[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 396 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
i don't like planes

are tanks in war thunder already?

No, but they keep posting teasers, so maybe some day soon*?

And for the record, this poster makes no guarantees of WT awesomeness once you get to tier 4-5. 0-3 is great, decently balanced and all that, but starting at t4 almost everything has cannons and the gameplay changes drastically. I hear tiers 6-7 are where it is at, and I have them unlocked, but for now I am content with tiers two and three.

(*soon in the bureaucratic sense of 4-
d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png
weeks)

0___________0

May 5, 2012
For a game that appears so simple on the surface, your understanding of the underlying mechanics and conceptual knowledge causes vast differences in skill. I'm kind of shocked to see how bad how I was for my first 3k battles. I know I'm still only just an above average player, not great yet; there's so much more for me to learn. Still a fun game regardless.

iJDqZFT.png

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Had 20k xp left to grind on my T28. I ground that out tonight and researched the T95. In no hurry to buy one. One thing odd I noticed is that the crew is fully trained and everything is researched on the T28 and I even got the message box saying the tank and crew is elite but the little check box that you check to put all future xp into crew training isnt there. My other elite tanks have one. I thought maybe the new patch moved it somewhere but I cant find it anywhere.

alangrift

May 21, 2013
I've heard/seen this game. They were handing out promo-codes for it at Eurogamer last weekend. Might have a go.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've heard/seen this game. They were handing out promo-codes for it at Eurogamer last weekend. Might have a go.
Resist the urge to spend money on it, except for maybe a premium account if you play enough. It's a slippery slope.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea unless you really enjoy it or get into a clan and want to do clan wars, just play it casually for fun, you'll eventually reach a tier X

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Resist the urge to spend money on it, except for maybe a premium account if you play enough. It's a slippery slope.

Disagree with this. If you enjoy the game spend money and support the dev.
There are only a few games that I have played as much as this one and I've spent lots of money on far worse games.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Maybe: resist the urge to spend money on it until you get to tier 4 or 5. By then you should have a good grasp of the game and should know whether or not it will be money well spent. Premium before t4 is a bit of a waste anyway, those tiers go by pretty quickly without it. But in any case, for the love of the gods, do not buy a premium tank before you've earned your way up to the same rank. Being in a tier 8 match and having a completely clueless wallet warrior as your top tank is extremely irritating and a waste of everyone's time. Those people drag down their teams and they don't even get anything out of it personally because they can't do anything. They don't know what positions are important, they don't know angling, they don't know what they can penetrate, etc, etc.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Maybe: resist the urge to spend money on it until you get to tier 4 or 5. By then you should have a good grasp of the game and should know whether or not it will be money well spent. Premium before t4 is a bit of a waste anyway, those tiers go by pretty quickly without it. But in any case, for the love of the gods, do not buy a premium tank before you've earned your way up to the same rank. Being in a tier 8 match and having a completely clueless wallet warrior as your top tank is extremely irritating and a waste of everyone's time. Those people drag down their teams and they don't even get anything out of it personally because they can't do anything. They don't know what positions are important, they don't know angling, they don't know what they can penetrate, etc, etc.

Good advice.
To add on to this, you really don't know the types of tanks you enjoy until you get at least a few tier 8's or 9's and you've grinded through some really bad lines. This will help you to choose if you want to purchase a premium tank, the one that best fits your playstyle.

