[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 382 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2005
Can you link me that minimap mod?

Also, I installed XVM, and I have some of it working, but I'm not following the crazy config stuff. I don't even think the file (and file location) that it tells me to modify exists.

I am looking for like a "Top 10" ish list of videos to watch to help me improve at the game.

1500 xp away from my KV-1. I can't wait to get out of that ugly T-28! Also having a tough time deciding between Jackson and Hellcat on my other line.

http://www.modxvm.com/en/xvm-installation-and-settings/

http://www.modxvm.com/en/xvm-xvm-xvmconf-configuration-editor/

admittedly i haven't been able to load the default .xv (xvm.xv.sample) in the config editor and modify from there, it can't find a setting or some damn thing.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Yeah garage spaces (and/or barracks) will sometimes go on sale for 150, and every so often they will give everyone a new tank + slot. You can also sometimes pick up slots when they mess with tech trees, I got a free one back when they split the KV.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
they stated they will not be giving away free tanks/slots like that anymore, so it's pretty safe to say we will not see stuff like that in the future.

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
I am terrible on the Wolverine for whatever reason (43.5% win over 80 battles). Seems rational to finish it eventually, but the problem is I don't have garage spaces. Do they ever go on sale for cheaper than 300g that I should wait? I have 1k gold from my new account code. My premium is about to run out so I'm debating buying some premium.

My overall win rate sucks (its average I guess) but, its not really up to me I find, I just go with it.

The Wolverine has been good for me since I got it in last weeks event, 50.5% in 101 battles. Its my most frustrating actually because its the one I can consistently get 3-4 kills in per battle and yet half the time we get trounced, there are maybe 1 or 2 other kills by my team mates.

they go on sale every month or so. Weren't they half off (150g) during the anniversary sale? Or was that barracks?

It was both. Weekend before last I think? I bought 10 garage slots and 16 barracks slots. I dunno why. Now I have 14 empty garage slots and like 22 bunks free.

I've hit Tier VI of the American tech tree and am just sort of ho hum where to go next. I have the RAM II and the Shermans and like them allot, just need to get better at them. Between them I get to play light, medium, and heavy sort of so I haven't gone down the heavy line yet. The T1 and Locust are good for giggly fun too.

Have the Wolverine and the M8A1 elited and the the Jackson and Hellcat researched. Just racking up credits and waiting for them to go on sale I guess.

I ditched the free LTP without even trying it out.... Have enough crews to deal with right now. Maybe a German something if it looks neat and is on sale.

We'll see they are kinda late posting this weekends event...

Last edited:

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
My overall win rate sucks (its average I guess) but, its not really up to me I find, I just go with it.

The Wolverine has been good for me since I got it in last weeks event, 50.5% in 101 battles. Its my most frustrating actually because its the one I can consistently get 3-4 kills in per battle and yet half the time we get trounced, there are maybe 1 or 2 other kills by my team mates.

Which gun do you use? I feel like the 76 MM one is better, but F me I get real sick of 6 pens for 94% dmg just to have someone take the last hit followed by me blowing up within a few second. I'm tempted to go back to the 105 MM and just let it ride.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've hit Tier VI of the American tech tree and am just sort of ho hum where to go next. I have the RAM II and the Shermans and like them allot, just need to get better at them. Between them I get to play light, medium, and heavy sort of so I haven't gone down the heavy line yet. The T1 and Locust are good for giggly fun too.

If you like the american mediums, they get better as you level more. Though some people hate the T20, I found it passable and pretty decent. It's not an E8 though, but the 90mm is serviceable and pretty decent. I have everything up to the patton (have the m48 researched as well) and the grind was fun all the way through... just be prepared to use some free exp for certain tanks. (pershing, stock patton)

American heavies are all pretty good as well, and the hellcat is tons of fun to play. Heartily recommend both the heavy and the turreted TD line, and i think most people like the TD lines as well.

Except for the T25/2. That thing is pretty much a turd even though I did terrific in the tank...

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
Which gun do you use? I feel like the 76 MM one is better, but F me I get real sick of 6 pens for 94% dmg just to have someone take the last hit followed by me blowing up within a few second. I'm tempted to go back to the 105 MM and just let it ride.

I use the 76 MM it is better. It goes exactly as you say, often I get the enemy tank down to 1, 2 or 4 HP and zing! someone swoops in and tags it.

I figure for every kill I get I loose 1 or even two to someone else. I figure thats just part of the hanging back and sniping routine. Luckily there are enough mad rushers out there that I can still rack up some kills. Pearl River is great for the Wolverine.

American heavies are all pretty good as well, and the hellcat is tons of fun to play. Heartily recommend both the heavy and the turreted TD line, and i think most people like the TD lines as well.

Thanks for all that input. Gives me a way to go at least. I had planned on going for the M48 Patton but from what I've read now with the M60 out there its not so great.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Oh, where was that announced?

