[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 385 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Aren't all t10s hard to succeed in? My understanding is that at t10 an individual's skill doesn't affect the outcome nearly as much as the group's teamwork. Whenever I get drafted up to t10, the side with the most platooned members normally stomps on the other side.

Not necessarily. T10s pack so much firepower that a swarm of bads can overwhelm good players through sheer firepower; I've seen this happen before. They're also fairly "hard" targets, meaning you really have to aim for weaknesses. However if you're driving a situational vehicle, it's hard to influence the battle at times... but T10 TDs in an alley or covering approaches are truly scary to face down. Nobody likes being 2 shotted.

I have pretty good results in my T110E5 and have bounced a ton of shells in my OBJ 268 from tier 10s just from being in good positions. I've done pretty well in solo tier 10 pubbing for the most part... minus my OBJ but again that's more so my fault than my team.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i played the 704 all the way up to unlocking the 268. the shell velocity is so much slower, the armor while better, is still glass imo. i'm playing the same way as before trying to stay back and cover the lower plate, while it does bounce a little more than the 704, it's armor is hardly dependable. i don't think it's me as i'm dishing out the damage and kills, it's usually the flank i don't support that causes the loss. and i wait a few seconds after the match starts to see which side is less protected and go there.

should i be lemming it and going with the main force perhaps? dunno, i just can't stand this horrible win% on this TD hahahaha. damage is all over the place from 650-850 per shell

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
i played the 704 all the way up to unlocking the 268. the shell velocity is so much slower, the armor while better, is still glass imo. i'm playing the same way as before trying to stay back and cover the lower plate, while it does bounce a little more than the 704, it's armor is hardly dependable. i don't think it's me as i'm dishing out the damage and kills, it's usually the flank i don't support that causes the loss. and i wait a few seconds after the match starts to see which side is less protected and go there.

should i be lemming it and going with the main force perhaps? dunno, i just can't stand this horrible win% on this TD hahahaha. damage is all over the place from 650-850 per shell

Generally around 800~ ish per shell for me, and I don't really notice the shell velocity much to be honest. The armor I've found to be pretty dependable when you're wiggling... tier 9 shells regularly ricochet.

I just haven't played the obj in 3 months (sold it a while ago and stuck crew on SU-122-44) so it's difficult to settle back into the TD mindset, especially since I played the SU-122 very aggressively.

Mar 10, 2005
last night:

6 kills in the tiger p, including tiger p, t-29, 2 is-3's, and t-34.
troll-internet-423869482.jpg

damage dealt - 2950
epic-rage-guy.jpg

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
How do you even measure what "3000 crew XP" means? Is there a scale beyond the percentage shown in the UI?

I got this once or twice last night but I didn't see any way to find if it was awarded. This is a very odd reward system.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
How do you even measure what "3000 crew XP" means? Is there a scale beyond the percentage shown in the UI?

I got this once or twice last night but I didn't see any way to find if it was awarded. This is a very odd reward system.

If you open up the crew members personnel file, it shows an xp number, not a percentage. Only way to tell is to make note of xp before and after. I've only gotten it twice, once each on my E4 and E5. Harder than I thought it'd be lol.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

It's half-ass. They implemented missions, but not any tracking of progress on them, etc.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm liking the 300k credits for 30 kills special. Basically I run my Gold tanks, T-34, Hellcat, and Jackson. Just cycle through them. They all make money for me dead or survive and get me to the 30 kills. I particularly like switching back and forth between my Hellcat and Jackson.

Mar 10, 2005
7 kills, 3274 dmg, top gun, sniper

i don't know if i got the 3000 xp, but i got 300,000 credits for the match ???

edit:
I'm liking the 300k credits for 30 kills special.

seems i hit both in 1 fight

Last edited:

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
They need to fix MM. Last game in a tier 9 game, our team has 5 tier 9 tanks while the other team has 7. No match. This kind of match happens more frequently recently.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
They need to fix MM. Last game in a tier 9 game, our team has 5 tier 9 tanks while the other team has 7. No match. This kind of match happens more frequently recently.

The matchmaker has always been crap, and will probably always be mediocre at best. You should have seen it back when t5 heavies would see t9 heavies. It took them something like two years of constant negative feedback to decide to move to the current two-tier spread. It also took them something like three years of constant complaining about arty for them to give it a solid nerf.

Stuff like ensuring the right (equivalent) mix of vehicle classes, accounting for stock vehicles, accounting for player skill, ensuring an even matchup of tiers, giving light tanks sane matchmaking values, or further narrowing of the tier spread may happen... some day. Some of that stuff can be technically difficult to implement, but the real bottom line is that WG is essentially happy with the status quo. They have a product that a lot of people enjoy, they're making a ton of money, they're winning awards, and they just don't care that much about polishing their product; they would much rather make moderate-to-minor tweaks every other patch and focus on ways to keep its user base excited about the game.

Personally, the situation is far from ideal, but I enjoy it enough to keep playing casually, and that is what I recommend. If it is really pissing you off, just take a break until you can be reminded of the issue without popping veins. It is a game and is meant to be enjoyed; if you're not enjoying it there is no reason to keep grinding on.