For example I would trade my type in for a T-34 or a lowe. Medium just isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow 3x weekend was pretty brutal to my win %, it dropped from 51.32% to 51.26%

however my efficiency and wn7 went up.
i've just unlocked the T110E4 but waiting for brothers in arms to hit 100% as my 2nd skill on my crew before i buy it and sell the T30. i'm gonna miss the T30, it was a fun grind.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The T110e4 is a good boom tank if you can stay hidden/protected. The gun does massive damage. It suffers like all TDs however once you get spotted and/or cornered. Stay near friendlies as much as possible. Everyone knows you have a slow reload and they'll gang up on you. You're in a T10 TD and everyone around you is T9 or t10 so they can put a hurting on you in return.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Yeah, I really like my E4 for that boom factor, especially when I hit for over 1k (~1/5 shots). Very little gun depression though, so hull down isn't really an option, plus you've got the cupola directly above the mantlet so it's kind of easy to hit. Still have fun with it though :D

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
got 100% on 2nd skill for all but 1 crew members on the T30 now, except for the "new" loader ugh, what a bs grind adding another loader after the T28 proto.....
that loader is at 80% on the 2nd skill, i'll just wait until he's 100% then buy the E4.

looks like the e4 was nerfed to shit tho haha. i'm sure i'll re buy the T30 at some point

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yes, the original T110E4 was nasty badass. I once 1 shotted a IS3. He was so pissed at me. One shot frontal took him right out. LOL Then they nerfed it because everyone complained it was 1 shotting tanks. Which it did. Now the damage isnt quite as high and the reload times are longer. Its not that hard of a tank to kill really. Your fighting T9 and T10 tanks so they can hurt you since the armor takes damage instead of deflecting shots.

Last two days I been crew skill grinding in my Lowe. I repurchased a Tiger 1 yesterday because I hear they are actually better now. When I went through it the first time it sucked pretty bad. So I bought one and the current crew in my Lowe has the second skill line at 99%. Soon as I get it 100% I'll throw them into the Tiger and play it. It's a natural fit. 5 trained guys into another tank that uses 5 guys. Then I think I'll pull the 5 guys from my Tiger 2 who have 1 complete skill set and 76% of a second and set them into my Lowe and train them faster. Also allows me to farm credits at the same time. I don't play the Tiger 2 much anymore anyway since I got the E75. That's what I been up to this week. Bought Borderlands 2 so that is taking up a lot of my game time lately.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I only seem to log in for doing dailies on certain tanks now (KV-1, Jagdtiger, Ferdi, SU-152, Lowe/Type 59 for some cash to offset any costs of the other battles since I do not have premium).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow the new 8.9 german TD line tier X

Stock 128mm – 276 pen, 560 damage, 6 shell autoloader, time between shots 2 secs, autoloader loads 60 secs
Top 150mm – 235 pen, 750 damage, 4 shell autoloader, time between shots 3 secs, autoloader loads 50 secs

to make up for it, it has crap armor but damn that's a lot of damage. of course the 150mm will require gold as usual. but the stock gun @ 3360 damage per clip.
foch155 says wtf

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006

Stock 128mm – 276 pen, 560 damage, 6 shell autoloader, time between shots 2 secs, autoloader loads 60 secs
Top 150mm – 235 pen, 750 damage, 4 shell autoloader, time between shots 3 secs, autoloader loads 50 secs

to make up for it, it has crap armor but damn that's a lot of damage. of course the 150mm will require gold as usual. but the stock gun @ 3360 damage per clip.
foch155 says wtf

Yeah, just what WoT needs, moar autoloaders and MOAR POWAAAAR.
Sometimes I wonder if they've put this guy in charge of creative control.
power-jeremy-clarkson-top-gear-power-demotivational-posters-1371363896.jpg

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

foch155 says wtf

yeah that's a load of horseshit. WOT doesn't need more 1-clipper tanks.

/goes back to ff14

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Its like they are getting desperate to find something new to add which actually makes things worse. A lot of MMOs get ruined because they keep trying to come up with something new and that usually just makes things worse. If it aint broke leave it the fuck alone! Of course WoT needs some work but you get my meaning. Just adding crap doesn't help.

Last edited:

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees what they're doing. But, I would argue that they've been doing it for a very long time, at least since they added T10 TDs and mediums, autoloaders have just made the problem more obvious.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i may go for the ferdi, i can free xp it @ 160k ish or so
is the line fun?
i know people say the Jgpze100 sucks
but i've always liked the Jagdtiger