[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 399 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
nah did not watch, was to busy grinding hehe
i still think the centurion sucks, i'm on the 7/1 now but man its horrible.
the pinnacle of that line was the cromwell. fucking 200k xp needed to fully upgrade it until i start the grind for the fv4202? shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well the only good thing that I have really liked lately is the current mission (24kills + 7 survivals + 1 random = 250k credits). Been playing my KV-1 a lot more lately due to this. I mean, yes, there are probably plenty of other tanks that I could use, but the KV-1 in a Tier 6 or even a Tier 7 battle is more than capable of getting a couple kills, and it is just the god of the battlefield in a Tier 5 battle (as long as you are not too far out of position to help).

I have been in plenty of T7 battles where I get ignored for some reason (probably because they say, haha, it is just a T5 there are plenty more dangerous tanks), and then I go on to do something like 2700 damage when all is said and done. With the right gun, it has enough pen power to do damage to almost every T7 tank out there even from the front (exception being the British TD line, but those you just need to track (let him waste repair), track, and flank, and then alternate between track and damage).

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Do I have any hope of ever getting better at this game lol? I hover around 45% after 7000+ battles. I read about the game/tactics and watch a bunch of replays but even when I do well kills and damage, I seem to be on teams that get steamrolled. It almost feels like the MM is weighted and stacks us low eff players together!
any advice beside "uninstall" ?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Finished grinding the Nashorn today. Not a bad TD once you get it fully upgraded and the crew is decently trained. Onto the Sturer Emil next. I'm hearing mixed things about it. More bad than good but we'll see.

LtMikePowelll

Jan 12, 2011
nah did not watch, was to busy grinding hehe
i still think the centurion sucks, i'm on the 7/1 now but man its horrible.
the pinnacle of that line was the cromwell. fucking 200k xp needed to fully upgrade it until i start the grind for the fv4202? shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Cent 7/1 is good after you get the 105mm, but be prepare to deal with more than 10 secs of reload time (9.9s - rammer, vent and BIA), but the gun is worth it because it will allow you to pen more tier 9 or 10 tanks and more damage = more credits:biggrin:. Armor is somewhat trollish but don't hope on it to bounce multiple time at the same spot. BTW, my WR on Cent is way better than my FV for some reason...:( (50% compare to 43%)

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Do I have any hope of ever getting better at this game lol? I hover around 45% after 7000+ battles. I read about the game/tactics and watch a bunch of replays but even when I do well kills and damage, I seem to be on teams that get steamrolled. It almost feels like the MM is weighted and stacks us low eff players together!
any advice beside "uninstall" ?

1) Acknowledge that the "MM is out to screw me" attitude is bullshit. It is the same MM for everyone, it gets very tiring hearing this bullshit spouted by players (who typically are below average).
2) If you are playing stock tanks, stop. Use your free experience to get the good gun quicker on tanks, then grind out the next one (which will save you free EXP to grind the next tank's gun).
3) If you are doing poorly in higher tier battles, go back to low tier play. Learn the basics again in tier 1 and 2. The nice thing about tier 1 and 2 is that most tanks can hurt each-other and you can really figure out the art of peek-a-booming with a bigger cannon or just out DPMing with a 20mm.
4) Avoid tier 4+ light tanks. Unless you have truly learned the art of passive/active scouting (which it doesn't sound like you have), just avoid those lines.
5) DO NOT platoon with another sub 50% player. It is a reinforcement of bad tanking, poor decisions, etc.
6) Find a good player who streams, there are always some players on twitch.tv that you can watch and learn how to play better.
7) Figure out which tanks you do well in and which you do poorly in, try to identify why.
8) The Russian heavy lines are the most forgiving lines to play. If you do poorly here, I don't have much to offer you.
9) Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 20 FPS and below 200ms ping. I tend to start missing shots when my ping creeps above 130ms and my tank becomes less maneuverable above 150ms. I *will not* play if my ping stays above 200ms.
10) Either ONLY play arty or STOP playing arty. The skillsets in playing arty are completely different than tanking. If you are switching between the two constantly you will not be good at either. Each arty has massively different trajectories, lead time, aim time, load time, etc.
11) Sacrifice all graphics to make sure you can have maximum draw range in your settings. This is CRITICAL.
12) Pay attention to the damn minimap. Since you are mentioning stats in tankers in game, I assume you are using XVM. There is NO excuse for not knowing a flank has fallen or what tanks were last spotted where since that is now all included in XVM.
13) Know when to go back and try to delay a cap push for a win.
14) Passive play leads to losses. Avoid the magic forest on morovnka. Avoid the 1-2 line on prohk. Enough of the other bad players will camp there and do NOTHING until it is too late that you can be elsewhere.
15) Damage early is worth about twice the amount of damage late game. This ties directly into #14. If you are camping and not doing damage for minutes at a time, while other tankers die, your contribution later will mean little.
16) *IF* you are using default loadouts on guns, STOP. For longer barrel guns switch out most ammo to AP, a few to your premium ammo (APCR/HEAT), and *very few* to HE. If you are firing derpy guns (shorter, howitzer guns), load a lot of HE, and only a few of the premium ammo and NO ap.
17) Make sure each of your tanks are decked out with fire ext/repair kit/first aid kit. If you actually do damage after burning the kits then you will make back the credits. There is no reason not to have these in all your tanks (with the possible exception of tier 1). It doesn't mean you have to use them, why use a fire extinguisher when you are staring at 5 tanks and you are near dead?
18) DO NOT use a 50% crew. I assume you know you can retrain the crews between tanks, and you should be doing this.

