[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 400 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
ah 3x weekend and 50% off camo
time to get camo for my td's and meds
i don't think heavies need camo :D

I hear you. The Jackson also gets a credit boost in games. I enjoy playing that TD so that will be nice.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn was having a nice 3x weekend so far up until today
can't buy a win today, a stellar 2/14 so far ugh

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Noticed something weird today that kind of came out of no where, setting all details in the graphics section to low and suddenly i am pulling upwards of 120fps but at maximum i am getting about low 50s to about 70 or so with the rig in my sig below but keep in mind i register low gpu usage......

Found this little discovery when i was testing out a 9500gt this evening, found the card ran fantastic at 1366x768 low hitting over 100fps which was about all it can do honestly.....

What setting or settings would be causing almost half my framerate to disappear?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
download some smoke/particle fixes. The smoke/burning/muzzle gas are all terrible on your FPS. Especially in sniper mode.

edit: try turning down shadows and reflectsions on water too.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
There's a lot of "sniper scope" fixes. Does wargaming still use that flash overlay? That was the cause of the major performance issues. (terrible idea btw)

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
According to noobmeter my overall WR is 44.89, EFF 866
Last 786 battles my WR is 50.38, EFF 899
So I assume this means I am improving although its not reflected in my total WR?

I have really tried to improve my win/loss and have.. but a few bad days can really kill ya. I'm currently at 51%, been as high as 54%. I have a Pub account and a CLAN account (don't play clan much anymore, to much like work) in Clans with good teamates my win/loss is currently 58%.. PUBS MAKE A HUGE difference for the average to Ok player.. good is good, bad is bad.. us Ok players (maybe im exaggerating my skills by saying that) really hinge on some OK play from teamates.. I have no idea how Efficiency ranks.. at 2K battles (my second time around) im still in all tier 6 or lower stuff with a Eff of 1406.. no idea if that's ok, bad or good.. I know I dont live through many battles..about 43% right now.. I do play aggressive, if im in a scout, i scout (seldom shoot), if im the "shield" i plow in (after i see others are setup to support). I don't use much (consumables) and only use gold On my Shermans with the Derp. Do pay for premium and have a Mastery Badge on almost 75% of all the tanks I have played.

wall of text- for awhile couldn't win enough to make me happy.. now I just do my best.. I gauge my play by Dmg done.. try to do my tanks HP X2 (goal).. unless in scout.. then i just want to make new red dots on map.. and live..

Biggest improvements i made.. Hit up youtube and watch Jingles or Quickybaby vids.. helped me move my efficiency quit a bit (wont even embarrass myslef by saying what it was before the help)

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Oh FML.

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/31/cyber-monday-2013-shop/

The KV-220, KV-5, IS-6 and 3 slots in a bundle together. I suck hard at this game, barely play it, and yet Wargaming is still going to earn more than 100 dollars on my idiocy. Seriously, FML and my inability to resist shit like this.

I still have 145 days of premium left from the last bundle I bought, too, and didn't play a battle for 3 months. At least that works in Warplanes now too :biggrin:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm liking the x3 crew training they are having this holiday weekend. I really need to get some skills trained up on a lot of my tankers.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
Mother of pearl... The 3-tank bundle is only $81 and the bundles with a year of premium and 25K gold are both less than $100.

Word.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Mother of pearl... The 3-tank bundle is only $81 and the bundles with a year of premium and 25K gold are both less than $100.

Word.
So for 4 bucks you get a KV-220. Why couldn't they offer it just by itself? Instead you have to spend a pretty penny just for the right of buying a $4 tank.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
time to grind from the object 416, as the new object 430 will be off that for the 3rd russian medium tier X

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006

Word.

only 81$...

you realize that for that price you can get 2 full complete video games?

people are out of their minds with WoT, spending hundreds, when not thousands of $$$ into it lol.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
and how often do you play a game, finish it in ~7-8 hours and there goes that 50 bucks.
they're constantly adding new maps and tanks, there's clan wars, team battles, random pubs. there's a lot to do. i don't even want to count how many hours i've played total haha, if you watch a movie and get a drink + popcorn, that's already over 20 bucks for 1.5 hrs worth of entertainment.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
and how often do you play a game, finish it in ~7-8 hours and there goes that 50 bucks.
they're constantly adding new maps and tanks, there's clan wars, team battles, random pubs. there's a lot to do. i don't even want to count how many hours i've played total haha, if you watch a movie and get a drink + popcorn, that's already over 20 bucks for 1.5 hrs worth of entertainment.

To be fair, you are comparing WOT, a game designed to milk people forever vs. single player games, a mode that doesn't even exist in WOT. For example, Tomb Raider doesn't stand a chance in game time comparisons as it's multiplayer is simply bad and 20 hours tops will explore every nook & cranny in mission mode. On the other hand, Tomb Raider's purchase cost is the final cost, it doesn't toy with pay2win formula like WOT used to. And while it's multiplayer is bad and consequently poorly populated, TR at least gives you a choice of map and game mode whereas WOT has an order of magnitude more population on it's servers yet it's game mode and map choices equal prisoner's meal choices in worst Russian prisons, you simply don't have any say in that.

