously sized. It can take you many minutes to traverse and by the time you get somewhere, the game could be over. This is highly frustrating when you must choose between a few corridors early on and then find out the enemy is on the other flank.

Capping: Multiple times, due to the maps and scale, I have been in quite a few battles where the areas are capped out while only 1-4 ships are sunk. This makes for a very annoying time. Either you are stuck defending against a horde of ships and dying then they cap, or you are committed to the flank and counter cap.

I think the game is fun, has promise, but needs quite a few things addressed. As is, I see no reason to play anything other than destroyers (which I find the most enjoyment out of). It is exciting to play, has huge rewards when you sink a cap ship, and you have to get in the thick of it. BBs are second, but are kind of boring to sit 20km away and duking it out hoping for a crit before the enemy and keeping the eye on the sky.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I got in, enjoying it quite a bit.

Destroyers - Quick and very maneuverable can dish out a lot of damage in a short time. Good for scouting and also supporting the larger ships with smokescreens. US DDs have decent although small guns good for taking on other DDs. Japanese Destroyers are more torpedo focused. Either way though the larger ships can kill you in one salvo if they get a critical hit.

Cruisers - US Cruisers are my favorite. Reasonably fast and maneuverable. US Cruisers are gun focused while Japanese Cruisers are torp focused. Later on they have great AA and should be used to support the BBs. One on one against a BB you will almost always lose, depends on torps and skill. Where they excel is in taking out DDs.

Battleships - Slowish and not very maneuverable but carrying the big guns. Coming from Cruisers most people seem to try and dive in to the middle of a fight alone and get destroyed by everyone. The key is to hang back behind your DDs and Cruisers and hit the enemy from long range. While it is relatively easy to hit a Cruiser with the main guns a DD can run circles around you faster than your main guns can turn. Leaving it up to your automatic secondary armament to kill them before they take you out with torps.

Carriers - Just started playing these but in observation they can either be powerhouses or irrelevant depending on the skill of the player. A good CV player can drop torps in a way that is impossible to avoid. But once a DD or Cruiser closes with the ship it is usually game over.

All four ship types have roles to play and if a team uses them correctly the other team will just melt. Unfortunately a lot of people seem to be playing this like WoT on water and going solo leading to deaths and complaints about torpedoes.

Torpedoes are getting the most flak at the moment because most people seem to not know how to handle them. I can avoid ~90% of them fired at me just by anticipating where and when they are coming. If a DD or Japanese Cruiser is within about 5km and turns broadside to you expect torps and turn towards them. If a flight of torpedo bombers are heading towards you again turn towards them. This gives you a chance to maneuver between them without getting hit. A good CV player though can quickly re-position those planes and drop close giving you no time to avoid taking at least some hits. Luckily BBs can take some punishment.

This is a fantastic game that rewards thinking ahead, planning and using the right tool for the job. Only thing I fear is them making changes to appease the masses before they learn how to play.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I received an email asking if I were interested in participating in the beta on Saturday the 14th and applied immediately. How long (if at all) will I have to wait to hear back in the event they provide an invite?

Thanks ...

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I received an email asking if I were interested in participating in the beta on Saturday the 14th and applied immediately. How long (if at all) will I have to wait to hear back in the event they provide an invite?

Thanks ...

2ish hours for most... Doesn't look good.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001

Thanks ...

Got my invite in about 5 minutes.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Checked again this morning and no invite. Oh well.

Any idea as to when the beta will end and the general public will be allowed in?

Thanks ...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
When I log in to the website it still says processing for me.

Watched a couple of videos. Surface combat looks rather interesting, a bit unsure of how you gage range and such for firing.

Carrier play looked a bit like doing a top down view rts.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Noticed WoT elite are not in game as much, last week my WIN8 has went up very noticeably. Wish it was my skill, but it seems there are less top end players right now. Either way WoW looks good and I have my app in, till i get the call for beta its nice to have a few better then average games in WoT.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Felt really good to take out two carriers with my Fuso BB on a match last night.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
I checked ebay last night to see if anyone was selling an invite code for cheap. Umm no, people are apparently paying $40-$50 for a code

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
This is a fantastic game that rewards thinking ahead, planning and using the right tool for the job. Only thing I fear is them making changes to appease the masses before they learn how to play.

Unfortunately, they have always done things like that in most things.

I beta tested WOWP a lot, and my IL's that I loved to use and had one to level 10 in beta were nerfed so badly at the end of it I just didn't even play afterwards.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I checked ebay last night to see if anyone was selling an invite code for cheap. Umm no, people are apparently paying $40-$50 for a code

That is funny considering there are no codes.

Unfortunately, they have always done things like that in most things.

I beta tested WOWP a lot, and my IL's that I loved to use and had one to level 10 in beta were nerfed so badly at the end of it I just didn't even play afterwards.

I tested WOWP as well, then I tried War Thunder for 5 minutes and never went back. But sadly yes it has already been shown that the old Alpha was much more complex than the current Beta.