Finally: 45% is basically the bottom level of play. Bots average 45%. To be this low means you REALLY need to address basic tanking. The only way to do worse is platooning with other 45%ers, be an AFK tier 10, tk a lot, or be part of troll platoons (tier 1 with a tier 8 or something).

If you want more help, you could provide a replay for me to look at and I will try to figure out what you did wrong.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Finished grinding the Nashorn today. Not a bad TD once you get it fully upgraded and the crew is decently trained. Onto the Sturer Emil next. I'm hearing mixed things about it. More bad than good but we'll see.

Never getting rid of the Nashorn. The tier 7 I will grind, but I am planning on keeping the 8 as well.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
1) Acknowledge that the "MM is out to screw me" attitude is bullshit. It is the same MM for everyone, it gets very tiring hearing this bullshit spouted by players (who typically are below average).

quick questions since i'm not sure how this works, say im at 35% win chance, will the OTHER team show 65% win chance that same match? i've always wondered if both sides have fucked up chances to win, like if i have 45%, does the other side show 45% as well? simply because 95% of my matches i have under a 50% chance to win according to xvm.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

quick questions since i'm not sure how this works, say im at 35% win chance, will the OTHER team show 65% win chance that same match? i've always wondered if both sides have fucked up chances to win, like if i have 45%, does the other side show 45% as well? simply because 95% of my matches i have under a 50% chance to win according to xvm.

XVM makes an educated guess based on player stats and tank lineup. It does a hideous job of it when the good players are at bottom tier. I have seen teams made up of about even players and because I am a 60%er, XVM shows our chance to win in the 70's. But I am one tanker, and better, I might be bottom tier. Sure I can carry my weight, I might even carry more... but there is no way I influence the game THAT much alone.

I have found that XVM chance to win between 40-60% does not mean much. I no longer run XVM since it has been causing crashes in this patch. It also made me aware of how reliant I was with the minimap changes. I now have to remember where tanks are, what tanks they were (when they are visible in my view range), etc.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I agree about the crashes with XVM, but I only get the crash as the match ends and returning to the tank hanger, which while annoying, is less annoying than not having the information that it gives during battle.