Mar 10, 2005
right on, avenger

i remember when t1s would be pitted against t10s. after too long, their solution was to limit it to t2-t10 :rolleyes:

it's important to remember this game is fucked by design and reversing decisions takes an act of god, especially when those decisions are paying off in real money.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
right on, avenger

i remember when t1s would be pitted against t10s. after too long, their solution was to limit it to t2-t10 :rolleyes:

it's important to remember this game is fucked by design and reversing decisions takes an act of god, especially when those decisions are paying off in real money.

are you talking about early alpha or beta when mm wasn't introduced yet? MM used to have a 3 tier spread, but it would flip out and shove whoever is available in a game if there's no people online.

Or are you talking about troll platoons, in which the problem is the morons inhabiting planet earth?

Mar 10, 2005
are you talking about early alpha or beta when mm wasn't introduced yet? MM used to have a 3 tier spread, but it would flip out and shove whoever is available in a game if there's no people online.

Or are you talking about troll platoons, in which the problem is the morons inhabiting planet earth?

no, when i see a t2 platooning with a t7 or similar, i kill him before he can leave the circle

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the MM works as well as can be expected, but lemmings and bad players can change everything very quickly. If we could solve the moron problem, the greatest gain to humanity would not be this game.

What I'd like to see is an insta-ban, at least temporarily, on any idiot that says "GG" in chat in the first 60 seconds of the game, maybe more.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Ugh, tier 8 mediums.

I'm grinding my Indien Panzer hard because of the bonus for the next two weeks. Although I'm running about 60% wins in it, my WIN7 is about 250 points below my average. Plinking out 240 damage, even consistently, doesn't scale well at tier 8 for WIN7 calculations. I don't think it's a problem for the Indien Panzer in and of itself, but for all T8 mediums. You have the T8 heavies and TDs running around with big-boy guns that just kills the stats.

Overall, though, I think I'm happier with the Indien Panzer than I thought it would be. It has the best DPS of all the T8 mediums, I think. But getting the first shot off with the 2.9 second aim time is tough as a sniper, so I feel many opportunities to snipe with it are lost. It doesn't have great mobility and has no armor to speak of. It can 'hull down' but only to the extent that the turret is very small and hard to hit. If you are hit, anything will cut through you like butter. The best aspect of the tank is its gun depression. You can actually face hug a tank and still shoot its hull armor with this thing. The worst aspect is mobility. It has good acceleration, but lousy top speed. It can't move easily from one side of the battle to the other, so it's a terrible flex tank.

Neither of the German T8 mediums can brawl, so again, the Indien is not a complete tank by any means. The Pershing, Chinese and Russians can brawl better. The T69 and the AMX have their burst damage that makes them scary. The Centurion is a far better sniper with far better mobility. So although I like the Indien Panzer I don't feel it has a clutch game influencing trait. It can only influence a game by being in or around the fight throughout the whole game to constantly deal damage.

Mar 10, 2005
I think the MM works as well as can be expected

you will never get me to agree with that. i'd rather wait 30 seconds to form a match of comparable opponents than instantly be dumped into a game on a massively uneven playing field. with my t7, smashing t5's is equally worthless as being smashed by t9's. this isn't competition, it's repetition of the inevitable.

not only should the hardware be leveled, but player skill also. pub matches need an equal distribution of good and crap players on each team.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
you will never get me to agree with that. i'd rather wait 30 seconds to form a match of comparable opponents than instantly be dumped into a game on a massively uneven playing field. with my t7, smashing t5's is equally worthless as being smashed by t9's. this isn't competition, it's repetition of the inevitable.

The introduction of premium rounds for credits means that 5's can damage 7's, 7's can damage 9's. Can you take them on face to face... probably not.

Do you know how stale the game would be if all you had were 8's fighting 8's? Why stop there, better give the opposing teams the same amount of TD's, mediums, heavies, lights, and arty. That way it will be balanced... and utterly boring.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

not only should the hardware be leveled, but player skill also. pub matches need an equal distribution of good and crap players on each team.

Disagree and disagree even more.

I do fine in my tier 5s, 7s, and 8s versus +2 tiers. In fact sometimes I'll come out as top gun and earn a shitload of experience because I ruined 2 Tier 9s in my tier 7. Gold rounds make that even easier, now I can aim for the bigger patches of weak spots instead of the tiny little ones I had to before. It's annoying but I'm far from useless in a +2 tier game.

And I don't want a player skill based MM. It means I'll be placed with fucking scrubs all day, more so than I already am. No fucking thanks.

Mar 10, 2005
And I don't want a player skill based MM. It means I'll be placed with fucking scrubs all day, more so than I already am. No fucking thanks.

as it is, i'm lucky to see more than 2 or 3 people on my team carry a 50+% win rate, including myself, so what is there to lose? all this would do is eliminate the matchups where 1 team is carrying 14 reds while the opponents are largely green/blue. that isn't a game of skill, it's a coin flip.