A fair comparison didn't even exist as WOT had a monopoly over it's genre. From what I gather, War Thunder is becoming the first true competitor to WOT. Which is very fortunate for WOT because early competition would have exposed a game that, for a game about tanks, couldn't get it's mechanic sorted out without resorting to introducing vehicles that infinitely deviate from the "historical accuracy" they were so proud of.

I haven't spent enough time with it so I can't claim War Thunder is the better game overall but at least it's visuals seem up to date unlike WOT's, stuck in 2008 3rd party engine is putting on display. It's site and forum look eerily similar to WOT. Hopefully it's not just another refuge for FPS rejects, WOT population is mostly made of the campiest campers that can't survive 2 seconds in Counter Strike type of games so they embraced WOT with open arms and opt to sit 15 minutes behind a bush. Traversing the least during a battle shouldn't yield the most rewards and that's WOT's Achilles heel. Hopefully more competition will enter and freshen up this stale genre.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
WT can't really be compared to WoT, yet. They just barely started their closed beta for tanks, and I won't try to draw any conclusions until the open beta has been out for a month. Now, you could compare it to WoWP, which generally goes badly for WG, but that's still a different subject.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006

personally? i never play only 7-8 hours on a game i buy.

skyrim 30$ at least 100 hours on it. X-com same. borderlands 2 same. etc.

i have 20,000 games on WoT got 22 million credits, and i never bought a tier 8 premium. Will not either.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
good for you. If you don't want to buy a premium tank that's your prerogative, but calling people out for spending money on a game they enjoy is asinine.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
good for you. If you don't want to buy a premium tank that's your prerogative, but calling people out for spending money on a game they enjoy is asinine.

well i fully realize people have the right to spend their money how they want. However, i don't understand it. For example there's a guy in my clan with all the freaking tanks in the game, spent over 10k on the game, total non-sense to me.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
only 81$...

you realize that for that price you can get 2 full complete video games?

people are out of their minds with WoT, spending hundreds, when not thousands of $$$ into it lol.

Before it got removed from steam because of the transfer to a new provider, my meter for Uncharted Waters Online was up to something like 440 hours played since I installed, and I was only up to level 29/29/26 out of 75/75/75. I did drop a little bit of cash on that game too, but not very much.

Plus, WOT is competitive multiplayer and not against an idiot computer AI... idiot player jokes notwithstanding (of which I still squarely fall into that category, sadly).

I just ran my stats, and I have 2,350 battles as of the last API update on noobmeter. Assuming that every battle ran the full 15 minutes, that would be 587.5 hours of lifetime gameplay in WoT. Most battles don't run that long, so realistically I'm probably closer to the 375-400 hours mark there too.

The product isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and I plan to keep playing and getting better. It's worth it.

I finished SR IV in 6 hours, and then got to almost 100% completion in another 4, and since then only put in another 10 or so screwing around with DLC.

Other single player titles by playtime I have logged with significant playtime:

Borderlands 2: 108 hours
Skyrim: 105 hours
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning: 51 hours
Dragon Age: 36 hours
Deus Ex: HR: 16 hours (all of the endings)

It's all a matter of if you think you're going to get value for that money. I think I'm going to. If you don't think you will, go spend it on those two single player games... and then spend another $80 on the next two in another 80 hours, or maybe even only 32, while the rest of us in here are still merrily fragging tanks for days.

Llwellyn

Feb 29, 2012
So, I unlocked the Hummel this weekend and trained up my Grille crew to man it and had to hire the two extra positions from scratch. First game in, I pulled Mountain Pass and made a mess of it because I didn't have a feel for the arcs and I'm not very good on that map anyway. We get totally wiped.

Second game in, this happens...

I managed to pull Arctic Region, with a platoon full of [-G-]. And not just any platoon, but Garbad, sela and Bockrocker. The entire game is full of a pissing match from both sides about how all of us arty players needed to die in a fire and how it all needed to be removed from the game.

t7xMiDbh.jpg

Mn8RoC1h.jpg

We managed to win, and I managed to LIVE. That's only the second time I've ever faced Garbad, and I think the third time I've faced sela. It's the only time I've ever been in a field piece though. I especially like the fact I gave sela a bad touch while she was screaming her fool head off. :twisted: Too bad it didn't hurt a bit more!

Once I get a better feel for it and the crew gets a bit better, I should be able to do a hell of a lot better than that.

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
well i fully realize people have the right to spend their money how they want. However, i don't understand it. For example there's a guy in my clan with all the freaking tanks in the game, spent over 10k on the game, total non-sense to me.

You do realize those people fund the game, right? And without them, the game would be shut down.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
You do realize those people fund the game, right? And without them, the game would be shut down.

Sorry but i have to disagree. Even tho i enjoy 1 or 2 games out of 10 in WoT, the rest being fail teams or fail driving by me, there are many MMOs out there who charge 15$ a month with every game content accessible to paying customers, and they survive of thrive pretty well (like WoW).

In WoT, on top of paying 15$ a month, people can (and many will) pour in hundreds to gain all kind of small advantages. Premium ammos, consumables, perm camo, crew retraining at 100% etc. They can also customize their tanks with flags and emblems, and of course nothing of it is free.

The game is addictive, they have no real competition and take advantage of it, it's all fine. Like i said, we all have the right to spend our money how we want, i just don't get it.