And you are correct about the XVM stats vs tank tier of the player. They really need to make a simple tweak for that by comparing the stats between the players at equal tiers, and then based on those comparisons, do a top down comparison factoring in additional higher tier tank help against the lower tiers (i.e. if in a battle with tier 7, tier 6, and tier 5 tanks, team A's T7 tanks are rated better than team B's T7 tanks, and thus will win that tier, then in calculating T6 tanks, team A gains a bonus of X% (based on how many T7 vs T6 tanks are in the match and how large of an expected victory the T7s in team A will win)).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The win% is pretty much a crapshoot, and it only serves to distract from the match. I've turned it off a few patches back and never looked back: I only need XVM to tell me who to shoot when I'm faced with 2 tanks. I'd be willing to take potshots at a green or purple even if it's a harder shot in comparison to the 45% sitting infront of him that has his flanks wide exposed.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i'm on the nightly xvm release which fixed the after match crash, however i get a weird one where it crashes sometimes when i click battle to get into a match.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
2) If you are playing stock tanks, stop. Use your free experience to get the good gun quicker on tanks, then grind out the next one (which will save you free EXP to grind the next tank's gun).
3) If you are doing poorly in higher tier battles, go back to low tier play. Learn the basics again in tier 1 and 2. The nice thing about tier 1 and 2 is that most tanks can hurt each-other and you can really figure out the art of peek-a-booming with a bigger cannon or just out DPMing with a 20mm.
4) Avoid tier 4+ light tanks. Unless you have truly learned the art of passive/active scouting (which it doesn't sound like you have), just avoid those lines.
5) DO NOT platoon with another sub 50% player. It is a reinforcement of bad tanking, poor decisions, etc.
6) Find a good player who streams, there are always some players on twitch.tv that you can watch and learn how to play better.
7) Figure out which tanks you do well in and which you do poorly in, try to identify why.
8) The Russian heavy lines are the most forgiving lines to play. If you do poorly here, I don't have much to offer you.
9) Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 20 FPS and below 200ms ping. I tend to start missing shots when my ping creeps above 130ms and my tank becomes less maneuverable above 150ms. I *will not* play if my ping stays above 200ms.
10) Either ONLY play arty or STOP playing arty. The skillsets in playing arty are completely different than tanking. If you are switching between the two constantly you will not be good at either. Each arty has massively different trajectories, lead time, aim time, load time, etc.
11) Sacrifice all graphics to make sure you can have maximum draw range in your settings. This is CRITICAL.
12) Pay attention to the damn minimap. Since you are mentioning stats in tankers in game, I assume you are using XVM. There is NO excuse for not knowing a flank has fallen or what tanks were last spotted where since that is now all included in XVM.
13) Know when to go back and try to delay a cap push for a win.
14) Passive play leads to losses. Avoid the magic forest on morovnka. Avoid the 1-2 line on prohk. Enough of the other bad players will camp there and do NOTHING until it is too late that you can be elsewhere.
15) Damage early is worth about twice the amount of damage late game. This ties directly into #14. If you are camping and not doing damage for minutes at a time, while other tankers die, your contribution later will mean little.
16) *IF* you are using default loadouts on guns, STOP. For longer barrel guns switch out most ammo to AP, a few to your premium ammo (APCR/HEAT), and *very few* to HE. If you are firing derpy guns (shorter, howitzer guns), load a lot of HE, and only a few of the premium ammo and NO ap.
17) Make sure each of your tanks are decked out with fire ext/repair kit/first aid kit. If you actually do damage after burning the kits then you will make back the credits. There is no reason not to have these in all your tanks (with the possible exception of tier 1). It doesn't mean you have to use them, why use a fire extinguisher when you are staring at 5 tanks and you are near dead?
18) DO NOT use a 50% crew. I assume you know you can retrain the crews between tanks, and you should be doing this.

Finally: 45% is basically the bottom level of play. Bots average 45%. To be this low means you REALLY need to address basic tanking. The only way to do worse is platooning with other 45%ers, be an AFK tier 10, tk a lot, or be part of troll platoons (tier 1 with a tier 8 or something).

If you want more help, you could provide a replay for me to look at and I will try to figure out what you did wrong.

love this post, dont agree with 10, but agree with the idea behind it.. (i think as its free, play what you want). #14!!!!!!!!! good god, how many times are the snipers going to figure out if they are at back of map in end they did NO GOOD. #12.... again 100% agree!!!!

I would add one more: DONT LEMMING!!! just because all the top tanks stroll down middle of map, dont mean you should. Support other tanks.. but 12 tanks down center with no cover (unless other teams is 100% inept) is not a good idea..

XMV- read the WOT forums, is a fix for crashing (remove a Application.??? in the XMV folder ( i think)

Youtube- watch Jingles videos.. he has some good "FAIL' and "WIN " videos.. they are of course the best and worst.. but good to watch (and many of the actual WOT videos are great!)

Last thing for OP.. dont worry about your win ratio.. I had a tough time with this myslef, still do, look at your efficiency.. you should always do more Damage in a match then your tank has HP's, if so you are at least holding your own.. Clan's I had high win/loss (high 50's) but in pubs i hover around 52%.. bugged the hell out of me.. but now I just play and do my best, the game is much better... but agree 45% is pretty low.. most Ok players should be in the 48-52% area (opinion). Pubs can be cruel.. im in a 3-27 run right now (last night) night before i was 19 for 3...

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I would add one more: DONT LEMMING!!! just because all the top tanks stroll down middle of map, dont mean you should. Support other tanks.. but 12 tanks down center with no cover (unless other teams is 100% inept) is not a good idea..