It's in one of the Q&As: serb was not happy about the way they handled the split and gave away so much free stuff (IS4 split, American heavy T34-30 upgrade, etc), so they will not do anything like this in the future. This was months ago though, but if you dig through FTR it's there. Though Serb's word is by no means law, it holds a lot more water than devs or source leaks.

Heck, they don't even compensate players for removing modules that they have researched and then later removed anymore.

The m48/60 difference is minimal, don't let that discourage you from getting the M48. Plus, the M60 is a clan wars reward, so unless you're in clan wars you won't ever get the tank.

Unless WG change their minds again.... :awe:

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's in one of the Q&As: serb was not happy about the way they handled the split and gave away so much free stuff (IS4 split, American heavy T34-30 upgrade, etc), so they will not do anything like this in the future. This was months ago though, but if you dig through FTR it's there. Though Serb's word is by no means law, it holds a lot more water than devs or source leaks.
I got all of that free stuff (T30 split, IS4 split, and two KV splits, I think)! Yay me. The only recent change where I feel screwed is that stupid MT-25. What the hell am I supposed to do with that POS?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I got all of that free stuff (T30 split, IS4 split, and two KV splits, I think)! Yay me. The only recent change where I feel screwed is that stupid MT-25. What the hell am I supposed to do with that POS?

sell it and shove the 3 skilled crew into the new mediums? :awe:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
sell it and shove the 3 skilled crew into the new mediums? :awe:

That's exactly what I'm doing, though I don't know if I should go down the T-62A line, or wait for the new one. I'd be at tier 5 in both either way, I think.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That's exactly what I'm doing, though I don't know if I should go down the T-62A line, or wait for the new one. I'd be at tier 5 in both either way, I think.

The T-34 branches off into both so you're in a good position.

Also weekend mission...

Condition: Survive 10 battles in a medium tank tier III or higher (excluding Premium vehicles) and deal 25,000 points of damage while driving medium tanks in a single day
Reward (Once Per Day): Enhanced Gun Laying Drive

that's pretty nice... effectively 500k, or 250k if you choose to compare the on-sale price.

edit:

bought indienpanzer, played 4 games in it. Ammo racked in 2 games, set on fire in another.

... wonder if I bought a lemon, and this is the reason why I don't see more of these tanks in game.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Indien is a good tank. It excels as a sniper so camo net and 100% camo training is needed to best use it as a sniper role. It can take some damage and if you load gold it does some really nice damage on the bigger tanks.

Hellcat vs Jackson. Both are good tanks. Both use same gun so that's a wash but the Jackson holds more shells so you can shoot more with it. Armor wise Jackson has better armor and it will bounce more enemy shells than the Hellcat. The Hellcat bounces less and actually absorbs the shot and damages easier. The one area where the Hellcat plainly outperforms is in speed. You can get to a ambush spot faster or bug out faster when needed. Its a great little flanker too if you dont get too close to the enemy. This is the biggest reason fans love it. Speedy little tank with a nice 90mm gun. Its hard not to love the Hellcat. I've always said though that if the Jackson had the Hellcat's speed no one would bother with a Hellcat.

Personally I suggest both because they are both good tanks. But if speed is your thing then Hellcat. Just be careful of how many times you shoot. Its not hard to run out of shells in a Hellcat when the fighting gets intense.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
When I read "angle your hull at them" does that mean I want to be facing them at a 45 degree instead of dead on?

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
When I read "angle your hull at them" does that mean I want to be facing them at a 45 degree instead of dead on?

Depends on the tank. For me playing German I try to angle it so the gun is right over corner of the tank. I believe that gets you pretty close to 30 degree's.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
The Indien is a good tank. It excels as a sniper so camo net and 100% camo training is needed to best use it as a sniper role. It can take some damage and if you load gold it does some really nice damage on the bigger tanks.

IMO, anything that isn't competent without a veteran crew is not a good vehicle. I realize that by t8 the expectation is that you've had the crew for a while, but if you don't use gold to transfer you are missing out on something like 150k exp every time you move up a tier. If you start a new crew at t6 or t7 it isn't that hard to get to t8 before you get your first skill to 100%.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
man i want to take a break but the 50k xp for a free day of premium just makes me grind until i get it everyday hahaaha

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Finally got the Mastery Badge with the T69, I just had to do 5700 damage, kill 5 tanks, shoot 28/30 and get over 1600xp without premium or the double. Not too bad a game, ended with just 5 hp left.

Just 15k more xp until the T54E1. I can't wait!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Finally got the Mastery Badge with the T69, I just had to do 5700 damage, kill 5 tanks, shoot 28/30 and get over 1600xp without premium or the double. Not too bad a game, ended with just 5 hp left.

Just 15k more xp until the T54E1. I can't wait!

Very nice, that's a very good game.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
man i want to take a break but the 50k xp for a free day of premium just makes me grind until i get it everyday hahaaha

Be nice to know how much you have. I'm probably getting 48k.

They should improve missions by giving progress.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
by the time i get the daily doubles on all my tanks, i'm usually only short about 3k or so.
that's going by the 2k xp per daily double win i usually get