When lemmings happen there are a few ways to deal with them.
1) you join in and hopefully the push means it will succeed.
1a) when you join in, you might have the be the LEAD tank that pushes into the defense. The train can not stop. You might be sacrificed to ensure that the train keeps pushing.
2) If you are not going to be part of the train *DO NOT* advance elsewhere. You will just die further away from base. Instead, set up somewhere around the friendly cap and know that the opposing force will have to commit all the way to cap while 10+ of your tankers are rolling onto theirs. Your entire goal is to delay the cap push on your base, which means resetting the cap *after* it has gotten somewhere. Resetting at 1% does no good as it just starts right back up, resetting at 50% means that the timer goes all the way back and you bought that much more time. Your chance at a multiple tank reset are slim, so make the most of it, it will be a short and quick defense before you are spotted and annihilated. If you live long enough to fire a few times, shoot at other tanks as this maximizes the reset.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I find it strange that so many people do not learn. I guess it is because I played a lot of other games where aiming actually mattered (i.e. specific locations were vulnerable). The list posted above is a pretty good guide to getting a little better. I think one of the most overlooked is the recommendation to play a lot of tier 5 battles if you are not doing well (as long as it isn't a tier 5 scout).

At that tier you will need to finally start aiming at vulnerabilities in tank armor. You will learn the general rules/mechanics of properly angling, getting hull down, hilling, and using cover. And yet, at this level you will not really lose too many credits to learn those lessons, while at the same time not pissing off your teammates for not knowing how to do those things.

I can say if you only ever pub (which is the only thing I do), it can be very difficult to get a higher win % than 50%. I think I have a 57% win rating in my KV-1 (with around 1500 battles). But the KV-1 is OP for a tier 5. I easily hold my own in T6 battles and also do decent in T7 battles (more so because it gets ignored sometimes in T7 battles and I just DPS the hell out of people with the highest pen gun).

I have said it before, and will say it again, there really are crap tanks and good tanks. If all you ever play happen to be crap tanks, there is nothing that can be done to help. Usually the crap tanks are on a tree that leads to a good tank later, and you just have to grind through it. But there is no excuse to continue to use the crap tanks. Case in point, I don't plan on getting an IS-4 or IS-7. Why? Because they are crap for a T10 tank. I don't mind using my IS-3, but the ones above it are crap for their tier and just not worth playing. I have been grinding through the SU-152. It isn't a horrible crap tank, but it certainly isn't as good as some others, but it leads to the ISU-152 which is complete OP. T10 tanks are even afraid of the ISU-152 because that gun just plain HURTS. I also did the grind through the JgPanther. Again a crappy tank for the tier, but it leads to the Ferdi which has a VERY good punchy DPS as well as decent camo, which turns it into a good tank (when used properly), and the T10's in the German TD line are both decent as well.

However, if I had to do it over again, I wish I would have done more for the American heavy autoloader line. The T57 is OP. Same with the British T10 TD, and French TD.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
is-4 sucks ass, agreed
we still use is-7's in clan wars often, it was my first tier X and i still enjoy playing it
i HATEEEEEEEEEEEE the is-4, it was OP at tier 9 and just crap at tier X

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
Thanks for taking the time to reply to post with a bunch of suggestions. It's appreciated. I "mailed it in" for a long time in the game and now that I care about W/L it seems that no matter what I do, moving up a percentage point is futile. Someone said you need to win 1/100 of you total battles in a row to move 1%? It's a daunting task lol at 7000+ battles, I need 70 more wins than losses to gain a point.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
im over 20k battles, and it took me about 3 full months of caring and trying to play well to go from 51% w/r to 51.5%

so at least yours is attainable at only 7k battles in

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I have pretty much plateaued at 60%. My 60d win7 is just about what my all time is so I am no longer improving as a player. And I am okay with that. To reach the next level of play makes a dedication that I have no interest in. To reach higher win7, I will have to pad damage above all and that is not at the core of my philosophy when I play.

However, I say this knowing that I was never far below 50% and was a 55%er when I joined my first clan. I averaged 55% soloing and platooning and only made it to 60% after another 2 years of play.

Luckily, good commanders and recruiters really look at your 60day stats. If you are currently running at 53%, that says a whole lot of positive things even if your overall stats are in the 40s. If your 60d is still below 50% then... you are still performing below average.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
According to noobmeter my overall WR is 44.89, EFF 866
Last 786 battles my WR is 50.38, EFF 899
So I assume this means I am improving although its not reflected in my total WR?

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
if you have a lot of battles played, it takes a lot to move w/r up even 1%
i think i need to win like 260+ battles to move up a full %

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
According to noobmeter my overall WR is 44.89, EFF 866
Last 786 battles my WR is 50.38, EFF 899
So I assume this means I am improving although its not reflected in my total WR?

This is worrisome. It does not show much tanker improvement while your winrate is improving. What about your WN7 and WN8?

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
ah 3x weekend and 50% off camo
time to get camo for my td's and meds
i don't think heavies need camo :D